Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I loving hate modern again, but that guy in particular.

I guess I should be more clear that it is him, personally, and his "edgy" content that irks me to no end.

Combine that with his vocal group of fans and I get a little titled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I loving hate modern again, but that guy in particular.

I'm actually looking at my 2 decks (land destruction and Jund) and trying to gauge how much effort it will be to keep them viable, and part of me is hoping that effort level is high enough for me to give up so I can finally break this vicious cycle.

Same for Legacy, I have no idea where Death & Taxes stands anymore.

Just turn Jund into Rock. Similarly, you can try out the Crashing Footfalls/Dreadhorde Arcanist brew.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ShaneB posted:

I guess I should be more clear that it is him, personally, and his "edgy" content that irks me to no end.

Yeah, he sucks rear end.

Unrelated: aria of flame is good, sometimes. Being able to mostly ignore grave hate with Phoenix now is wild. Drake/aria/thing/Saheeli is a good threat package to board into. Also magmatic sinkhole rules against narset and lil tef, and lava dart has made the humans matchup better again unless they are the smart ones with chalice coming in from the side.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time posted:

Yeah, he sucks rear end.

Unrelated: aria of flame is good, sometimes. Being able to mostly ignore grave hate with Phoenix now is wild. Drake/aria/thing/Saheeli is a good threat package to board into. Also magmatic sinkhole rules against narset and lil tef, and lava dart has made the humans matchup better again unless they are the smart ones with chalice coming in from the side.

Mono-R or Izzet? Mono-R is doing quite well lately.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ShaneB posted:

Played a league with both and went 4-1 with izzet and 3-2 with mono red. I ran into loving martyr proc with mono red and let me tell you, that’s maybe the worst matchup in existence. U/W feels awful for both, with izzet having better game now because of the varied threats and being way less soft to path/rip/surgical. Also fizzling a ruin activation with lava dart is big game and won me a game I should have lost. I don’t think that line will be available for long as uw players adapt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

according to u/r players i've talked to, aria is an analogue to pyromancer ascension (since both give you late game inevitability) except it works through graveyard hate.

i don't think mono red can play it, you can't cantrip half as well and if they have graveyard hate you just want to be a burn deck

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ShaneB posted:

I really dislike his "humor", but I like his decks and that I can watch a few quick matches with those decks. If there is anyone else who does new Modern decks on YouTube in condensed edited videos, please let me know.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

He is good because he is the only person left on Youtube who can do a 15 minute video instead of a 90 minute slog.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

He is good because he is the only person left on Youtube who can do a 15 minute video instead of a 90 minute slog.

He has a blow up doll wearing Liliana clothing as his avatar and talks about incest dungeons. He's one step removed from the CHUD YouTube guy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Magic Aids is Cool and Good and one of the best deck brewers on the planet

ps he's the guy who made the original 5C Humans deck

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Silhouette posted:

Magic Aids is Cool and Good and one of the best deck brewers on the planet

ps he's the guy who made the original 5C Humans deck

I see you also noticed literally every time he is mentioned it is in this format: "magic Aids, creator of 5C humans,"

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
his loving name is magic aids? -sighs-

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I started building tron as it looks really fun. I have most of the cards bought, but I’m not sure on an exact decklist that features new Karn, Liberated, and Lattice. The last time I played Modern was with Affinity in 2013. Are there any good lists/videos out there right now?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AkumaHokoru posted:

his loving name is magic aids? -sighs-

I remember his rant video when his username was banned from MTGO. Because, you know..."aids". The whole situation sounded like something directly pulled from the South Park/Jared/AIDS joke. The guy is a douche.

PleasantKenobi makes shorter videos if you want quick consumption. And the Playing with Power guys do some decent hyper edited cEDH videos.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 22, 2019

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Valicious posted:

I started building tron as it looks really fun. I have most of the cards bought, but I’m not sure on an exact decklist that features new Karn, Liberated, and Lattice. The last time I played Modern was with Affinity in 2013. Are there any good lists/videos out there right now?

it is immoral to assist anyone in putting urza's tower, urza's mine, or urza's power plant into play

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Valicious posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe tron as "fun" including the people I've known who actually played it

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Blue tron is fun a heck though, try that if you want to love magic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Network42 posted:

Blue tron is fun a heck though, try that if you want to lose magic.

FTFY

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
On an unrelated note, can someone explain or link a stream or something to see how these new builds of vintage dredge work? An example list here.

I feel like without narcomoebas you have to take at least an extra turn to start getting things turned on, I feel like I am missing something, please send help.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Network42 posted:

On an unrelated note, can someone explain or link a stream or something to see how these new builds of vintage dredge work? An example list here.

