Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that even the Paradox devs don’t understand how the Vicky 2 economic system works?

it was true until groogy and wiz decided to tear into the code for the final improvement patch. that led to an understanding of things such as sphering, which magically makes goods appear out of thin air. this is why sphering large parts of china blows up the economy - each sphered tag produces 50% more stuff, in total, than an unsphered tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I seem to recall stories about trying to figure out the V2 economy code being a hazing ritual at Paradox.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm also going to hold the unpopular opinion that I want Victoria 3 to actually be a game. Vicky 2 may be hilarious in how it captures the impenetrability of the era but it's not like it'll stop existing. I want to actually screw around in the most fascinating century of history without feeling completely unsatisfied with it all, and having zero effective control does that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vicky 3 should have no hype, no dev diaries, no trailers theirs just an announcement and it appears in your library like a cursed tome. When asked how it works the devs give what's a best contradictory information or outright lies at worst.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serious post tho I still say they should remove armies as things you click around and instead set up an in-depth pre-planning mechanic to represent how hard it was to really mobilize a countries full military and how shifts in diplomatic policy can blow up decades of preparation

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Agean90 posted:

Serious post tho I still say they should remove armies as things you click around and instead set up an in-depth pre-planning mechanic to represent how hard it was to really mobilize a countries full military and how shifts in diplomatic policy can blow up decades of preparation

Strongly disagree.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vicky 2 owns because the Paradox devs realized that only Marx's theory of capitalist imperialism were the framework that could produce a workable colonial mechanic https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269733/How_Paradox_plunders_history_for_great_gameplay_mechanics.php

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vicky 2 owns because the Paradox devs realized that only Marx's theory of capitalist imperialism were the framework that could produce a workable colonial mechanic https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269733/How_Paradox_plunders_history_for_great_gameplay_mechanics.php

Shame the guy is a full-on Thatcher 'the free market is king' neo-liberal capitalist, but even he has to admit Marx' historiography has some salient points.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm also going to hold the unpopular opinion that I want Victoria 3 to actually be a game. Vicky 2 may be hilarious in how it captures the impenetrability of the era but it's not like it'll stop existing. I want to actually screw around in the most fascinating century of history without feeling completely unsatisfied with it all, and having zero effective control does that.

If you felt unsatisfied that seemed to be a you problem.

Vicky 2 was the most satisfying of the paradox games marred by its insane jankiness.

I hope they don’t make like CK2 or something like that.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you felt unsatisfied that seemed to be a you problem.

Vicky 2 was the most satisfying of the paradox games marred by its insane jankiness.

I hope they don’t make like CK2 EU4 or something like that.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jazerus posted:

it was true until groogy and wiz decided to tear into the code for the final improvement patch. that led to an understanding of things such as sphering, which magically makes goods appear out of thin air. this is why sphering large parts of china blows up the economy - each sphered tag produces 50% more stuff, in total, than an unsphered tag.

sphering by the UK decimated my burgeoning industrial econony as Afghanistan, so we fell into anarchy and a war with Iran

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

Unpopular here, but thankfully what the devs will actually do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah sadly it’s probably what they are gonna do and people will be shocked when it’s a bad game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I disagree that you don’t have control. I’ve never really felt that things were out of my hands and I was just watching but I tend to play midsized countries like Persia or Mexico and not like Madagascar or something. Although I did have one game where I almost hit great power as Haiti which was pretty hands off but I was studying for exams so that’s what I wanted.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Game becomes really hands on when you just abuse the market and horde key goods and play market speculator. Advanced V2 strats: buy up a 2k stockpile of (insert valuable RGO here) and then occupy the largest sources of it (bonus if they're your direct competitors). Warning: may (will probably) completely break the economy depending on the scale, scope, timing, and frequency of application.

@Groogy can you explain how capitalist investment in foreign markets works? I know it's possible and happens, but it seems really obtuse to tell and somewhat rare overall?

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 2, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

sphering by the UK decimated my burgeoning industrial econony as Afghanistan, so we fell into anarchy and a war with Iran

the sphered country doesn't see any of the benefits from the extra magic production, only the sphere master. well, most of the time - getting sphered by a medium power rather than the UK or france is usually a more equitable relationship and you might recapture some of the bonus production via pop purchases on the internal market.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
What is the current mod of choice to run Vicky2? I remember when it was PDM but I have no idea what's happened in the intervening years.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

What is the current mod of choice to run Vicky2? I remember when it was PDM but I have no idea what's happened in the intervening years.

