Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And my new black mostly-Strat-shaped thing.

1987 Korean Squier Bullet 1. The yellow is all tape, not sure what's underneath that, need to get it all cleaned off. The neck feels awesome, which is typical of the early Korean Squiers. And it has a thick tremelo block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

widefault posted:

And my new black mostly-Strat-shaped thing.

1987 Korean Squier Bullet 1. The yellow is all tape, not sure what's underneath that, need to get it all cleaned off. The neck feels awesome, which is typical of the early Korean Squiers. And it has a thick tremelo block

T H I C C

I just got this thing.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit:
I updated to Ableton Live Lite 10 and everything just magically works. :iia:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 4, 2019

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A few months ago the guitar thread's non-stop gushing over the THR10 coupled with a good price on a used one convinced me that I needed a "living room amp" (and yeah, it's an incredible piece of gear, especially for the price).

A month or two later I went to a local guitar show. I got dangerously close to buying a pelham blue Firebird to match my pelham blue Les Paul but managed to distract myself with a couple of used pedals instead, a JHS Morning Glory and an Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander. I really dig the MG as a boost/low-gain OD and it's getting close to becoming an "always-on" pedal when I'm noodling blues pentatonic stuff or playing Chuck Berry. The Bit Commander does a surprisingly good job as a fuzz pedal with the octaver stuff and filter turned off but it really shines when I've built up a loop that I like and want to just gently caress poo poo up over it with crazy noises. I need to get my Minilogue out and see what happens when I run a synth into a synth pedal.

Most recently, I'd been wanting a new strat to partscaster and everyone's been going crazy for the Squier Classic Vibe stuff, so when I found a lightly used emerald green one for $260 with local pickup on reverb I pounced. I'll join the chorus of people singing the CV praises, I can't believe this is a $400 guitar. My other strat is an early 90s MIK Squier that cost about the same in 90s money and it's total garbage. I keep it around for sentimental reasons but I never play it and I'm scared to get it wet because I'm pretty sure the body is made out of cardboard and sawdust and glue. I'm still going to partscaster this new CV, I want a rosewood or ebony fretboard with a compound radius on it and may swap the pups and do a blend knob mod but I'm not in as big a hurry to start replacing stuff as I thought I'd be.

Dr. Faustus posted:

E: Meanwhile all my guitar playing is done here in front of my TV playing along with TrueFire courses and my THR-10 next to my chair, and my MIM Tele.

Me too, friend. Me too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lawen posted:

Me too, friend. Me too.
I love that guitar, the cosmetics are gorgeous. Also, I hope you're learning as much as I am from the courses because I feel so young and excited doing these courses. My left hand hates me but I am teaching it that I am still the boss.

High five!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The block is huge, yeah, but the spring mount holes are dangerously thin and the loving thing seems like it's made of pewter. Two of the walls busted on mine, so I blocked it off a couple years ago and made it vastly more playable. Granted, mine's a Squier II and not a Bullet, but still. Looks like the exact same block.

block block block block

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to the Yamaha gang, buddy! :hfive:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Someone offered me this in exchange for my Fender Deville (which I was supposed to sell to cover the cost of the Vox) aaaaand now I'm torn.

Can't find an MSRP or review on this particular one online though.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

I have three noisy new friends and their buddy who feeds them power.

Next up choosing stuff to get things sounding weird.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And it's Friday, so of course there's another purchase.

Late 90's Squier Affinity Duo-Sonic.

Very short scale neck.

I've got a Squier Mini-Strat that is the same scale length, and somehow the Duo-Sonic feels way smaller.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I had no idea there were reissues of the 22.5" Duosonic, you usually only see 24" ones. That's cool.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I guess technically this one is supposed to be 22.7", but it's dead on 22.5" from the middle saddle to nut with the intonation as good as it's going to get.

There was also a Mexican made Fender version from 1993-1997, which was dropped for the Squier Affinity which was dropped by 1999. Everything since then has been 24".

DrChu
May 14, 2002

widefault posted:

I guess technically this one is supposed to be 22.7", but it's dead on 22.5" from the middle saddle to nut with the intonation as good as it's going to get.

Take the measurement from nut to 12th fret and double it, it won’t be variable like using a saddle.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

DrChu posted:

Take the measurement from nut to 12th fret and double it, it won’t be variable like using a saddle.

Well, duh, I even measured it that way then promptly forgot.

And if I go by that, 22-11/16", 22.6875", then round up to 22.7" because people don't understand fractions.

Cleaned it up, put on a fresh set of strings(D'Addario 10s) and did a quick setup. Action at 4/64 and could probably go lower, and that's with the neck way straighter than I usually like it. Intonation as good as it can get, and I didn't have to adjust from where it was by more than 1/4 turn of the screws. Still feels really small compared to the Mini-Strat. Pots don't crackle, which is impressive for a 21 year old guitar as dirty as this one was. Switch is a little noisy, and the pickups are typical Chinese ceramics, but it doesn't sound half bad.