I feel like without narcomoebas you have to take at least an extra turn to start getting things turned on, I feel like I am missing something, please send help.

you're not wrong, it's a slower build and it's banking on opponents not being on a combo deck (or they are but can't win fast enough through a force of vigor). probably a correct meta read since there's no storm decks showing up in that tournament. also hogaak seems good at getting that turn back

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm watching someone play lands in legacy and holy moly does it look fun. Shame the decks are insanely expensive.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm watching someone play lands in legacy and holy moly does it look fun. Shame the decks are insanely expensive.

Legacy looks extremely fun in general, and completely unattainable due to the cost

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Network42 posted:

Blue tron is fun a heck though, try that if you want to love magic.

I played Blue Tron a lot in paper and on MTGO for quite a while but stopped playing it because the matches took too long. It is actually a very fun deck! There are two people the regularly put out videos of them playing Blue Tron in MTGO leagues. As far as I know, there is no such thing for Green Tron.

Green Tron can be fun, but you need to keep in mind it plays out very linear a lot of the time. You have to think it's fun deciding whether or not to mull to 4 because your 5-card hand is just too slow to realistically do much. A lot of your wins are going to just feel free: You have tron on turn 3, you slam Karn and exile a land, they concede. Especially once sideboarding happens, it's much more common for the games to get more interesting, and you're more likely to win matches by hard-casting Wurmcoil or playing O Stone on turn 4, then cracking on turn 5 and barely stabilizing with like 4 life left.

Even after sideboarding, you usually bring in Nature's Claim, so even if they side in hate cards like Damping Sphere, you're more likely to just be able to pop them at instant speed on their end step, go into your turn with 8 mana, slam down Ugin and exile their creatures.

It's worth remembering that most of the good decks in modern have pretty bullshit, totally non-interactive ways of winning on turn 2-3. Tron having this possibility makes it one of the better decks that stays in the metagame consistently. Currently in Modernk, Hogaak is getting consistent turn-2 wins, and Devoted Druid + Vizier is also getting turn-2 wins. People love to poo poo talk decks they hate losing to and say that they aren't fun, but if you think Tron is fun, then play it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nothing good in modern is fun and nothing fun in modern is good, hth.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

Nothing good in modern is fun and nothing fun in modern is good, hth.

Phoenix is fun :colbert:

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Nothing good in modern is fun to play against, but there's a lot of variation in how fun the good decks are to play. Do a few proxy matches or at least goldfish a deck before you buy it.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
MonoU tron looks fun and interesting, but games would take too long. I can’t use my hands, so I have a friend helping me. Games take longer as is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lava Spike is a fun card, ergo there exists a fun deck in Modern :colbert:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

is grixis death shadow the good guy now

i've been playing that deck and it's a great deal of fun. there sure are a lot of modern players that are perplexed when you interact with them at all

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

is grixis death shadow the good guy now

i've been playing that deck and it's a great deal of fun. there sure are a lot of modern players that are perplexed when you interact with them at all

Shadow is fair and decent still. Though lately I've seen esper shadow popping up on 5-0 lists, which seems even more fun.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I do not like the esper version. I don't think it's not good or anything but the play patterns are very strange to me without street wraiths and with, realistically, only four threats. I like that grixis can turn the corner a lot more quickly, or punish a stumble much more brutally.

in the last modern challenge there's an esper mentor deck that I think fits into that slot nicely, but I also have an unhealthy obsession with Unearth'ing Monastery Mentor.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Just finished buying all the cards for my Modern Tron deck!
Now to wait on the mail...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Valicious posted:

here's where I am in life right now, but I am too cheap to buy OG Karns and Ugins.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What happened to neoform/allosaurus rider? Too fragile and pushed out by hogaak or waiting for the London mulligan?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

What happened to neoform/allosaurus rider? Too fragile and pushed out by hogaak or waiting for the London mulligan?

Latter

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ilmucche posted:

The deck has possibly the best Hogaak matchup of every modern deck out there right now. It just does not care about what Hogaak is doing because either it has a t1/t2 or it has bricked hard and would lose to anyone. Just a bit too inconsistent without London.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Blatantly stolen from suicidesteve in the discord but I feel you all should see this deck

https://twitter.com/itsJulian23/status/1146815335041048578?s=19

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm the 23 spell Delver deck splashing Angler and no other black cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Flashback on Souls too but yeah some of these colors are clearly for the gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Blatantly stolen from suicidesteve in the discord but I feel you all should see this deck

https://twitter.com/itsJulian23/status/1146815335041048578?s=19