Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

So I buy mine all from "wallpaper direct". Yes if you're keeping track I do prefer to buy from places that have direct in the name. You can find it yourself and see. There are thousands of choices. Some of them are $300 or more per roll, which are some beautiful designs but no way do I want to buy 10 rolls for a room.

I have floral with hummingbirds and pineapples. I took these just for you Chris.

I don't get all the wallpaper hate (I mean, I do when you're removing it). I really like the look especially like this, when you're doing it above a chair rail.

Medullah posted:

Any suggestions other than dehumidifier to make a basement smell less basementy? I've got a nice big one in the new house and am hoping to camp out in it on some hotter days, but it's definitely got a funk even with the dehumidifier running 24x7

You're going to need to be specifc about "funk", and things like how long you've been running this dehumidifier and what it brought the humidity down to.

Because most issues are just gonna be "dehumidify", and one that is running 24x7 sounds a lot like it's undersized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Fair enough, it's a fairly powerful one with a pump but the basement is 1800 square feet, so maybe I need 2. It's just the musty smell.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
We'll probably get a self adhesive vinyl decal for an accent wall at some point. Never used it but it seems better than actual wallpaper.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Medullah posted:

Fair enough, it's a fairly powerful one with a pump but the basement is 1800 square feet, so maybe I need 2. It's just the musty smell.

How about getting even a lovely thermometer/hygrometer so you have some relative (because they are not accurate) idea of what's going on? Put it upstairs of somewhere comfortable and see what is says.....put it in the basement and see what it says.

https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Hygrom...ps%2C154&sr=8-5

Also, airflow is a big deal. A simple box fan in the middle of a big open room along with your dehumidifier can make a huge difference while trying to dry it out during the wet season (assuming you are in the US).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Good ideas, thanks!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Keyser_Soze posted:

if you have a lot of dark wood, wainscoting and leather chairs, etc this kind of wallpaper would look good in an evil Victorian study or smoking/drinking room.

there are some very nice modern wallpapers out there but it has to be done in just smaller areas and in conjunction with woodwork.

I would 100% put that wallpaper in my house. Then again, my house is a Victorian so it would be right at home. We currently have a red bedroom that we have designated as the TV den, and even though the shade of red is kind of bad (too much magenta), it inspired us to do a creepy red room a la David Lynch. We already have the red leather couch for it.

Otherwise, I want to put wallpaper in at least a couple rooms because it seems like the Victorian thing to do and will look good with all the woodwork we are eventually going to strip. I think most of the rooms were wallpapered at one point, and some of them are still wallpapered, but disguised by layers of lumpy paint. Except I want patterns that are subtle and elegant, not granny-style bouquets of flowers and poo poo.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We out this on one wall in our daughters room at our previous house. I would do it again.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Medullah posted:

If you live in an area with a cold Winter, does it still smell then? That should let you know if it's humidity-based if the smell is reduced during the dry Winter.

Another thing to consider is to removing anything that can potentially trap moisture and mold. Cardboard boxes and paper products, especially. If you just have a bare concrete slab, you can seal or paint it to help with moisture coming up through the floor and also reduce some dust.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Our Victorian has a subtle wallpaper in the stairwell/hallway that is plain but textured. I really like the effect but it's also a huge headache because the raised pattern is particularly vulnerable to damage. And because it is who knows how old it's impossible to find any match to repair it.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Are the walls covered or are they raw concrete? If they are covered you might have some good old mold going on in there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My downspouts feed in to PVC pipes which disappear into the ground

Every 10 minutes my crawlspace sump turns on and forces water up and out of those PVC pipes like a geyser, so now I've got standing water up against my foundation.

The crawlspace guy basically hit me with a "not my problem, call roto rooter" and says my yard drainage lines are probably clogged or busted

Water.... Is bad

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pradmer posted:

I can't speak to their tables but I got 3 bookshelves from them for basically the same reason (nicest looking cheap hardwood). It's not artisan work by any means and the backs are pretty cheap pressed wood, but they look way better everything similarly priced.

