Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

highme posted:

A few years ago, before Uber/Lyft was available here, I was at the winter beer festival in downtown Portland with a friend, his dumbfuck neighbor and a few of my buddy's clients from Eugene, all white men. We decided that we were going to change venues and headed to a bar just across the river in inner SE Portland, probably a mile or so walk. While people started hemming and hawing over how to get there, I just started walking and they all fell in line. The first few blocks after crossing the river is in an industrial section with a pretty good sized chunk of homeless living in the area. The pearl clutching & asking if everything was safe from all of the dudes was hysterical. Especially my buddy's dumbfuck neighbor who I've gotten into with before when he said he & his wife were going to take tactical shooter classes in case they're ever in a mass shooting situation.

I love Portland even though I know it has it's problems, but I've just sat in the park in with the elephant and just hung out with the homeless people and it's not scary at all. That's so funny. Homeless people ain't going to cause a mass shooting situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

1glitch0 posted:

I am so conflicted on whether he's doing this stuff as a strategy (which seem unlikely because he's so stupid) or if he's so stupid he just babbles things (which seems unlikely because who could be that stupid?).

Old folks who are losing it are like this all the time. They ramble and forget to put parts of conversations in and assume you know what you're talking about and whatnot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I love Portland even though I know it has it's problems, but I've just sat in the park in with the elephant and just hung out with the homeless people and it's not scary at all. That's so funny. Homeless people ain't going to cause a mass shooting situation.

Republicans want to mass shoot homeless people.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

One time I walked past a homeless person and I wasn't scared in the least. Even made eye contact!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BrandorKP posted:

They transport big transformers by heavy rail cars think 350 metric tons big. Tanks are heavy but they aren't heavy. Tanks are something one could put on a low boy Mafi. That photo isn't good enough but normally one can read tare, net max and gross max allowable on a rail car like that. I see where it is I just can't read it. Given that it's prefix is DODX, it's almost certainly designed for what it's doing.

Trains are ridiculously efficient. Been studying trains lately and they are drat near magic. Their contact surface is so small (something like two coins worth for a full sized locomotive) Due to this greatly reduced friction a train can pull around a ton of weight with only about 3 kilograms worth of force required.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Calibanibal posted:

One time I walked past a homeless person and I wasn't scared in the least. Even made eye contact!

Well, you're better than a lot of people I work with.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I know in the grand scheme it isn't the most important thing in the world, but who fits the bill for the 4th of July Parade in DC? I hope to hell the local DC government isn't stuck with the bill for Trump to haul in a bunch of military equipment and flyovers so he can feel like a tin-pot dictator.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Katt posted:

Trains are ridiculously efficient. Been studying trains lately and they are drat near magic. Their contact surface is so small (something like two coins worth for a full sized locomotive) Due to this greatly reduced friction a train can pull around a ton of weight with only about 3 kilograms worth of force required.

Also part of why it takes them forever to stop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1146097920497901570

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Katt posted:

Been studying trains lately and they are drat near magic.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Phenotype posted:

All the tanks and planes planned for the parade are just support for the piece de resistance:

I know this is supposed to mock him, but I always have concerns about this type of imagery. Many extreme right wing folk love the hell out of Warhammer 40k and unironically think the emperor of mankind is awesome. I doubt this piece has its intended effect.

Kind of like how lots of neo-nazis love the crap out of American History X for making them look 'badass' in spite of the film's intended message.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

cochise posted:

Saving her for the finals maybe.

Well they do have the recovery vehicle ready in case the tanks and APCs gently caress too much up, lmao

So uhhhhh, don't ask how I know this, but currently, the tanks are too fat and require two recovery vehicles per tank. If one of them breaks down, it's gonna be a shitshow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Car Hater posted:

So uhhhhh, don't ask how I know this, but currently, the tanks are too fat and require two recovery vehicles per tank. If one of them breaks down, it's gonna be a shitshow.

They aren't being driven just parked and shown off, and trucked in and out.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

oh good, another round of "let's express our progressive liberal bonafides by sneering at nonwhite and/or poor people who live in red states"

thanks for this entirely fresh take, paul krugman

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

luxury handset posted:

oh good, another round of "let's express our progressive liberal bonafides by sneering at nonwhite and/or poor people who live in red states"

quote:

So if you really believe that Americans with higher incomes shouldn’t pay for benefits provided to those with lower incomes, you should be calling on “donor” states like New Jersey and New York to cut off places like Kentucky and let their economies collapse. And if that’s what you mean, you should let Mitch McConnell’s constituents know about it.

