Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like a good prank, but anything that actually makes someone fear for their life is taking it too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

How the gently caress would you still marry someone who did that to you and still associate with anyone else in on the "gag"? That's a prime loving :sever: moment right there.

According to the last line, he's decided to find some way to get revenge on his friends' weddings. I can't imagine what worse thing he's going to do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

According to the last line, he's decided to find some way to get revenge on his friends' weddings. I can't imagine what worse thing he's going to do.

Actually kill one of them?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I felt really sorry for that guy until he was all like “yeah I’ll just escalate the prank war further”, like, what the poo poo? Clearly he’s into it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mormon kids do stuff like that to ask each other to prom, there was a This American Life about it featuring a very similar scenario

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

quote:

The causative agent for shingles is the varicella zoster virus (VZV) – a double-stranded DNA virus related to the herpes simplex virus. Most individuals are infected with this virus as children which causes an episode of chickenpox. The immune system eventually eliminates the virus from most locations, but it remains dormant (or latent) in the ganglia adjacent to the spinal cord (called the dorsal root ganglion) or the trigeminal ganglion in the base of the skull.[30]

Shingles occurs only in people who have been previously infected with VZV; although it can occur at any age, approximately half of the cases in the United States occur in those aged 50 years or older.[31] Repeated attacks of shingles are rare,[17] and it is extremely rare for a person to have more than three recurrences.[30]

The disease results from virus particles in a single sensory ganglion switching from their latent lysogenic cycles to their active lytic cycles.[32] In contrast to the herpes simplex virus, the latency of VZV is poorly understood. The virus has never been successfully recovered from human nerve cells by cell culture. Virus-specific proteins continue to be made by the infected cells during the latent period, so true latency, as opposed to chronic, low-level, active infection, has not been proven to occur in VZV infections.[33][34] Although VZV has been detected in autopsies of nervous tissue,[35] there are no methods to find dormant virus in the ganglia of living people.

Unless the immune system is compromised, it suppresses reactivation of the virus and prevents shingles outbreaks. Why this suppression sometimes fails is poorly understood,[36] but shingles is more likely to occur in people whose immune systems are impaired due to aging, immunosuppressive therapy, psychological stress, or other factors.[37][38] Upon reactivation, the virus replicates in neuronal cell bodies, and virions are shed from the cells and carried down the axons to the area of skin innervated by that ganglion. In the skin, the virus causes local inflammation and blistering. The short- and long-term pain caused by shingles outbreaks originates from inflammation of affected nerves due to the widespread growth of the virus in those areas.[39]

As with chickenpox and other forms of alpha-herpesvirus infection, direct contact with an active rash can spread the virus to a person who lacks immunity to it. This newly infected individual may then develop chickenpox, but will not immediately develop shingles.[17]

Nature is messed up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Collapsing Farts posted:

Abloo abloo I was calling out someones BS and then said that punching a guy was stupid. I didn't know he was a nazi. I literally in the same post said that they should focus on punchis nazis instead

I feel really bad. I started watching “Call the midwife” and there is a very tall, awkward, clumsy character and I honestly thought at first she was a TiM, either a TiM character or actor. But it isn’t, it’s a woman. This is what they are doing; making non-typical women appear to be Men. I feel ashamed.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oof, LoB, maybe something a little more light than terfery?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Why is there so much debate over whether “Under God” should be in the pledge? I know the pledge didn’t have it, and we only added it during the red scare, but if someone wants to say the pledge that way, let them! If someone wants to say the original pledge without “Under God,” let them! It’s such a petty thing when there are bigger problems to tackle.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Boy, that guy from a few pages ago is just another example of why "log off and step back for a bit" is always a much better strategy than "post through the pain".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The way TERFs get all Witchfinder General about any lady who is over 5’4” and angular is extremely Idiot on Social Media.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Katt posted:

Nature is messed up.

I had a case of shingles at age 31. One thing that quoted block doesn't mention is that shingles only ever affects one side of the body. Mine affected the right-hand side of my torso and it was incredibly sensitive to touch, but the left-handed side was completely fine. I didn't go through a stressful activity to trigger it, I just have a hosed up body.

