Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's absolutely going to be shield hero and the slime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how anyone can derive humor from Shield Hero though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they could simply have someone beat the poo poo out of shield hero in the background of every scene, completely unmentioned. that'd be pretty hilarious.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

finally, someone even kazuma can look down on

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

still waiting on spider anime

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, but if they have spider anime, that's going to include the lame B-plot side-characters too, who will probably receive way too much focus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, I decided to catch up and things moved on quite a bit from then anyways, it seems positively small potatoes to have a couple of serial killers off the hook with what just happened in the latest chapter (42). If anyone is reading the webnovel, can you link me to the chapter this manga chapter corresponds to? I tried skimming the comments of that manga chapter to see if someone mentioned that(there's often a nice person who does) but instead I got a couple of unmarked spoilers, very cool.
If others are curious without digging through potential spoilers, I skimmed the WN and found that the current manga chapter, 42, corresponds to chapter 60 of the WN, I'm a bit surprised at how close to the WN chapters the manga is in scale. Other series like the dragon egg isekai one translate 10~ish chapters of the webnovel per manga chapter, but this is only a hit more than 1:1 it seems. Surprising. But the translation on the WN seems to be pretty dodgy unfortunately. Still, it'll add to the pile of stuff to read at work, so I won't complain.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but if they have spider anime, that's going to include the lame B-plot side-characters too, who will probably receive way too much focus.

kind of depends if it's the idiot hero party or Wrath/Sophie/Ariel

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

New The Eminence in Shadow.

Even though it's only been 7 chapters, I'm honestly surprised the series' gimmick is holding up as well as it is. This stupid series is hilarious.

I tried giving this a go but couldn't even finish chapter 1. I can get that the MC's goal is to be like the mysterious character who saves the protagonist in the nick of time from the super strong enemy. But it's all just an obvious front for a "actually, I'm better than you at everything so I'm smugly looking down on you, peon" schtick and it's super loving obnoxious.

sunken fleet posted:

I've seen a few Chinese novels with a similar premise of some guy waking up in Alt-Earth where things are slightly different and they go on to become rich/famous on the back of plagiarized work. I'm always sort of skeptical though, would someone really be able to get rich and famous purely on knowing a bunch of "good" songs no one else knows in 2019? Would songs by The Beatles really even blow up in 2019? I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to making it big in the entertainment industry than just creating "good" art.

It also runs into the logical endpoint where they'll eventually release all the songs they know from that one famous band so they'll have nothing left to plagiarize. They probably don't even have the creative genius to make anything on the same level as the plagiarized work so any attempt to make an original thing will just be considered subpar. It's a system that's pretty much set to explode on your face.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Neither do I.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they could simply have someone beat the poo poo out of shield hero in the background of every scene, completely unmentioned. that'd be pretty hilarious.

ninjewtsu posted:

Agree on both counts. Funny thing is that I honestly can't see him getting along in reality with most of the other leads for one reason or another. He'd also be the strongest by a VERY comfortable margin

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

doomrider7 posted:

Neither do I.

Agree on both counts. Funny thing is that I honestly can't see him getting along in reality with most of the other leads for one reason or another. He'd also be the strongest by a VERY comfortable margin

Not when Ainz exists

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Poor Ainz has been heavily nerfed in the name of comedy.

D&D wizard liches are just that plain nuts though, you see it seep through.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Piell posted:

Not when Ainz exists

Not gonna post the spoilers, but that's debatable and something I'd love to see Death Battle do.

Edit: Being 37 years old though would definetly make him the proverbial adult in the room. He'd also be the Sensei since he's canonically HAD that role before.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bro Dad posted:

Its so unoriginal that this is literally the plot to Boku wa Beatles, which came out in 2011

drat, and nothing even mentions this in relation to the movie. Which is surprising because I saw stuff about this french graphic novel which ALSO had the same plot in 2011

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/beatles-graphic-novel-yesterday-free-online-danny-boyle-1203253302/

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

amigolupus posted:

I tried giving this a go but couldn't even finish chapter 1. I can get that the MC's goal is to be like the mysterious character who saves the protagonist in the nick of time from the super strong enemy. But it's all just an obvious front for a "actually, I'm better than you at everything so I'm smugly looking down on you, peon" schtick and it's super loving obnoxious.

Yeah, it's still an Isekai, though it has a bit of the one punch man thing going since the protagonist doesn't really seem to realize how broken he is. Most of the comedy is him playing chuunibyou while not realizing everyone else is taking it completely straight, and I agree that it doesn't seem like that joke can last forever.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear continues to run the isekai formula at the easiest difficulty level ever.

