Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Thanatosian posted:

I make $50k a year, but I'm about to buy a new mattress, frame, and sheets, which are probably going to run me about $2500, and probably paying for a trip in the next three months or so that'll run up another thousand or so; CC expenses are otherwise about a thousand a month. What's my best bet for a card to take advantage of a couple of months of high spending? CSR? I don't do a large amount of traveling, but in addition to the trip in the next three months, I'll be taking a trip to Japan next spring. Credit rating is 800ish, if that matters.

Look for a card with a high sign-up bonus but a high minimum spend. Some premium cards are really awesome, but require you to spend $5000 within 3 months.

I googled it, and found these resources:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-big-spend-bonuses/

https://wallethub.com/answers/cc/best-credit-card-for-high-spenders-2140663392/

The general word of advice is to find a card with a waived annual fee in the first year, and make sure to downgrade it before the 2nd year to avoid paying an annual fee. Make sure the bonus is for something you would actually use, either cashback or miles/hotel stays. Not many cards offer flexibility, though the Chase cards and the Capital One cards come to mind as being redeemable for either cash or travel. And when you downgrade, it helps if the card is still useful to you to keep in your wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Right now I have three cards:
- Citi Costco card, good cash back on some purchases but 1% on anything that doesn't qualify. Lots of travel benefits.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5% on anything , I think there are rotating categories? Not sure whether there are other benefits I'm disregarding
- Wells Fargo card from college. Never used but I have it. I'm pretty sure this one is junk

Is there anything big I'm missing out on with what I have, and does anyone have recs for more cards with some sort of perk? I end up flying a number of times every year and I think it's only going to increase. Travel generally is probably going to become my main expenditure over the next few years

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Writing this up, I feel like Nerdwallet or a card salesman. Anyway,

I'd see if you can have them change the Chase Freedom Unlimited to just a Chase Freedom. That has the rotating categories, but you lose out on .5% on everything else.

So for the other stuff, get a Citi Double Cash, which is a flat 2%

As long as you're earning those Chase points, might as well make the best use of them with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It's got that crazy high $495 annual fee, but they just give you back $300 from travel, there's lounge access, and 3x points on all travel. And the best thing is redeeming points for 50% more when you use them for travel. So $500 worth of points will be $750 worth, but you get math I think.

Cut up the Wells Fargo card.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Simpsons Reference posted:

Writing this up, I feel like Nerdwallet or a card salesman. Anyway,

I'd see if you can have them change the Chase Freedom Unlimited to just a Chase Freedom. That has the rotating categories, but you lose out on .5% on everything else.

So for the other stuff, get a Citi Double Cash, which is a flat 2%

As long as you're earning those Chase points, might as well make the best use of them with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It's got that crazy high $495 annual fee, but they just give you back $300 from travel, there's lounge access, and 3x points on all travel. And the best thing is redeeming points for 50% more when you use them for travel. So $500 worth of points will be $750 worth, but you get math I think.

Oh wow can't believe I haven't seen that double cash before, that's definitely the play for generic purchases

I'll get that, then change the chase to one of those other ones (I originally got it in 2016 I think? My first card expires 9/19) and then I should be getting the best bang for my buck

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Question for those with Discover It, Chase Freedom, etc- last call for Q2 categories was a couple days ago, right? Transactions have to post by tomorrow for it to count?

Bah, I forgot to buy a couple grocery store cards.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hoshi posted:

Oh wow can't believe I haven't seen that double cash before, that's definitely the play for generic purchases

I'll get that, then change the chase to one of those other ones (I originally got it in 2016 I think? My first card expires 9/19) and then I should be getting the best bang for my buck

If you have Amazon Prime and use it a lot, also consider looking into the Prime Rewards Visa too. You get a $70 Amazon gift card for signing up, 5% cash back there and at Whole Foods, plus 2% on gas and restaurants and 1% everything else. It’s through Chase, so it’d be same website/app/etc as the Freedom Unlimited you already use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question for those with Discover It, Chase Freedom, etc- last call for Q2 categories was a couple days ago, right? Transactions have to post by tomorrow for it to count?

I was wondering the same thing. Only just had chance this morning to put $300 extra on a grocery run. It’s pending but datestamped as 29th, so I’m hoping...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I've been using Disover IT Cash Back since last year, and they're supposed to double the cash back I've built up this August. I'm thinking of switching to Citi Double Cash after this since the cash back benefits are better without the doubling.

Would getting a new card so soon gently caress up my credit (770) too much?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I've never had inquiries drop my score very much. And it should go back up before long even if it drops.

Are you planning on buying a car or house in the next couple years? Because that tends to be the only reason to avoid credit pulls.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Question for a friend - he got his first card, the Amazon one, almost six months ago. He has ~750 credit score. Should he wait longer before getting a second one (like the Citi double cash)?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

Question for a friend - he got his first card, the Amazon one, almost six months ago. He has ~750 credit score. Should he wait longer before getting a second one (like the Citi double cash)?
They’ll be fine.

E: As long as they have a job and poo poo.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

They’ll be fine.

E: As long as they have a job and poo poo.

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I think it's just $450.