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1013992704756387841

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Chicken pox is kind of horrifying, even for a herpes virus, and I fully support stressing the "the virus inserts its genome into your nerve cells and then goes dormant for years while your cells dutifully replicate the viral DNA as they multiply until years later, when everything wakes up and goes to town and if it's on the wrong part of your body you can easily lose an eye" bit until maybe people clue into, oh yeah maybe this harmless childhood disease is a thing we should vaccinate against.

Related hypothesis: a casual survey of friends and acquaintances suggests to me that most people who have had chicken pox were too young to remember it much. I was five, I remember it, and it loving sucked.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Shingles can be bilateral, though it is very rare :gonk:

It can also be disseminated, i.e., all over the body like chicken pox all over again, but with the extra treat of agonizing nerve pain.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AlbieQuirky posted:

The way TERFs get all Witchfinder General about any lady who is over 5’4” and angular is extremely Idiot on Social Media.
I am well aware, but FART s and their rhetoric can be upaettingly exhausting, especially when they're particularly active.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"It is better to be the victim of injustice rather commit an injustice." As a father of three girls and a son, I would want my daughter or granddaughter to bear the child and so would all my children. The horror of rape, and for one of such an innocent age, is truly a great and terrible nightmare. But to kill the innocent child conceived is also a great horror. These rare events should not be used as a justification for infanticide.

It is a very, very difficult and heartbreaking situation. It is easy to feel the emotional pull and abandon or exchange clear and luminous moral principles like the Socratic Dictum to avoid the beneficial disvalue of pain, suffering and even death. But as soon as we violate the moral "ought" for a beneficial value, we have no way back to sane moral judgment All decisions become subjective not an objective(ought) imperative. In other words, therefore, anything goes and all becomes amoral action. And notice how the author of the Tribune piece wants to use this difficult case to legitimize a wider application for abortion.

If you recall that in class I tried to establish an objective moral guide. The nature of the "Good" is key. The whole point is to avoid the Trolley problem and rest in Truth.

Yes, the 3rd option by all means. I meant the confusion and the fear that arises from moral confusion. Sadly, in this world, one might take the "moral trolley " but only to find injustice when arriving at the destination. In fact, that is often the case. Good people suffer for heroic acts. I hope the C-section is an option for the little girl. There are other moral treatments depending on how the pregnancy develops. Some are very sad, "double effect" is one sad moral choice that loses the baby.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I had shingles at 22. It was the most miserable, painful thing ive ever experienced and i basically live in the dread knowledge that it will flare up again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband had shingles at 19. It was awful, I couldn't do anything to help him and he was really suffering.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

Chicken pox is kind of horrifying, even for a herpes virus, and I fully support stressing the "the virus inserts its genome into your nerve cells and then goes dormant for years while your cells dutifully replicate the viral DNA as they multiply until years later, when everything wakes up and goes to town and if it's on the wrong part of your body you can easily lose an eye" bit until maybe people clue into, oh yeah maybe this harmless childhood disease is a thing we should vaccinate against.

Related hypothesis: a casual survey of friends and acquaintances suggests to me that most people who have had chicken pox were too young to remember it much. I was five, I remember it, and it loving sucked.

I've got shingles in the toes and it comes back pretty regularly. For loving years I thought I just had bad, untreatable athlete's foot or something.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I am well aware, but FART s and their rhetoric can be upaettingly exhausting, especially when they're particularly active.

Agree. I like that LoB had a lighter palate-cleanser to follow. LoB, anything from flat-Earthers in your queue?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Byzantine posted:

I had shingles at 22. It was the most miserable, painful thing ive ever experienced and i basically live in the dread knowledge that it will flare up again.

Same. :smith::hf::smith: I panicked because I thought it was a bad reaction to some new medication I was on, and ran to the ER. The doctor took one look, laughed, and told me it was shingles. Not a comforting response.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having JUST spent a month sloooowwwwly getting over the results of carrying several big armloads of what turned out to be poison ivy into the woods behind my house, this last page has been uuuuhhhh a journey

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

RoboRodent posted:

15. I was so sick that I couldn't play videogames. That has never happened before or since.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If that "don't beat up Nazis if I can't tell from a glance that they're Nazis" dude shows up again, remember that this exists now: :centrism:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love viruses, they own our immune system so much. There is so little we can do against most of them, it's fascinating.