Thanks! Can you link which ones you bought?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My downspouts feed in to PVC pipes which disappear into the ground

Every 10 minutes my crawlspace sump turns on and forces water up and out of those PVC pipes like a geyser, so now I've got standing water up against my foundation.

The crawlspace guy basically hit me with a "not my problem, call roto rooter" and says my yard drainage lines are probably clogged or busted

Water.... Is bad

Don't you do proper inspections before closure in the US? Here the sellers basically always pay for inspections and often the buyer does it as well before settling the final payment.

In other news, my electricity bills are $neg since May. Solar panels are magic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Potrzebie posted:

Don't you do proper inspections before closure in the US? Here the sellers basically always pay for inspections and often the buyer does it as well before settling the final payment.

In other news, my electricity bills are $neg since May. Solar panels are magic.

Yep, the inspection passed with flying colors other than a crawlspace water intrusion issue, which was fixed on the seller's dime.

It ended up being a simple fix. Roto-rooter snaked the yard irrigation system and blasted a TON of old plant matter out, and now my drainage works like a charm!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yep, the inspection passed with flying colors other than a crawlspace water intrusion issue, which was fixed on the seller's dime.

It ended up being a simple fix. Roto-rooter snaked the yard irrigation system and blasted a TON of old plant matter out, and now my drainage works like a charm!

Oh. Well. Good on you then!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I had a similar thing happen. I'm surprised you have roots getting into your pipes if they're PVC though, or does it switch to something else?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bird in a Blender posted:

I had a similar thing happen. I'm surprised you have roots getting into your pipes if they're PVC though, or does it switch to something else?

I believe it wasn't roots growing in to the pvc, but rather old decaying plant matter getting swept in and forming a big mucky mess

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

StormDrain posted:

So I buy mine all from "wallpaper direct". Yes if you're keeping track I do prefer to buy from places that have direct in the name. You can find it yourself and see. There are thousands of choices. Some of them are $300 or more per roll, which are some beautiful designs but no way do I want to buy 10 rolls for a room.

I have floral with hummingbirds and pineapples. I took these just for you Chris.

Holy poo poo you're that PO.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks! Can you link which ones you bought?

https://www.barnfurnituremart.com/office-bookcases/traditional-36-x-72-oak-bookcase.html?id=BCT367212L

I got 3 of these, but the price must have gone up a lot since then. They were like $300 each when I ordered 2 years ago. Sucks cause I actually need another one now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
18cu ft refrigerator that fits well or 22cu ft fridge that's just a hair too wide for optimal asthetics??

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How many people does the fridge need to support?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

18cu ft refrigerator that fits well or 22cu ft fridge that's just a hair too wide for optimal asthetics??

22cu ft all day long.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't suppose your underground pipe/irrigation stuff could be related to your "natural spring" at the edge of your well-watered lawn, do you? I'm thinking broken sprinkler line at that spot?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

22cu ft all day long.

No one has ever said they had too much fridge space. Or garage space. Or shop space.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

You don't suppose your underground pipe/irrigation stuff could be related to your "natural spring" at the edge of your well-watered lawn, do you? I'm thinking broken sprinkler line at that spot?

OH this was the best part! When the roto rooter guy cleaned out my drainage pipe (giggidy!) we literally watched the wet spot vanish into the earth. It's just mud now, instead of 6" of standing water. Woo!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How many people does the fridge need to support?

Just me currently but it'd ideally be serving 2 to 3 people within a couple years. Is there a good way to upload an image on Android to imgur and post on the forums? I've never quite figured that one out on mobile. I'll post a Pic of my fridge slot. It's annoying in that it's right next to the door to the kitchen so it makes it feel like a 3 foot tunnel rather than a doorway.

http://imgur.com/E5G7fXj.Jpg

How in the blazes do you bbcode an img on mobile!! It's forcing url code every time I edit, grr

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 2, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

OH this was the best part! When the roto rooter guy cleaned out my drainage pipe (giggidy!) we literally watched the wet spot vanish into the earth. It's just mud now, instead of 6" of standing water. Woo!

