Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BFC goony goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I don't think anyone talking about tlh here is selling/buying the same fund/stock, but I could be wrong.

Same fund/stock is not possible in the first place because the broker both reports it to the IRS as well as disallows it in the year end tax forms.

The compliance burden is for near identical with different CUSIP

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Anybody know anything about Primerica? I guess they get your debt in order. My sister met with them and they told her to get an "insurance license" for $50 that she pays once and never again. She then recommends them to her friends in which Primerica meets with them to get their debt in order and my sister gets $300. Is this a MLM/scam? My knee-jerk reactions says yes, but I was curious if anybody here knows anything about them?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Loucks posted:

I too self-report my crimes on public forums. :downs:

This site has an entire forum dedicated purely to self-reporting crimes :drugnerd:

In my case I traded VTSAX>VFIAX and VTMGX>VTIAX, but even if I'd done something like VTSAX>ITOT, I'd still feel perfectly comfortable with that action being scrutinized by the IRS.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kylaer posted:

This site has an entire forum dedicated purely to self-reporting crimes :drugnerd:

You’re not wrong, but it’s not like most places give a drat about weed specifically. Federal descheduling is a matter of when, not if. 🤷‍♂️

But from memory those trades seem safe. Good job not committing tax fraud!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anybody know anything about Primerica? I guess they get your debt in order. My sister met with them and they told her to get an "insurance license" for $50 that she pays once and never again. She then recommends them to her friends in which Primerica meets with them to get their debt in order and my sister gets $300. Is this a MLM/scam? My knee-jerk reactions says yes, but I was curious if anybody here knows anything about them?
Yeah, scammy scam scam. Primerica is one of the cultiest MLMs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Lowtax needs a visit from the t-men to balance out the visit from the g-men.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a few thousand in a trading account sitting idle, I sold Tesla a while ago. I was stupidly waiting for a crash, I know, don't time the markets, but yeah I was doing that. Not sure if I should put it all into an index fund now or put like 500/month or something like that, in so as to potentially offset some kind of loss. Also what index fund? And what trading account company? Is Etrade ok or is there a problem with it?

edit:

Also I have money from a few different companies at this point, in 401k's in a few different places. Should I try to roll them all into my current 401k? One of them only gives the option of rolling over into a .... roth IRA or something. I don't know what is going on.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 2, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

redreader posted:

I've got a few thousand in a trading account sitting idle, I sold Tesla a while ago. I was stupidly waiting for a crash, I know, don't time the markets, but yeah I was doing that. Not sure if I should put it all into an index fund now or put like 500/month or something like that, in so as to potentially offset some kind of loss. Also what index fund? And what trading account company? Is Etrade ok or is there a problem with it?
How soon do you need the money?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Hoodwinker posted:

How soon do you need the money?

This is money I don't need short term. So in maybe 20-30 years.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

redreader posted:

This is money I don't need short term. So in maybe 20-30 years.
Do you already max out your IRA? If you don't, it might make sense to put it into a better vehicle first.

As for company, either Vanguard or Fidelity or Schwab are generally regarded as all pretty reliable. They each have their own low-cost indexes for the total market. Most people recommend Vanguard because of the corporate structure. If that was the case, you'd buy VTSAX or VTWAX and call it a day.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Hoodwinker posted:

Do you already max out your IRA? If you don't, it might make sense to put it into a better vehicle first.

As for company, either Vanguard or Fidelity or Schwab are generally regarded as all pretty reliable. They each have their own low-cost indexes for the total market. Most people recommend Vanguard because of the corporate structure. If that was the case, you'd buy VTSAX or VTWAX and call it a day.

I don't really know anything about that. So no!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

redreader posted:

I don't really know anything about that. So no!
You will find much of that information in the OP.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I had an advisor recommend that I stick to vanguard ETFs instead of mutual funds for tax efficiency, if you're working with a taxable account, given the fewer distributions. How do people feel about that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

I had an advisor recommend that I stick to vanguard ETFs instead of mutual funds for tax efficiency, if you're working with a taxable account, given the fewer distributions. How do people feel about that?