IIRC, the Wells Fargo Amex card with the Visa Signature can actually be a powerful combo (4.5% back on travel, dining, streaming services, and gas with no annual fee.)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

I think it's just $450.

IIRC, the Wells Fargo Amex card with the Visa Signature can actually be a powerful combo (4.5% back on travel, dining, streaming services, and gas with no annual fee.)

Can confirm it is just $450. Saw the $300 travel which is cool, and they credit up to $100 for global entry so the first year's fee works out to $50 for me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Discover It for 3Q counts Paypal. So that's any purchase made using Paypal, I'm assuming.

It also says sending money to people through Paypal counts. But I'm a little wary about that. Wouldn't that count as a cash advance? Or at least something like a 2.5% fee for them to receive it?

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Yes, there's a ~3% fee to send money to a friend on Paypal with a credit card. But at 5% cashback, you'll still come out ahead.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Is the Chase Freedom still a decent card for the downgrade? I have both a Preferred and the Reserve, got them a couple years ago for the sign up bonuses, but I've stopped using my Preferred for travel as the CSR is just better and there's no sense in continuing to pay the annual fee.

Rather than cancelling it is the best advice still downgrade? I pay my cards off every month so don't care about interest rates, xfers, etc.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ixian posted:

Is the Chase Freedom still a decent card for the downgrade?
It's great if you can take advantage of the 5% categories.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
For those with the Amazon Visa card, it's doing a 5% back promotion for utilities, phone, cable, and insurance through September.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

It's great if you can take advantage of the 5% categories.
If you don't want to track the categories, the Freedom Unlimited is 1.5% on everything and is a low-effort card to use for anything that's not travel or dining. If you travel enough to carry a CSR, bumping everything else up to around 2.5% back is a good solution.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am not eligible for chases sign up on the sapphire for reserve because I have opened and hit a point bonus on the sapphire preferred in the last 4 years. I have to push about 4 grand through a card and the next week or 2. Is it worth signing up for a card with a fat bonus to leverage this large purchase?

I have considered the am ex plat because I use my personal card to travel for business fairly often. How does this card's rewards stack against the Chase sapphire reserve? I am eligible to upgrade my preferred to reserve but there would be no sign up bonus :(

I also heard a rumor amx is loosing priority pass?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Get the Capital One Venture. Get your $500 points and cancel it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I am not eligible for chases sign up on the sapphire for reserve because I have opened and hit a point bonus on the sapphire preferred in the last 4 years. I have to push about 4 grand through a card and the next week or 2. Is it worth signing up for a card with a fat bonus to leverage this large purchase?

I have considered the am ex plat because I use my personal card to travel for business fairly often. How does this card's rewards stack against the Chase sapphire reserve? I am eligible to upgrade my preferred to reserve but there would be no sign up bonus :(

I also heard a rumor amx is loosing priority pass?

Do you have AA lounge access? The citi AA executive will reimburse you for the cost of an AA Admirals club membership. I’m planning on picking that up next year as soon as I get my admirals club membership (which I can expense to the company) and get ~$400 of the $450 AF back

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Do you have AA lounge access? The citi AA executive will reimburse you for the cost of an AA Admirals club membership. I’m planning on picking that up next year as soon as I get my admirals club membership (which I can expense to the company) and get ~$400 of the $450 AF back

I do not. my home airport is Mia which is where American is based out of so this is actually not a bad idea. I generally stay and IHG properties when I travel and predominantly fly AA. Unfortunately this trip is going to require me to stay at a Marriott a for the ticket package to the fight that we are going to go to so I am losing out on my points there :(

Is the card useful for anything apart from this ? Is there a yearly due?

E: jk sorry 450$ yearly due no other points ugh.

E2: I really wanna leverage this 4k pop but I'm not sold on the AMEX plat being worth the yearly fee....and im super butt hurt the CSR bonus is not applicable to me.

A few of my coworkers love it. Others dont think it's worth it

IHG/Citi AA are super siloed but idk.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 2, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Untagged posted:

For those with the Amazon Visa card, it's doing a 5% back promotion for utilities, phone, cable, and insurance through September.

I can't find this deal anywhere that's current? It was available in the first quarter (and I think I used it to pay insurance at least) but I can't find one for June-September.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Waroduce posted:

E2: I really wanna leverage this 4k pop but I'm not sold on the AMEX plat being worth the yearly fee....and im super butt hurt the CSR bonus is not applicable to me.

A few of my coworkers love it. Others dont think it's worth it

Amex Plat fee works out to $50/year so long as you 1) use the airline credit (and AA is one of the eligible airlines); 2) Uber at least once a month and 3) have occasion to buy something at Saks twice a year - and that's not even counting the pre-check/Global Entry credit. Also Miami has a centurion lounge. It's your call but I say go for it, particularly if you can get a 100k bonus.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

angryrobots posted:

I can't find this deal anywhere that's current? It was available in the first quarter (and I think I used it to pay insurance at least) but I can't find one for June-September.

It came in an email from Amazon/Chase with an activation link. Perhaps it's a rolling ymmv thing for certain card holders.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ok thanks, hopefully I'll see it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Untagged posted:

It came in an email from Amazon/Chase with an activation link. Perhaps it's a rolling ymmv thing for certain card holders.

