Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

also; Civilizations (the Rik'Tika Greatwood theme) is quite possibly the best loving song in the entire goddamn game. Jesus that is an evocative piece.
It reminds me a lot of the music in Shadow Hearts, an okay series with fantastic music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any ideas for decent monk glam that isn't job neutral stuff?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

S.J. posted:

Any ideas for decent monk glam that isn't job neutral stuff?

Mixing and matching AF pieces is always a good idea.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Ridorana Lighthouse, July 1, 2019.

Deaths:

No commentary, just check out this huge number.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shouldn't you be working on your gatcha LP instead of bustin' my balls

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i could have pushed to 80 and seen the credits tonight if there wasn't maintenance :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brainamp posted:

Hit the credits. I'm a sobbing wreck right now. Game Good.

I've been crying on the reg throughout most of the MSQ. The soundtrack is stunning this time around; I feel the waterworks coming on whenever that goddamn piano track starts playing. They've also managed to recapture the Heavensward magic of having genuinely good central characters with obvious flaws who are struggling to rise above them in spite of the circumstances they're in. There's conflict in the party, something that was dearly missed in Stormblood, where everyone in your party agreed with eachother wholeheartedly, like, 98% of the time and never had conflicting goals or aspirations.

Mister No posted:

I really like Fordola as a character, and I don't actually know why- I don't think I'm supposed to at wherever I am in the story, but I liked her even when she was outright terrible and ruthless.

It's because she's a villain with believably tragic motivations who is driven and determined to see her vision through. She's flawed - terribly flawed - and those flaws drive her deeper and deeper down the descent to Hell until she takes the final step. It's a pretty classic but compelling conceit, something that stands out moreso in a story where your other two villains share the same backstory of 'poo poo childhood turned them into a grinning anime psychopath'. There's only room for one Kefkaesque villain per FF title, please.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ibblebibble posted:

Mixing and matching AF pieces is always a good idea.

I don't know what AF means

I'm gonna be using Hellfire Claws though. Those things are loving dope. I saw some armor from binding coils 5 I think that looks really sick too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

S.J. posted:

Artifact Gear

Potato Jones posted:

Ridorana Lighthouse, July 1, 2019.

Deaths:

No commentary, just check out this huge number.

What the gently caress, how

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

shouldn't you be working on your gatcha LP instead of bustin' my balls

Yes but busting balls is more fun.

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna be using Hellfire Claws though. Those things are loving dope. I saw some armor from binding coils 5 I think that looks really sick too.

AF = artifact armour. The stuff that you get for finishing your job questlines.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Arty Fact, armorsmith extraordinaire

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Yes but busting balls is more fun.

PM me

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Oh my God, The Burn is the best dungeon I've been through so far. A year or so late or whatever, but hot drat that was unbelievably fun going in blind with 30 minutes or so until the maintenance. Wiped once on the Mist Dragon until I figured out why the first explosions are shaped like starbursts.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Do the XP boost manuals for crafters/gatherers apply to the XP gained from finishing quests or turning in leves, or does it only apply to the bits of XP you get for actually crafting/gathering an item?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister No posted:

Oh my God, The Burn is the best dungeon I've been through so far. A year or so late or whatever, but hot drat that was unbelievably fun going in blind with 30 minutes or so until the maintenance. Wiped once on the Mist Dragon until I figured out why the first explosions are shaped like starbursts.

the burn was an amazing dungeon, but the last Stormblood dungeon is even better.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So it turns out that in order to run Trust dungeons after the first time you unlock each of them, you have to level up your Trust buddies. The only way to accomplish this is to spam Holminster Switch, like a lot. It looks like seven times will get them to level 72, but of course they need to be 73 to run the next dungeon. Also you can only bring three at a time so you have to level up the other three separately. Did I mention that Trusts hate using AoEs?

Tsubame-gaeshi cancels your GCD so you can't queue an attack after it. I don't know why that is but it is kind of a downer.

Those are... the only two complaints I have about ShB so far??