It's not a huge difference, but your advisor is correct.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Doesn't Vanguard have a system to negate that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hoodwinker posted:

Is there any disadvantage to buying a vanguard ETF vs one of those funds?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there any disadvantage to buying a vanguard ETF vs one of those funds?
You can't buy fractional shares and some other minor details but not really. I think you also can't automate ETF purchases the way you can with mutual funds but I might be misremembering.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

H110Hawk posted:

It's not. You're beholden to $19k on elective contributions, $56k total regardless of how many plans you have. The loophole here is that your self employment sets up a rule for its employee that the 401(k) isn't optional, and that X% (100?) of your earnings are deposited into it. Now you are contributing against the space between $19k and $56k as it's "non-elective." So you could do, for example, $19k at your current employer, they match in $2k, and this leaves you with available space for your self employement of up to $35k.
I'm curious if someone can elaborate on this. I tried googling for "solo 401k mandatory contribution" but it didn't turn up a whole lot that seemed relevant.

This is a mandatory contribution from your pay, not one out of the employer's pocket, right? I found references from a few solo 401(k) providers about mandatory contributions from the employer, and those seem to be limited to like, 25% of compensation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

More annuities in 401(k)'s generally doesn't seem like a great idea.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/if-annuities-come-to-your-401k-savings-plan-heres-what-to-know.html

E: Robinhood too good to be true...

https://amp.insider.com/robinhood-millennial-trading-app-ignored-rules-checking-and-savings-2019-7

Full article is behind a pay wall

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 4, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I'm curious if someone can elaborate on this. I tried googling for "solo 401k mandatory contribution" but it didn't turn up a whole lot that seemed relevant.

This is a mandatory contribution from your pay, not one out of the employer's pocket, right? I found references from a few solo 401(k) providers about mandatory contributions from the employer, and those seem to be limited to like, 25% of compensation.

Seems you're correct - 25% is the cap. There is an example in this document: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/retirement/self-employed-401k

quote:

The highlight of the Self-Employed 401(k) is the ability to contribute to the plan in two ways. For 2018, as an employee, you can make salary deferral contributions equal to the lesser of $18,500, or 100% of your compensation. For 2019, it goes up to $19,000. If you're at least 50 years old, your savings options are even higher because you can add an extra $6,000 in catch-up contributions each year.

Then, as the employer, you can make a contribution of up to 25% of your compensation each year, up to a maximum of $55,000 in 2018 and $56,000 in 2019 in combined contributions each year (if you are over 50, your combined employee and employer annual contributions can't exceed $61,000 for 2018 and $62,000 for 2019).

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

You can't buy fractional shares and some other minor details but not really. I think you also can't automate ETF purchases the way you can with mutual funds but I might be misremembering.

This depends on the broker. I use M1 for my taxable and Roth IRA. You can automate deposits and buy fractional shares of any ETF or stock.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006
I would like to open a backdoor Roth IRA. I am single and my income this year precludes opening the regular Roth. I have two pre-existing 401k accounts that have not been rolled into IRAs (only mentioning here in case this is relevant.) I am following along with a fairly detailed guide at https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/.

1. Being that I don't already have a traditional IRA, does the general process consist of open a traditional IRA, make an initial contribution with non-deductible funds, and then immediately convert to Roth?
2. Assuming my salary remains the same, is there a known method to contributing to this Roth IRA? From what I understand, there are no income limits on IRA->Roth conversion, but it seems that I am barred from making any contributions directly to a Roth IRA regardless.
3. If the answer to the above is "no", can I create another IRA next year and perform the conversion? Can I combine the 2020 Roth account with the 2019 Roth account?

ya dangus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 4, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Open TIRA, put in $6000, push button on vanguard to roll it over to Roth, do this once a year. It is pretty easy.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

ya dangus posted:

I would like to open a backdoor Roth IRA. I am single and my income this year precludes opening the regular Roth. I only have a two 401k IRAs. I am following along with a fairly detailed guide at https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/.