Mordaedil posted:

Y'all got no imagination. Imagine Ains and Tanya chewing him out for being so pathetic that he needs mind control to assert authority over his minions. Imagine Kazuma asking him how he can make some slaves that are actually totally okay with being slaves, followed by Aqua, asking where she can get some slaves, followed by Darkness, who wants to know how she can be a slave.

I really want it to be Spider and Slime, though, because those two would have a great dynamic with each other.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Spider seems tricky since a version from late in the series would be a huge spoiler from way beyond where the manga and anime will be by then and early in the series she can't talk and has no supporting characters.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Sindai posted:

Spider seems tricky since a version from late in the series would be a huge spoiler from way beyond where the manga and anime will be by then and early in the series she can't talk and has no supporting characters.

(LN Volume 3) In response to exigent circumstances, Earth Dragon Araba is forced to learn the skills "Deadpan Humor", "Straight Man" and "Bad Pun"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On second thought just having a giant spider build a nest in one corner of the classroom's ceiling and communicate through spider charades while talking to her extra personalities internally would be great.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sindai posted:

There's an easy way around that. Just have a smartphone sitting on a desk near Kumo, with a mysterious voice on the line telling people what the spider is thinking.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The next quartet should be Rimuru, slime farmer, witch who killed slimes for 300 years and Shield Hero, who is slimier than all the rest put together.

Alternatively, Rimuru, Kumo, Dragon Egg and Shield Hero. Four monsters arrive.

As for more side characters showing up, I'd like to see Ainz meet Wiz. Lich Party.

And Kumo could just write "Some Pig" in webs to get around communication. The reason it doesn't work for her right now is that none of the people she's met speak Japanese, not a problem here!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, looking at the JP Niconico stream the two series that seemed to be most in demand by the comments were Slime and No Game No Life. (As well as In Another World With a Smartphone, but that's mostly just because it's a meme over there)

Things could also change, since next season is Arifureta's anime, and it's a fairly big deal. Mushoku Tensei and Spider both have anime coming...someday. Maybe they'll be out before quartet season 2.

If they want to stretch their definition of Isekai I could see them putting in Sword Art Online since it's such a moneymaker for them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
arifureta could work, if only because it is so fixated on painful edgelord crap. it's the cliched chuuni fantasy top to finish, and there's no way other characters wouldn't make fun of that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bremen posted:

Yeah, it's still an Isekai, though it has a bit of the one punch man thing going since the protagonist doesn't really seem to realize how broken he is. Most of the comedy is him playing chuunibyou while not realizing everyone else is taking it completely straight, and I agree that it doesn't seem like that joke can last forever.
I like the time when he spouts some bullshit and tosses a knife at the map without looking and it turns out to be correct.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

I like the time when he spouts some bullshit and tosses a knife at the map without looking and it turns out to be correct.

I love the captions saying that it was an entirely random toss.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jackard posted:

Everything he says or does is amazing because every single bit of it is bullshit he is just thinking up because it would Be Cool, and then oops, it's actually true, and he doesn't understand that fact, and thinks everyone is just playing along with his fantasies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

Yeah, part of why I find it tolerable is that it's focusing more on comedy than the power fantasy so far. There's not really any detail about the protagonist's abilities other than "he's stronger than everyone," and the "protagonist doesn't realize the stuff he ad-libs is apparently real" joke still hasn't become old yet (for me, at least). His life pre-reincarnation is also not the typical "everyman" one, where he was instead some absolute lunatic who became swole (it was funny how it actually showed the result of all his training being him becoming huge) and trained in the mountains.

I think my favorite part is when he saves up a bunch of money specifically to set up a scene where he's sipping wine in a luxurious room and says something mysterious/profound.

sunken fleet posted:

I've seen a few Chinese novels with a similar premise of some guy waking up in Alt-Earth where things are slightly different and they go on to become rich/famous on the back of plagiarized work. I'm always sort of skeptical though, would someone really be able to get rich and famous purely on knowing a bunch of "good" songs no one else knows in 2019? Would songs by The Beatles really even blow up in 2019? I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to making it big in the entertainment industry than just creating "good" art.

Boku wa Beatles has the advantage of them traveling back in time, so it's at least during a time period where it makes sense for the music to take off.