Of course as soon as I bend a string in the slightest it goes out of tune because the tuners are garbage

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you hear a "ping" sound while tuning, try lubricating the nut/saddles/string trees before writing off the tuners. It costs nothing and if it works you'll save $40 or whatever new ones cost.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They are easily the worst tuners I've ever dealt with. Bend hard enough and you can see them unwind, yet you almost need a pliers to turn them. I'll grab another set of knockoff Klusons from Amazon like I did for my Affinity Tele.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Not big news but my two Blackstar HT-110s are on the way and I can't wait to hear them in my stereo rig. I should have all the gear Tuesday but with work and everything, it may be next weekend before I can show them off.

I'd very much like to make a recording for you all but that may be difficult due to new PCs and the tiny apartment. At least they are on the way!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They showed up a day early (awesome) but the speaker cables still don't get here until tomorrow (not awesome.)

But I have a picture of how it all looks and I can't wait to pull up a chair between them and sit down and let the extra speaker frontage surround me with love. So, that's why nothing is powered on because I won't put that big orange plug into the wall before the cabs are properly connected to the 2x16Ω speaker outputs.

I kinda feel like I have hit a sweet spot in terms of where I am with my tube gear. I mean, yes it was inspired by the discovery of the Blackstar HT-5H head, and I was very careful with my choice of effects (since I went with pedals instead of rack effects) and I'm really happy with the little Peavey and Blackstar heads together; because they complement each other so well. I may have to record some clips and see what you guys think. I do believe you could bring your guitar and your favorite pedals in this little rig would cover just about any style you need it to.

These cabinets have proven to have great construction and I like the Celestion speakers in them, I think they sound very beefy and full, even for their size.

It's like a cool compromise where I get to keep running a rig in stereo but I don't need hand-trucks and vans to move it around if I want to . (Although I do need to make a pedalboard!) I'm just too old and tired for all that heavy 4x12" stuff (though if I had a house to put them in I would love that poo poo, and this is a rig I can mix-and-match components based on where I am taking it and why.

This picture, albeit stuck in the corner of a tiny old nasty apartment, makes me unreasonably happy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You need to build yourself a pedal board.
Maybe with a dickwindowmonkey grip.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schecter Strat is dope.

edit: Those effects and that stereo setup is pretty much just pure psychedelic bliss but that probably says more about me than anything.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 9, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those stacks look great. :swoon:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I got some new pedals:

Although this wasn't my plan it turns out this combo does a decent second-wave black metal sound:
https://soundcloud.com/animereference/topanganian-hunger/s-SrN1g

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Left new, right old:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hot dog. My HoF Mini arrived early.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New old strap

Has a buckle and the narrower piece of leather for adjustment, rather than the slide I'm used to seeing. Not a terrible strap to use, unlike the other "vintage" ones I have. Shiny "leather" doesn't stay in place with a neck heavy guitar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Those straps are very cool. ^^^

I made a couple posts in the Amp thread about the fact my little Peavey Classic 20 only has one speaker output and I was trying to decide how to handle this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324265&pagenumber=111#post496594284

and I chose to go with:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324265&pagenumber=111#post496622877

And this is the speaker cable splitter that is arriving tomorrow.

I'm holding off on playing the rig until I get the speaker cable connection sorted on the Peavey, I don't want to risk using crappy components.

That said, I do very much appreciate the kind words guys and I have a good buddy bringing some guitars over Sunday and we are going to get un-neighborly about it. I still want to promise you guys some recordings. I just don't want to risk using crap plastic y-splitters on the speaker out of my Peavey. I can use this, set it to 8Ω, and carry on.

Stand by for updates.

Like I said, these new cabinets look like they never left anyone's house. They are pristine. I'm so stoked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
xpost from the Audio Interface thread. I bought an MPC2000XL with the output expansion card, so natch I needed more inputs, so I bought a Focusrite OctoPre. Spent a few hours last night tearing my studio up and putting it back together again. Not pictured: 36TB RAID enclosure and USB3 PCI card I also recently bought and put together during the studio rebuild.

now to jump back into making musichahahahahaahaha

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I love that that picture looks awesome and I don't even know what that stuff is.

I mean, I don't love that but at least you guys do! Looks beautiful.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder if people have any idea about how creative the people are who make the tools that creative people are creative with. I am so blown away by this all the time (when I’m not eye-rolling at the “latest” pedal that is a fuzz face rehash).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I wonder if people have any idea about how creative the people are who make the tools that creative people are creative with. I am so blown away by this all the time (when I’m not eye-rolling at the “latest” pedal that is a fuzz face rehash).

