Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My main complaint is that Matt Frewer isn't in every scene. Well, and Dwight's reason for attacking John and June was dumb, but overall it's been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just started season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead and I am...so confused.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair, it ties into the Season 8 Walking Dead ending more than it does Fear. It started quite pleasant 😔

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

My friend, you just hit a time jump!

S1-3 of Fear happened in the first several months of the apocalypse.

Then Gimple decided 'There's gonna be a cross-over character!' So they jump ~2+ years ahead, nevermind the dam cliffhanger.

It..... was a terrible move.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually had to dig around online to make sure I didn't accidentally miss an entire season, because it addresses literally nothing that happened at the end of season 3. Not to mention all of the TWD crossover stuff in the first episode.

Aside from how poorly all of that was handled it still seems a little bit better than the main show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot that John Dorie was in the first ep of season 4

That makes that first half a lot better than I remember

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I flipped through last night's episode and it looks goodish

Things Happen so I'm still having a hard time believing Gimple worked on this

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why in the gently caress would mo Collins rip down the wall of salvidads place? Like what if a herd came while they were waiting for him to come back

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

My friend, you just hit a time jump!

S1-3 of Fear happened in the first several months of the apocalypse.

Then Gimple decided 'There's gonna be a cross-over character!' So they jump ~2+ years ahead, nevermind the dam cliffhanger.

It..... was a terrible move.

Remember how FTWD was supposed to be about the beginning of the apocalypse?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Salazar is doing okay in this zombie apocalypse. Wish he stuck around but him being a lone wolf who shows up every so often is all right too, there's already a big cast.

And Alicia's the best - another double kill!

The inventive use of airplane propellors was done well. Sort of a tribute or homage to the infamous lawnmower scene in Braindead.

Whether or not the plot holds up, the zombie looks and effects have been the highlights of this season.

Binary Logic posted:

I really liked that the kids were smarter than our main group of survivors, and are not part of or the bait for some cult (so far).

Well...these kids are still okay, at least they're capable of rational thought.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 25, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like the plot of this season is seeing how they can setup up a wacky kill each episode.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone parse what El Salvidad about the situation there

So he met warehouse guy, warehouse guy set up traps, salvidad "inherited" warehouse, and salvidad disables traps

Also it was weird how they all just kinda ignored him out the door

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

Salazar is doing okay in this zombie apocalypse. Wish he stuck around but him being a lone wolf who shows up every so often is all right too, there's already a big cast.

Would have owned if he was listening to actual Ruben Blades music instead of blues. :allears:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

Did anyone parse what El Salvidad about the situation there

So he met warehouse guy, warehouse guy set up traps, salvidad "inherited" warehouse, and salvidad disables traps

Yeah nobody believed that line from Daniel. "I found this big secure fully stocked warehouse, it was occupied yadda yadda now it's mine".

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm gonna guess that Logan made that move to take over the main crew's setup at the denim factory because he originally held El Salvidad's warehouse and they had to get out because, I mean, c'mon, what chance does anyone have against Daniel?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm gonna guess that Logan made that move to take over the main crew's setup at the denim factory because he originally held El Salvidad's warehouse and they had to get out because, I mean, c'mon, what chance does anyone have against Daniel?

Yes! Salvidad is leading the horde to the denim factory for his confrontation with Logan.

Rocksicles posted:

Seems like the plot of this season is seeing how they can setup up a wacky kill each episode.
And a new Alicia double-kill.
I'm all about that action. It's why zombie exist.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Congrats to those who buy the next issue of the comic

https://twitter.com/RobertKirkman/status/1145657280370761728

Bleeding Cool is reporting the twist is it's the last issue. Yes, really

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Chris James 2 posted:

wtf

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Chris James 2 posted:

Well in issue 192 Rick gets gunned down, and Carl kills him when he finds him zombified. So I wouldn't be surprised by that spoiler.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Couldn't even make it to 200?

Also, FTWD last night was.... meh? It felt pretty Gimple. Lot of faffing about under the pretext that it is important to some meta goal instead of being interesting or compelling in its own right. DON'T YOU WANT TO HEAR MORE TEASES OF INFO ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO RICK!?!?!?!?! The episode doesn't stand on its own, or even within it's own show.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 1, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Only top secret paramilitary organizations can design things like "thick jacket that can't be bit through"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Is kinda weird to stop now all of a sudden, anyway. There seems to be so much going on

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's crazy, came out of nowhere. Must be sick of the bloody thing!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

That's crazy, came out of nowhere. Must be sick of the bloody thing!

Maybe he got an offer to work on a Star Wars comic. :rimshot:
Or maybe Kirkman wanted to kill off Rick but AMC didn't want that to happen since they have plans for him.
Wouldn't surprise me if Image Comics is set to release a bunch of spinoff comics from other writers.

moist turtleneck posted:

Only top secret paramilitary organizations can design things like "thick jacket that can't be bit through"
Don't forget the matching pants.
The entire point is that it isn't thick material, it's lightweight and doesn't hinder movement at all. Happy wore the bite-proof suit while climbing the rock wall.

JossiRossi posted:

Couldn't even make it to 200?

Also, FTWD last night was.... meh? It felt pretty Gimple. Lot of faffing about under the pretext that it is important to some meta goal instead of being interesting or compelling in its own right. DON'T YOU WANT TO HEAR MORE TEASES OF INFO ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO RICK!?!?!?!?! The episode doesn't stand on its own, or even within it's own show.
Who cares about that, the significant tease of the episode is that Al and Happy had sex - and all we got to see was them sharing a beer and a kiss!
I just wish Al had said something to Isabella like, "Your people obviously don't have a cure or inoculation, and without that this future you're talking about is an illusion".

