Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Because I built that last section as a shell back and forth switch so you have to jump across platforms going on and off to get to the pipe, and there's no way to stop the shell after that point.

I'd recommend putting a bomb on a timer underneath the Koopa shell area that will explode and stop it. You can have a muncher on a track delivered to the bomb where it will drop on it, forcing it to explode and free the shell.

Or more simply the shell on top of bricks and at the end of the jumping puzzle you need to use a P- switch to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

I am attempting to use what the videos and tweets posted here have said about good design level and it is tough but so rewarding.
I have been trying to make my levels as simple as possible while also having little fun things for people to do if they want a longer experience :D

I knew it was smart to bring to switch to work for my lunch break!

dang I should have brought mine too :(

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

How do you guys generally approach giving players powerups while still maintaining difficulty? A fire flower can lead to some interesting mechanics, but now you have to consider you just gave the player 2 extra hits before death.

I've seen a couple levels where it'll be something like a path that only small mario can traverse, forcing you to take hits before progressing. I don't love that though, it slows down the pace and I don't think it's fun to be faced with unavoidable damage...

Pits are an obvious solution, as they'll kill you no matter what.

I used a couple of "tricks" in a level:

Placing a conditional 2nd level powerup after checkpoint + mushroom on checkpoint means the player will get the fire flower/cape/whatever for "free" on their first play through, but will only have a mushroom for retries.
Setting up the level so that koopa shell kicks are more efficient than using fire flower. Dry bones seem good for this since a shell kills them, but a fireball doesn't.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phantasium posted:

There shouldn't be any part where you have to jump on top of a 1-tile block, so I think I'm going to take this down and change a few things. If you're talking where I think you're talking there's not even really anything past that other than the end of the level, so now I feel the need to change more than just that part.

It’s the first one where the Thwomp doesn’t hit the block, maybe you could jump without hitting the block and duck under the falling thwomp but I have to decide immediately because otherwise the thwomp behind me hits the block again.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So after my stage Dry Bone's Desert had a 6% winrate with over 100 tries, I figured something might off (it wasn't supposed to be that hard) and I gave it a new pass. The new code for it is:
5YS-J8R-20G

It's a Desert NSMBU level with an emphasis on Seesaws and (you guessed it) Dry Bones, with a good amount of secrets and bonus objectives.

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It’s the first one where the Thwomp doesn’t hit the block, maybe you could jump without hitting the block and duck under the falling thwomp but I have to decide immediately because otherwise the thwomp behind me hits the block again.

I made a point to make those on/off block platforms in that last section 5 tiles wide because, at least when I was testing it, the thwomps only activate when you're in the 2 tiles on their side, so you should be able activate the free floating thwomp and get back on the platform without activating the one behind you, and then when the one ahead of you is gone just jump lightly over the gap. I knew you could jump on that 1 tile on/off switch as a secondary thing but didn't care too much about having it as an alternate.

Typing that all out though, it sounds pretty horrible though and I know now I was just struggling to figure out how to actually end that stage so I'm still going to redo it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Visible Dog posted:

Alright, my first Mario Maker 2 stage:

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs
YYQ-D3X-HRG

A sanctuary amidst the clouds for Bob-Ombs. Enjoy some relaxing coin-o-therapy with the help of our friendly Thwomp attendants.
(And please don't mind me playing around with what the swinging claws can do.)

So this had a lot of really neat and well designed areas but my god do not put in traps that require major backtracking. The level already borders on too long without that poo poo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I know remaking 1-1 is cliche, but this is my first level and having a strong template means I have a strong jumping off point to practice level making mechanics.

However, I'm not super familiar with Mario Maker yet and it went terribly wrong and oh god why did everything turn sideways all of a sudden wait where did the ground go i'm so sorry

7 Short Films About 1-1
TWQ-4TF-QWF

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

People are really bad at Mario. People dying at easy points in my stages is partially what inspired me to make this level: 1TF-C8F-YWG.

Anyway, I played your level and it felt pretty fair. I died three times, all at the same point. There's one section where you've got two see-saw platforms with a flying big dry bones beneath them. Problem is the dry bones on the right one doesn't spawn until you've moved far enough to the right which for me was after I'd made the leap to get to that platform. The dry bones would spawn and shift the platform sending me to my doom. Then I'd forget all about it on the next attempt and do the exact same thing.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I know remaking 1-1 is cliche, but this is my first level and having a strong template means I have a strong jumping off point to practice level making mechanics.

