Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't realize Genji and Hanamura came out at the same time. That ready was the shittiest patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Moola posted:

I have fun playing this game, mostly

I'm just bummed the product as a whole feels like it's taken several dozen steps backwards from where it was a few years ago

i feel ya

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BattleHamster posted:

This got me curious so I started looking through patch notes to figure out when peak HotS was for me and which patch I would go back to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI&t=27s

Of course, it's even better that the patch in question released on 4/20.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quote = not edit. I said "Sylvanus" two times, okay?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why was that one significant?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Next patch released Genji and Hanamura

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
I was thinking about the remaining major Blizz characters that are still missing in this game. With only 3-4 new heroes a year going forward (and who knows how long that will last), there are still a few missing that would probably make the roster "complete"

Starcraft - Mengsk is the only major character missing as he was the main villian across both games. I'm assuming the only reason he is not in yet is that making a kit for him would be challenging.

I know some people want Duran, Tosh, insert campaign charcter, but most of them are pretty underwhelming / generic imo

Warcraft - I'm not too familiar with post WC3 lore, so I don't really know who else is needed with Anduin getting in. Cairne maybe? Or just fill out the remaining WC3 heroes that are not represented in some way.

Diablo - having all the Prime and lesser evils would be great, but at this point Baal is all I am hoping for. Some people want D2 druid buuut that fantasy is kind of already filled by various characters.

Overwatch - Don't care. Add whoever. Reinhardt is likely next as there is no real tank yet from that universe in game.

Also blackthorne, rock n roll racer, blah blah etc.

What do you think, goons?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sanpytrain

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They should make a new nexus hero called like mobilito macmultipleescapes

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Vol'jin. Would, though, be hard pressed to explain why exactly. Trolls are cool. :shrug:

Baal of course. :devil:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
rock n roll racer character

make them literally a car and they always move around at mount speed

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why was that one significant?

It's gonna depend on your personal preference but Genji, Hanamura, and Heroes 2.0 all marked a considerable decline in my enjoyment of the game.

For example I can look at the list of heroes and hero reworks from Genji onwards and remember points in time, for almost all of them, where they were obnoxiously overpowered and un-fun to play against.

Alternatively I would roll back to just before tracer was released but then I would lose out on being able to play Gul'dan.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I started with heroes 2.0 and am a genji main ama

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I started with heroes 2.0 and am a genji main ama

boo this man!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

appropriatemetaphor posted:

They should make a new nexus hero called like mobilito macmultipleescapes

that's the overwatch tank, obvs

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I didnt care enough to even try hots until the 2.0 release and the overwatch genji skin event. Slowly overtime hots replaced OW.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Heroes 2.0 and the ability to unlock poo poo without paying for it, along with the influx of players it brought, was good. Genjo and Hanamura were not.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Charles Bukowski posted:

I didnt care enough to even try hots until the 2.0 release and the overwatch genji skin event. Slowly overtime hots replaced OW.

Same. I feel more unfairness and frustration playing ow. Can't think of a game that's more rage-inducing, to be honest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Moola posted:

I have fun playing this game, mostly

I'm just bummed the product as a whole feels like it's taken several dozen steps backwards from where it was a few years ago

Same, and I would really hate it if HOTS were to die, because it's the only MOBA I want to play. DOTA and its ilk take too long, they have too many hosed up lovely relic mechanics that are a chore to deal with, and their communities are toxic beyond belief.

HOTS is, for me, the best out of frankly bad options.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Grei Skuring posted:

Same. I feel more unfairness and frustration playing ow. Can't think of a game that's more rage-inducing, to be honest.

I kind of hate most of the maps in OW

So many of them have a single easy to defend chokepoint with virtually no way around, if your team comp sucks it's so often gg before you cN even take the first point

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Moola posted:

I kind of hate most of the maps in OW

So many of them have a single easy to defend chokepoint with virtually no way around, if your team comp sucks it's so often gg before you cN even take the first point

If people are willing the switch around you can get past this sometimes. This map design is what makes the Mystery Heroes idea totally unplayable though.

Overwatch is good times in quick match because there's no real stakes for losing. It's probably the least fun I've had in a competitive mode though where everyone is an rear end in a top hat and screaming in their mic and in chat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why are the Mecha Tyrael quests so buggy aaaaaargh.

I'm doing the "destroy 8 forts or keeps in winning games" one so I figured gently caress that for a game of soldiers in PVP games, and jumped into an AI match. While my chucklefuck teammates did whatever they gently caress they did, I backdoored all the enemy keeps and forts on two lanes, and the keep and two forts on the third lane.

By my calculation that is 6 forts and three keeps or nine structures in total.

Quest completion? 37%, or to put it another way, 2.96 keeps and / or forts. These destroy keeps and forts quests are always like this.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I started doing my ranked placement matches today and take back everything I said about having fun.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Radish posted:

If people are willing the switch around you can get past this sometimes. This map design is what makes the Mystery Heroes idea totally unplayable though.

Overwatch is good times in quick match because there's no real stakes for losing. It's probably the least fun I've had in a competitive mode though where everyone is an rear end in a top hat and screaming in their mic and in chat.

Overwatch is a game where they've made some really neat characters with cool backstories and fun costumes, but half the roster should never be played if you at all care about winning.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I got the Tyrael skin from doing the quests and now I feel empty and hollow inside

Much like Tyrael's suit

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

jzilla posted:

Overwatch is a game where they've made some really neat characters with cool backstories and fun costumes, but half the roster should never be played if you at all care about winning.

