Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

no no no no no no no no no more kanto, no more

I should point out I mean this as opposed to LG as described above, which is buckled down into a grid because that's how it's always been. Why doesn't Saffron City look on the scale of Castelia, which ought to be dwarfed by it as the classic center of the Pokemon world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i want saffron city where you can score weed in a seedy alley behind a quiet subway station

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

The White Dragon posted:

i want saffron city where you can score weed in a seedy alley behind a quiet subway station

same but you smoke refined gloom spit

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

And then go to jail for a million years because weed is even more criminalized in Japan than it is in America.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Farecoal posted:

same but you smoke refined gloom spit

That sounds like more of a Celadon City thing.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I would disagree he resets in characterization or skill. Especially in XY or Sun Moon he's very mature, and shown to be skilled and experienced trainer with very strong empathy. All the other characters are constantly in awe of him, and in Sun Moon he's largely taking it easy and treating it as like a gap year.

He's never been an idiot in any of these two series.

I think the complaint about Ash resetting mostly comes from BW. Which fits with the Dialga hypothesis.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I stopped watching due to age during Johto and started again during XY due to Netflix having it and me having a kid.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In Black and White they got the mistaken notion that they'd taken him too far off from a kid so they decided to make him a bit dumber.

Even then, his knowledge hasn't been "reset" so much as he just forgets things in that series. When confronted with knowledge he should know in Best Wishes, his reaction is more "Huh, I forgot that", not as if he's learning it for the first time.

Either way, they reversed course completely in XY because it wasn't working for anyone. People say he got reset again in Sun and Moon, but he doesn't make any of the Best Wishes style mistakes and generally behaves as if his experiences are always in mind. All that's different is that they write him as an actual kid that gets excited and likes to goof around, and his awkward, boorishness, and thickheadedness comes from social interactions - which works, because he's a ten year old who's spent most of his life wandering around the countryside chasing animals that could kill him. It's honestly the best possible medium between the "Ash is a skilled trainer who can't do much wrong" of Hoenn, DP, and XY and the goofy shounen lead-type.

That being said, a lot of what people say about his problems in Best Wishes are exaggerated. His worst issues come from plot armor being put on other characters (like loving Cameron). To this day, people go on about how they "made Pikachu weaker than a Snivy a new trainer had just received", when the first couple of episodes clearly show him unable to battle due to a very painful case of Electric-type flu. Trip and Iris are also given poo poo for not respecting him, when in the former's case, it's his own preconceived notions of people from Kanto and Ash being unlucky in their first encounter that causes him to condescend to him, and in Iris's case, she's very clearly projecting her own insecurity on to him with her "just a kid" remarks. She quickly sees what he's all about, too, and the "just a kid" remarks become more the kind of banter between friends, but to hear the way fandom tells it, she's a screeching harpy who never shows the main character the respect he deserves.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah! we're havin fun in the Sun (the Alolan Sun)

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Nodosaur posted:

That being said, a lot of what people say about his problems in Best Wishes are exaggerated. His worst issues come from plot armor being put on other characters (like loving Cameron). To this day, people go on about how they "made Pikachu weaker than a Snivy a new trainer had just received", when the first couple of episodes clearly show him unable to battle due to a very painful case of Electric-type flu. Trip and Iris are also given poo poo for not respecting him, when in the former's case, it's his own preconceived notions of people from Kanto and Ash being unlucky in their first encounter that causes him to condescend to him, and in Iris's case, she's very clearly projecting her own insecurity on to him with her "just a kid" remarks. She quickly sees what he's all about, too, and the "just a kid" remarks become more the kind of banter between friends, but to hear the way fandom tells it, she's a screeching harpy who never shows the main character the respect he deserves.

In Trip's case it's less his preconcieved notions of people from Kanto and more that Ash just can't stop bothering him. Trip never tries to do something antagonstic against Ash, he doesn't see him as a rival, he's just that one annoying dude that just won't leave him alone. "Trip walks past, Ash runs after him to challenge him for a battle" is one of the weirdly most recurring BW episode tropes.

Iris is a good character at her core, she just suffers very heavily from BWs "Everyone gets a catchphrase as dialouge and barely anything else" writing style and whenever she gets a break from that she can actually shine. Her backstory episode is among the best in BW.

Silver2195 posted:

I think the complaint about Ash resetting mostly comes from BW. Which fits with the Dialga hypothesis.
Ash resetting is more easily headcanoned by him also being struck by Zekrom's lightning that caused pikachu's electricity to cancel out, honestly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

she just suffers very heavily from BWs "Everyone gets a catchphrase as dialouge and barely anything else" writing style

Haven't seen BW yet, but Pokemon has always been fairly catchphrase-heavy.

• Ash, Max, other twerps: “Awesome!”
• Dawn: “No need to worry!”
• Team Rocket’s motto
• Team Rocket: “Twerps”
• Team Rocket: “Pokemonic”
• Team Rocket: “We’re blasting off again!”
• Sukizo: “Remarkable!”
• Wobuffet: “[Affirmative]” (seriously, that’s how the closed captioning transcribes it)
• Meowth: “Dig it!”
• Meowth: “You lugs”
• Meowth: “Picture the boss…”
• May, Dawn, other twerps: “You’re the best!”
• Ash: “I choose you!”
• Ash: “I got me the…Badge!”
• Misty: “Misty calls…” (originally “Go, my steady!”)
• May: “Take the stage!”
• Dawn: “Spotlight!”
• Zoey: “Curtain!”
• Byron: “I love…!”
• Brandon: “NOOO!”
• Brandon: “I need your assistance.”
• Narrator: “Our heroes”
• Narrator: “As their journey continues"
• Jigglypuff’s song

A few of those are dub-only, to be fair.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 2, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Catchphrases have gotten more and more common in Japanese kids’ media in the last decade and a half. It’s an easy way to make a character more memorable.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

In Trip's case it's less his preconcieved notions of people from Kanto and more that Ash just can't stop bothering him. Trip never tries to do something antagonstic against Ash, he doesn't see him as a rival, he's just that one annoying dude that just won't leave him alone. "Trip walks past, Ash runs after him to challenge him for a battle" is one of the weirdly most recurring BW episode tropes.

