Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kanfy posted:

Doing 6 FATEs per zone is also worth it to unlock the riding maps from the gem vendors, at least if you haven't learned to fly in the zone yet since it also makes doing the main quest easier. You end up with a decent chunk of experience from it too.

Oh, is that what unlocks the maps? That'd been good to know sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

garfield hentai posted:

The trust system is really cheesing me off with this second boss in the second dungeon. Oh you're standing there well I'll just get right in front of you uselessly and oops we're all dead

As someone who ran said dungeon with trusts ten times in a hunt for the gunblade: Wha? I never had any problems with the second boss and nobody died that entire dungeon. (The only trust death I've had so far is Alphnauid eating an bunch of trash AoEs)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sirbloody posted:

What beginner jobs does everyone recommend? When I played in Heavensward I got my SCH to 50ish, but now that Shadowbringers is out my wife has decided to play as well (Finally got her preorder key yesterday for the exp earring) . We both made brand new characters on Zalera since it was open and she was too impatient to wait. At the moment my wife is leaning towards Black Mage and I have my heart set on either healing again or swapping to Gunbreaker when I finally unlock it. or even playing a fill roll, while I hated tanking in WoW I do not mind it in FFXIV

WAR or WHM, probably if you just want something fairly straightforward.

In practical terms, especially if both you and her stick with the one job you'll have an easier time with dungeon/trial queues if one of you plays healer or tank. Also, keep in mind that when you hit level 50, you can immediately pick up RDM or SAM and both of them start at level 50 so if you want to switch to dps there really won't be any catch up process. At 60 the same thing happens for Gunbreaker and Dancer, so you'll have access to a high level caster dps, melee dps, ranged physical dps, and tank. The highest level healer pickup you can get after the fact is AST that will start at level 30, but you unlock it when your main is 50, so there's still 20 levels of catchup. Might be worthwhile to roll WHM and level healer from the get-go if you're not opposed to the concept.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My only Trust deaths have been somehow everyone died on the last boss of the 71 dungeon and I had to bring it home and then one death on the last boss of the 77 dungeon somehow. No clue how that happened either. Repeat runs have been flawless.

Really dig the Trust system and would like to see it continue on in the future for sure. Or even upgrade squads to have that better AI.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I'm just a huge weirdo because AST was my healer of choice and while I agree that a lot of the identity of the job has been stripped away, now that I've put a little bit of time into it I'm pretty alright with the changes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Doing 6 FATEs per zone is also worth it to unlock the riding maps from the gem vendors, at least if you haven't learned to fly in the zone yet since it also makes doing the main quest easier. You end up with a decent chunk of experience from it too.

The thing that kinda sucks is some zones have the gem vendor so deep into the quest line that it you really don't get much out of the riding map even if you're ready to buy it. (very mild spoilers for zone structure) Ahm Araeng and Kholusia both have the gem vendors in the revisit half, Lakeland you barely MSQ in, Raktika has it close to the end.

But yeah, knocking out 6 fates a zone while leveling isn't a bad idea since you'll probably need some extra XP anyways. My only irritation is there's gem vendors in the cities that require you to raise the safety rating in each zone, but what this actually means is "get shared fates in all zones to rank 3." I was expecting Rank 2 in all zones to at least get something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxyclean posted:

The thing that kinda sucks is some zones have the gem vendor so deep into the quest line that it you really don't get much out of the riding map even if you're ready to buy it. (very mild spoilers for zone structure) Ahm Araeng and Kholusia both have the gem vendors in the revisit half, Lakeland you barely MSQ in, Raktika has it close to the end.

But yeah, knocking out 6 fates a zone while leveling isn't a bad idea since you'll probably need some extra XP anyways. My only irritation is there's gem vendors in the cities that require you to raise the safety rating in each zone, but what this actually means is "get shared fates in all zones to rank 3." I was expecting Rank 2 in all zones to at least get something.

Wait, rank 3 in all zones??? That's like 400 FATEs!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Givin posted:

My only Trust deaths have been somehow everyone died on the last boss of the 71 dungeon and I had to bring it home and then one death on the last boss of the 77 dungeon somehow. No clue how that happened either. Repeat runs have been flawless.

Really dig the Trust system and would like to see it continue on in the future for sure. Or even upgrade squads to have that better AI.

I got into the 71 dungeon with a normal group of players, tanking as a DRK. After the first pull, where I was taking a decent chunk of damage and dps was not so hot, I was getting repeatedly pestered by one of the dps for not pulling massive groups. He continued to do so for the rest of the dungeon.

I was appreciating the idea of the trust system by the end of that run.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Wait, rank 3 in all zones??? That's like 400 FATEs!

At least, I have to assume that's the requirement. It says raise the safety rating (or something to that effect) in all zones, and I've hit rank 2 everywhere and the vendors still give me the message.