I think about this a lot. It’s awesome. Creative humans are the absolute best.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Its my life's dream to make a small batch fuzz face rehash that turns the sound of a guitar into a room clearing fart.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

monolithburger posted:

Its my life's dream to make a small batch fuzz face rehash that turns the sound of a guitar into a room clearing fart.

label the two knobs wet and chunky

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
No new pics, just a crosspost from the Amp thread:

quote:

Just a quick post to describe the process:

I got my speaker-cable Y-splitter today and I hooked the two Blackstart HT-110 cabs to the Peavey. Turned it on and dialed in a thick, crunchy, fat tone. Not too much bass, a good amount of mids (I am a firm believer that guitar sounds need mids well-represented,) then setting the treble a little higher than normal because I am an old and my hearing has suffered a little. Then I dialed it back to be a little dark for that reason. Don't want to sound shrill!

Put the Peavey on standby and did the same with the Blackstar stack.

Then I turned them both on and set the volumes so Left and Right are nicely balanced.

And it's loving stereo rig nirvana over there now. I'm so goddamn happy with the sound. Cost about $300 in cabinets and $25 for the splitter, and about $18 in extra speaker cables. Won't post new pics because it all looks the same, but man that extra speaker frontage really helps. Those little cabinets are fantastic. I am joy.

I have one more lovely work shift then on Sunday... it's crank it up time. It's not 4x12" half-stacks, but I couldn't use those (not here anyway.) That said, I couldn't be happier unless I took out all the modulation (stereo) effects and replaced them with a Heliix or something really awesome that's rack-mountable and MIDI controlled.

I have a PODHD and should learn the trick for using it as a stereo FX box. I even have the shortboard for it. I bet that would be a good idea, too. I just don't know how yet.

I'm in love.

Honestly I wish I could invite each of you to come give it a try.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Faustus posted:

No new pics, just a crosspost from the Amp thread:

Honestly I wish I could invite each of you to come give it a try.

Nice!

Hey Faust, tell me more about that Y cable. You said it's a speaker Y-cable? Are you using tube amps, and if so, what output impedance and speaker impedances are you plugged up with?

If you're using tube amps, imbalancing that stuff too much might hurt your gear, just want to make sure stuff is plugged up like it should be.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Nice!

Hey Faust, tell me more about that Y cable. You said it's a speaker Y-cable? Are you using tube amps, and if so, what output impedance and speaker impedances are you plugged up with?

If you're using tube amps, imbalancing that stuff too much might hurt your gear, just want to make sure stuff is plugged up like it should be.
It was a speaker cable splitter made for the "Dr-Z" amp crowd. It's stout.

It a legit SPEAKER cable splitter, and it splits my two 5' 16AWG speaker cables into two 16Ω cabinets, in parallel, resulting in an 8Ω load to the amp. Luckily, the amp might only have the one speaker jack but it DOES have a 16Ω/8Ω selector switch and with both cabinets hooked up it is correctly set at 8Ω.

I've posted this above, but this is the actual splitter I bought, and I'll take a nice picture to share. It's very nicely constructed. It's called a "Horizon Custom Split Speaker Cable for Dr. Z Amps." Not surprised it's associated with the Dr. Z amps, but I needed something exactly like this but didn't know how to connect the two speaker cables to something beefy enough for 15mm of cable width. If I had the parts and patience I'd have built my own, but as I said the benefit here is everything works, the construction is solid, and I didn't have to mutilate/modify my speaker cables.

Here it is connected to my speaker cables. It works wonderfully and I don't feel any wiggle or looseness in the plugs/jacks and that always gives confidence.

Trust me, I am not trying to damage my amps (remember that time when I overheated my poor Blues Jr.? With some people my Dad knows, I will never live that down!)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 14, 2019

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I love that that picture looks awesome and I don't even know what that stuff is.

I mean, I don't love that but at least you guys do! Looks beautiful.

Allow me to help!

So, you have the top row of computer monitors. Below that, there are 3 boxes.

On the right, the thing with the green outline is a Roland TB3. It's an emulation of the Roland TB-303 which was intended as a "bassline synthesizer". Together with the TR-606 (which was a drum computer) the idea was to provide cheap accompaniment for guitar players and keyboard players who were missing a bass player and a drummer. The original TB303 was a flop; it was hard to program and didn't sound like a bass guitar at all. In the mid 80s someone got the idea to turn the knobs while playing and to run it at higher speeds, and then acid house was born. Since the originals now fetch $3K or so, clones have been made. Roland's clone is DSP-based; no analog circuitry in there.