But yeah hiding in your nerves and coming back out when you're stressed or otherwise weakened is pretty classic for herpes viruses. This has actually been an important tool back in the day to understand the concept that nerves innervating a certain zone of the body all originate from one ganglion, since the resurgence of the virus always affects a very specific part of the body, the region innervated by that ganglion.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

PurpleXVI posted:

How the gently caress would you still marry someone who did that to you and still associate with anyone else in on the "gag"? That's a prime loving :sever: moment right there.

He lives in Devon, so it'd be terribly awkward if he didn't marry her and then still had to see her at every family event afterwards.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I don't think herpes goes into your genome, it just hangs out in the cell.

HIV and hep, now those fuckers go in your genome.

Chicken pox is horrendous the older you are, even without shingles, so much so that "chicken pox parties" used to be a thing so you could infect your toddler nice and early. I once read about chicken pox lollipops too, just to be sure.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
HIV and other retroviruses yes, though the influx of new gene sequences can actually be an evolutive boon for the host species.

Hep doesn't mean too much because the different hepatitis viruses are actually very diverse and belong to completely different viral families. They also don't integrate their genome into the host cell, instead subsisting episomally (see cccDNA for HepB for example, HepB has the weirdest genome and replication cycle it's great).

Sometime you get freak occurrences where you do have integration of a viral genome into the host genome, but the only viruses that do it routinely are retroviruses.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jul 2, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm not American so I have no stakes in your stupid country

Boy howdy do you have no idea how the world works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zesty posted:

Boy howdy do you have no idea how the world works.

I can't imagine how America's decision have any impact on people in other countries *surrounded by a half million Iraqi ghosts*

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I had chickenpox when I was 26. It was insanely lovely and I have scars all over my body now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine how America's decision have any impact on people in other countries *surrounded by a half million Iraqi ghosts*

In a twist nobody could have seen coming, it turns out the poster with over a dozen probations for being a huge idiot is actually a huge idiot.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My brother got shingles. He was a dude with one of those crazy high pain tolerances. I watched him loving cry. gently caress that noise.
I got Chicken Pox twice. First time was like, 3 days of being comfortably itchy. Time 2 put me in the hospital.
You can get chicken pox pretty much anywhere and everywhere.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Measles fucks you up so bad your immune system takes a long time to completely recover, leaving you with a greater susceptibility of dying from a secondary infection for literal years after getting over the measles.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Jul 3, 2019

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

PurpleXVI posted:

Russia is weird as gently caress especially when it comes to dating and marriage. A popular thing in Russia right now is for women to keep a "gratitude journal" all about how lucky they are that a man has gifted them the privilege of being in a relationship. :smith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:nws: :nms: :nws:
https://i.imgur.com/t6bMm1U.jpg

Tag yourself I'm cummy worms.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm the little bean

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kai Tave posted:

In a twist nobody could have seen coming, it turns out the poster with over a dozen probations for being a huge idiot is actually a huge idiot.

I’m blindsided

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just read the dude in this thread going "Hey guys maybe punching Nazis isn't that good. Oh I didn't know he was a Nazi. Well now I am just saying he was punched AND kicked. Why are you being mean to me?" etc. and so on.

To be clear, I do NOT want to respond to him or that particular derail at all. But it got me thinking about that phenomena.

But poo poo like that happens all the time on the internet. Someone makes a stupid comment, gets called out on it, and then doubles down, moves goalposts, claims to be the victim, makes 17 posts all the while claiming "I don't care, you are putting more effort into this than me" etc. All in an effort to avoid admitting they were wrong. It very rarely ends well for them. And they rarely save the face they so desperately want to.

All of which could be avoided with either a 1)"Whoops, I was wrong/misspoke. Sorry about that." and moving on. or 2)realizing they are getting shat on, and leaving it alone and letting their minor slip up/idiocy be forgotten, (because in truth it usually is a tiny thing that nobody cares that much about).

Both of those responses would allow the person to remain cool/friends with the group, would allow them to learn about their mistake, and everybody moves on happily.

So I suppose my question is, why can't people admit they were wrong anymore? Especially over small things, coz it seems to me taht the smaller the mistake, the harder the doubling down and defensiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/NRCC/status/1146125706340052992

Repubs keep tripping over their dicks with Rapinoe.