Yeah. It's really a game where it's best when you queue up for some shootery fun and as long as you don't end up against some constructed team and get totally stomped you'll have a decent time. Once you get into the competitive area everyone REALLY gives a poo poo and are very mad about it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reddit post confirming what the team is currently working on:

quote:

Happy 4th of July all,

We are currently working on all sorts of things and the team is excited and passionate towards getting stuff to you as fast as possible! Here is a quick list of some of things we are currently working on:

New Content (Heroes, Skins, Mounts, Sprays)

Battleground Changes

Storm League Seasons

Hero Reworks

Game System Changes

Balance Updates

ARAM Mode

Auto Requeue

Hero Mastery Identifications

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I can post that I'm working on a buncha stuff too.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Coming soon (2024)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure what the heck has happened (either I tanked my MMR by losing a bunch or what) but every game now has exactly one weirdo that has a meltdown five minutes in about something and then tanks the game. I'm probably not helping much since at this point I can see the "well I'm going to just idle in the staring area or endlessly lane until I get ganked because I consider the rest of the team to be under me" tantrum coming a mile a way and mouth off a bit but that hasn't really changed the frequency.

Like people freaking that we aren't pulling specific rotations in whatever poo poo level quick match we are in,that obviously the entire team is trash when their numbers are the worst, or picking DPS Varian when the other team has a dedicated peeling tank and then whining the rest of the team isn't pulling weight when they are all picked off. Then always durdling around to make sure it's a 4v5 game to prove their point we deserve to lose. I think having the leaver penalty ends up being a huge negative since it encourages this instead of letting them meltdown and find a new game since blizzard clearly doesn't do much with reports.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've found that pre-emptively asking my team to not become children the second things don't go our way at the start of the match has actually reduced the number of meltdowns i've experienced

i dunno if maybe it makes them more self conscious about what big babies they're being when their behavior is predicted or what but it's cool that it works, for me at least

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I did get one person to come back from a tantrum by really nicely explaining how they were only wasting their own time but lately it's been stuff like specific laning rotations or wanting to lane for xp instead of objectives (and not specifically to get to 10 just in general) that set them off instead of something more obvious like an early beating in the middle or losing the first objective. I'm not sure if some pro player recently pushed the importance of laning and less skilled players are hyper focusing on it but that seems to be a big topic of concern.

I'll give that a shot since it's better to get them to preemptively think about it rather than being in full tantrum mode where they are more likely to want to continue being spiteful.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 5, 2019

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Radish posted:

... because I consider the rest of the team to be under me" tantrum coming a mile a way and mouth off a bit but

This is probably one of the worst ways to deal with it. I'd you want the outcome to be "bad player stops whining" don't play into their petulant attitude. If I ever see anything like that I either ignore it or become cloyingly motivating.

Also, if you have a mindless, unresponsive laner on your team, play into it if you can. I usually just try to maneuver into pushing or taking camps if we are guaranteed to fight 4v5. Assuming they don't respond to your attempts to play as a team.

Grei Skuring fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 5, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh yeah I totally understand I am not helping whatsoever but it's to the point where ignoring it or trying to be nice did nothing so it's just me lashing out before they do what they were going to do 90% of the time anyway. Telling a guy to settle down was enough to set him off so people are really on a hair trigger. The adult thing to do is to just mute and ignore which I'm going to do from now on.

The frustrating thing about the mindless laners is lately they have been REALLY loud about everyone else not playing right which is incredibly irritating when we lose objectives or forts because they must stay in their land to maximize xp no matter what.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 5, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's 2 sides to the laning coin. on the one hand, there's playing as murky and some dipshit getting mad at you for skipping first objective when you weren't exactly going to be any help before level 10 anyway. on the other hand, there's the objective coming up and your main tank hanging out in the lane on the opposite end of the map.

i've also had way less people getting mad about the murky thing when i explain that i'm going to skip the first objective in chat before the game starts, and then add "if you want me to come to obj anyway, even though it's the worse play, let me know now and i'll do it" and for some reason i haven't had a single person get mad at me about it and also no one has ever said "come to objective idiot" either. so that's cool

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oddly I haven't seen anyone get mad at Murky or the rare Vikings for sticking to laning instead of objectives. I've been on the other side where we are winning all the objectives and the Murky is slamming our core and you just have to respect it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Der Shovel posted:

Why are the Mecha Tyrael quests so buggy aaaaaargh.

I'm doing the "destroy 8 forts or keeps in winning games" one so I figured gently caress that for a game of soldiers in PVP games, and jumped into an AI match. While my chucklefuck teammates did whatever they gently caress they did, I backdoored all the enemy keeps and forts on two lanes, and the keep and two forts on the third lane.

By my calculation that is 6 forts and three keeps or nine structures in total.

Quest completion? 37%, or to put it another way, 2.96 keeps and / or forts. These destroy keeps and forts quests are always like this.

I haven’t played this game in a long time, did they add a ton of structures or something?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

beejay posted:

I haven’t played this game in a long time, did they add a ton of structures or something?

Having just recently started playing again, kind of, they certainly did not. Maybe they're conflating towers with forts or something?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blizzard should just pivot and make HotS into an autochess contender since that’s becoming the new hotness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
We'll need to wait 2 more year or so until Blizzard is truly late to this new trend/fad/genre of "auto-chess" game, but even then, Blizzard will conclude that chess is not casual enough for their brain dead userbase and instead make Blizzard Auto-Checkers™.