Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Munkeymon posted:

Considering that basically means "non-consumable property", it's... mixed, I guess?

It's just as bad. Capital is a resource, each unit of it is identical and interchangeable, and prefixing it with the word "human" doesn't stop these terms from subtly influencing large groups of people from considering other people to be just a little bit less important, a little less worth consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Humans aren't resources, they're property. :histdowns: In this grand, new millennium it's called "marriage" for an individual and "employment" for large groups.

Now that (bit of slight sarcasm) honestly makes me wonder what classic slavery would have looked like with agile methodologies.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Che Delilas posted:

It's just as bad. Capital is a resource, each unit of it is identical and interchangeable, and prefixing it with the word "human" doesn't stop these terms from subtly influencing large groups of people from considering other people to be just a little bit less important, a little less worth consideration.

I mean, yeah, but you're not consumable by implication, at least :kiddo:

Of course, in practice, you totally are.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Today I found out this existed and one just opened up a few miles from me c/o our community newspaper: https://www.codeninjas.com/

Local newspaper posted:

Code Ninjas, a martial arts-themed coding center that teaches children to code through the use of video games, opened...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Coding themed martial arts is next.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Today I found out this existed and one just opened up a few miles from me c/o our community newspaper: https://www.codeninjas.com/

I still run the other way whenever I see "code ninja" on a job ad. Same goes for "guru" or "superhero".

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I still run the other way whenever I see "code ninja" on a job ad. Same goes for "guru" or "superhero".

rock star

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't remember whether I posted this here, but it's relevant.

America’s Job Listings Have Gone Off the Deep End

quote:

Alley, a co-working space in New York, seeks a social-media and marketing manager at the company who is “one part visionary, one part online warrior, one part pop-culture guru, a dash of precocious energy, mixed with a little lyrical whimsey, and served with a shot of espresso.” A listing for an Atlanta-based “customer support hero” at the software company Autodesk wants to hear from you if you’re “a ninja with your keyboard” who has “a passion for incredible customer service.”

For some employers, even elite warrior skills aren’t enough. “If a sense of humor isn’t your sixth sense, then even certified marketing ninjas need not apply,” asserts the description for a marketing director at an upstate New York paper company.

These listings weren’t hard to find. A short scroll through a popular job board revealed thousands of results with similar keywords. More than ever, it seems, hiring managers are looking for extremists: You can’t just be willing to do the job. You must evince an all-consuming horniness for menial corporate tasks. In an American labor market where wages are stagnant and many workers feel their jobs seeping into their personal time, such demands only create even more anxiety and dread for Americans looking for a new gig.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I’m adding “horny for work” to my LinkedIn now...

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Another choice paragraph from that article:

quote:

Of course, to brag about being a great employer, it helps to be one. Siegel sees plenty of resistance to offering things applicants might actually want—namely, money and flexibility. In a survey ZipRecruiter conducted last year, he says, most employers said they were focusing all their recruiting efforts on job listings themselves. “Instead of doing things like lowering the skills required or improving the pay, it was all about how much they were spending on more job boards or more recruiting solutions,” Siegel says. “There was a real resistance to responding to the market that was telling you that if you want to get good talent, you have to improve your offer.”

Not very surprising, I know.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm pretty disinclined to even apply to jobs nowadays, which limits the number of postings I see. Out of all the interview experiences this unemployment cycle after my previous company shut down, everything I applied to online was either ghosting or six weeks between application and first contact from a frontend recruiter. Everything where I spoke with a recruiter or had an internal referral was days between contact and first screen, and days between screen and second-round interview. Even a top-tier ATS like Greenhouse is a black hole to me, and having to apply through one while I'm looking is a pretty good indication that another company is going to move faster.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I have just discovered that somebody has checked in a .git folder into the svn repository for this application I'm maintaining.
edit: also a number of node_modules, dist, bin and obj folders. :bang:

beuges fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 1, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

beuges posted:

I have just discovered that somebody has checked in a .git folder into the svn repository for this application I'm maintaining.

