Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Has the url changed? I'm a supporter and put the url into iTunes but lately haven't been able to download or listen to episodes.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

nonathlon posted:

Has the url changed? I'm a supporter and put the url into iTunes but lately haven't been able to download or listen to episodes.

patreon changed the way their streaming audio works, might have sth to do with that?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
good episode. Gwynne Dyer, a journalist who covers international affairs, also wrote a book, Climate Wars and did a 4 part podcast series on CBC's IDEAS about the same subject as the interview. I got a friend a while back to bug Dolan on Patreon about getting Dyer on since they basically cover similar topics and are both interested in war. Dolan said he'd look into it but wasn't a huge fan of Dyer, either because the latter is too liberal or stans a little too hard for the British Empire for John's taste.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

gh0stpinballa posted:

increasing numbers of climate wars and our lovely governments devising ever more horrible deaths for climate refugees are the things about the future i am most afraid of

I mean, I'll be positively surprised if Europe doesn't build a wall and mine the Mediterranean beaches.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

btw i got james scott's weapons of the weak for last christmas about low level class struggle in the malaysian countryside during the green revolution and a lot of the stuff they were saying about the naxalites and india's climate reminded me of it

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

good episode. Gwynne Dyer, a journalist who covers international affairs, also wrote a book, Climate Wars and did a 4 part podcast series on CBC's IDEAS about the same subject as the interview. I got a friend a while back to bug Dolan on Patreon about getting Dyer on since they basically cover similar topics and are both interested in war. Dolan said he'd look into it but wasn't a huge fan of Dyer, either because the latter is too liberal or stans a little too hard for the British Empire for John's taste.

John's unrelenting disgust with the british empire should be so much more common than it is. It's such an endless procession of atrocities neatly side stepped by being on the right side of every global realignment.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

not for long

THS
Sep 15, 2017

britain hitching itself to the failing united states is funny as hell

animist
Aug 28, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

btw i got james scott's weapons of the weak for last christmas about low level class struggle in the malaysian countryside during the green revolution and a lot of the stuff they were saying about the naxalites and india's climate reminded me of it

james scott is so good

THS posted:

britain hitching itself to the failing united states is funny as hell

:hmmyes:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

suck my woke dick posted:

I mean, I'll be positively surprised if Europe doesn't build a wall and mine the Mediterranean beaches.

you know that's coming.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

Europe's current strategy is to outsource border control to their neighboring states. They basically pay for the Libyan Navy to control migrants. It really seems like the EU is weaponizing the Med in the same way the US does desert regions along the border, using the natural feature as a deadly deterrent.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

getting three episodes in one week is a pretty blistering pace.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It’s the end of the month and they’ve got to do em to get payed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

We got the anecdote about the proposed Stalin sperm bank so I'm glad of it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Holy poo poo that Christian Parenti interview is loving dark.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a good longer article/discussion of the naxalites anywhere?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'm a little behind, but the Marcie Smith interview about Gene Sharp was amazing. I knew so little about the history of color revolutions and that interview really clarified everything.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nikosoft posted:

I'm a little behind, but the Marcie Smith interview about Gene Sharp was amazing. I knew so little about the history of color revolutions and that interview really clarified everything.
listened it during a distance trip across some country roads at night. way better than coast to coast and whatever. a bad thing happened with the right monopolizing conspiracy theory and turning it into a vehicle for advancing right-wing nationalist politics. the conspiracies are real though and the idea that they're too difficult to pull off is something the CIA wants you to believe, but like in sharp's case it's not like it's some secret meeting (although there were many meetings) where they give him his CIA badge -- he was just their colleague and felt good about working within the system to eliminate violence and make the world a better place, from his perspective.

smith coming out of the climate movement is also interesting to me since sharp was influential there with the "it only takes 3% to change the system" as is practiced in color revolutions where teenagers are handed a month's salary ($20 or so in georgia when the U.S. applied it there) to show up and wave signs around. i was cornered at a thing by this half-cracked activist who needed someone to talk to and who had gazed into the future climate abyss and was obsessed with this 3% number and i told him the right thinks that too hence the "three percenters" and he was taken aback by that

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
are there any hot recs for specific eps accepted as the best / most interesting??