These are highly targeted and I rarely/never get them for the Amazon card.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

JohnCompany posted:

Amex Plat fee works out to $50/year so long as you 1) use the airline credit (and AA is one of the eligible airlines); 2) Uber at least once a month and 3) have occasion to buy something at Saks twice a year - and that's not even counting the pre-check/Global Entry credit. Also Miami has a centurion lounge. It's your call but I say go for it, particularly if you can get a 100k bonus.

Why are you paying a ton of airline fees in a year? If you travel enough to make the Plat worth it, you should have enough status to get a free checked bag. Since you have to pick a single airline, it's not all that useful for "what if I end up needing to fly another airline where I don't have status" situations, either. Expensable flight changes should be pretty rare unless you have a habit of missing flights. The only thing left is buying inflight snacks and drinks. And even those aren't useful if you have decent status.

Uber, OK. If you travel for business every month and put expenses on your personal card you can probably make that work. That's $200 off of $550. Of course, every month you manage to avoid traveling, you lose out on the credit.

Saks? And not Off Fifth? gently caress that nonsense, if you can afford to shop at full-price department stores outside of special occasions then you don't need to care about points. What are you going to get for $50, a single house brand shirt that you probably wouldn't have bought there otherwise?

The Global Entry credit is $20/year. How valuable.

The Amex Plat can be worth it for a handful of reasons. If you bounce between hotel chains, the instant status is nice. The lounges are good if you're able to take advantage of them and don't want to sign up with a specific airline. And, if you pump a ton of airfare spending through the card, MR points rack up fast and are pretty valuable.

Just don't kid yourself that the credits actually net out to a small annual fee.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

It can also be worth it to count some of Amex's side benefits in to the equation if you can use them, like roadside assistance. We cancelled AAA ($100/year) and Amex's is generally a better plan. But that also comes with the Amex Gold card with a lower annual fee.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

About to send off the letter to Chase, rejecting the third-party arbitration. Long shot, but does anyone know if they seriously want the entire account number in the letter, or would the last 4 digits suffice?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

About to send off the letter to Chase, rejecting the third-party arbitration. Long shot, but does anyone know if they seriously want the entire account number in the letter, or would the last 4 digits suffice?

I can guaran-loving-tee you that if you don't follow their instructions to the goddamn letter, they're going to toss it out and ignore it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bentai posted:

Is that what this thing I got in the mail just now is about? asking me about a privacy choice about sharing my info to affiliated companies. If so, should I tell them not to share or what? what's the ramifications of this

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bentai posted:

Two questions on this:

1. Will they cancel my card?
2. I understand that this is lovely from a global consumer standpoint, but how likely is it to affect me?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Why are you paying a ton of airline fees in a year? If you travel enough to make the Plat worth it, you should have enough status to get a free checked bag. Since you have to pick a single airline, it's not all that useful for "what if I end up needing to fly another airline where I don't have status" situations, either. Expensable flight changes should be pretty rare unless you have a habit of missing flights. The only thing left is buying inflight snacks and drinks. And even those aren't useful if you have decent status.

Uber, OK. If you travel for business every month and put expenses on your personal card you can probably make that work. That's $200 off of $550. Of course, every month you manage to avoid traveling, you lose out on the credit.

Saks? And not Off Fifth? gently caress that nonsense, if you can afford to shop at full-price department stores outside of special occasions then you don't need to care about points. What are you going to get for $50, a single house brand shirt that you probably wouldn't have bought there otherwise?

The Global Entry credit is $20/year. How valuable.

The Amex Plat can be worth it for a handful of reasons. If you bounce between hotel chains, the instant status is nice. The lounges are good if you're able to take advantage of them and don't want to sign up with a specific airline. And, if you pump a ton of airfare spending through the card, MR points rack up fast and are pretty valuable.

Just don't kid yourself that the credits actually net out to a small annual fee.

How is $400 in airline GCs and $200 in Uber not covering your annual fee? You don't even need to get into the $100k points, lounge access, $100 in Saks or other random perks before you come out slightly positive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was wondering the same thing. Only just had chance this morning to put $300 extra on a grocery run. It’s pending but datestamped as 29th, so I’m hoping...

Update: I went Saturday (29th), it came up as pending for the 29th, and it's now cleared with the same date and the points match 5%. So yeah, looks like as long as the charge is made during the month, it doesn't matter if it holds in pending for a few days into the new month. This one only cleared this morning.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

How is $400 in airline GCs and $200 in Uber not covering your annual fee? You don't even need to get into the $100k points, lounge access, $100 in Saks or other random perks before you come out slightly positive.

I hear the GC loop hole is closed now?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Update: I went Saturday (29th), it came up as pending for the 29th, and it's now cleared with the same date and the points match 5%. So yeah, looks like as long as the charge is made during the month, it doesn't matter if it holds in pending for a few days into the new month. This one only cleared this morning.

Ah poo poo. Spent about $100 on restaurants with the Discover over the weekend. That runs counter to what the cards say about it on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

I hear the GC loop hole is closed now?

AA is but DL and WN still work.