Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shaddak posted:

Sure, that's true. I get the impression, though, that the BG can turn on the sexy just with body language (regardless of how old they look).

Yeah, I absolutely have that impression too, but character design has to be believable and I don't find Reverend Mother Gollum at all believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I absolutely have that impression too, but character design has to be believable and I don't find Reverend Mother Gollum at all believable.

Fair enough. I was thinking more along the lines of some9ne consciously exaggerating their oldness.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tee hee

https://twitter.com/Askforken/status/1145792661699403777?s=20

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

whydirt posted:

Shadout to all my Mapes!

I was gonna do a "ah shaddapaya Mapes" parody here but in trying to type it I realised it was shameful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see the board game actually get Shaddam right instead of making him look old.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exmachina posted:

Bewt is the one who got bitchslapped during the dinner scene right?
No, that was the Guild Bank representative but Bewt got caught up in it. IIRC the rep is never named.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't think of a decent Newt Gingrich pun.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Why you wanna make me the bad guy? Hah? Why you want to make me hate you so?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't think of a decent Newt Gingrich pun.

Nute Lasgun? :effort:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol he's deleting all of the comments telling him to stop writing. I just saw one disappear in real time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

lol he's deleting all of the comments telling him to stop writing. I just saw one disappear in real time.
Is that possible to do on Twitter? I only use it a little, so I'm not sure how it works - but my general impression is that it doesn't most of the time, and when tweets disappear its either the author removing them or Twitter simply loving up threads/replies?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is that possible to do on Twitter? I only use it a little, so I'm not sure how it works - but my general impression is that it doesn't most of the time, and when tweets disappear its either the author removing them or Twitter simply loving up threads/replies?

well that's no fun :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"the first movie"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Well the original post says it has 40+ replies yet there are only about 20 visible...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

"the first movie"

It's going to be two films.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why have we not heard any casting announcements in a while? I'm surprised that we don't yet have a Feyd.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I hope they don't combine rabban and feyd. I can see them doing it because it reduces the number of characters easily and brushes some more problematic aspects of the Baron under the carpet.

Also the fact that they have a big-time name for Rabban, who is not actually in many scenes...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

exmachina posted:

I hope they don't combine rabban and feyd. I can see them doing it because it reduces the number of characters easily and brushes some more problematic aspects of the Baron under the carpet.

Also the fact that they have a big-time name for Rabban, who is not actually in many scenes...

look on the bright side, if they combine the characters maybe we will see Dave Bautista in the Feyd underpants.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm thinking maybe Feyd doesn't show up until the second movie, to keep the movie from being too crowded with villains.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
But he really does need to be in that first scene. He is the dark reflection to Paul.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I've said before ITT, the best way to end the first movie is to intersperse or at least juxtapose Paul killing Jamis and Feyd killing the Atreides gladiator-prisoner. It's a huge deal that it's Paul's first time killing someone, as opposed to Feyd's 100th arena murder. Couldn't make the difference between the characters more obvious and sets up their rivalry for the second movie. IMVHO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vlex posted:

I've said before ITT, the best way to end the first movie is to intersperse or at least juxtapose Paul killing Jamis and Feyd killing the Atreides gladiator-prisoner. It's a huge deal that it's Paul's first time killing someone, as opposed to Feyd's 100th arena murder. Couldn't make the difference between the characters more obvious and sets up their rivalry for the second movie. IMVHO.

I like this idea a lot, even tho I want it to end with Paul and Chani's first night in the desert because I'm just like that :biglips:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm gonna be real pissed if they cut Feyd. He should be a more central character than he was in Lynch. He's dark side Luke.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In extremely James Earl Jones voice: “Lovely Luke”

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Well the original post says it has 40+ replies yet there are only about 20 visible...
Again, Twitter historically haven't seemed able to handle threads properly, and it's only gotten worse in the last few years - especially after they quite recently introduced the non-sequential timeline that they default to in iOS and don't let the user turn off.
Thank gently caress there's tweetdeck and they seem to have forgotten all about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno if it's stated but seems like a rather obvious reason the Fremen are such good warriors is that they're all at least low-level precogs because they casually eat and drink Spice with probably everything. (I bet it got its name because their ancestors used it like spices to make existence on Arrakis more bearable)

I wonder if/how that might be portrayed in film. Spider-sense?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno if it's stated but seems like a rather obvious reason the Fremen are such good warriors is that they're all at least low-level precogs because they casually eat and drink Spice with probably everything. (I bet it got its name because their ancestors used it like spices to make existence on Arrakis more bearable)

In the books, the only overt effect of the spice that affect the Fremen as far as I remember, is that they become subconsciously semi-telepathic to others' unstated needs in the group as a result of them closing themselves off from the precognitive abilities of the spice as only the Kwizats Hadarach bloodline can use that; or at least that's something Jessica speculates about just after she's brought coffee one time.

