Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Speaking of Stormblood, my wife is stuck on the Lakshmi solo fight and she just can't seem to figure out how to kill all the stupid tempering balls. I've tried to get her past that into the actual fight part but she mains Bard and I haven't even touched it yet so I don't know what any of her buttons do (and the one time she made it to the fight herself she lost to the tempering balls during the fight part). Short of just buying the Stormblood MSQ skip, does anyone have any advice for her other beyond "git gud"?

I can't actually remember that trial very well, but as with most trials, if 'git gud' isn't an option, getting gear is. Just grab a few 390 poetics upgrades and just ilvl through the encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Is the maintenance over yet, cause I'm starting to get the shakes and cold sweats.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unless someone has run the numbers and figured out the exact optimal XP/hour from every activity, I'm going to submit that sidequests are fine XP for the time investment. Keep in mind that they don't require waiting in a queue and aren't subject to the whims of the RNG like FATEs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is the maintenance over yet, cause I'm starting to get the shakes and cold sweats.

It's been over for almost 12 hours :shrug:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can't actually remember that trial very well, but as with most trials, if 'git gud' isn't an option, getting gear is. Just grab a few 390 poetics upgrades and just ilvl through the encounter.

Gear somewhat helps in that fight but really it's about nailing mechanics. It has a lot of pass/fail.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Speaking of Stormblood, my wife is stuck on the Lakshmi solo fight and she just can't seem to figure out how to kill all the stupid tempering balls. I've tried to get her past that into the actual fight part but she mains Bard and I haven't even touched it yet so I don't know what any of her buttons do (and the one time she made it to the fight herself she lost to the tempering balls during the fight part). Short of just buying the Stormblood MSQ skip, does anyone have any advice for her other beyond "git gud"?

TBH what I remember is :gitgud: but a YouTube clip might help. Should be able to find it by searching for the quest name.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It was only a quick maintenance. Come get your fix.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

You can trigger multiple balls if you position yourself right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

The Shadowbringers story is exactly why I could never race change or story skip or any of that. It just feels so wonderfully personal when it's the same character I've had since the beginning of ARR, in a way it could never be otherwise. It's really been immersive in the sense that it's drawing me in and making me feel like the things my character did matter to the world.

I can't ever change because the hyur starting outfit skirt is too important in some of my favorite glamours.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's been over for almost 12 hours :shrug:

what.
I went into the mogstation earlier, and was told it was down for maintenance. If the game were down last night, I never saw it as I was online through that entire 3 hour window

Also still cannot redeem the friggin pre-order code

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I’ve been been doing every sidequest as I go and I think it’s important that people know that there are a lot of cool little stories behind them and they’re worth doing for those cool little stories.

Also important is that the Rak’tika BGM is amazing (but Ahm Areng still holds the key to my heart in this category).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Magil Zeal posted:

The Shadowbringers story is exactly why I could never race change or story skip or any of that. It just feels so wonderfully personal when it's the same character I've had since the beginning of ARR, in a way it could never be otherwise. It's really been immersive in the sense that it's drawing me in and making me feel like the things my character did matter to the world.

I feel very much the same thing. The most I've ever done is give my character a new haircut.

There's an absolutely brilliant moment in the cutscene leading up to the final level 80 dungeon, where you have a dialogue option to cheer up a wavering Rhys by telling her "A smile better suits a hero" and I felt that dialogue option in my very soul.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I like the Roegadame. Catgirls are a dime a dozen.

I figured that would be the response, haha. There's a calamity salvager-type NPC who will let me trade male only clothes for female only clothes, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Chakan posted:

I figured that would be the response, haha. There's a calamity salvager-type NPC who will let me trade male only clothes for female only clothes, right?

You can buy your respective race and gender default clothing from a vendor in the main cities, I think they hang out by the big Aetherite crystal.

As far as all the swimsuit glamours and oddball stuff like that? I don't think there is.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Anyone else getting Berserk vibes from this expansion?

1. DRK get dragonslayer as thier AF4 weapon.
2. Mozgus and his followers turning into deformed angel beings
3. We have a Fae following us around and visit the Fairy Kingdom

I'm sure there more but I'm just about halfway through the expansion.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Clan Nutsy ftw

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Chakan posted:

I think I stumbled into one in front of the BLM area in Ul'Dah?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a gender restricted equipment swap NPC. I don't know if it's the Calamity Salvager or the guy beside him, but one of them does it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

what.
I went into the mogstation earlier, and was told it was down for maintenance. If the game were down last night, I never saw it as I was online through that entire 3 hour window

Mogstation itself was down for maintenance for a bit, maybe that's what you saw.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Just hit Level 76. I wasn't expecting Shadowbringers to have the Temple of Doom, complete with giant boulder. Also, the "How old are you?" scene from XII. :allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of mistaking maintenance windows: I woke up yesterday and saw the notification for the maintenance, thinking "oh poo poo I only have 3 hours to finish the MSQ" only to realize 2 and half hours later "wait did that say AM or PM?"

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

what.

