Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nenonen posted:

Usually a smoke sauna doesn't have a water boiler directly in it, but who knows, there are many types of sauna stoves? Here's one type with and without a boiler:

I understand females really like this in a bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Coming from the hard rock side of things, the drillers will sometimes lose a drill bit down a hole, and go fishing for (x) amount of time, then call it and either go round, or through. I've had diamond drill core come in before where there's a solid piece of drill bit, sideways through the core. I'll see if I can get a photo for the thread next time I'm on site, pretty sure we stashed it in the "curiosities" section of the mineral library.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Powershift posted:

They dropped a tool into the slips, and didn't notice it. When they pulled the slips out it fell down the hole. all the way down the hole. You can see those stands are full of long dirty pipes. so it fell down a pretty deep hole.

Based on the size of the rig, probably a $100,000 mistake. Pennies to the company but they're still gonna kick his rear end for it.

Old Balls McGee posted:

That was the bit. It was left in the table after being broken off. The bit breaker latch wasn't pinned. As the hands pulled the bit out the latch opened and down it went. If it went down upside down, it's staying down there. It would be un-fishable.

It is considered bad practise to leave a bit in the table like that. Usually you would break the bit from the pipe it was attached to, leave it on quite a few threads, but able to be spun by hand. Hoist out of the table, put the hole cover on and spin the bit off on the floor.

My guess from the hands reactions is that the stack was left completely open. We close the uppermost set of rams to catch something like this.

Basically almost all the Drillers fault.

Thank both of you. One of those dudes clearly acted like not only was it a big gently caress up, but it was a big stupid dummy gently caress up, and I really wanted to know why.

edit-

quote:

A magnet strong enough to pull something big out is also strong enough to stick inside the last string of casing that was run.

In fact, drill collars can magnetize enough to stick to the inside of the casing and prevent you from drilling out.

We used to run junk baskets that were shaped to let metal junk to fall in, and they had magnets inside. No one runs them anymore unless they are milling a fish, and even then most people use ditch magnets in the shaker box.

Well, I've got no hope of understanding this, but I wouldn't want to go up against you at Jeopardy: Industrial Edition.

5er fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 2, 2019

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

patriot was a documentary

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

But what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on the treadle?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

patriot was a documentary

It's where i learned everything i know about the structural dynamics of flow.

It's what made me a McMillan man.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

5er posted:

Thank both of you. One of those dudes clearly acted like not only was it a big gently caress up, but it was a big stupid dummy gently caress up, and I really wanted to know why.

edit-

Well, I've got no hope of understanding this, but I wouldn't want to go up against you at Jeopardy: Industrial Edition.

Casing is tubing that is cemented in place to shore up the borehole and prevent fluid from entering or exiting. It’s steel and therefore magnetic.

An oil well will have different stages of casing each time decreasing diameters, because they have to use a smaller bit for the next stage each time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if you put a big blob of bluetac on the end of your hole-stick-thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just get the guy with the really long arm to fish around in there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fill the hole with mercury and the pipe will float back up to the top.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

fill the hole with mercury and the pipe will float back up to the top.

I like this new take on fracking!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mr Fantastic found a great second career option if the whole superhero thing doesn't work out

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
What's the roughneck equivalent of truck fuckling? Bore tickling? Drill dangling?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Antioch posted:

What's the roughneck equivalent of truck fuckling? Bore tickling? Drill dangling?

Dino mining

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Trunk fuckling

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bad Munki posted:

Trunk fuckling

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Trunk Funkling

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Trunk Frackling

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Patriot really prepared me for reading the last few pages of this thread.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/txx1hat.mp4

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:canada:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Reenacting the Syrian civil war is a serious business.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What if you put a big blob of bluetac on the end of your hole-stick-thing?

Makes taking a piss really weird.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw&t=111s

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The ram one doesn't see terrible but all those spinning wheels of death are scary.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That lovely photoshop :v

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get the being from Stephen King's short story The Moving Finger.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

cabbage crates? over the briney?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I feel like he's made the act of splitting wood much more difficult than it needs to be with that.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Sammus posted:

I feel like he's made the act of splitting wood much more difficult than it needs to be with that.

That was my thought. May have a bad back so its hard for him to lift those rounds on a splitter's deck, so this facilitates his needs.

That thing runs real quiet. Guessing he uses an electric motor to get it at speed and the weight of the thing keeps the wheel from slowing too much in the cut

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/h0MCTS8.mp4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ooff that's gotta hurt

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo is he dead?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao :rip:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sammus posted:

Yeah just get a slide axe (or whatever they're called in English) and you can do it all on the ground so you don't have all the ropey and hauley stuff going on. It won't even gently caress up your back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never forget that trees want to kill us all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

holy poo poo is he dead?

Shoes still on but I’m going with very possibly.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

holy poo poo is he dead?

According to the gif thread where that was posted, he lived but had to have massive reconstruction on his lower face.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

According to the gif thread where that was posted, he lived but had to have massive reconstruction on his lower face.

Supposedly it looked like this:
:unsmigghh:

-e-

Poldarn posted:

I showed this to a co-worker and he showed me the extended version the aftermath. The dude survived but everything below the nose is hanging open like a watermelon got blown open by a firework. I don't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's the most popular video on the Ent version of World Star Hip Hop.