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Burn's great, and I think a reason for that is even when you outgear the place, the last boss can still gently caress a party up.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The best part of The Burn is having JP voices on and everyone going "ZA BA-N" like they're about to do a jojo's

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Automated Posting posted:

Do the XP boost manuals for crafters/gatherers apply to the XP gained from finishing quests or turning in leves, or does it only apply to the bits of XP you get for actually crafting/gathering an item?

Generally, anything that boosts XP, boosts only stuff that rest XP also effects. So, for Gatherer's it's collecting an item at a node.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think one thing that makes the Shadowbringers story strong is that there is almost always a ticking clock. It feels like we always are running out of time to get poo poo done before catastrophe strikes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

So it turns out that in order to run Trust dungeons after the first time you unlock each of them, you have to level up your Trust buddies. The only way to accomplish this is to spam Holminster Switch, like a lot. It looks like seven times will get them to level 72, but of course they need to be 73 to run the next dungeon. Also you can only bring three at a time so you have to level up the other three separately. Did I mention that Trusts hate using AoEs?

This feels like an intentional limitation to try and force you to play with other people if you want to level up via dungeon runs instead of strolling through Trusts by yourself for leisurely EXP.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Tsubame-gaeshi cancels your GCD so you can't queue an attack after it. I don't know why that is but it is kind of a downer.

Those are... the only two complaints I have about ShB so far??

I don't think this is the case? I remember looking at the trust menu at some point when I had the first two dungeons unlocked and it seemed that the trust folk just sync to the minimum dungeon level?

I'll double check when I get home I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I really like black mage. I really like Flare.

That being said, I blasted through several level 70 dungeons with red mage and I guess I severely underestimated how much the AOE changes would improve that job for me. Now I guess I gotta spam fuckin' dungeons with it until I catch it up to BLM so I can finish out the MSQ with it.

Alisaie's "With heart and steel!" during Vauthry's Sin Eater attack on Lakeland may have influenced my decision making here a little. Or a lot.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Weissritter posted:

The sequence leading up to the finale was just fantastic.

The music starting up as the WoD/WoL stand up, with the WoL speaking but in Ardbert's voice with the light flaring behind, the momentary glimpse of the ascian form, even the "Champions from beyond the rift, heed my call!" moment was great.

I love this MSQ.

Yeah I won't lie in this specific cutscene (super hyper endgame spoilers) when Ardbert just, like, silently hands you his axe right before your return as the guitar kicks in I was so hyped in the moment I shouted at my screen. Also perfect gameplay-cutscene synergy, as I was playing warrior at the time!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ytlaya posted:

Summoner seems like its already long-as-gently caress rotation was made even longer, if I'm understanding things correct? Like they added a whole new phase post-Bahamut?

They added Firebird Trance, which kicks in after Bahamut, but unlocking FBT also gives a trait that makes DWT give two units of Dreadwyrm Aether right away so the rotation is now DWT -> Bahamut -> FBT rather than DWT -> DWT -> Bahamut. On top of that, your Trances are now separated from Aetherflow, so the second you enter combat you can trigger DWT and get started on that.

On the flip side, you now have to weave in Egi Assaults and new Aetherflow on top of all your usual stuff, so things can get plate spinny as all hell.

They made Titan-Egi actually useful holy poo poo I thought I'd never see the day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/goldentot/status/1144200411383062528?s=20

Mood

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The music was so, so, so on point this expansion.

Like yeah, FFXIV having good music is no shock, but the music was off the loving charts in Shadowbringers.

(spoilers in this song link)
https://www.yout ube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM

Like this loving song right here is just used for a bonus dungeon after you finish the MSQ and it I can't stop listening to it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This is a silly question maybe, but I'm the only bard in my FC at this point, and I couldn't find a solid answer elsewhere on the internet. What should bards be melding at 80? My gut says to still meld crit but I don't know if the changes to how procs works would change that.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 19, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The music was so, so, so on point this expansion.

Like yeah, FFXIV having good music is no shock, but the music was off the loving charts in Shadowbringers.

