Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Agree with the weasel.

I generally just don’t touch people at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ActusRhesus posted:

Agree. Not a day goes by, patty lupone’s key, is one of my solo concert go-to’s.

It also has the best overture of any Sondheim. I know that's a big call, but I'm prepared to make it. Bobby and Jackie and Jack is fun too.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Whitlam posted:

It also has the best overture of any Sondheim. I know that's a big call, but I'm prepared to make it. Bobby and Jackie and Jack is fun too.

Maybe... but Sweeney has best chorus use. Beggar Woman is so on my bucket list.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Agree with the weasel.

I generally just don’t touch people at all

This.

Also COPS is the best guilty pleasure.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

Good god, man... aren’t you a PD?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

nm posted:

This.

Legal related guilty pleasure, or general? Because if general I'm gonna have to go with Keeping up with the Kardashians.

I'll take my award for worst opinion ITT via express post, TIA.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Good god, man... aren’t you a PD?

Was, but yeah. Toukalou (I can't spell that poo poo) is also and I think it is almost universal among PDs.
We just sit there and yell at the screen as they consent to searches, etc. It is cathartic.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Some of the worst lawyers to the newer women at my firm always have been the older women, who largely take a pull-the-ladder-up kind of approach given what they had to do to make partner 30 years ago (which probably sucked). The ancient old guys who had no female law school classmates aren't winners either, but by all accounts the relationship among the women is contentious as hell.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mildly related. What are your thoughts on Harris’s candidacy?

Her AG record is loving terrifying and part of why I have to spend so much time reassuring people that we’re not all like that.

Literally every “don’t do things like x” example at our annual ethics training is a California horror story.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

This.

Best sitcom on TV.

I love how they audibly bleep out profanity from citizens, but when cops are obviously cursing they simply mute those.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ActusRhesus posted:

Her AG record is loving terrifying and part of why I have to spend so much time reassuring people that we’re not all like that.

Literally every “don’t do things like x” example at our annual ethics training is a California horror story.

This is the worst thing about her and it actually helps her in the general. "Independent" white folks don't seem to mind prosecutorial misconduct if it's not aimed at them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

hugging is basically never appropriate in a work context, don't even imply that you're unsure if a female lawyer should get a handshake or a hug, she should get a handshake

That mainly applies to clients. My clients all try to hug me. It's weird.

I'd never ask opposing counsel for a hug. They've asked me for one. It's a little strange.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hugging your clients is weird.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Sorry that’s your experience with women in the field, Fish.

I find we break into a few solid archetypes, and catty bitch is definitely one of them. But I find the more competent ones are considerably less catty.

But then according to psycho OC, my ridiculous tactics (actually making people follow the practice book) and bullying (still not sure what he’s talking about here) are “well known among the bar.” So idk.

I wanted to respond with “not as well known as your track record of hiring moronic young blond associates from third tier law schools and setting their pay based on which sex acts they’ll perform.” But I’m taking the high ground. For now.

ETA: Throatwarbler.... I think I found a mentor for you. Pretty sure he’s not Jewish, though. Will that be an issue?

Well, it's entirely subjective and I'm always open to admit I'm dead wrong. That said, I think age as previously mentioned is a big factor as rough treatment of trailblazing women understandably might lead to rough edges.

Those my own age treat people and clients a lot nicer, again subjectively. At the same time it's also important to note that women have every bit as much right to be an rear end in a top hat attorney as men do, and male lawyers - and I can not stress this enough - are no better. In any way. I have no preference and my general impression is of a pretty equal playing field all things considered. Now, if the law field could be less lovely to particularly women in law firms with terrible cultures, I think that would be super.

I'm sorry if I came off overly critical of women lawyers. They are no worse than men as far as I've experienced in any way I can tell.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I'll only vote for Harris if she's in the general v. Trump.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

No worries.

Unhip as it is to admit, men and women are different. So the way in which garbage men and garbage women will display their lovely personalities will be different. Women were often denied the opportunity to be abrasive assholes, so they learned catty manipulation when the end goal was to be a shitlord.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

No worries.

Unhip as it is to admit, men and women are different.

Uh Oh, someone's going to

blarzgh posted:

either gender

AH gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's a tanglethorn bag and how does it hurt a dragon

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

way to be non-inclusive, blarzgh.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

What's a tanglethorn bag and how does it hurt a dragon

A tanglethorn bag is a ridiculously inexpensive piece of adventuring gear. You throw it. It explodes in a pile of sticky.

We had a dragon flying overhead making life difficult. Only one ranged attack in the party. Not enough to be of use. So we threw bag at it. Its wings got covered in sticky poo poo. It fell to the ground. We turned it into a pincushion.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Care to expand on this?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

Care to expand on this?

Mainly this: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/scott-dekraai-case_n_6911258

She ignored or endorsed a lot of lovely and objectively unethical conduct.

Edit: A decent summary, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/kamala-harris-criminal-justice.html

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 2, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Care to expand on this?

Advocating incarceration for parents of truants (mostly low income persons of color); defending really egregious prosecutorial misconduct like affirmatively lying to defense counsel about a client’s confession; ignoring corruption in state crime labs, etc.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Don't know who this lady is, don't care about politics, but are we really judging an attorney for the decision to advocate on behalf of someone/something?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Don't know who this lady is, don't care about politics, but are we really judging an attorney for the decision to advocate on behalf of someone/something?

A prosecutor has ethical obligations not shared by other attorneys, as well as considerable personal prosecutorial discretion that they can fairly be judged based on how they exercised it. Judging a prosecutor for their actions is not the same as, say, judging a public defender for defending someone who committed a reprehensible crime.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Yes? As AG she was in a position to set policy. Setting a policy that you can go to jail if your kid is truant is bad policy.