The point is that while you can criticize particular Democratic proposals, you can only portray progressives as radical or irresponsible, especially as compared with the modern G.O.P., by ignoring or suppressing a lot of facts. I guess facts really do have a liberal bias.

He's not saying that, he's calling out Republicans for being hypocrites. Which isn't exactly a revelation or anything, but he's not saying it's a bad thing for the rich to subsidize the poor.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I'm also so unhappy that I have to think about Donald Trump so much since I dismissed him when I was like 8 years old in the 80s as a stupid weirdo. But I guess that's why we call it the hell world timeline.

This exactly, I'm tired of having to care about Trump. No-one in history has received as much attention while deserving none of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

luxury handset posted:

It's more about the hypocrisy. If a blue state were found to have federal dollars comprising 20% of its budget, the RWM would be baying for blood.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

G*d I wish Trump was gone so I could go back to not thinking about politics.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

He's not saying that, he's calling out Republicans for being hypocrites. Which isn't exactly a revelation or anything, but he's not saying it's a bad thing for the rich to subsidize the poor.

It also has this fun quote too

quote:

In fact, the best argument against “Medicare for All” skeptics like me, who worry how voters will react to proposals to eliminate private insurance, is that Republicans will scream about a government takeover of health care — and Fox News viewers will believe them — whatever you do.

Edit:

Calibanibal posted:

I also wish Trump wasn't president so you could stop thinking about politics

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Katt posted:

I've written about it in the climate thread but the marine mode is even better, about an order of magnitude better. A panamax ship can move 78,000 MT (metric tons) at 15 -20 knots for a full day ( so 480 nautical miles) and only will burn approximately 25 metric tons of fuel!

But trains can be electrified.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my bad, i try to defeat the nyt paywall by ctrl-a ctrl-c in a split second and this makes some chunked text

here's something lovely

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/02/738059913/trump-administration-sends-out-notices-of-500-000-fines-for-those-in-u-s-illegal

quote:

The Trump administration is seeking to fine some immigrants in the United States illegally, hundreds of thousands of dollars for failing to take steps to leave after being ordered to do so, according to government documents obtained by NPR.

The Department of Homeland Security sent out a batch of notices across the country to targeted individuals ordering them to pay fines of up to nearly $500,000 for "failing to depart the U.S. as previously agreed," among other factors.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

haveblue posted:

It's more about the hypocrisy. If a blue state were found to have federal dollars comprising 20% of its budget, the RWM would be baying for blood.

I have a distant cousin I had not seen since I was a child.

One of the first things he said to me, immediately after asking where I live, was that half of all babies born in New York City are on Medicaid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/1146111881565933569

What the gently caress is wrong with this country and what the gently caress is wrong with the people who defend this poo poo?

Why are these pictures not the headline of every national newspaper and every national news site?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1146139159427465216

About drat time.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

Why are these pictures not the headline of every national newspaper and every national news site?

It makes the white people sad

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So any more info on why Pence got sent back to DC and every country is holding emergency security meetings today? I notice Donald hasn't been tweetering

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Do we even know if the shoes existed, and Nike didn't just whip up a Photoshop and fake Kaepernik story because they knew the chuds would give them millions of dollars in free advertising again?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Calibanibal posted:

What kind of charmed rear end life do you have that you can not think about politics?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

So any more info on why Pence got sent back to DC and every country is holding emergency security meetings today? I notice Donald hasn't been tweetering

Dunno what happened with Pences plane but russia had a sub catch on fire. So no...not "every country"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

What kind of charmed rear end life do you have that you can not think about politics?

Middle class, straight, white guy?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FuturePastNow posted:

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/1146121275296944134

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jaxyon posted:

As a white middle class male, I'd be pretty safe not thinking about it if I were more of an rear end in a top hat.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Calibanibal is a troll poster yall.

But at least he's not posting ~primary chat~

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Previa_fun posted:

Calibanibal is a troll poster yall.

But at least he's not posting ~primary chat~

He's weirdly committed too, he gets very few bites in this thread.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol what

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

'Invited', though. Sounds like it'll be a 'directed by the WH to not show up' moment.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol Trump was going to push the big red button

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

A man masquerading as a "journalist" got punched once so that's more important.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like how we've stopped pretending any of these people will ever be confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Glumslinger posted:

I also wish Trump wasn't president so you could stop thinking about politics

I would never accuse Calibanibal of thinking about politics