However, I'm not super familiar with Mario Maker yet and it went terribly wrong and oh god why did everything turn sideways all of a sudden wait where did the ground go i'm so sorry

7 Short Films About 1-1
TWQ-4TF-QWF

I think it's fine as long as you subvert it in the way you did, which got to be rather clever toward the end. Last night I was playing some vs and every other level was just a straight recreation of 1-1.

acems
May 8, 2019

I reuploaded my course. I got rid of the hidden vine, but kept the angry sun. I think it flows a lot better with the fixed screen.

So here's Cannonball Hops 2.0: PF0-DFW-YYG

I couldn't upload my tweaked course without deleting the original, even when saved separately. Is there a way to avoid that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People are very bad at Mario.

My most successful level Chain Chomp Factory has a 10% clear rate and I tested it walking, most enemies are in places they can't even hit you, those that are in your way get out of your way if you wait a couple seconds. The gaps are small, and I give a free shellmet right before the boss so you can just run through to the axe if you want.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

acems posted:

I reuploaded my course. I got rid of the hidden vine, but kept the angry sun. I think it flows a lot better with the fixed screen.

So here's Cannonball Hops 2.0: PF0-DFW-YYG

I couldn't upload my tweaked course without deleting the original, even when saved separately. Is there a way to avoid that?

This plays so much better with the fixed camera.

Sadly you can't just fix a level without reuploading it like you can in something like Little Big Planet. You can't expect Nintendo to do anything online related now as well as Sony could 10 years.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

7 Short Films About 1-1
TWQ-4TF-QWF

I got a chuckle in the third part, but that's not a joke most people will get, and think just looks messy. The 30 coin up there was a nice touch. Other than that, level is fine.
If you havn't already seen it: Ceave's video Gets re-posted a lot, and for good reason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

New Game Makers Toolkit on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwj3On5o58U

acems
May 8, 2019

J-Spot posted:

This plays so much better with the fixed camera.

Sadly you can't just fix a level without reuploading it like you can in something like Little Big Planet. You can't expect Nintendo to do anything online related now as well as Sony could 10 years.

Yay :banjo:

I think I'm a really big fan of getting over gaps by jumping off a line of canon balls or bullet bills. I remember seeing something similar with the bullet bill launchers stacked in Kaizo Mario World, but it doesn't seem possible to place them such that there isn't a blank square between each bill.

Excited to screw around with some technical-but-achievable platforming oriented levels.

The uploading thing is ridiculous, though. It's frustrating that a stage with changes can't be uploaded separately.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Made a short and sweet, lightly challenging, musical, multiplayer designed autoscroller based on a scene from a different video game

Final Fantasy XV - P9V LHD 40G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

PantsBandit posted:

How do you guys generally approach giving players powerups while still maintaining difficulty? A fire flower can lead to some interesting mechanics, but now you have to consider you just gave the player 2 extra hits before death.

I've seen a couple levels where it'll be something like a path that only small mario can traverse, forcing you to take hits before progressing. I don't love that though, it slows down the pace and I don't think it's fun to be faced with unavoidable damage...

The mushroom is a good reward or freebie before enemy sections. Think of it as permission to make one mistake. The fire flower is good as permission to fight back against tough enemy set ups, which are more likely to get a hit in. Power ups are a good indication to the player and the dev that they can make things harder for a while. There's a good dojo lesson on it. You might be used to beating levels or even speed running them but a lot of casual players get excited to blast stuff with fire just for the act itself, or to fly because flying is fun and they can explore the sky box or pass hard platforming as a reward for going a long time without getting hit. I.e. get raccoon in first 1/3 of level, if you keep it to the second half you can fly over a hard platforming bit. Players enjoy getting a break, especially if they feel they earned it.

