Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Putting the means of education in the hands of a corporation: a good idea by smart people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Unoriginal Name posted:

Putting the means of education in the hands of a corporation: a good idea by smart people

Youtube?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is why you always pirate stuff and do any work you need on the pirated version. Treat the decision to pay the author as independent of the one to grab the book. I don't usually even bother downloading the legal copies of books I buy, they're usually strictly worse than pirated copies and also have copy protection. Goofus loses his annotations when microsoft decides to delete his books for the third time, Gallant knows not to trust the longevity of copy-protected files and grabs the book elsewhere in permanent form.

This sort of poo poo is why I just buy everything I want to read in hard copy. Can't put DRM on a stack of paper now can you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This sort of poo poo is why I just buy everything I want to read in hard copy. Can't put DRM on a stack of paper now can you?
It's probably still a good idea to pirate such things - things sometimes get destroyed or lost by things other than microsoft revoking DRM. Though I guess, in that case, you can just wait until that actually happens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unoriginal Name posted:

Famous non corporations, the previous 3 centuries of commercial printing. :rolleyes:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Congratulations on handing the publishers a bunch more of your money to spite them, I guess?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fishmech posted:

Congratulations on handing the publishers a bunch more of your money to spite them, I guess?
Congratulations on completely and utterly missing the point of their post, stay on brand you crazy diamond.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's probably still a good idea to pirate such things - things sometimes get destroyed or lost by things other than microsoft revoking DRM. Though I guess, in that case, you can just wait until that actually happens.

I'm the kind of person whose hard drive is way more likely to fry then to ever lose one of my books, tbh

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Would you trust them to moderate a politics or history channel properly?

Or, like, deliver educational content to children?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

Congratulations on completely and utterly missing the point of their post, stay on brand you crazy diamond.

I saw the point, the point was utterly moronic. All you do by insisting on buying on paper is hand publishers more money they don't deserve.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

I saw the point, the point was utterly moronic. All you do by insisting on buying on paper is hand publishers more money they don't deserve.

Well, you get a physical product. For my birthday I got my mom a book of poetry and dog-eared/circled a few poems that I thought applied especially well to her, along with a nice note in one of the blank pages at the front. It'd be a headache to do that on an ebook. I did feel a bit guilty about it - not about giving a little extra money to the publisher, but about the carbon emissions and labor associated with making a physical book and bringing it to my door.

And there's the battery and future-proofing issues. If you take an amazon kindle and a physical book and you throw them both in a box for a century, the kindle will probably not be usable. The book probably will be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, you get a physical product. For my birthday I got my mom a book of poetry and dog-eared/circled a few poems that I thought applied especially well to her, along with a nice note in one of the blank pages at the front. It'd be a headache to do that on an ebook. I did feel a bit guilty about it - not about giving a little extra money to the publisher, but about the carbon emissions and labor associated with making a physical book and bringing it to my door.

And there's the battery and future-proofing issues. If you take an amazon kindle and a physical book and you throw them both in a box for a century, the kindle will probably not be usable. The book probably will be.

You are far more future proofed by (trivially) breaking the DRM on an ebook you purchased than you are by spending extra money to purchase a physical book. Leave it to libraries and other experts to preserve beyond your own lifetime, that's what you're paying taxes for anyway. In your own life you can back that file up in dozens of formats, spread it all over the internet for free to dirt cheap since we're talking only a few megabytes tops and you can also print it out and burn it at home on media like M-Disc that will last many many decades etc.

Maybe you just didn't know but the ebook formats used today? They're just containers for HTML, XML, and standard image formats. Absolutely trivial to reuse once the simple encryption is defeated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

And people think Ubisoft invented bullshots...

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

You are far more future proofed by (trivially) breaking the DRM on an ebook you purchased than you are by spending extra money to purchase a physical book. Leave it to libraries and other experts to preserve beyond your own lifetime, that's what you're paying taxes for anyway. In your own life you can back that file up in dozens of formats, spread it all over the internet for free to dirt cheap since we're talking only a few megabytes tops and you can also print it out and burn it at home on media like M-Disc that will last many many decades etc.

Maybe you just didn't know but the ebook formats used today? They're just containers for HTML, XML, and standard image formats. Absolutely trivial to reuse once the simple encryption is defeated.

Sounds about right. I was imagining a book bought on amazon and read on a kindle the way amazon intends, which is obviously a massively limited form of the technology

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sounds about right. I was imagining a book bought on amazon and read on a kindle the way amazon intends, which is obviously a massively limited form of the technology

You didn't know they also read on your pc and your phone and basically 10 years of other devices? That's kinda shocking, it's not like they just started yesterday. Not talking anything unofficial, just stuff you see listed on Amazon itself.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There is never going to be a time anytime soon where you literally can't buy physical books for books you have some reason to need that.

I read most stuff digitally but like, I am still allowed to buy hard copies of the books I want to give as gifts, or I want to have on a shelf to impress girls or give to my mom or artifacts where I want to support the author or show off what I like or whatever. No one is making me decide to only get one or the other.

