Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sucrose posted:

Lol this is a rule literally left over from the days of typewriters, made to apply to typewriters.

At this point I just feel bad for starting this whole derail because I was just telling a funny anecdote to illustrate that so much boomer and gen-x hate is really just about being pissed that things change and they aren't the pounding beating heart of youth culture anymore.

As a way of appologizing, I leave you news that will surprise nobody. CPB is full of trash humans and the cruelty is the point.

https://www.propublica.org/article/secret-border-patrol-facebook-group-agents-joke-about-migrant-deaths-post-sexist-memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

xrunner posted:

At this point I just feel bad for starting this whole derail because I was just telling a funny anecdote to illustrate that so much boomer and gen-x hate is really just about being pissed that things change and they aren't the pounding beating heart of youth culture anymore.

First of all, it's a style issue, not a grammar issue. Second, if you have house style for your company (or you use Chicago style for example) you can wave in his face and tell him to stfu. But he has disastrously poor email etiquette even for a boomer, so none of that is problem #1.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My mom uses NO spaces between sentences. She doesn't do it on purpose, and she does it at work as well as on Facebook. I don't know what's happening with that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

My mom uses NO spaces between sentences. She doesn't do it on purpose, and she does it at work as well as on Facebook. I don't know what's happening with that.

Weird, but unless the sentences start and end with a numeral, it should be clear enough to read.

Weird, though

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

First of all, it's a style issue, not a grammar issue. Second, if you have house style for your company (or you use Chicago style for example) you can wave in his face and tell him to stfu. But he has disastrously poor email etiquette even for a boomer, so none of that is problem #1.

These are fair points. I'll make sure to relay them to the guy who owns the company I work for next time I run into him, especially given that he has the temperament you would expect from the kind of person who reads a loving Megan McCardle article and forwards it to the entire company and goes on a holy war against single spacing in emails. :)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hey can one of you tell me just what the hell a 'stan' is supposed to be?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

An overly obsessive fan, the term, I believe, is a reference to the song "Stan" by Eminem.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's a turkic suffix for land, such as "Kazakhstan" = Land of Kazakhs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

^^^lol

As mycomancy said. But I also never encountered that word until a couple of months ago and now hear it god drat everywhere, so I feel you.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

mycomancy posted:

An overly obsessive fan, the term, I believe, is a reference to the song "Stan" by Eminem.

This really pisses me off. Fan is already short for fanatic, which means overly obsessive fan

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terror Sweat posted:

This really pisses me off. Fan is already short for fanatic, which means overly obsessive fan

Language changes and you shouldn't get worked up about it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s pretty normal to have aesthetic reactions to the use of language, regardless of whether or not it changes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That doesn't make it not dumb.

Edit : I say that as some with a strong opinion about language. But it's like getting angry at continental drift. There's nothing you can do. It's all just oldmanshoutsatcloud.jpg.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah but what does fan mean???

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xiahou Dun posted:

That doesn't make it not dumb.

Edit : I say that as some with a strong opinion about language. But it's like getting angry at continental drift. There's nothing you can do. It's all just oldmanshoutsatcloud.jpg.

Says you. I've been playing a long game with climate change.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ll do what I want

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

I’ll do what I want

Cool?

Then I vote we bring back the thou/you distinction and morphological gender. Those are cool.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Xiahou Dun posted:

^^^lol

.... But I also never encountered that word until a couple of months ago and now hear it god drat everywhere...

Same. And while I'd obviously heard "bootlicker" before, a few months ago I started coming across it literally every day. I figure people's working vocabulary--the words among those they know that they're actually inclined to use--is driven in large part my what they hear. It makes sense that changes to working vocab can propagate memetically. The internet just makes it really sudden, erratic, and weird.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Remember that period of like 24 months when every political discussion on these forums revolved around what particular topographical feature you were willing to expire upon.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Cool?

Then I vote we bring back the thou/you distinction and morphological gender. Those are cool.

I think you're missing the point of "doing what you want"!

E: Unless what you really wanted to do was cast a vote instead of actually use the grammatical features you mentioned.

VVVV There you go! Also, I had no idea old English had morphological gender - cool stuff! VVVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Stickman posted:

I think you're missing the point of "doing what you want"!

Nay, I think it is thee that hast missed the point.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Helsing posted:

Remember that period of like 24 months when every political discussion on these forums revolved around what particular topographical feature you were willing to expire upon.

I miss the debate on how Ohio was an east coast state and that the Appalachians weren’t mountains.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Helsing posted:

I only die on cwms. :dukedog:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/paiaabanitu/status/1146115987256877059?s=21

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nay, I think it is thee that hast missed the point.

I think thee is accusative - Thou hast is probably right.

e: grammar is hard!

Albinator fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 2, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Xiahou Dun posted:

^^^lol

As mycomancy said. But I also never encountered that word until a couple of months ago and now hear it god drat everywhere, so I feel you.

Stan was also released like 20 years ago, so the fact its making a comeback is kinda odd

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Stan was also released like 20 years ago, so the fact its making a comeback is kinda odd

No it....oh god it was.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Albinator posted:

I think thee is accusative and hast would be third person. Thou hath is probably what you’re looking for.

"Hast" is 2nd person, but yeah I did brain fart and should've used "thou" since that's a bridge verb not an ECM verb. My bad. Kind of undermines my joke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's such an annoyingly fine line between "there is such a thing as using correct spelling/grammar/expressions" and "language changes, get over it"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Hast" is 2nd person, but yeah I did brain fart and should've used "thou" since that's a bridge verb not an ECM verb. My bad. Kind of undermines my joke.

Thou hast mich?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

To be fair, it's not a new term by any means and has been used in fan circles as a derogatory thing for as long as that song's been around.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Thou hast mich?

I can’t tell if you’re joking but that’s literally what that song is in German. English just lost thou/du.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Data Graham posted:

There's such an annoyingly fine line between "there is such a thing as using correct spelling/grammar/expressions" and "language changes, get over it"

no there isn't! language is fake! get over it!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I know what you mean.

I'd say the line is where your language fails to communicate successfully.
So the line is closer to prescriptive the more technical or detailed the idea being communicated. If you're just bullshitting with your buds it matters hardly at all.

Work is something else. You sort of have to be as formal as the person who can fire you or give you a raise thinks is appropriate, or the customer, or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like if my friend uses "implicitly" to mean "explicitly", do I just go with it and learn his quirks, or do I press him to explain which he means, because they are very different and equally plausible things to say in the situation

Or do I just give up and let "explicit" mean "has dirty words in it", as is the way of things nowadays

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://nbcnews.to/2J5KgsU
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1146141642782662656

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://mobile.twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/1146084545114116096

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can’t tell if you’re joking but that’s literally what that song is in German. English just lost thou/du.

I am joking good sir.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

mycomancy posted:

I am joking good sir.

Thou art a villainous verticillium. Thy hen of the woods has loudly and lustily found you out for eternal chagrin and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Thou art a villainous verticillium. Thy hen of the woods has loudly and lustily found you out for eternal chagrin and shame.

Thous speakest sooth.

(This is the dumbest little derail but I like it.)