Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Coffee Jones posted:

It’s kinda reminded me of a boss I had (who’d also spent a lot of time at MS) during one of our 1:1’s
“Hey, we get the sense that you’re not getting as much work done as your coworkers.”

me: “Can you be more specific? I’m here ten hours a day. I’m working on the jira tickets on the board, same as everybody else.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about.”

me: “We go through the agile methodology, do sprint estimations, set our priorities, write user stories from the PM’s requirements, what else is there?”

“We’ve got higher expectations of you. You figure it out, I’m not here to spoon feed you.”

after another eight months of ups and downs, and me desperately shaking him down for actionable feedback, I resign out of frustration, and I get this at my exit interview,
“If you were passionate about your work, you’d know what to do without being told.”

Assuming the guy wasn’t gaslighting me, it felt like there’s an entirely separate ‘higher’ level of work experience and mindset expected of me that would make me a Director at lesser companies.
Gaslighting is real, another strong possibility is you're being judged harshly about something like office hours. Arrive 10 minutes after the boss does? You're a slacker, even if you leave 3 hours after he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pathetic little tramp posted:

Anyone have any experience with new developers undercutting on salaries? I work for a company currently that was just hiring for a react developer, had quite a few applicants with 4, 5, and 10+ years experience who were asking for 150 and up but they hired some kid who has not had a coding job before because he said he'd do it for 50.

Is this a common thing among companies or is my company just completely poo poo-brained? (This kid is going to break things lol)

Depends on what you need the person to do. You always get what you pay for, not a big deal though if the upper limit on the possible damage he can do is fairly low.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Anyone have any experience with new developers undercutting on salaries? I work for a company currently that was just hiring for a react developer, had quite a few applicants with 4, 5, and 10+ years experience who were asking for 150 and up but they hired some kid who has not had a coding job before because he said he'd do it for 50.

Is this a common thing among companies or is my company just completely poo poo-brained? (This kid is going to break things lol)

it sounds like your company doesn't actually know who they're trying to hire. if that work can be done by a junior employee, and your company has the resources to onboard and mentor additional juniors, by all means hire the junior candidate. but it doesn't sound like your company has thought about this more than "50 less than 150" and it's going to be a shitshow

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
also i hope there was a technical interview involved beyond "what's the lowest you're willing to work for"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Pie Colony posted:

also i hope there was a technical interview involved beyond "what's the lowest you're willing to work for"

lol, they basically have a "code up a fizzbuzz" and if you do, you are considered "passed"

that's about it.

this is a company where every couple weeks someone posts to the tech channel on slack "Hey my admin account doesn't appear to be working, who should i put a ticket in with" and there's no answer for about 3 hours and then "@poorfucker has left the channel"

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 2, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i mean thats fine if they know the implications of onboarding a new grad/junior position

i'm guessing they don't?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

FYI selling services into the EU has absolutely nothing with being a part of the EU.

???

you could not be more wrong if you tried

services, and particularly financial services, are inextricably one of the "four Fs" that the EU refuses to un-bundle

the heart of the entire brexit thing is that the EU will not permit london to remain a perfect location for financial services unless the UK is also willing to permit free movement of goods and people

qhat posted:

I doubt that the financial services industry is suddenly going to shutter their doors in London and move to Frankfurt. I'm mostly wondering if there will be a limited contraction in the tech industry vs a sharp contraction in the labour pool, inflating wages for devs.

the financial services industry is already moving. thousands of job cuts in the last two years. count on that accelerating if brexit actually goes through

after brexit, london will be an EU-adjacent option instead of an EU financial center. it will join such world cities as lagos and istanbul.

good luck with that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the reason that london ever became a financial center was

1. they were the first to deregulate
(totally irrelevant today, because france and germany have followed britain's lead)

2. they invented "eurodollar" bonds
(totally irrelevant today, because eurodollars are traded everywhere, and the euro also exists)

it's all historical accident

brexit is going to un-do the accident

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

belfast is a dive but it has real good dev wages for the cost of living. i'm a not-senior and i make about 40k, and you can buy a house in walking/cycling distance of jobs for less than 200k

is it really that much of a dive? i visited last year for work and really enjoyed the city

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

???

you could not be more wrong if you tried

services, and particularly financial services, are inextricably one of the "four Fs" that the EU refuses to un-bundle

the heart of the entire brexit thing is that the EU will not permit london to remain a perfect location for financial services unless the UK is also willing to permit free movement of goods and people

the financial services industry is already moving. thousands of job cuts in the last two years. count on that accelerating if brexit actually goes through

after brexit, london will be an EU-adjacent option instead of an EU financial center. it will join such world cities as lagos and istanbul.

good luck with that

Counter point: Switzerland is not a part of the EU, and it's banks do not have EU passporting, but I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to claim that this has somehow restricted the Swiss banking industry in any appreciable manner.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know a lot about finance but I get the sense that Swiss banking has been successful for, uh, somewhat subtler reasons

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Anyway I don't know enough about this, and I'm just interpreting the fact that the British economy hasn't collapsed yet as the whole thing being so complicated that literally nobody knows what's going to happen or what the fallout will really be in the event of no deal.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 2, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know a lot about finance but I get the sense that Swiss banking has been successful for, uh, somewhat subtler reasons

A Tory government under bojo would absolutely turn the UK into, in the words of Jezza, a bargain basement tax haven.