And defending prosecutorial misconduct is a non starter for me. I don’t like that things like “said the word victim in closing argument” is called “misconduct”. But the poo poo going on in CA was objectively hosed up.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

I'm not saying I won't vote for her, even in the primary. I'm just aware of her weakness. And also

evilweasel posted:

A prosecutor has ethical obligations not shared by other attorneys, as well as considerable personal prosecutorial discretion that they can fairly be judged based on how they exercised it. Judging a prosecutor for their actions is not the same as, say, judging a public defender for defending someone who committed a reprehensible crime.

I'm also going to judge the poo poo out of the DOJ kids don't need soap or toothbrushes lawyer. I also judge the affluenza defense lawyer. There are limits and for me it's bad faith.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

A tanglethorn bag is a ridiculously inexpensive piece of adventuring gear. You throw it. It explodes in a pile of sticky.

We had a dragon flying overhead making life difficult. Only one ranged attack in the party. Not enough to be of use. So we threw bag at it. Its wings got covered in sticky poo poo. It fell to the ground. We turned it into a pincushion.

How many saving throws did the dragon fail for that to ever be effective?

(Asks the guy who lost a dragon his first time DMing because he forgot to roll saving throws for the dragon)

P.S. it's hard for someone who takes pictures of bugs, spiders and fungi to be out-nerded, but it's happened multiple times in the last few pages.

blarzgh posted:

She was The elected AG. Those were her orders she was following.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 2, 2019

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Whitlam posted:

Keeping up with the Kardashians.

I'll take my award for worst opinion ITT via express post, TIA.

Isn't that a law show now?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Taking pictures of fungi just makes you a fun guy.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes? As AG she was in a position to set policy. Setting a policy that you can go to jail if your kid is truant is bad policy.

And defending prosecutorial misconduct is a non starter for me. I don’t like that things like “said the word victim in closing argument” is called “misconduct”. But the poo poo going on in CA was objectively hosed up.

Wait is that a thing? I use the word victim all the time in closing. We have a prohibition on judges using anything other than alleged victim, but the whole point of closing is argument as to why they are a victim.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm also going to judge the poo poo out of the DOJ kids don't need soap or toothbrushes lawyer. I also judge the affluenza defense lawyer. There are limits and for me it's bad faith.

Same. I'm all for neutral advocacy and not being identified with a client's position but that poo poo runs both ways. In criminal defence, I say you get a pass pretty much every time but if you're arguing that kind of poo poo on behalf of a powerful government or private entity you loving deserve being hated. For myself, I actually took an oath against unjust causes and you know what I'm gonna stick to that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

BigHead posted:

Wait is that a thing? I use the word victim all the time in closing. We have a prohibition on judges using anything other than alleged victim, but the whole point of closing is argument as to why they are a victim.

Yeah. In this state we are not allowed to say “victim”. Which is loving stupid.

And why I get stabby when articles talk about the “high numbers of prosecutorial misconduct cases”. When really they’re all either “said something they weren’t supposed to in an unscripted closing” or “didn’t turn over something they didn’t know existed.” I have zero tolerance for real misconduct. But...let’s not water down the definition.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

She was The elected AG. Those were her orders she was following.

This makes a difference to me. If she's the one who was making/oversaw/approved of people in her office doing those things, that's wrong. Just ordering/filing the appeal of a decision is not, IMO.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

but if you're arguing that kind of poo poo on behalf of a powerful government or private entity you loving deserve being hated.

Nah. Advocacy and Judgment must be separated, whatever the cause.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

There’s also room to judge the way the argument is made.

“Yes this was inappropriate and it’s being handled. But under the facts of the case it’s harmless error so don’t deny the victims justice by reversing the conviction.”

Vs

“There was no misconduct. This is totally fine to do.”

I’ve absolutely argued and won cases in which I conceded error and focused on the harmlessness analysis. It’s called maintaining your credibility.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

That doesn't sound right at all and sounds like bad DMing that wasn't adversarial enough ! Also I can't find this item on Google which is weird

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 2, 2019

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

nm posted:

Was, but yeah. Toukalou (I can't spell that poo poo) is also and I think it is almost universal among PDs.
We just sit there and yell at the screen as they consent to searches, etc. It is cathartic.

Lol yeah, it's like yelling at the dummies in a horror movie. "What are you doing!!?? Nooo!!! Stop talking!" Same feeling I get when I read discovery.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

There’s also room to judge the way the argument is made.

“Yes this was inappropriate and it’s being handled. But under the facts of the case it’s harmless error so don’t deny the victims justice by reversing the conviction.”

Vs

“There was no misconduct. This is totally fine to do.”

I’ve absolutely argued and won cases in which I conceded error and focused on the harmlessness analysis. It’s called maintaining your credibility.

Maybe I'm conflating two issues. Let me clarify:

1. Lawyer makes a bad faith argument, or breaches an ethical duty, they're a bad lawyer.

I agree.

2. Lawyer represents a bad cause or bad entity, or makes a distasteful argument, they're a bad person.

I strongly disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. In this state we are not allowed to say “victim”. Which is loving stupid.

And why I get stabby when articles talk about the “high numbers of prosecutorial misconduct cases”. When really they’re all either “said something they weren’t supposed to in an unscripted closing” or “didn’t turn over something they didn’t know existed.” I have zero tolerance for real misconduct. But...let’s not water down the definition.

You just inspired me to look reread some unpublished opinions. Apparently prosecutors can't, in jury selection, reference "a complaining witness as a victim when the question before the jury is whether that person was the victim of a crime." Which is a stupid wishy washy standard. If I'm in trial, some dude got shot. He's a victim.

I can use it in closing though, because I'm arguing the " alleged" half of the phrase is no longer applicable. He's now a "proven BRD victim."