Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

Lando went back to Cloud City at some point post-RotJ and happened to find it. Next time he saw Han he gave it to him and asked him to pass it on to Luke. Han gave it to Maz to pay off his bar tab.

Maz: Don't try and pawn me some morbid dead Jedi trinket, I want money.

Han: Now wait a minute, Maz! This isn't just some "dead Jedi trinket," this is... this is a magic light saber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gonz posted:

Was it Weetabix?

Maybe...for all I know, it could have been blue milk and muesli.

General Dog posted:

Across the Stars in Ep. II owns though

Can't emphasize this enough, and how this theme segues into the Star Wars main theme at the end is just perfect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Across the Stars is REALLY good - shame the movie romance never lives up to the themes in the song.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s good but the melody is so similar to Williams’ score for Hook it kind of throws me off

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bring back the Yuuzhan Vong.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Williams' score to Tintin, specifically, The Adventure Continues, is one of the best Williams' themes, right up there with Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Jaws imho.

Also Poe's theme from the new movies is great and I don't know why it wasn't a more prominent theme, instead of something just for Poe. It's the most Star Warsy thing since the OT.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah Poe's theme is dope. I also love Reys. Din din din ---- dindindindundun.

I just saw The Dark Crystal (1982) for the first time and it is the most Star Wars movie ever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Rey has a weird character flip where in TFA she thinks her parents are nobodies but the audience knows that's not true because of narrative framing (This makes J.J's mystery box BS funny because it makes Rey's parents "somebody" without making them somebody). Then in TLJ all of a sudden Rey is now convinced her parents are special despite her closest thing to a character arc in TFA being her accepting her supposed deadbeat parents weren't coming back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

galagazombie posted:

Rey has a weird character flip where in TFA she thinks her parents are nobodies but the audience knows that's not true because of narrative framing (This makes J.J's mystery box BS funny because it makes Rey's parents "somebody" without making them somebody). Then in TLJ all of a sudden Rey is now convinced her parents are special despite her closest thing to a character arc in TFA being her accepting her supposed deadbeat parents weren't coming back.

TLJ makes sense if you assume Rey spent her trip to Ahch-To reading a bunch of fan theories about herself online. Probably a bunch of poo poo Maz posted on her Facebook wall.

Also Luke watched the prequels, and he found them pretty compelling.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 1, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

Across the Stars in Ep. II owns though

Yes. Battle of the Heroes is also good from ROTS. Rey's theme is the best one from the ST score.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zoran posted:

Luke's hand was agitating for better working conditions, so Maz killed it and took its weapon as a trophy and a warning to others.
And she gave it to someone who's thrilled that a small business owner is giving her an unpaid internship

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The amazing adventures of Anakin's lightsaber: was used extensively in a false war, murdered some children, sat in an old guy's box for 20 years, cut open a space yak, fell down a hole shortly after. Then it ended up sitting in another box for 30 years and became a holy object for some reason.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anakin himself didn't give a gently caress about it, except to the extent that he'd be reprimanded for losing or damaging it. The one Rey brought to Luke was Anakin's, like, second or third one.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

galagazombie posted:

Yeah, I think Rian or whoever maybe confused the questions Rey had (will my parents come back/where do I belong?) with the questions the audience had (who are rey's parents?). From TFA I never had the sense Rey didn't know who her parents were, just that she had deluded herself into thinking they were coming back.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

El Burbo posted:

The amazing adventures of Anakin's lightsaber: was used extensively in a false war, murdered some children, sat in an old guy's box for 20 years, cut open a space yak, fell down a hole shortly after. Then it ended up sitting in another box for 30 years and became a holy object for some reason.

This is one of the things that still bothers me about TFA and the STs. The lightsaber had a personal connection to Luke because it was his dad's. Frankly, anyone who wields it ends up having a bad time since it killed innocents and failed it's first two users. The inclusion in TFA is just some dumb fanservice, and pretty much telegraphed that fanservice is what the movie was going to be all about.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

a.lo posted:

Theory: Rey was conceived via the force just like Anakin. Thus is a special chosen one AND came from nothing.

Skywalker could become the title for such children or Skywalker cousins of Shmi could also be ancestors of Rey

Technically, everyone conceived by the force are at least half-siblings, so Rey is actually Luke's aunt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jewmanji posted:

It’s good but the melody is so similar to Williams’ score for Hook it kind of throws me off

Williams doesn't rip himself off as often as some other composers--Horner, I'm looking at you--but he's definitely done it on multiple occasions. The Nazi theme from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is used, almost verbatim, for the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Last Crusade might lowkey be Williams’ best score. That or ESB.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

Anakin himself didn't give a gently caress about it, except to the extent that he'd be reprimanded for losing or damaging it. The one Rey brought to Luke was Anakin's, like, second or third one.

Anakin had two, Obi-Wan had three. They're bad at hanging onto these weapons that are their lives.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

Last Crusade might lowkey be Williams’ best score. That or ESB.