You can make rewards or alternate paths or secrets that can only be accessed by power up moves while leaving a path to the goal small Mario can take. I experimented with a level design that encourages keeping power ups:

Squeaker's Gulch
747-VQJ-HXF

After clear: Cat Mario can make the boss easier by swiping the Skipsqueak, access a shortcut, a 50 coin and a star. There's alternate ways to get them if you lose the cat power up. Everything is doable as 100% Small Mario because Skipsqueaks aren't very aggressive and Pom Pom is a pretty easy boss since you can jump on the stars. The mushrooms are given to let players make mistakes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lugaloco posted:

Celeste Tape Rooms: Side A by TaterSwift

RQ2-F47-F4G

I should not have tried this level just as I woke up. Captures the Celeste difficulty really well and made me want to tear my hair out at times because I'm bad at Mario. Beat it in the end. Fantastic level!
Thank you! And yeah I threw in some consessions there to compensate for the lack of dash mechanic and Mario's much larger cost of failure (longer respawn time, lives in Endless) but I'll need to tone down Side B a ton cuz the clear rate's all of like 4% right now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Honestly, I just let people have the extra hits. One thing I realized in MM1 is your levels are disposable. Your meticulously designed death gauntlet is just a three second hold of the select button away from being forgotten forever. I'd rather people get to experience more of the level than worry too much about whether they master it, so if someone happens to spaghetti their way into a harmless goomba I don't want to punish them too severely. Plus your levels are significantly more like to get liked if people complete the stage, so be nice to them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
A coworker of mine made a level you literally can't die in, it has no pits and no enemies. 80% clear rate.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

A coworker of mine made a level you literally can't die in, it has no pits and no enemies. 80% clear rate.

Dsath to timeout. Rip

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There was that joke Shadow the Hedgehog level from the spreadsheet that has no death states in it and I deliberately let that stage idle just to hit the timeout death a couple times just to hit the clear rate.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's possible the level was too boring so somebody skipped it, or maybe someone wanted to speedrun it and had to restart after mistiming something. Then there's always timeouts.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot and can't figure out how to make small enclosed rooms without having the camera show what's behind the walls. Please help.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

my level where you use the super mario land flower to collect coins in minigames has like an 85% clear rate because people are purposefully staying as small mario so they can jump around inside the minigames and die

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My first level, in which all of the content is optional and you can run directly to the goal (which is straight in front of you, visible from the start), has a 60% clear rate.

Slightly less than half of the people who played it don't finish it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I wish there were a way to zoom out a bit. The view feels kind of claustrophobic when editing which makes it difficult to design large levels. I might start smaller though instead of trying to make my first level the huge, nonlinear ghost ship level idea I first thought of.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

I wish there were a way to zoom out a bit.
Press the right stick in.
Edit: Apparently you can't place objects when zoomed out, but you do get to see more of the level.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 2, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Castor Poe posted:

Hi, I'm a big dumb idiot and can't figure out how to make small enclosed rooms without having the camera show what's behind the walls. Please help.

There are thick lines on the grid. These denote the size of a "full screen".

Use ground or hard blocks, to completely fill the rows/columns inside those thick lines (and along the board edges, if applicable), until the screen is fully enclosed. Basically just box in the entire screen.

Now this screen won't scroll. Put whatever you want within it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Castor Poe posted:

As I understand it, you have to completely cut off the map from top to bottom or left to right with solid blocks in order to make the screen not scroll past that point. I haven't tried it myself though so I dunno how well small enclosed spaces work for that

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tnega posted:

Press the right stick in.

Sick, thanks.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Although for some unfathomable reason the only tools you can use zoomed out are multi-grab, copy and delete.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just saw in a video someone bring up the standard comment list and press one in real time. It was multiplayer so maybe it's only in that mode but how do you do that?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

my level where you use the super mario land flower to collect coins in minigames has like an 85% clear rate because people are purposefully staying as small mario so they can jump around inside the minigames and die

lmao

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
You laugh, but as soon as someone develops a video game about jumping around, collecting coins, they're going to be famous.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys help I'm stuck at work and all I wanna do it work on my level. :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All that and more in the game's tutorial!

I've suddenly realised I want a level based on the escape scene in The Shawshank Redemption.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Kirios posted:

Guys help I'm stuck at work and all I wanna do it work on my level. :(

Two words: graph paper

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Tnega posted:

You laugh, but as soon as someone develops a video game about jumping around, collecting coins, they're going to be famous.

I was mostly struck by the image of someone crawling into one of those claw games or something in an effort to get the prize.

Hold up, could you make a claw game in this?? Would the claw latch onto a powerup passing near it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NofrikinfuN posted:

I was mostly struck by the image of someone crawling into one of those claw games or something in an effort to get the prize.

Hold up, could you make a claw game in this?? Would the claw latch onto a powerup passing near it?

Claws latch onto many (most?) objects and even drop them if mario is below.