Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So Google knows I love Doctor Who so it keeps spitting Youtube videos at me with titles like "How to ruin a franchise" and "Doctor who's worst season" with a thumbnail of Jodie and I'm just so exhausted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look at that loving sweater :hellyeah:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

EDIT: Eh, never mind.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2019

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

She may be from the wrong end of Huddersfield, but Jodie's right. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TinTower posted:

She may be from the wrong end of Huddersfield, but Jodie's right. :colbert:

Don’t you mean Judy?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And Jodie's meeting the Judoon...

Will it be as bad as a Judoon platoon upon the moon?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vinylshadow posted:

And Jodie's meeting the Judoon...

Will it be as bad as a Judoon platoon upon the moon?

Too soon!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

God, I'd love another Five Doctors story with the NuWho Doctors

Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, & Eight

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Vinylshadow posted:

God, I'd love another Five Doctors story with the NuWho Doctors

Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, & Eight

That would be great. The 50th anniversary was fun as hell. You excluding Christopher Eccleston made me look him up and apparently I missed the news from a few years ago as to why he didn't come back. I'm kinda in the guy's court. He got hosed over it sounds like. Even though I bet he was hard to work with as well. Bummer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Croatoan posted:

That would be great. The 50th anniversary was fun as hell. You excluding Christopher Eccleston made me look him up and apparently I missed the news from a few years ago as to why he didn't come back. I'm kinda in the guy's court. He got hosed over it sounds like. Even though I bet he was hard to work with as well. Bummer.

I read he would've come back for the 50th, but he wanted one of the directors from his era to do it (Joe Ahearne, I think), but I think the wheels were already too far in motion to change.

The funniest thing about the 50th is that since it was produced outside the regular series, Moffat wasn't sure that Matt Smith was going to sign on for it. He said for a while, only Jenna Coleman had signed on, and he was going to have to write a anniversary story without a Doctor in it.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A 9 + 13 multidoc story would be brilliant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

A 9 + 13 multidoc story would be brilliant.

"THE ACCENT STUCK!?! :haw:"
"Well no... but we got back to the right place eventually :smug:"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was perusing Big Finish for an upcoming road trip and saw this title--not out yet, but it'll be a helluva multidoc story when it hits:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-daughter-of-the-gods-2061

1 and 2, voiced by the bar none best ringers (Peter Purves and Frazer Hines)! Also Katrina, who always deserves more. :dance:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Astroman posted:

I was perusing Big Finish for an upcoming road trip and saw this title--not out yet, but it'll be a helluva multidoc story when it hits:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-daughter-of-the-gods-2061

1 and 2, voiced by the bar none best ringers (Peter Purves and Frazer Hines)! Also Katrina, who always deserves more. :dance:

I really should get into Big Finish, but that requires me to get into Classic Who, which seems to be super hard to find.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stratofarius posted:

I really should get into Big Finish, but that requires me to get into Classic Who, which seems to be super hard to find.

It's really not, but probably against the rules for me to say which less-popular-than-youtube French video site I've been re-watching the whole thing on recently. Or the DVDs can be ordered wherever DVDs are sold.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
And there's also BritBox, if you're North American.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

"THE ACCENT STUCK!?! :haw:"
"Well no... but we got back to the right place eventually :smug:"
Stop typing things that make me disappointed when they don't happen! :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

stratofarius posted:

I had only watched maybe 1 episode of classic Who before getting into Big Finish.As long as you have a rough idea (like, read the tardis.wikia entries) of Doctor and companion personalities, you're good.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

stratofarius posted:

Just get into Eight's run, he doesn't have any classic episodes to have to watch! You don't have to watch his movie either (although it is fun in an extremely stupid way, which I now realise as I type it is a redundant thing to say about doctor who).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, realistically, how long do you lot see Chibnall sticking around? I honestly can't see him staying on for longer than Jodie's run (which is probably going to be the now standard 3 seasons and done).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So, realistically, how long do you lot see Chibnall sticking around? I honestly can't see him staying on for longer than Jodie's run (which is probably going to be the now standard 3 seasons and done).