I heard from coworkers who made the switch years ago that it is possible to configure git/svn interop and push a git branch into svn using the git command line tool. I suppose this is not how you do that?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I heard from coworkers who made the switch years ago that it is possible to configure git/svn interop and push a git branch into svn using the git command line tool. I suppose this is not how you do that?

the proper way is git-svn, which will treat a Sven repo as a git repo for the contributor.

what OP describes is a hostile migration technique or a badly versioned dependency.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

leper khan posted:

the proper way is git-svn, which will treat a Sven repo as a git repo for the contributor.

what OP describes is a hostile migration technique or a badly versioned dependency.

Or - and never discount the possibility - an incompetent and/or lazy co-worker.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

redleader posted:

Or - and never discount the possibility - an incompetent and/or lazy co-worker.

Do we really need to enumerate both causes of badly versioned dependencies? :v:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

beuges posted:

I wanted to say
code:
git revert
but that is kind of the problem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m glad that I have this job and all, but man is getting things done like pulling teeth. My fellow engineers absolutely hate doing code reviews and have to be goaded into looking at PRs, even though they put their own up and clamor for others to look at them. I’m pulling most of the weight on reviews and rarely get any attention in return until I ask for it.

They’re also extremely resistant to and scared of anything that’s even slightly odd to them. I have a PR up that removes several unused database fields (as in they are all nil in production and not referenced anywhere), and the response has mostly been “oh no we’re removing fields this is too much I can’t handle it, can we call a party to explain what’s happening here”. My PRs have like paragraphs of explanation in their descriptions! Read the drat descriptions!

Don’t even get me started on modern dev practices or doing anything more complicated than adding a field somewhere. Any PRs larger than 20 LOCs of changes are avoided like the plague.

I really feel like I’m working with morons sometimes. I get that it’s an awful thing to think and feel, but I feel held back by them sometimes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People don't read things. It's sad but true. Are you discussing your changes with people before you submit the PR? If not, try that out and see if it makes a difference.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

beuges posted:

Reminds me of the time I set up source control at a company for the first time and immediately had to learn how to make SVN reject .bak, .001, .002, etc. files :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ultrafilter posted:

People don't read things. It's sad but true.

In fact, seeing lots of text immediately will install panic and anxiety. This has been bad for me in the past when I have presented comprehensive task planning for multiple people for a year. I should have just sent a Powerpoint slide of "it's all good!" and left the details offline. Yes, this happened more than once with different people.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I really feel like I’m working with morons sometimes. I get that it’s an awful thing to think and feel, but I feel held back by them sometimes.

I always genuinely want to believe that I can just hand things off and that it will be fine, but here I am, watching my co-worker fail at actually fixing a completely trivial problem that he supposedly fixed last week. Something on the database doesn't work because the user doesn't have permissions. I even copied the revelant error messages from the log to him. He "fixed" that problem, eventually. However, he didn't change permissions for any of the underlying tables, so while the error is somewhat different, the outcome is the same. He's sure he has fixed it.

I don't want to feel like I work with morons, but the combination of not asking questions, not investigating, and not being aware of one's shortcomings absolutely kills me.

I would love, love, love, to hand things off more regularly and then jump back in when I have more time, but I know for a fact that the only sensible way to hand something off is to never return to it, because it will absolutely suck. I mean, how do you inherit a decently tested codebase, change stuff, and never even run the loving tests ever, which would have loving told you exactly what you broke, what the fuuuuuuuuuck. This is a problem, because we are finally trying to get people to draw tasks more from a common pool, rather than just draw things preassigned to them, but I already know I'm going to curse when it actually happens more.