Next is the Korg Kaoss Pad (with the shiny screen and the orange/red line). It's an effects box and instead of using knobs, you can control parameters with a touchpad. If you'd have a delay effect, up/down could be feedback and left/right could be delay time, and that way you could tweak both at the same time. I believe you can also record motion so that you can draw a circle and it'll "play back" what you've drawn. The touchpad also functions as a sort of big LCD display.

Next to that (with the Atari 2600 VCS-style wooden strip on the front) is an Access Virus TI2. It's a synthesizer and it can do classic prog rock stuff but also modern electronic dance music stuff. Again, it's all DSP-based - and invented by the same guy who now makes the Kemper Profiler amplifiers. The TI stands for "total integration" which means that you don't even have to turn the knobs on the physical device; you can do that on the computer too.

Below that are two 1U 19" rack units which are audio interfaces that allow multitrack recording into the computer.

Below that, we see two devices with rubber pads and a keyboard. The keyboard is a Novation Ultranova synthesizer; like the Virus, it's also DSP-based. Like the Virus, it can also vocode and do robot voices. DSP power is really flexible; you can basically reconfigure stuff on the fly. It likely acts as a controller as well; which means that notes played are sent to the computer, and like a telephone exchange, sent back to the Virus or TB or MPC. It can even send knob signals to the computer so turning a knob on the Ultranova causes the sound of the Virus to change.

The leftmost device with the 4x4 rubber pads is an Akai MPC 2000 XL. Under each rubber pad you can put a sample; so you can take several drum sounds and put 'm in there. However, since they're samples, you can put anything in there; snippets of songs, chords, melodies, single notes. It also has a sequencer which can record what pads you touched when, and it's been used to make countless of hip hop tracks (the video contains a grainy but really good demonstration of the process). The MPC is self-contained; it does not need a computer to make any sound. If you wanted to, you could use those pads as a very crude keyboard as well, and configure them to send notes in a scale, but that's much easier on the Push, which is next.

The device right of the MPC is the Ableton Push. This is not a self-contained device; it sends signals to the computer which is then supposed to act as a sampler, synthesizer or anything else. Its pads light up in several colors. This way, it can mimic an isomorphic keyboard and you can lock the pads to a scale, so you never play out of scale. The pads can also show whether they have a sample linked to it (on) or not (off), and they can be used as cursor keys or track mute/unmute/solo keys. Like the brand name suggests, it's intended to be used with the Ableton Live software.

Below that are a keyboard with a color overlay to make key combinations easier to find/memorize and a trackball because there's no space left on the desk to move a mouse around.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

Allow me to help!
Consider me helped! I won't claim a lot of that went over my head, but as a guy who built guitar rigs based on rack gear all speaking the same MIDI to each other (which took LOT of work) I get a lot of the "these parts do these things and this is how we made them communicate" stuff.

Where I get lost is the actual "programming a synthesizer" bit. Samples are samples and can be manipulated and triggered in many ways, much like my favorite effects devices of yore (which eventually even included some basic small sample support). This post is very helpful but I will admit I will have to re-read it a few times to wrap my head around it all.

I'm just really very grateful you were willing to take the time to post this primer for me. I know I won't be getting into this stuff so it doesn't matter that I don't really "get" it, but intellectually I want to understand it and you have done me a great service.

Thank you.

O, sorry,
I'll have a #2, medium, just cheese and onions on the burgers, with a Sprite.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You don't think you'll be getting into it today. But some day you might get curious and see some used synth at a store or online for small bit of coin. Then it's all over. I picked up a small little thing to record something to play guitar along with and ... ugh. Good god bye bye money.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I picked up a Memory Man. I had one of those Strymon TimeLines or El Capistan at the top of my list based on youtube demos, but when it came down to using one, neither really clicked with me. I have this aversion towards really complex effects and modelling amp because I tinker too much. This thing let me dial in the sound I was looking for almost right away. The store over here even let me return my month-old Boss DD-3 that wasn't clicking for me so it was a near 1:1 trade.

Just playing with it a bit now and when the TS is feeding it with a bit of chorus, the sound with about 150ms delay is unbelievable. Just this wall of awesomeness. Delay is fun as hell!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Where I get lost is the actual "programming a synthesizer" bit.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com/

quote:

O, sorry,
I'll have a #2, medium, just cheese and onions on the burgers, with a Sprite.

:mad:

Billy Corgan went to the Dark Side, so did John Frusciante. We'll get you eventually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I love delay, but the biggest problem I've found with delay pedals on the market by far is that none of them have any kind of High Cut knob until you get to like the >$350 range.

Just give me a simple digital delay with 4 controls: DELAY TIME, FEEDBACK, MIX, HI CUT. With a hi cut knob could dial down the treble on so it can do the best things delay does, which is to fill in the gaps between notes to create an interesting ambience, and avoid the worst things delay does, which is being obviously and distractingly bright and present and mucking up the actual notes being played.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2019