It was an okay episode considering we hardly saw the main characters. The rock climb was a nice change from endless scenes of people walking along a road.And we had no Alicia double-kills but this was new.

Who needs a weapon, crack that skull like a walnut.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

It's been officially confirmed btw

Also fun fact about the final volume: you can connect the covers of it and the first one perfectly

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Kirkman mentioned one of his original ending ideas and I actually like it a lot more.

It was when Rick took over Alexandria essentially. He'd finish giving a big speech. Then it'd cut to a new panel and instead of Rick's face, it's a bronze statue of him at an unknown future date. It then pulls further out to show the statue is covered in vines, and the town dilapidated. A walker wanders by.

I really like this, because it's the fate of all civilizations and efforts. To be steamrolled by time and age. Although, I get that it seems super dark, inadvertently the fact there'd be zombies means somewhere there's still people. So, this moment of triumph and optimism is important for the moment, and the fact it fails later doesn't take away from that. But Kirkman just wanted an edgy dark ending for his edgy dumb comic and I don't think actually thinks about themes or anything more than face value on anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I actually liked the ending and to go as far as soliciting additional issues (with covers) to throw people off AND to make this an extra long issue for the same price of a regular issue is a really cool and bold move. No advertisement about it either, the leaks/news only began once comic shops got their stock the day before and realized what was going on.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

drat I'm going to have to actually finish that stupid comic now. For closure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm a couple seasons behind on this show, and super excited for Death Stranding, so I thought I'd watch the whole show from the beginning to get caught up. I'm most of the way through season 2, it's not bad. I remember season being really drat boring, but I guess being able to watch it at my own pace instead of havingto wait a week between episodes fixes that

I will say though, too much suicide talk. I get that it's something that would have to be addressed, but you do that once and move on. But first Andrea has her little arc, then Lori goes through basically the same thing with wanting to let Carl die/do an abortion, and now Beth is having her suicide arc. It's just repeating the same emotional thing three times.

Lori hitting a walker and then choosing to flip her car is hilarious.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gripweed posted:

Lori hitting a walker and then choosing to flip her car is hilarious.

That's why you buckle up. Also why you don't go out alone without warning during a zombie apocalypse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chronojam posted:

That's why you buckle up. Also why you don't go out alone without warning during a zombie apocalypse.

check it out, she flips the car on purpose. She hit the zombie but the car has recovered, she's travelling straight down the road, but then she just cranks the wheel

Kinda odd that the show never addresses it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You didn't see the banana in the road?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

check it out, she flips the car on purpose. She hit the zombie but the car has recovered, she's travelling straight down the road, but then she just cranks the wheel

Kinda odd that the show never addresses it.

Not as bad as

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I would not trust these people with putting a plane back together

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

goddamn I'd forgotten how goofy Michonne was. A hooded samurai walking two slave zombies

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

lol I would not trust these people with putting a plane back together

Reminds me of a movie I saw ages ago called Flight of the Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hIoLNecqI

The series of letters from Sherry to Dwight was ridiculous but otherwise another decent episode. And the sight of the hot-air balloon was easily one of the series' funniest moments. It's just a shame Salazar wasn't there to make a crack about Strand finding a means of transportation that could benefit from all his hot air.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Here's my thoughts on the first two episodes of the third season

That opening scene in the premier, where they're clearing the house silently, is really good. It communicates so much about what they've been through between the seasons.

There's no reason for them to be grilling on a fan cover. I know that survival supplies probably got cleared out really early on in the outbreak, but it's not like you use up grills. In the clearing scene you see that people had camped out in the house, but the characters don't comment or put any significance on that. So they are used to coming across abandoned camps. They should've found so many grills by now. Hell, oven racks would be cheap and plentiful in the zombie apocalypse. So there's no reason they wouldn't be using a food-safe rack to cook on.

I'm glad the prisoner arc lasted all of one episode. That feels like they realized the will they/won't they with Shane and Rick went on too long, and they're basically promising not to do that again.

Man this show really did Lori dirty. Like, it's not like she ever does anything really wrong. Not counting her car flipping adventure, of course. But beyond that, pretty much everything she does is reasonable for someone in her position to have done. But that's it, all she ever gets is to not really be acting out of line if you think about it. Every other character does dumb poo poo, but they also do cool poo poo. Even Shane, designated bad guy, takes decisive action that moves the plot forward and resolves issues. Imagine if just once, in the entire time Lori had been on the show, she had done something cool. Recovered something the group needed, or killed a couple walkers in a badass way, or anything. It would've made her a way more likable character. But instead all she does is sleep with another guy while her husband is desperately trying to find her, and then disagree with people or not let her son do things or be mean to her husband. All of it completely reasonable! But she never gets to be a character of action. it sucks

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Leads cast for the recently-announced currently-untitled third Walking Dead show https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/third-walking-dead-series-cast-1203262504/

Alexa Mansour (Unfriended: Dark Web)
Nicolas Cantu (Gumball in The Amazing World Of Gumball)
Hal Cumpston

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why couldn't it had been Nic Cage instead of whatever name that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Chris James 2 posted:

Leads cast for the recently-announced currently-untitled third Walking Dead show https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/third-walking-dead-series-cast-1203262504/

Alexa Mansour (Unfriended: Dark Web)
Nicolas Cantu (Gumball in The Amazing World Of Gumball)
Hal Cumpston

:ohdear: "Hal, are you sure you don't want to pick a stage name for your acting career?"

:tipshat: "No thank you sir, my name is Hal Cumpston, that's the name I was born with, and by golly that's the name I'm gonna make famous!"