The idea that it's important to buy paper books because somehow specifically my specific media collection might get used to restart civilization after the fall of man or something is stupid. Most books aren't important. There is no risk harry potter or something is going to get lost to time no matter how I buy it. There are only a few books that matter if they "get lost" or if I can't pass them down and nothing is stopping me from having those books in whatever format works best for what I want to do with them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imagine if we needed to restart civilization and all that was let was an archive of these forums.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imagine if we needed to restart civilization and all that was let was an archive of these forums.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Motronic posted:

Fishmech would become a god.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

You didn't know they also read on your pc and your phone and basically 10 years of other devices? That's kinda shocking, it's not like they just started yesterday. Not talking anything unofficial, just stuff you see listed on Amazon itself.

Well sure, but I don't see contemporary PCs and phones as very future-proofed (and then you can get into stuff about portability and screen/page size). Am I wrong in that? I'm imagining the plight of kids who find their grandpa's old iPad generation one where he kept all his books, and are completely unable to power it because the corresponding cable hasn't been manufactured in decades. Of course this is all just sentimentality and in very particular cases - ebooks are obviously a massive accomplishment that should phase out at least 99% of physical book printing.

Maybe it's just on me, but I feel burned after I lost the entire A Song of Ice and Fire Series on my Ouya :-/

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 1, 2019

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fishmech posted:

Ahh yes sticking it to those dastardly publishers by buying the higher margin and often more expensive product....genius

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Raldikuk posted:

Ahh yes sticking it to those dastardly publishers by buying the higher margin and often more expensive product....genius

Aren't ebooks higher margin but lower cost? I usually see ebooks for about $5-$10 less than physical books (when they presumably cost about 100% less to produce, although the cost of printing and shipping a book can't be that high in the first place)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
"uh bluh digital media is just as good if not better and buying physical books is just giving the publishers more money"*doesn't understand bit-rot**doesn't understand future compatibility issues**doesn't understand ebook profit margins*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Well sure, but I don't see contemporary PCs and phones as very future-proofed (and then you can get into stuff about portability and screen/page size). Am I wrong in that? I'm imagining the plight of kids who find their grandpa's old iPad generation one where he kept all his books, and are completely unable to power it because the corresponding cable hasn't been manufactured in decades. Of course this is all just sentimentality and in very particular cases - ebooks are obviously a massive accomplishment that should phase out at least 99% of physical book printing.

Maybe it's just on me, but I feel burned after I lost the entire A Song of Ice and Fire Series on my Ouya :-/

Yes you are wrong in that. Like jesus, "screen/page size" is by design not an issue for most any ebook format, because they're designed for constant reflow operations, since changing text sizes is a key aspect of the whole deal.

Grandpa Tim deciding to only put his books on one specific device that broke isn't much different from say, Grandpa Tim putting his books in rental storage for a bit between moves at some point before he died and having forgotten where they went.

This is especially true for ebooks of all things, as well, take a look:

This is a book I received from the University of Chicago's free monthly ebook program a few months ago. It's in a standard format and as you can see the contents of the book are literally just HTML and standard images. There was industry-standard DRM on it, but since I was copying it on the computer it was intended for, Calibre's deDRM plugins could simply read the key and remove the encryption. Amazon's current formats also are the same way, just with slightly different mechanics for removing the DRM as a purchaser.

You can extract the contained files directly to a folder, stick it on some disks, and open that on a computer from 20 years ago. If you find it in the future, it is also highly unlikely that HTML et al will be unsupported. Particularly since these formats skip on having any kind of complicated Javascript or even a lot of CSS going on. Text is inherently about the most portable thing, and images are basically the next most portable.

Aren't ebooks higher margin but lower cost? I usually see ebooks for about $5-$10 less than physical books (when they presumably cost about 100% less to produce, although the cost of printing and shipping a book can't be that high in the first place)

Yes they cost less money, because Apple and the cabal of publishers who attempted to jack prices up got slapped down by the federal courts and Amazon's suits over the cartel activity.

ryonguy posted:

"uh bluh digital media is just as good if not better and buying physical books is just giving the publishers more money"*doesn't understand bit-rot**doesn't understand future compatibility issues**doesn't understand ebook profit margins*

This is on par with believing books aren't viable because they actually rot, and also someone might not be capable of reading written language, duder.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yes you are wrong in that. Like jesus, "screen/page size" is by design not an issue for most any ebook format, because they're designed for constant reflow operations, since changing text sizes is a key aspect of the whole deal.

You're misunderstanding - I meant that most modern phones have a screen that (in my opinion) is too small to allow for comfortable book-reading. And then portability is a concern with a lot of PCs. The existence of kindles and nooks shows that it's extremely possible to make an e-reader with a fine screen size and excellent portability, and enough of a battery that that's hardly a concern.