Though it also introduces some interesting stuff like "the actual Beatles still existing" and "there being multiple band members who disagree about this idea."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KittyEmpress posted:

Everything he says or does is amazing because every single bit of it is bullshit he is just thinking up because it would Be Cool, and then oops, it's actually true, and he doesn't understand that fact, and thinks everyone is just playing along with his fantasies.
The entire gimmick of the series is he's the biggest chuuni in the universe and the world he isekais into conforms to whatever chuuni bullshit he whips up on the spot, and his inner monologue of normalcy is just constantly like "WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON", it's very good.

If you don't embrace the goofiness of it immediately, you're gonna have a bad time

Like the latest chapter with the BECOME THE NUKE bit is so joyously stupid, or the gorgeous businesslady flubbing her dramatic intro and faceplanting, totally unnecessary but good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I’m even enjoying the bits played entirely straight. It’s very Overlord, except if Ainz thought the guardians were just humouring him.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I totally hope kumoko is one of the transfer students.

I really hope the anime adaptation gives her a super peppy Japanese schoolgirl voice. I can't imagine anything else after seeing the mahou shoujo spider and other stuff in the manga adaptation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Put the spider in and the earth dragon as a chibi as the class pet

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did Kadokawa do any of those shorts for any shows outside of the quartet? It'd be a good indication on who it could be.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

The entire gimmick of the series is he's the biggest chuuni in the universe and the world he isekais into conforms to whatever chuuni bullshit he whips up on the spot, and his inner monologue of normalcy is just constantly like "WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON", it's very good.

If you don't embrace the goofiness of it immediately, you're gonna have a bad time

Like the latest chapter with the BECOME THE NUKE bit is so joyously stupid, or the gorgeous businesslady flubbing her dramatic intro and faceplanting, totally unnecessary but good

Yeah, it generally doesn't give me nearly the same "power fantasy/wish fulfillment" vibe that most isekais do, even though the protagonist is technically really strong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be wish fulfillment if the mc wasn't so impossibly dumb. he's the strongest being who ever lived, has a constantly growing devoted harem, possesses great wealth and influence due to randomly mentioning various earth products, etc. except, he isn't really aware of any of that except for maybe his strength. he wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

it would be wish fulfillment if the mc wasn't so impossibly dumb. he's the strongest being who ever lived, has a constantly growing devoted harem, possesses great wealth and influence due to randomly mentioning various earth products, etc. except, he isn't really aware of any of that except for maybe his strength. he wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

Something that (IIRC) was in the novel that they cut from the last chapter:

When visiting the store that made a fortune off his stories of his first life, he asked if he could borrow a few gold (it's not totally clear in the chapter, but he thinks Gamma just took his ideas and made a fortune, and of course assumes she's just humoring him with the shadow garden stuff). They bring out a huge coffer full of gold and he distracts them while palming several coins while congratulating himself on getting one over on them, even while it's abundantly clear they'd give him all of it if he asked.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's deeply entertaining both how actually normal he is when he isn't pretending, and how incredibly greedy and kinda scummy he is deep down. It's nice having a protagonist who is meant to be not the greatest person?

He's very Kazuma, except powerful.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

What's up with so many isekais being "The villianess of X Otome game"?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Elfface posted:

The next quartet should be Rimuru, slime farmer, witch who killed slimes for 300 years and Shield Hero, who is slimier than all the rest put together.

Alternatively, Rimuru, Kumo, Dragon Egg and Shield Hero. Four monsters arrive.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Y'all got no imagination. Imagine Ains and Tanya chewing him out for being so pathetic that he needs mind control to assert authority over his minions. Imagine Kazuma asking him how he can make some slaves that are actually totally okay with being slaves, followed by Aqua, asking where she can get some slaves, followed by Darkness, who wants to know how she can be a slave.

doomrider7 posted:

s(they own Shield Hero so yeah that's a tragically open possibility, sigh)

RatHat posted:

Mordaedil posted:

ninjewtsu posted:

doomrider7 posted:

Neither do I.

y'all there were like three rules for this thread total

everythingWasBees posted:

don't talk about shield hero or goblin slayer here!!!!

It's even in bold in the OP!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anything vaguely popular instantly inspires a stampede of imitators. the only strange part is how many of those imitations are completely humorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TalonDemonKing posted:

What's up with so many isekais being "The villianess of X Otome game"?

super popular ln/manga, copycats, and it's a super easy isekai setting for shoujo isekai since the template used for the male power fantasies doesn't quite work 1:1