I could listen to Rak'tika's theme for hours. They're gonna be saying Soken's name in the same breath as Uematsu's in 20 years if he keeps pumping out these masterpieces.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Vermain posted:

I could listen to Rak'tika's theme for hours. They're gonna be saying Soken's name in the same breath as Uematsu's in 20 years if he keeps pumping out these masterpieces.

I mean I've already been doing that six years ever since I first hit Titan's last phase everything else has just been gravy

E: Add another name to the presumed vote for Rak'Tika having the best theme in the expansion, I might add

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Amh Araeng is my favourite zone theme and you cannot make me get off this hill.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Preliminary SCH 80 thoughts:

It's mostly fine, and most my problems with it RN revolve around Aetherflow. Combat-only Aetherflow is clunky as hell, and mostly serves to make dungeon pulls more annoying if you forgot to pop it just before the end of a fight. Also, we really need either a non-healing way to dump Aetherflow, or, at the very least, for it to use the charge system, because as it stands, it leads to weird situations where AF is off cooldown, but you still have stacks in hand, so you have to decide between wasting your remaining stacks, or leaving AF off cooldown for an extended period.

The other issue is more an optimization niggle. Ruin II being 80 potency less than Broil III (compared to the 30 potency difference between Broil II and Miasma II in SB) means you're heavily incentivized to hold onto your oGCDs until you need to refresh Biolysis, which isn't really ideal for you or your co-healer, since on your side you're just hitting Broil forever, and on their side you're uh, not healing. (Which, given that was SE's perceived problem with SCH in the first place, is a pretty large oversight.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vermain posted:

He's been there for me since Oblivion then Heavensward came out and by god every single song in that expac was a loving banger.

ShB's OST is shaping up to be just as good as HW's which is something else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loved it, especially post-70, what did you dislike about it?

Captain Cappy posted:

It was stupid that she survived. It was stupid that Gosetsu survived. I couldn't bring myself to give a gently caress after they were revealed to be alive. Don't shoot someone multiple times, drop a castle on them, and have them drift out to sea to a tiny island with a big palm tree on it if you want to tell a story about them.

This is the main thing for me. It kind of had a decent resolution, and the boss fight was definitely cool, but the contrivance needed to get to that point was so bad it completely took me out of it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meiteron posted:

I mean I've already been doing that six years ever since I first hit Titan's last phase everything else has just been gravy

E: Add another name to the presumed vote for Rak'Tika having the best theme in the expansion, I might add

I mean Soken has been a good musicman for Square since ARR, this is true.

However, it takes a bit more than three soundtracks and six years to be able to rise to the status of Uematsu.

ShB pushes him over the edge into the same strata, finally, for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

also; Civilizations (the Rik'Tika Greatwood theme) is quite possibly the best loving song in the entire goddamn game. Jesus that is an evocative piece.

:agreed:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The combat only thing hosed me up for AST for a while because I was like "why aren't my seals applying, Yoshi-P what did you do" but then I realized I had to officially Be In The Fight, which seems to require me to put Combust on something or something? But once I realized I had to do some token DOT or whatever and then it worked fine, my brain updated.

I'm still trying to internalize which cards go on melee/tank and which go on ranged/healer

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Captain Cappy posted:

It was stupid that she survived. It was stupid that Gosetsu survived. I couldn't bring myself to give a gently caress after they were revealed to be alive. Don't shoot someone multiple times, drop a castle on them, and have them drift out to sea to a tiny island with a big palm tree on it if you want to tell a story about them.

:yeah:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
"In-combat" detection is weird and finicky. Sometimes it counts if the tank has hit something in the face, sometimes it only counts if I've cast something on a mob or the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Archyduchess posted:

This is a silly question maybe, but I'm the only person in my FC at this point, and I couldn't find a solid answer elsewhere on the internet. What should bards be melding at 80? My gut says to still meld crit but I don't know if the changes to how procs works would change that.

While I'm not at 80 yet I can tell you that with the proc changes Crit is not nearly as valuable as it used to be (procs are now flat percentages). So I'd say don't go with your gut because it's probably wrong. Honestly I'd hold off on melding until the first raid cycle, you won't need it until then and by then people will have figured out what the best melds are for the gear you've got.