What do you mean by “401k IRA”? If you mean 401k rolled over to an IRA then you can’t just do a backdoor Roth. If you do, you’ll be subjected to the pro rata rule and things will get messy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Adhemar posted:

What do you mean by “401k IRA”? If you mean 401k rolled over to an IRA then you can’t just do a backdoor Roth. If you do, you’ll be subjected to the pro rata rule and things will get messy.

Good point. I was also confused by that. If you rolled the old 401k into a rollover IRA then you should check your current 401k (if you have one) to see if you can roll it in before doing the back door Roth.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Adhemar posted:

Sorry that was stupid mistake on my part - fixed original post. I think I just had "IRA" on the brain. I meant to say that the only retirement investment accounts I have are two 401ks. I did not roll either into an IRA.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

ya dangus posted:

Sorry that was stupid mistake on my part - fixed original post. I think I just had "IRA" on the brain. I meant to say that the only retirement investment accounts I have are two 401ks. I did not roll either into an IRA.

Ah ok. Then you’re all set and can just do what spwrozek said.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

H110Hawk posted:

Seems you're correct - 25% is the cap. There is an example in this document: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/retirement/self-employed-401k
I've actually been looking into this recently and it seems like the only way around the elective deferral limit for a solo 401(k) is:
- Employer contributions (this requires you to pay yourself a massive salary, however).
- Nondeductible after-tax contributions (has to be specifically elected in the plan agreement; generally not the default).

If I'm missing anything, I'd love to hear.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I've actually been looking into this recently and it seems like the only way around the elective deferral limit for a solo 401(k) is:
- Employer contributions (this requires you to pay yourself a massive salary, however
If you're self employed, it's all pass through income, there's no "salary" required. You can contribute 25% of your self employment profit with some roundabout calculation that actually takes you down to 20% of profit. Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

moana posted:

If you're self employed, it's all pass through income, there's no "salary" required. You can contribute 25% of your self employment profit with some roundabout calculation that actually takes you down to 20% of profit. Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking?
Sorry, I was thinking in the context of an owner-only company.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sorry, I was thinking in the context of an owner-only company.
Yeah, that's the same as being self employed / sole proprietorship. Any income will have to be distributed and taxed, whether as salary or otherwise, and so you can use it all as earned income to qualify for your solo401k limit.

In order to hit the max, you will need to be making around 200k profit.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

That's crazy. Is that true of all of their funds pretty much, so I shouldn't even bother with ETFs?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Only if you don't wanna be an elite pro mid day dip trading xxxsniperxxx investor. But yeah, just do whatever is more convenient for you.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Depending on the amount you have available to invest, you may not be able to afford the initial purchase of Admiral shares, in which case the equivalent ETF would get you a slightly lower expense ratio than the normal shares.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

moana posted:

Yeah, that's the same as being self employed / sole proprietorship. Any income will have to be distributed and taxed, whether as salary or otherwise, and so you can use it all as earned income to qualify for your solo401k limit.
In this case, though, you can have separate compensation and profit streams. (Both are taxed, although differently.)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Depending on the amount you have available to invest, you may not be able to afford the initial purchase of Admiral shares, in which case the equivalent ETF would get you a slightly lower expense ratio than the normal shares.
Normal shares aren't a thing anymore. It's all admiral, starting at $3k.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess those ETFs are for people that don't have $3,000 saved up.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Some of the ETFs have smaller ER than the admiral funds. VTI is 0.03% whereas VTSAX is 0.04%. But a difference of 1bp is really not worth switching your portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

In this case, though, you can have separate compensation and profit streams. (Both are taxed, although differently.)
In what case? Are you incorporated? Most single owner businesses have all pass through income. Imo it only makes sense to incorporate at the 300k+ mark, there's just not that much benefit to avoiding payroll taxes especially with the new QBI and with the tax savings from stuffing a solo401k.