Are you putting it into the same place you put in the early access code? If so, its not there, its the big red button at the top that says "redeem expansion code" or something along those lines. It sounds like i'm stating the obvious but it took me until today to notice it so I'm bringing it up anyways.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kaubocks posted:

i'm up to the level 75 part of the MSQ but i'm only level 74. having done nothing but MSQ, aether current quests, and any FATEs along the way (no roulettes or sidequests), i've been level locked a couple times now.

kind of annoying but it's nothing another run of the previous dungeon doesn't seem to fix

I’ve hit a level wall before every major story point (dungeon/trial) basically, but I’ve never been more than half a level off. Nothing an LDR and a few more side quests didn’t take care of. I generally just try to pick up 4-5 when working on the msq in a given area, it’s enough to group the efforts but not too much to feel like I’m delaying the story much. I’m at the 77 wall now, but I’m like 70% of the way there. I also use them as a chance to go clean up my inventory and send my retainers off.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zoig posted:

Are you putting it into the same place you put in the early access code? If so, its not there, its the big red button at the top that says "redeem expansion code" or something along those lines. It sounds like i'm stating the obvious but it took me until today to notice it so I'm bringing it up anyways.

The instructions I first found told me to enter it into the early access code box.
Didn't work.

The next set I found mentioned the giant red button, which only just became available to me.
Didn't work.

Gonna assume that mog station maintenance later today is set to address that.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
dancer at 80 has heavensward machinist levels of john madden, sheesh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thumbtacks posted:

dancer at 80 has heavensward machinist levels of john madden, sheesh

Are they constantly explaining the extreme basic goals of the game i.e. "they've gotta get the ball in the end zone"?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The instructions I first found told me to enter it into the early access code box.
Didn't work.

The next set I found mentioned the giant red button, which only just became available to me.
Didn't work.

Gonna assume that mog station maintenance later today is set to address that.

Enter the code here https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com/na

Then THAT will give you the actual pre-order code you enter on the Mogstation. Unless you already did that, in which case, yea, the maintenance might be for that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Newbie question: when there's a queue for my chosen world, can I just wait or do I really need to keep cancelling and trying again?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's a line to get in, all leaving and coming back does is put you back at the end of the line.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Schubalts posted:

It's a line to get in, all leaving and coming back does is put you back at the end of the line.

... Which was super unclear because I didn't realize this for at least a year. Especially considering you can cancel and get in faster than waiting if it's a small number.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shellman posted:

... Which was super unclear because I didn't realize this for at least a year. Especially considering you can cancel and get in faster than waiting if it's a small number.

Yeah... Waiting for several minutes did nothing to reduce the number, but cancelling and popping back in has always worked. That's why I asked, seems a bit counterintuitive.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The number doesn't update fast enough, if at all, for some reason.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
What beginner jobs does everyone recommend? When I played in Heavensward I got my SCH to 50ish, but now that Shadowbringers is out my wife has decided to play as well (Finally got her preorder key yesterday for the exp earring) . We both made brand new characters on Zalera since it was open and she was too impatient to wait. At the moment my wife is leaning towards Black Mage and I have my heart set on either healing again or swapping to Gunbreaker when I finally unlock it. or even playing a fill roll, while I hated tanking in WoW I do not mind it in FFXIV

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how long it takes to level 1-80 on a brand new character?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just coming back after a while, are there any updated class guides for rotations and things like that? My class seems to have lost some abilities it had the last time I played and I'd like to check out some new optimal rotations so I don't have to re-learn everything

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ouhei posted:

I’ve hit a level wall before every major story point (dungeon/trial) basically, but I’ve never been more than half a level off. Nothing an LDR and a few more side quests didn’t take care of. I generally just try to pick up 4-5 when working on the msq in a given area, it’s enough to group the efforts but not too much to feel like I’m delaying the story much. I’m at the 77 wall now, but I’m like 70% of the way there. I also use them as a chance to go clean up my inventory and send my retainers off.

Doing 6 FATEs per zone is also worth it to unlock the riding maps from the gem vendors, at least if you haven't learned to fly in the zone yet since it also makes doing the main quest easier. You end up with a decent chunk of experience from it too.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

doomisland posted:

Clan Nutsy ftw

THAT'S A LOTTA NUTS!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Doing 6 FATEs per zone is also worth it to unlock the riding maps from the gem vendors, at least if you haven't learned to fly in the zone yet since it also makes doing the main quest easier. You end up with a decent chunk of experience from it too.

Note that if you have the motorcycle mount it automatically has increased movement speed.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
How difficult are the new extreme trials?

I have only rarely done extreme and savage content and that was during Heavensward.
I completely ignored them during Stormblood, but usually the first ones are not that hard, so i thought about jumping in now.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Nessus posted:

I'm also in for goons on Crystal, I moved to Malboro to dodge some heat and accept Square's bribes.

Huh yeah actually this is where a bunch of my former Excalibur friends ended up if there's a crystal linkshell or a Marlboro fc, once transfers open up again, I'm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Note that if you have the motorcycle mount it automatically has increased movement speed.

getting a lot of use out of my motorcycle this expac