I think he'll stick around till 2026.... so yeah, 3 seasons and done! :haw:

:negative:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

stratofarius posted:

For the most part, BF is pretty good about being able to jump in their stories with the barest knowledge of Classic Who. They tend to briefly explain continuity stuff in very basic detail, or obliquely hint at future events, but for the most part, they can be listened to with the "Doctor travels with some people and defeats the badmens" attitude.

The_Doctor posted:

I could maybe see Whittaker sticking around longer. I don't know with Chibnall. The direction he's taken the series after Moffat is the right one, but I don't think that he's a good fit for it, if that makes sense. Like, he's trying pretty daring stuff, and allowing the show to cover topics that in the current climate, really need to be emphasised, as scifi does and should do...but the actual execution is so scattershot and aimless for the most part, with his personal writing style being one of big problems.

Who knows *taps nose*, we'll see how series 12 goes, and if its got more of the same problems as 11.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't see Chibnall having a short tenure, but not necessarily because he'd want to be holding onto the job. Rather, I see something like a more positive version of the JNT situation; not 'we'll cancel the show if you leave', but 'you're good enough to stay on until someone else turns up', and Chibnall seems like he'd generally be pretty okay with a pretty long tenure of 'pretty good' caliber until someone does. Certainly it seems like his style of doing the show could have a long life, because he seems disinclined to do the big season-long arcs that Davies couldn't sustain the escalation of and Moffat couldn't save from his own habits.

Part of this comes from the fact that I don't know who'd replace him, though. Moffat was really quickly the obvious successor for Davies, and Chibnall wasn't the only pick to follow Moffat but he was a natural one. I just don't have an answer for who the showrunner after him could be, and so my natural answer is 'why do we even have to consider this now'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe Toby Whithouse?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe Toby Whithouse?

He's kind of been my pick for showrunner for a while now, even after the mess that was the finale of the Monks trilogy (and I'm mostly convinced he got a call ten minutes before the episode filmed from a very drunk Stephen Moffat saying WE NEED A SCRIPT RIGHT NOW).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Toby Whithouse was my pick for a long time because I loved Being Human and I like most of his DW episodes, but now that I think about it I'm not sure he knows how to write a show without it turning extremely depressing in the long run. Like he doesn't seem to know how to write out characters without killing them off in the most depressing ways possible, which is a bit of a worry for a show with high cast turnover and a mostly light tone!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cleretic posted:

‘why do we even have to consider this now'.

Because the last time Doctor Who took more than a full year off, it was the wilderness years!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t know if it’s just a glitch, but the Season 10 Jon Pertwee Blu-ray set that comes out in a few days is listed as completely unavailable on Amazon UK. Like, you can’t even preorder it. :confused:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The US doesn't even get it until Oct (which is weird, since the others were pretty much the same day release, give or take a day or two)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I don't remember if anyone posted this yet.

Doctor Who could air an extra episode before the new series

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

stratofarius posted:

if you wanna watch classic who legally you can subscribe to britbox and like 95% of it is on there i guess

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/willbrooks1989/status/1146344391893749765

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Just got up to The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood in a New Who rewatch. I'd have forgiven all its problems if only they'd pulled a Weekend at Bernie's with the dead Silurian.

Jesus, Aliens of London was the first episode of New Who they filmed? How the hell did Eccleston not walk out straight away?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Voting Floater posted:

Just got up to The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood in a New Who rewatch. I'd have forgiven all its problems if only they'd pulled a Weekend at Bernie's with the dead Silurian.

Jesus, Aliens of London was the first episode of New Who they filmed? How the hell did Eccleston not walk out straight away?

he’s a consummate professional

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Cerv posted:

he’s a consummate professional

That's the episode that made him change his mind. One look at the farting aliens and he was asking to be let out of his contract.

Also, thanks for the BritBox recommendation, everyone.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank you Jesus please God give me new Doctor Who....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I thought the holiday special was confirmed anyway?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

stratofarius posted:

That's the episode that made him change his mind. One look at the farting aliens and he was asking to be let out of his contract.

I thought the bit that made him want to leave was one of the stunts in Rose, where he decided the director was an arse based on how he treated the cast and crew and wanted no more part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Fil5000 posted:

I thought the bit that made him want to leave was one of the stunts in Rose, where he decided the director was an arse based on how he treated the cast and crew and wanted no more part of it.

I think so, yeah, I was only making a joke.