Just me currently but it'd ideally be serving 2 to 3 people within a couple years. Is there a good way to upload an image on Android to imgur and post on the forums? I've never quite figured that one out on mobile. I'll post a Pic of my fridge slot. It's annoying in that it's right next to the door to the kitchen so it makes it feel like a 3 foot tunnel rather than a doorway.

http://imgur.com/E5G7fXj.Jpg

How in the blazes do you bbcode an img on mobile!! It's forcing url code every time I edit, grr

There's an official Imgur app:
https://imgur.com/mobile

but it kinda sucks.

I think you can directly post photos using the Awful App? Also, try [timg]

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's super dumb because they're trying to stop being an image sharing site now that they've hit critical mass. Android: Upload your image (which they now call a "post" because it's dumber that way), open up your post, click on the image, click the "share" icon, click "copy url" - it will copy the i.imgur.com link you actually want.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The cabinet is a 33" wide cut, but the counter tops were cut a full 1" into the fridge recess, so if you put a property-fitted fridge in there it looks bad because it's ever-so-slightly off center.

I opted for a 36" fridge since the space between the counter top and the door frame is 37.5"

It's going to be a tight fit and look like garbage, but at least I'll have decent fridge capacity. Sub-20.0cu ft fridges were nightmarishly small

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why would you install a countertop with an overhang like that? That's fuckin strange.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those cabinets look new enough that you could probably find a filler board that matches. And then just move to top cabinet to center above your fridge and fill the gap.

You can also have the countertop cut in a way that's not completely stupid.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a soffit over that space? Or are those doors and cabinets really tall?

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 2, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah my house was built in 1981 and owned by the same family from 1985 to 2019. Every single improvement or update they made to the house was with a primary goal of "Cheap". I'm expecting my first year in this house to mostly be fixing their handiwork. The ceiling is low because they saved $$$ on their recessed lighting project by adding a drop ceiling :laugh: The counter tops were probably just because they hosed up at measuring

It was no surprise at all when I found a wad of letters stuffed in an AC vent with this cover letter:

Fuckers had NO money

If anyone can read Korean, there were a dozen similar letters that look like even more balances from friends

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah my house was built in 1981 and owned by the same family from 1985 to 2019. Every single improvement or update they made to the house was with a primary goal of "Cheap". I'm expecting my first year in this house to mostly be fixing their handiwork. The ceiling is low because they saved $$$ on their recessed lighting project by adding a drop ceiling :laugh: The counter tops were probably just because they hosed up at measuring

It was no surprise at all when I found a wad of letters stuffed in an AC vent with this cover letter:

Fuckers had NO money

If anyone can read Korean, there were a dozen similar letters that look like even more balances from friends

Doing a fully finished drywall false ceiling is saving money over pulling some romex and putting cans in? :psyduck:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jealous Cow posted:

Is there a soffit over that space? Or are those doors and cabinets really tall?

Standard 6'8" door with the dumbass drop ceiling

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Standard 6'8" door with the dumbass drop ceiling

Huh. So you're the person who still buys side-by-side.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

That pic is from the zillow listing! That fridge is in the garage where it belongs, and I've got a shiny new french door unit coming next Tuesday. Ready to get hooked up to my sweet icemaker box that some helpful soul recommended ITT

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

Let people like what they like!

Also I wouldnt be so quick to say the drop is for the lights. Are there bathrooms above the kitchen? Mine is the same from '78 just to get enough drop in the ceiling for the plumbing drain lines. What's worse in a way is it didn't even have recessed lighting, there were only one pendant and two ceiling titties in there! It was like a cave. I added 5 Led can lights and it's great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

But what about GGGC?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StormDrain posted:

gently caress you, then we wouldn't have McMansion Hell and the world would be a worse place for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

But what about GGGC?

He's not people obviously.

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress you, then we wouldn't have McMansion Hell and the world would be a worse place for it.

Ugh I guess.