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Sci Fi and Fascism is an all time favorite

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The two William Hogeland ones (Whiskey Rebellion, Autumn of the Black Snake).

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
If you can handle the accent, the Italian Resistance / Years of Lead-series with recurring guest Annibale are some of the best ones made to date.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Nagorno-Karabakh episode was reslly interesting if you can get over the poor recording quality.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really liked the Sikh Empire episode.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sci Fi and Fascism is probably the best episode to listen to as an intro, because it's relatively lighter material than the usual war stuff and is still really insightful about reactionary elements in sci fi.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

swimsuit posted:

are there any hot recs for specific eps accepted as the best / most interesting??

Some suggestions, though ymmv depending on what specifically you find interesting.

Episode 29 - Nagorno-Karabakh war

Episode 40 - Ethiopia-Eritrea War

Episode 51 - the Red Scare and in particular an overview of the 1980s paranoid right-wing novel "The Spike" which both Dolan and Ames were once unironic fans of

Episode 63 - Interview with William Hogeland discussing the Whiskey Rebellion

Episode 64 - Sci fi and fascism, a popular episode with listeners

Episode 76 - Interview with the late Robert Parry, one of the last great American journalists, broke very important stories on Iran Contra

Episode 91 - Recovered History with William Hogeland, focuses on his book "Autumn of the Black Snake" which describes the incidents leading to the creation of the US army, including arguably the worst defeat ever suffered by American military forces

Episode 117 - history of the MEK in Iran

Episode 118 - Really good interview with Joshua Landis about Afrin

Episode 142 - Iran War scenarios, topical given current events

Episode 147 - Really good interview with Isa Blumi about Yemen and great power / local rivalries in the middle east

Episode 148 - Spanish-American War, Neocons & Anti-Interventionists, with Stephen Kinzer

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The episode where they interviewed Yasha Levine about Surveillance Valley is pretty good, if you want some recovered history about why the internet was developed.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I really liked the Sikh Empire episode.

Seconding this. I don't know if it was the first War Nerd article I read as a teenager or not, but it was definitely the most memorable one for me. I can't say I'm knowledgeable about the subject, but he seems to do a great job at explaining the origins. And of course, it wouldn't be Dolan without a healthy dose of hatred towards the British Empire.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All the Aditya, Annibale and Carl Zha episodes are really good imo. I don't remember off the top of my head which episodes had them but i'll try to compile a list if I have some time.

I also liked EP109 - Kashmir Separatism with Ahsan Butt

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Seconding Ep 147 with Isa Blumi, that guy is just non stop capital I Insight.

I also enjoyed Ep 106 with Robin Pierson who runs History of Byzantium. They tease a history of the formation of Islam ep at the end which I wish they’d do.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The episodes about Korea were really good. I’m a big fan of the Imjin war

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The Robert Perry interview was pretty incredible. Especially since he passed away not long afterwards.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nothus posted:

The Robert Perry interview was pretty incredible. Especially since he passed away not long afterwards.

Agreed. It's been my favorite so far.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ames paranoia about ticks really cracks me up for some reason. 2 monologues about it now lol i can relate to intense fear of bugs and disease tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

ames paranoia about ticks really cracks me up for some reason. 2 monologues about it now lol i can relate to intense fear of bugs and disease tho

if you could get Lyme disease from something as big as a poppy seed you’d be freaking out too.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i choose to believe that lyme disease isnt real because the alternative is not going outside

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

John just sent out the Cannon Dan video in Patreon PMs.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...602&oe=5D83E606

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if you could get Lyme disease from something as big as a poppy seed you’d be freaking out too.

believe me that ship has sailed, i am terrified of lyme disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm listening to the sci-fi and fascism one