Historical Project Mod

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

If you just want more countries but don't want to make the economy even more complicated like PDM, New Nation Mod adds a whole bunch of events and countries everywhere and is a good compromise between an overhaul and working well

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah sadly it’s probably what they are gonna do and people will be shocked when it’s a bad game.

There is zero chance the fans of Vicky 2 will like Vicky 3 regardless of quality imo.

I wouldn't blame PDX for not making V3 because no matter what they are going to get absolutely tanked by reviews even worse than Imperator.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eh gently caress it

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that even the Paradox devs don’t understand how the Vicky 2 economic system works?

Only three people have ever understood the Vicky 2 economic system. The Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fellblade posted:

There is zero chance the fans of Vicky 2 will like Vicky 3 regardless of quality imo.

I wouldn't blame PDX for not making V3 because no matter what they are going to get absolutely tanked by reviews even worse than Imperator.

There’s also the fact that these days any decision to make a game at paradox requires at least 5 years post-release development of DLC’s. So yeah they could make Vicky 3 but if they can’t come up with an outline for 5 year plan it’s unlikely to get funded.

Edit: imperator seems to be in a vulnerable spot and I totally expect it to be dropped if the first two dlc’s fail to meet expectations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fellblade posted:

if they made a good, finished game and called it victoria 3 it would review just fine. but maybe that's not on the table

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Angry Salami posted:

Only three people have ever understood the Vicky 2 economic system. The Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it.

:golfclap:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

I think these two lines make different points. I agree that Vicky 2 fans will undoubtedly be unhappy with Vicky 3 regardless of its release quality (because people/gamers on the internet ect ect). Imperator tanked reviews because it needed another 6 months of development. I believe in Johan but as discussed in this very thread it seems he may have taken the wrong lesson from EU4 and then what he did take from it was not implemented very well in I:R. If a Vicky 3 is made well... as in, the correct lessons are taken from V2 and then the new systems are implemented well and the game is release fully baked, I think it would do fine because V2 didnt have the kind of sales the CKII, EU4, and HoI4 did, which means Paradox has a larger fanbase these days, many of whom are ravenous for new content that may well pick up V3 and like it despite the loud minorty decrying their humanity because its not V2 but with better graphics/UI/whatever else they wanted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 2, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

HOI4 had a similar problem honestly, in that HOI3 had its absolute diehard fans (for some incomprehensible reason) that trashed HOI4 for being Not The Game They Wanted.

HOI4 sold well anyway (and is also good).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Eh, I doubt V3 would hit the perfection of V2, but who cares you can always just play V2. As long as V3 has lots of QoL features and runs better than V2 i'd purchase it no matter what. I'd love a V2 remastered, but there's no way that's on the table.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Drone posted:

HOI4 had a similar problem honestly, in that HOI3 had its absolute diehard fans (for some incomprehensible reason) that trashed HOI4 for being Not The Game They Wanted.

HOI4 sold well anyway (and is also good).

Difference being most people that liked HoI3 did so in spite of its flaws, and most people that like V2 like it because of them. So that's much harder.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Zeron posted:

the perfection of V2

Did you just ignore all of the bugs I just brought up in the economy? I have more if you want. I can make all the money disappear in the world.
And if you tell me that's just the game being realistic/historical....

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Groogy posted:

Did you just ignore all of the bugs I just brought up in the economy? I have more if you want. I can make all the money disappear in the world.

It's literally a perfect game. And its bugs don't detract from that. Sorry.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah it's got plenty of flaws no denying, but it all comes together into a fantastic whole. It's more than the sum of it's parts. Also i'm very biased.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This thread has two personalities... nicest boardgamer you'll ever meet, and twisted loving simulationist.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Groogy posted:

It's cool as hell groog

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Average Bear posted:

This thread has two personalities... nicest boardgamer you'll ever meet, and twisted loving simulationist.

What's the difference?

Also V2 is very fun despite its bugs. And a hypothetical V3 would do fine if it was a well polished game.

I:R is being 'review bombed' because it's a garbage fire.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
What everybody loved about Victoria is the jank and the weirdness and the idea that the game is so Byzantine even its developers don't understand it (see the Dominions series, which gets the same effect in each release by just tweaking their ancient spaghetti codebase) but I can't help but feel that 'gently caress it up, but on purpose' is bad advice to give to Paradox

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groogy posted:

You don't understand groogs, love is about accepting flaws and finding your lover perfect for them, not in spite of them

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Tell us the one about the craftsmen again, making something form nothing but then something else was making resources disappear, or some such?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Groogy posted:

More or less. The Great Depression is inside the V2 timeline, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"The world economy collapses and every large nation turns into a blood-drenched hellscape" is relatively accurate for the early 20th century so yeah can't complain that much.