It probably won't be so bad if you chip away at it while leveling multiple jobs.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I'm also down for a Crystal goon linkshell, I have a pretty chill bunch of guys I used to play WoW with that are on Goblin, I'd love to have some goons to faff around with as well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If anyone else bought off the Square-Enix Store, I was able to get my code from them and redeem it on the mogstation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That scene before you get access to the second half of Kholusia

:3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question from a new tank:

How do you know when you need to tank swap in a trial/raid? Is it usually a pretty obvious mechanic or is it something that usually requires some foreknowlege of a fight?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

How do you know when you need to tank swap in a trial/raid? Is it usually a pretty obvious mechanic or is it something that usually requires some foreknowlege of a fight?

You'll need to learn, but in most cases it's as simple as putting a debuff, or a stacking debuff, on the current tank that will gently caress him up if a swap doesn't happen.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Six of one, half dozen of the other. If you're going in completely blind a tank swap might catch you off guard, but once you know it's coming it's usually pretty easy to tell when you need to jump in or out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only non-Extreme/Savage content that I can think of off the top of my head that requires a tank swap is like, O4.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Oxyclean posted:

What the hell is safety rating?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cabbit posted:

What the hell is safety rating?

The lore reason for those vendors getting extra stock is that you going out and doing fates is making the area safer, so they can bring in more traders.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

just coming back after a while, are there any updated class guides for rotations and things like that? My class seems to have lost some abilities it had the last time I played and I'd like to check out some new optimal rotations so I don't have to re-learn everything

Surprisingly, these type of guides do seem to be a bit hard to come by: the only type of guides I can find on Youtube are people showing off super raid-level DPS rotations on dummies with little to no explanation (or long, rambling, unedited explanations). Does nobody make these type of guides for basic optimal rotations? If not, make I should look into making some of these...

Anyway, what's the class you're specifically looking for help on? I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want, but the best I could find is these, which are guides to what abilities were lost/gained in the recent transition to Shadowbringers. No detailed explanations on rotations, however. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_wyQleJzI

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the tank swap explanations, everyone. It's good to know I won't have to worry about the mechanic until I'm 80 and getting into non-story/non-dungeon stuff, so I can learn tanking basics first.

Unrelated question: if you use a level boost, can you get level 60/70 AF gear? I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a level boost but in case I'm tempted I don't want to use one on a job where I really want those AF sets and might miss out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

Thanks for the tank swap explanations, everyone. It's good to know I won't have to worry about the mechanic until I'm 80 and getting into non-story/non-dungeon stuff, so I can learn tanking basics first.

Unrelated question: if you use a level boost, can you get level 60/70 AF gear? I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a level boost but in case I'm tempted I don't want to use one on a job where I really want those AF sets and might miss out.

The 60 AF gear can be bought by Centurio Seals. The 70 might be available at a calamity salvager,

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

For the most part, it's safe to assume that anything that can be accessed through DF won't have any mechanics that require actual coordination. Plenty of personal responsibility mechanics that could potentially wipe the raid if failed, but nothing that requires two or more players working together.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thanks these videos are pretty good, not quite exactly what I wanted, but good enough.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I kind of wish that if you bought the level boost that you could opt out of auto-completing the job quests. There's really not that many, and most of them aren't terribly involved, I'd rather just do the quests and get the story too.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Harrow posted:

Since you get the gear coffer from the 70 job quest, I presume that they just give you that AF in your inventory if you buy the boost. I don't think there's a special AF for 60.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

If anyone else bought off the Square-Enix Store, I was able to get my code from them and redeem it on the mogstation.

I did and it didn't work, so I just went and bought it off steam.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

As someone who ran said dungeon with trusts ten times in a hunt for the gunblade: Wha? I never had any problems with the second boss and nobody died that entire dungeon. (The only trust death I've had so far is Alphnauid eating an bunch of trash AoEs)

Maybe I'm just awful or unlucky or maybe it's a matter of melee vs ranged positioning or something but for some reason an NPC always just really, really wanted to ignore the untended beam right next to them and rush into the beam that I was already blocking

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can use WASD to move your character into an unoccupied beam

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

garfield hentai posted:

Maybe I'm just awful or unlucky or maybe it's a matter of melee vs ranged positioning or something but for some reason an NPC always just really, really wanted to ignore the untended beam right next to them and rush into the beam that I was already blocking

Urianger wiped us there like three times because he kept doing that, maybe two seconds before the buff went up.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Draxion posted:

Urianger wiped us there like three times because he kept doing that, maybe two seconds before the buff went up.

What job? I'm wondering if maybe the AI is less terrible on this fight depending on how you're positioned - I'm starting off with MCH and Blockhouse had no problems with GNB.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Okay cool the UPS tracker says my CE was delivered.

To Hebron, KY.

20 miles away from where I live.

No address given. Just....Hebron, KY.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’m at work and my weeklong vacation doesn’t start until the 4th and i’m suffering. i thought it would be a shitshow like stormblood was and opted to take time off for the second week while my friends went with this week and i’m regretting it now.

also, to add to the yotsuyu conversation earlier, I found her to be super flat and cliche.