That last bit fits a bit more here, rather than that vaguely E/N bit, though. Basically we switched our board to be more of a Kanban board, and we have personalised lanes. On top of that, we have a general prioritised backlog with 3 priorities (must, should, nice to have) + fastlane, with some things assigned to specific people (we inherently live in a multi-project environment, so not everything is relevant for everybody), while the general assumption is that people draw the first thing they can do based on overall prioritisation. We have also (mostly) retired the idea of finishing tasks in a day, since that wasn't a great fit for many of the things we do. One thing I really like about the new board is that we now mark with an arrow if we move a task from one day to the next, which means you get to see how often something gets dragged along, or how often something hangs without getting finished, or how often other tickets leapfrog a task. I sincerely hope that this will help us get better at both splitting tasks, and at making sure we spend less time juggling different tasks. Our processes are very much a work in progress.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t even get me started on modern dev practices or doing anything more complicated than adding a field somewhere. Any PRs larger than 20 LOCs of changes are avoided like the plague.
Aren't you the lucky one? You'll sing a different tune when every PR is over 500 lines of changes, often spread over twenty files, and sometimes over a dozen packages. "But I just used my favorite IDE and it updated everything automatically!". "Oh fine whatever". Then production breaks.

Next time, "No it's impossible to change this incrementally, here's 2000 lines of consumer changes". :eng99:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

I always genuinely want to believe that I can just hand things off and that it will be fine, but here I am, watching my co-worker fail at actually fixing a completely trivial problem that he supposedly fixed last week. Something on the database doesn't work because the user doesn't have permissions. I even copied the revelant error messages from the log to him. He "fixed" that problem, eventually. However, he didn't change permissions for any of the underlying tables, so while the error is somewhat different, the outcome is the same. He's sure he has fixed it.

I don't want to feel like I work with morons, but the combination of not asking questions, not investigating, and not being aware of one's shortcomings absolutely kills me.

I would love, love, love, to hand things off more regularly and then jump back in when I have more time, but I know for a fact that the only sensible way to hand something off is to never return to it, because it will absolutely suck. I mean, how do you inherit a decently tested codebase, change stuff, and never even run the loving tests ever, which would have loving told you exactly what you broke, what the fuuuuuuuuuck. This is a problem, because we are finally trying to get people to draw tasks more from a common pool, rather than just draw things preassigned to them, but I already know I'm going to curse when it actually happens more.

That last bit fits a bit more here, rather than that vaguely E/N bit, though. Basically we switched our board to be more of a Kanban board, and we have personalised lanes. On top of that, we have a general prioritised backlog with 3 priorities (must, should, nice to have) + fastlane, with some things assigned to specific people (we inherently live in a multi-project environment, so not everything is relevant for everybody), while the general assumption is that people draw the first thing they can do based on overall prioritisation. We have also (mostly) retired the idea of finishing tasks in a day, since that wasn't a great fit for many of the things we do. One thing I really like about the new board is that we now mark with an arrow if we move a task from one day to the next, which means you get to see how often something gets dragged along, or how often something hangs without getting finished, or how often other tickets leapfrog a task. I sincerely hope that this will help us get better at both splitting tasks, and at making sure we spend less time juggling different tasks. Our processes are very much a work in progress.

feelin lots of panic and axiety rn

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

feelin lots of panic and axiety rn

Obviously you're not working with me then, because here, everything is always easy, already done, and never a problem!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Aren't you the lucky one? You'll sing a different tune when every PR is over 500 lines of changes, often spread over twenty files, and sometimes over a dozen packages. "But I just used my favorite IDE and it updated everything automatically!". "Oh fine whatever". Then production breaks.

Next time, "No it's impossible to change this incrementally, here's 2000 lines of consumer changes". :eng99:

I knew a dev who would manually run the resharper code formatter on each file he changed, even if he changed one line to fix a bug.

He didn't last very long on the team.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

beuges posted:

I think that’s me. Some orgs like dumping copies of third party stuff and if that’s a git checkout well that comes along for the ride too.

SVN server died and lost a lot, so just pushed a copy of the working directory back.