Iris is a good character at her core, she just suffers very heavily from BWs "Everyone gets a catchphrase as dialouge and barely anything else" writing style and whenever she gets a break from that she can actually shine. Her backstory episode is among the best in BW.

Ash resetting is more easily headcanoned by him also being struck by Zekrom's lightning that caused pikachu's electricity to cancel out, honestly.

I’m referring more to how Trip basically called Ash and everyone else in Kanto a bunch of hicks during their first meeting.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Silver2195 posted:

Haven't seen BW yet, but Pokemon has always been fairly catchphrase-heavy.

Oh absolutely and that's fine, however BW really ramps up the frequency - especially Cilan who just really really wants you to know he's a connoisseur. This is especially apparent during BWs many many tournament arcs, where the recurring cast has absolutely no time than to just stack these catchphrases successively. I wouldn't mind if there was something there beyond that but far more so than in any other seasons you could replace the human cast with wobbuffets and nothing would change. BW anime is just so... Empty, even compared to anything else in the anime

Nodosaur posted:

I’m referring more to how Trip basically called Ash and everyone else in Kanto a bunch of hicks during their first meeting.
While true, that was also the first instance of Ash bothering Trip for a battle just as he was about to leave

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 2, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I loved all the tournament arcs and recurring characters in BW.

Except Cameron.

loving Cameron...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Stufful!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/JynxClub/status/1145655075236270081?s=20

Gamers are the worst

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Just completed the Ghost trial with my whole party dead except for Toucannon, who had 13 HP and kept falling asleep. You can bet I gave that bird a rainbow bean!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What is this trash?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ometeotl posted:

What is this trash?

Hoothoot has always had two feet they just hide the other one when standing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ometeotl posted:

What is this trash?
i believe that is what's known as hoothoot, a pokemon native to the johto region

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ometeotl posted:

What is this trash?

Fresnel or Rim Lighting, a technique to emulate lighting by making the outer edges of a model bright and darken in the center.

Anyway, GameFreak, if you added Ash Greninja then there's no excuse not to bring in Pikarla's new Pikachu into the games

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Silver2195 posted:

• Narrator: “As their journey continues"

Huh, I always thought it was just "as the journey continues", which never made much sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Huh, I always thought it was just "as the journey continues", which never made much sense.

I'm pretty sure the narrator uses both versions, as well as other variants like "as their Sinnoh region journey continues."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Takoluka posted:

Detective Conan is a weird case, because despite people not aging, the world around them still clearly does. Conan and crew have smartphones and access to modern laptops now, despite having old flip phones and CRT PCs when the story began. Recently, the anime featured an arc where they go to Kyoto for a school trip, and when it ended, there were a couple episodes of filler with the Detective Boys and whatever else. Then, after like a month of those episodes, the next one had them just getting back from the school trip. There's obviously no actual lore attached to it, but it felt a lot like the endless arcs of Ash and co stumbling upon weeks worth of adventures in the same nameless forest, only to come out one day after leaving the last area. One nice thing is that Pokémon does seem to keep its tech the same, so you don't have that awkward transition when going through the "important plot episodes."

Wait, what? Detective Conan is STILL ongoing!?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The anime is up to episode 947

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

No more pokemon games ever. Gamers don't deserve anything

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Video games were a mistake

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Can we just be mature about our love for a children’s videogame series?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

good, bring back the national pokedex

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kawabata posted:

good, bring back the national pokedex

never include a national dex again and from hereon out slowly delete more and more pokemon until the series is just ash, crying alone in a desolate patch of grass, screaming that he's sorry and he just wants his poke-friends back, but it's too late, they're gone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pokemon Bank + Transporter experiment report: this poo poo is arcane.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh and you can't look at/organise your Bank unless you put a 3DS Poke game back in the slot? What drunk monster designed this?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 2, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not only is it still going, they're still making Conan movies every single year. What's even better is when Avengers Endgame dropped, it was #1 in theaters for that weekend globally, except in Japan, where the #1 slot went to the newest Detective Conan film. It's like the Dragon Quest of legacy anime.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MikeJF posted:

Oh and you can't look at/organise your Bank unless you put a 3DS Poke game back in the slot? What drunk monster designed this?
to be fair, there's notsomuch reason to do so unless you're playing pokemon, but yeah

also I didn't realize that because I am never not playing pokemon on my 3DS, wow I'm a fuckin nerd

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If you've got pokemon digitally you can access bank, but yeah, if you can't play a pokemon game when you hit the button you can't get in.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Blaziken386 posted:

also I didn't realize that because I am never not playing pokemon on my 3DS, wow I'm a fuckin nerd

no you're not, after all the pokemon slogan is gotta ca- :(

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Catchphrases have gotten more and more common in Japanese kids’ media in the last decade and a half. It’s an easy way to make a character more memorable.

Sounds loving insufferable.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Flopsy posted:

Sounds loving insufferable.

Haw haw!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's why I hate Dub!Team Rocket, since most of their dialogue is alliteration and slang rather than actual coherent speech

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and none of the Wobbuffet jokes make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

less laughter posted:

and none of the Wobbuffet jokes make sense

That's the way it is!