When they do that whole flashback and then she gives that “woe is me, my life was awful” speech at the end of Doma Castle, I could care less about her because she’d been so awful and unrepentant. When they showed she survived, I was actually really annoyed, but at the end of her character arc I found myself sympathetic for her.

I do think it really worked and the post msq quests highlights how she wasn’t born a monster but became one to thanks to the abuse of her family and the people around her that let that abuse happen. She and Fordola are good foils for each other because while Fordola is beaten down, she continues to stand and move forward while believing in the future while Yotsuyu simply shatters and wishes to drag everything down with her.

I know people have said that Yotsuyu’s survival and then death felt pointless, but it did feel like a proper closure to her arc. For the first time in her life, someone actually cared for her - someone she’d brutally tortured even - and she was able to die peacefully versus screaming and ranting like she did in Doma. There really was going to be no happy ending for her once she regained her memories as Yotsuyu and she even understood that her crimes were unforgivable; while it would had been nice if she could have lived on as Tsuyu and taken care of Gosetsu as his adopted granddaughter, her dying as Yotsuyu allows Doma to end that chapter of Garlean occupancy to come to a close. She’s also finally satisfied with her grudge against her people, which wasn’t really against them but her family who had abused her all her life.

I have a lot of feelings on this. Especially when I realized that both of the Yanxia themes tie into her fighting music.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

garfield hentai posted:

What job? I'm wondering if maybe the AI is less terrible on this fight depending on how you're positioned - I'm starting off with MCH and Blockhouse had no problems with GNB.

DRG. I think that the trusts predecide what they're going to block, but actually decide to go move to it at varying times so you can get a streak where they work with you, or a streak where I'm standing in a beam and one runs across the map to also stand there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trusts also seem to stop doing anything at all when they're handling mechanics. Even if they're still standing right next to their target, they don't attack it until the mechanics are resolved. I'm pretty sure they stop healing too.

Trusts are a decent system, but there's lots of room for improvement.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about Yotsuyo is the fact that if Gosetsu hadn't shown her kindness as Tsuyu, his shade would not have appeared during the trial, right? That means that we wouldn't have been able to stop the shade of Zenos from maxing out her suffering meter and it would be a guaranteed wipe. Gosetsu showing her a bit of kindness weakened her hatred of the world just enough that her Tsukuyomi form wasn't all-powerful, and is the sole reason we were able to beat her in a really masterful example of gameplay reflecting storytelling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I haven't seen any Trust deaths personally.

Urianger was bad about avoiding some things in the 75 dungeon, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally finished up the MSQ and wanted to echo what everyone else has already said: this is the hands down best content the team's ever produced, and it could pretty easily stand alone as a main FF title in its own right. The story hit all the right emotional notes and never felt like it was overstaying its welcome for a second. The dungeons and trials all felt like a breath of fresh air, and they were hard enough to make me sweat without breaking new groups over their back like Shinryu did. My only genuine complaint is that some of the quest hubs still had too many quests popping up all at once, but even that's barely a complaint. I think they knocked it out of the park in a way that SE as a whole has struggled to do for a while, which bodes well for the game's future.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I haven't seen any Trust deaths personally.

Urianger was bad about avoiding some things in the 75 dungeon, though.

I've had Alphi eat it once, though that may have been my fault. Then Alisae used swiftcast to verraise him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Splash Attack posted:

i’m at work and my weeklong vacation doesn’t start until the 4th and i’m suffering. i thought it would be a shitshow like stormblood was and opted to take time off for the second week while my friends went with this week and i’m regretting it now.

also, to add to the yotsuyu conversation earlier, I found her to be super flat and cliche.

When they do that whole flashback and then she gives that “woe is me, my life was awful” speech at the end of Doma Castle, I could care less about her because she’d been so awful and unrepentant. When they showed she survived, I was actually really annoyed, but at the end of her character arc I found myself sympathetic for her.

I do think it really worked and the post msq quests highlights how she wasn’t born a monster but became one to thanks to the abuse of her family and the people around her that let that abuse happen. She and Fordola are good foils for each other because while Fordola is beaten down, she continues to stand and move forward while believing in the future while Yotsuyu simply shatters and wishes to drag everything down with her.

I know people have said that Yotsuyu’s survival and then death felt pointless, but it did feel like a proper closure to her arc. For the first time in her life, someone actually cared for her - someone she’d brutally tortured even - and she was able to die peacefully versus screaming and ranting like she did in Doma. There really was going to be no happy ending for her once she regained her memories as Yotsuyu and she even understood that her crimes were unforgivable; while it would had been nice if she could have lived on as Tsuyu and taken care of Gosetsu as his adopted granddaughter, her dying as Yotsuyu allows Doma to end that chapter of Garlean occupancy to come to a close. She’s also finally satisfied with her grudge against her people, which wasn’t really against them but her family who had abused her all her life.

I have a lot of feelings on this. Especially when I realized that both of the Yanxia themes tie into her fighting music.

I love how she briefly contemplates suicide, almost mockingly like "I won't let myself be pitied by these pathetic people." But then her parents show up to remind her that "Oh yeah, my childhood Sucked."