Asteroid field theme owns

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Asteroid field theme owns

ESB gave us The Imperial March, The Asteroid Field, and Han Solo and the Princess

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack is the work of a master at the height of his powers.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack is the work of a master at the height of his powers.

*This* is a master at the height of his powers:

(stolen from the GBS van magazine thread)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

George Lucas is far more powerful than you give him credit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ingmar terdman posted:

All this time Sheev was the self-insert, not Luke

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1146146645463031808

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1146574538517278720?s=09

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

O, RLY?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Thank god, the tension of knowing but not knowing was nearly not bearable.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Apparently the movie will also almost feel like a different genre. She really knows how to sell the space opera to the nerds. :allears:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oooh, is it going to feel like a heist movie? I hope it's going to feel like a heist movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They gonna steal the Death Star.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
IG-88s? In my Death Star?!
:ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Oooh, is it going to feel like a heist movie? I hope it's going to feel like a heist movie.

Itll be like a classic Cold War Spy Thriller I bet

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The MSJ posted:

They gonna steal the Death Star.
I think I found the script to that movie.

Plot Rise of the Skywalkers posted:

A not Jedi named Rey has her pride injured when an unknown rival steals the Great Pyramid of Giza. With the assistance of his sidekick Dr. Kylo Ren and his Porgs, Rey resolves to one-up this mysterious rival by shrinking and stealing the Death Star. Knowing this is extremely costly, Rey seeks a loan from the Bank of Jedi. Mr. Luke Skywalker - the bank president - is impressed by the plan, but he will approve the loan only if Rey can obtain the necessary shrink ray first. Upon learning that an up-and-coming villain known as Sheev was responsible for the Pyramid theft, Rey openly displays a rivalry with him.

Rey and the Porgs steal the shrink ray from a secret testing base in East Asia, but Sheev intercepts them and steals it for herself. Rey attempts to break into Sheev's impregnable fortress to recover the shrink ray, only to be defeated by numerous kinds of traps. As nothing seems to work, she notices three orphan girls, Rose, Maz Kanata, and BB8, who are able to easily enter the base as they are selling cookies. Rey disguises herself and adopts the girls, planning to use them to infiltrate Sheev's base. However, Rey has trouble nurturing them properly due to their stubbornness, their ballet classes and her own ineptitude as a parent.

Eventually, Rey and the girls arrive at Sheev's base, and Rey successfully steals the shrink ray. The girls then suggest a day at a theme park. Rey agrees, believing she can abandon the girls there; but as she cannot, she begins to bond with them instead. Later, Rey contacts Luke Skywalker via video chat, stating that she finally has the shrink ray. Rose, Maz Kanata, and BB8 interrupt the meeting, and Luke Skywalker announces that he has lost confidence in Rey and will no longer fund her operations. As Rey tells the Porgs she can no longer pay them for their services, the girls offer the contents of their piggy bank. With her Porgs and herself inspired, Rey sells parts of the Millenium Falcon and the items she stole over the years to construct a spacecraft. Rey plans to steal the Death Star when it is nearest to Earth, but this is the same day as the girls' ballet recital. As Rey becomes conflicted, Dr. Kylo Ren arranges for the girls to be returned to the orphanage, thinking the recital may ruin the plan. At the same time, Luke Skywalker informs his son - Sheev - of Rey's possession of the shrink ray and the adoption of the three girls, encouraging Sheev to take action.

Rey successfully shrinks and steals the Death Star. He rushes back to Earth to attend the recital, only to find a ransom note from Sheev, who has kidnapped the girls. After arriving at Sheev's base, Rey surrenders the Death Star. However, Sheev reneges on the deal and, after failing to stop Rey's advance, flies off with the girls and the Death Star. Meanwhile, Dr. Kylo Ren has discovered that the effects of the shrink ray are temporary: the bigger the object is, the faster it recovers its original size. Rey, Dr. Kylo Ren, and the Porgs execute a daring mid-air rescue of the girls, just before the Death Star destroys Sheev's spaceship and launches itself back into orbit, along with Sheev on it.

Sometime later, Rey has returned the Great Pyramid and re-adopted the girls, writing them a bedtime storybook based on her own experience. The girls perform their ballet recital for Rey, his mother Marlena, Dr. Kylo Ren, and the Porgs, only for one of the Porgs to switch the music to something more modern, ending the film in a dance party.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Apparently the movie will also almost feel like a different genre. She really knows how to sell the space opera to the nerds. :allears:

Daisy Ridley interview posted:

Genre-wise, it’s different from the other two, which will become clear when the film comes out. It's quite emotional. There's a different drive than the previous two films, but there's a lot of fun. I really missed John (Boyega) during the last one, but we're back together and now Oscar (Isaac) is part of it. To me, it felt like kids going on an adventure.

space roadtrip? space roadtrip.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno the trailer looks like a western.

For a Few Credits More

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Musical, ala The Wiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PrequelMemesBot/status/1146957241968316416