I'm more interested in the future-proofing stuff - is it even possible to ensure that people 100 years from now will (probably) be able to pick up a dead electronic device, restore it to life, and read the books contained on it? Probably yes for some devices and no for others.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You're misunderstanding - I meant that most modern phones have a screen that (in my opinion) is too small to allow for comfortable book-reading. And then portability is a concern with a lot of PCs. The existence of kindles and nooks shows that it's extremely possible to make an e-reader with a fine screen size and excellent portability, and enough of a battery that that's hardly a concern.

I'm more interested in the future-proofing stuff - is it even possible to ensure that people 100 years from now will (probably) be able to pick up a dead electronic device, restore it to life, and read the books contained on it? Probably yes for some devices and no for others.

That sure is your personal preferences, but I don't see what point you are attempting to make with it. The professional and pirate ebooks alike are designed on the basis that they must be readable on screen sizes from an old 3 inch iPhone up to someone's big 30 plus inch computer monitor

It's not worthwhile to make assumptions on the basis of society completely collapsing and losing all access to technology. And again I really must stress that it is inherently easiest to recover text and images out of an existing format with incomplete documentation, while you seem to be thinking in terms more akin to what is required for recovering a functional program, or a custom audio-video format.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

Books have always been preserved through reprinting. There has never been a time where popular stories are kept alive by simply having everyone pass around the original printings. If you own some original copy of huckleberry finn or whatever that is real cool, and that is a neat historical artifact, maybe you can sell it to someone, or maybe a museum will want it but has no real meaning in keeping that story on the earth or accessible to people. You can name famous lost books, books by famous authors where no copies exist even less than a century latter and how cool it'd be to find a copy of that but all that points to is how paper is no better at preserving stories than anything else would be.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the rising waters will wipe out paper just as easily as electronics so this whole argument is null

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Goodluck picking the lock on my diary, chump!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

the rising waters will wipe out paper just as easily as electronics so this whole argument is null

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/opinion/future-climate-change-flooded-new-york-city.html

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fishmech posted:

This is on par with believing books aren't viable because they actually rot, and also someone might not be capable of reading written language, duder.
ahahahhahaah holy poo poo you are seriously dumb as gently caress.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

ahahahhahaah holy poo poo you are seriously dumb as gently caress.

Physical books typically don’t last very long. If you have very old book that is cool but it’s survivorship bias and every year less and less of that print run of the book still exist unless they are being actively preserved.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Physical books typically don’t last very long. If you have very old book that is cool but it’s survivorship bias and every year less and less of that print run of the book still exist unless they are being actively preserved.

LOL

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've got a textbook on my rare book shelf which talks about the current president of the united states mckinley and what he hopes to achieve during his term regarding trade policy and tariff

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Ebooks now are usually cheaper than hardcovers (though that hasn't always been the case), but when I am shopping around for books it usually seems the paperback is cheaper than the ebook still.

I think there's a place for both mediums to exist but unless you pirate all of your ebooks it certainly isn't really hurting them to be buying ebooks and stripping the DRM. Sure, if you asked their lawyers they would go ballistic, but the publisher's bottom line did just fine from it. I would say too that the necessity of breaking federal law to make your purchased goods halfway usable is an indictment over the current state of affairs. I doubt anyone would suggest that ebooks are always troublesome... they are however saying that DRM riddled stuff gated behind for-profit activation servers that will be taken down the second they aren't profitable (and this is key... they still make a profit, just not enough) enough to meet their internal rate of return required to keep shareholders happy. And while it may be trivial to strip the DRM off now, that doesn't mean it will always be the case for future incarnations. So if you value the viability of ebooks and enjoy using them, it's in one's best interest to advocate for DRMless solutions and push back against the march towards "more secure" DRM.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
OOCC should get a tempban from the thread everytime they say something pants-on-head stupid.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

i've got a textbook on my rare book shelf which talks about the current president of the united states mckinley and what he hopes to achieve during his term regarding trade policy and tariff

I'm sure you do. But the fact it's on your rare book shelf instead of your common book shelf implies that most of those books are long gone and did not survive like that one did, every year there will be less copies of that book in the world till there is none at all. Your one book randomly surviving longer than average doesn't mean books are eternal things. Most copies of that book are long gone, and unless there is something special about that copy it too will be gone sometime too. Odds are very low that is the text book people are gonna be digging up like the dead sea scrolls or something a thousand years from now.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
My glorious collection of text files on 3.5in floppies will last into the apocalypse. I'll show you all!!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm sure you do. But the fact it's on your rare book shelf instead of your common book shelf implies that most of those books are long gone and did not survive like that one did, every year there will be less copies of that book in the world till there is none at all. Your one book randomly surviving longer than average doesn't mean books are eternal things. Most copies of that book are long gone, and unless there is something special about that copy it too will be gone sometime too. Odds are very low that is the text book people are gonna be digging up like the dead sea scrolls or something a thousand years from now.

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cool, a chart showing that digital books (in this case PDF) are incredibly easy to access. Kinda amazing that you missed that!