Aside from the Paul v. Jamis fight we see, the only mention of the way that Fremen fight that we get a description of, is once Paul wows to take back the planet from the Harkonnen, where it's described that they have a fighting style that's involves jumping and fluid movement, which is probably the Weirding Way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

like just being hard blue eyed bedouin mystic motherfuckers might be enough, you know, because they can predict the shifting sandtide and poo poo. the audience will probably get the implication, alongside the spice being the most well integrated and interesting macguffin in all of science-fantasy

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 3, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Probably too big for it now but has Tom Holland as Feyd been mentioned?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tom Holland is a drippy weirdo; not a lovely lovely Adonis at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just dual-cast Chalamet imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tom Holland is a drippy weirdo; not a lovely lovely Adonis at all.

He’s pretty buff in spidey-man tho!!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

D. Ebdrup posted:

In the books, the only overt effect of the spice that affect the Fremen as far as I remember, is that they become subconsciously semi-telepathic to others' unstated needs in the group as a result of them closing themselves off from the precognitive abilities of the spice as only the Kwizats Hadarach bloodline can use that; or at least that's something Jessica speculates about just after she's brought coffee one time.

Aside from the Paul v. Jamis fight we see, the only mention of the way that Fremen fight that we get a description of, is once Paul wows to take back the planet from the Harkonnen, where it's described that they have a fighting style that's involves jumping and fluid movement, which is probably the Weirding Way.
They also fight at full speed, because nobody uses shields on Arrakis, and everyone else practices the slow blade against shields (for their entire lives), which is a hard habit to unlearn in the span of a single fight to the death with a guy who is really good at killing you.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

skasion posted:

Just dual-cast Chalamet imo

give him a fake goatee when playing feyd

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

They also fight at full speed, because nobody uses shields on Arrakis, and everyone else practices the slow blade against shields (for their entire lives), which is a hard habit to unlearn in the span of a single fight to the death with a guy who is really good at killing you.
True. Although not yet "at his full power", whatever that means, Paul has more difficulty adjusting than he seems to think he needs initially (as he thinks about it, but clearly doesn't adjust his style for a little while.

And now for something completely different: One thing I just recalled about the first book is how the Guildsman, who has his arm jostled just before the Emperor goes to meet with Paul and his entourage, is described as having eyes so blue they're almost black - but is the "level" of blue/black described anywhere else in the books?
All of the visual representations I've seen so far seem to have them a very royal shade of blue, and that doesn't seem to fit that description.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Spice eyes are “deep blue” according to the Dune appendix. There’s a constant barrage of (easily ignored if you already assumed from Lynch/Sci-Fi Dune that the eyes are supposed to be bright luminous blue) context clues apart from the spacing guild guy that deep means deep, and that they are so blue as to be almost black. Piter’s spice eyes are “like holes”, Mapes’ are “the deepest, darkest blue”, Kynes’ are “fathomless” and “a darkness under heavy brows”, Chani’s are “black pits”, Jamis’ are “ink-dark”, “blue-black holes”, “like beads of dark glass”, Stilgar’s are “dark-dark”, there’s one reference to Paul’s increasingly spicy eyes making the desert sky seem dark to him (!). Basically they’re very dark blue and the visual adaptations have generally chosen a different tack to make them more photogenic.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 3, 2019

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah that very dark eye is pretty much code for "possessed by evil" now. I personally am fine with lighter colours

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

All the more reason to keep it imo, the Fremen and the Atreides druglords are evil as gently caress

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lol Ghanima totally MacGyver'd herself a blowgun out of a sandsnorkel in Children of Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exmachina posted:

Yeah that very dark eye is pretty much code for "possessed by evil" now. I personally am fine with lighter colours

or pupils so big they eat the entire lens, like when tripping balls on psychotropic spice blunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

skasion posted:

Spice eyes are “deep blue” according to the Dune appendix. There’s a constant barrage of (easily ignored if you already assumed from Lynch/Sci-Fi Dune that the eyes are supposed to be bright luminous blue) context clues apart from the spacing guild guy that deep means deep, and that they are so blue as to be almost black. Piter’s spice eyes are “like holes”, Mapes’ are “the deepest, darkest blue”, Kynes’ are “fathomless” and “a darkness under heavy brows”, Chani’s are “black pits”, Jamis’ are “ink-dark”, “blue-black holes”, “like beads of dark glass”, Stilgar’s are “dark-dark”, there’s one reference to Paul’s increasingly spicy eyes making the desert sky seem dark to him (!). Basically they’re very dark blue and the visual adaptations have generally chosen a different tack to make them more photogenic.

this probably started with jodorowsky, his storyboards showed (and his story hinged on) a luminous blue glow coming from a luminous soul