Edit, this just came out today: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/02/boris-johnson-plans-six-singapore-style-tax-free-zones-around/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in 2 years after the current manager has sailed away to a better job the new manager will have to hire a consultant at like $300/hour to fix it

that's like measurable tech debt accumulation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

is it really that much of a dive? i visited last year for work and really enjoyed the city

it's nice to visit but northern ireland in general is The South, But Europe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

giant's causeway is cooler than any natural wonder in the south though

well. deep south.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

it's illegal to trade swiss stocks in the eu or something right now because the eu has refused to let them keep some of their banking "traditions" and still count as having equivalent rules to the eu

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

good luck with that

Except the City cut a deal long since to deal with that?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

feedmegin posted:

the thing you need other than trading securities and stuff is workers

well, bankers

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol massive red flag

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

feedmegin posted:

can't be bothered to check the details now, but p. sure the deal is just "existing instruments will be treated according to the legal framework in effect when they were issued", here filtered through insufferable editorializing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

and programmers say they don't need a union

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unions won’t actually help with companies not know what position they’re hiring for

“oh uh we didn’t actually need a master plumber after all we just needed a laborer”

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

lol massive red flag

yeah it's why i've been starting the process to get out of here - not least the fact that i'm a react dev and they have me working on php stuff 90% of the time

literally hiring a guy who will break so much poo poo that i have to fix in addition to my current job that is not in my job description

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think if programming became unionised I would almost certainly become an independent contractor. Being strapped into the same pay grade as the useless guy across the hall would kind of suck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do you think the rock makes the same amount of money as an extra?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think the rock is definitely a world class movie star known by literally billions of people globally

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My gf works in a hospital and it's all unionised, and being someone who just joined recently she is not eligible to take the holidays she wants if someone with greater tenure wants that date, so she basically never gets Christmas off etc. And her pay is also heavily tied to her tenure regardless of how hard she works.

Get a better union you say? Until the union demands they are the only union allowed in your workplace.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how do you think that would work if there wasn't a union there?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just saying be careful what you wish for. If you're in a position to outcompete 95% of the garbage universities are churning out nowadays then it's unlikely being part of a union is in your personal financial interests.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Two things

First, everyone thinks they're in that 5 percent you're referring to, but most people aren't

Second, if it helps that large a percentage of people you're damned straight I want more equitable pay, wtf

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Just saying be careful what you wish for. If you're in a position to outcompete 95% of the garbage universities are churning out nowadays then it's unlikely being part of a union is in your personal financial interests.

95% of people do not get hired. just like over 95% of college athletes don't get union jobs at the NBA/NFL. unions are more than capable of operating in highly selective environments with high gaps between paygrades

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You might have a different opinion but I just don't see unions as being any more virtuous or incapable of being totally corrupt and cronyist as the worst organizations. I've known people including some in my family be blacklisted from unions for speaking out against their policies and then not able to get a job anywhere that union is present. YMMV though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and people are routinely blackballed from entire industries for whisteblowing or disagreeing with policies or even reporting a crime

a union is at least pretending to look out for you, thats a step above HR and management's job which is to look out for the company

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

unions aren't perfect? well might as well just give up on the whole concept I guess. oh well at least we didn't try

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

unions aren't perfect? well might as well just give up on the whole concept I guess. oh well at least we didn't try

I'm just questioning the "need" part. We're in a high demand six figure industry. Do you really think the reason unions aren't in tech is because people don't know about them? Or perhaps it's because there isn't actually a need right now? But hey let's shoehorn them in there because I guess the guy requesting 150k yearly didn't get one job.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, the reason is capitalist overlords.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

I'm just questioning the "need" part. We're in a high demand six figure industry. Do you really think the reason unions aren't in tech is because people don't know about them? Or perhaps it's because there isn't actually a need right now? But hey let's shoehorn them in there because I guess the guy requesting 150k yearly didn't get one job.

lol

dude tech labor is exploited just as any other type of labor. you're putting the cart in front of the horse here. unions haven't moved in because it's both a very new industry and because the difficulty of finding qualified candidates has forced them into paying high wages. that isn't out of the goodness of their hearts and they definitely could be paying more. those high wages have caused tech workers to look around and feel content because at least they don't have it as bad as everyone else so they don't want to rock the boat. we definitely hold massive leverage if we decided to act collectively though. imagine if banking tech workers went on strike and shut down the servers.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the appalling burnout rate and of women and minorities leaving continuously, compounded with brain dead interviews probably warrants unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

no, the reason would be "no poach" agreements and fixed salaries between tech majors, uncompensated on call time, excessive working hours, a lack of adequate facilities (ie, cramming so many people into a building that there aren't enough bathrooms), etc. in short:

silvergoose posted:

No, the reason is capitalist overlords.