Paranda
Jun 9, 2003

I know this ticket said to fix this one corner case but I happened to notice that it was written inefficiently so I helpfully refactored 20 files of core logic with no unit tests. Pls review, PM wants this merged in today thanks.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Paranda posted:

I know this ticket said to fix a few typos in comments but I happened to notice that it was written inefficiently so I helpfully refactored 20 files of core logic with no unit tests. Pls review, PM wants this merged in today thanks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Point taken. I just wanna get poo poo done :(

Speaking of, I’ve now been asked to do some work in a different codebase and they do everything via stored procedures in MySQL. Ew.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Pollyanna posted:

Point taken. I just wanna get poo poo done :(

Speaking of, I’ve now been asked to do some work in a different codebase and they do everything via stored procedures in MySQL. Ew.

What's wrong with sprocs? After dealing with endless ORM bullshit in my short lifetime as a developer I love how easy it is to debug a sproc (so long as it isn't SQL spaghetti code bullshit).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s the thing, the source of truth for them is in the database itself - not something that is explicitly recorded somewhere and has to be reviewed and approved before going in. The procedures and tables and stuff are just edited/altered in the database first, then we copy-paste what we ran into a different repository somewhere as a record of whatever happened.

Or are there other ways of recording/versioning stored procedures?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

Or are there other ways of recording/versioning stored procedures?

Uh

Every change performed to the DB should be a script that can be directly run, so that you can create an exact copy of the DB layout by running the scripts in order. This also lets you blow away your dev DB and revert to the current schema whenever you need to. You can make changes to the local Dev DB to gently caress around and see what works but the final change should be in the form of a script that can be validated.

Just changing things in the server and trying to remember what you changed is...

:psyboom:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

Uh

Every change performed to the DB should be a script that can be directly run, so that you can create an exact copy of the DB layout by running the scripts in order. This also lets you blow away the dev DB and revert to the current schema

Just changing things in the server and trying to remember what you changed is...

:psyboom:

Yeah, this. At my old job the scripts all lived in source control and were simply concatenated into a single script based on which DB the script was targeted at.

It was still subject to any other PR/code review mechanism and I would yell at developers who didn't run the full script, because it was immediately obvious if they forgot to make the script rerunnable.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 1, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As far as I can tell, we are...not doing that? :shobon:

I guess what I meant to say is that I don’t like our approach to stored procedures and special tables. Cause yeah we’re also got entire product-critical tables that weren’t captured anywhere except a list of scripts listed by date and whoever ran it, detailing what the table looked like. I think.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

As far as I can tell, we are...not doing that? :shobon:

I guess what I meant to say is that I don’t like our approach to stored procedures and special tables. Cause yeah we’re also got entire product-critical tables that weren’t captured anywhere except a list of scripts listed by date and whoever ran it, detailing what the table looked like. I think.

God I hope you have actual backups.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Probably.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
This is also where database migration tools come in. Part of my job is building multi-tier DWHs, and everything there goes into migrations, including views etc. That way, you build a graph of changes which also means you precisely don't have to simply run all or nothing, but you can do migrations in steps, etc. The migrations themselves then live in the respective repositories together with ETL/ELT scripts etc.

Depending on what you use, you get much more than simply a set of sequentially numbered SQL files or one big file, e.g. alembic has a notion of branches and multiple heads, which means individual DWH layers have individual branches which can still have dependencies between them to ensure proper ordering. Another advantage is that this lets me choose between using something a bit more ORM-like (I hate ORMs) or raw SQL.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
You're basically screwed anyway because MySQL cannot rollback changes that you make. It's therefore impossible to release a tested change onto the production database (and also ignoring replication issues). You can try to fake it against staging systems, but given the potential for data drift you can't be certain of the outcome.

Your workflow should be: Durr idea, prototyping, develop, code review. Release is: Begin, savepoint, apply inserts/updates/deletes, loop of savepoint+integration test+rollback, then either a (full) abort or commit of just the savepoint, followed by the next change in the release.

Lots of ORM was built because people needed a software workaround for a lack of database functionality. But it's 2019, you have better choices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

But it's 2019, you have better choices!

Based on what we've heard so far, no they don't.