Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What queries is it pulling? The way we do it for servicenow data import and auth is to a standalone AD LDS instance that syncs over only the users and attributes that we need. That might be worth looking in to that way you’re not fighting the DC cert getting presented.

Takes a little bit of work to set up the attribute sync and getting your adamsync config set up along with adding any attributes to the schema beyond the default, but it’s pretty bulletproof once you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

It's checking against our AD to log into enterprise software

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Path of least resistance is to have the enterprise app trust your internal CA root. There's other ways around this, but thats what I would do to get it working.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm running into an issue... And while troubleshooting, I ran into another issue. Here are both issues:

THE REAL ISSUE:
I have a RODC on my domain and a third party Windows server is supposed to perform LDAPS queries against it. This broke somehow a few days ago after the RODC froze and got a hard reboot. The issue is the other server is not trusting the cert presented by my RODC. The cert presented is signed by my internal CA. The third party says they shouldn't have to trust my internal CA. I have a wild card cert from godaddy on this RODC. but LDAPS is not presenting it. I understand that LDAPS just takes the first cert it sees and it sees the internal-CA one and uses that. The workaround in place is to use LDAP without the S which is working.

THE SECOND ISSUE:
Anyway.... To troubleshoot this, I restored a copy of the RODC from before this happened... Of course I put it off network and then turned it on. I can't sign in to it - no logon servers available.

Windows server 2012 bla bla bla. I'm really sad about having to post in this thread again, I was doing so well avoiding all work. And for the record I inherited this.

The real issue: Is the third-party server joined to your domain? I want to say AD offers the newest certificate, so reissuing the GoDaddy cert may resolve the issue? I don't have a way to verify that right now.

The second issue: holy poo poo do not do this. Burn that RODC to the ground, fix AD, and start from scratch. All sorts of wonky things happen when you restore DCs.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The real issue: Is the third-party server joined to your domain? I want to say AD offers the newest certificate, so reissuing the GoDaddy cert may resolve the issue? I don't have a way to verify that right now.
Third party server is not on the domain. I attempted reinstalling the GoDaddy cert but possibly I didn't do it correctly.

quote:

The second issue: holy poo poo do not do this. Burn that RODC to the ground, fix AD, and start from scratch. All sorts of wonky things happen when you restore DCs.

To be clear I'm not restoring it into production. I just want to log in to it so I can see what the certs looked like before the issue started.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Path of least resistance is to have the enterprise app trust your internal CA root. There's other ways around this, but thats what I would do to get it working.

yeah I'm hoping to get them to agree to this

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Third party server is not on the domain. I attempted reinstalling the GoDaddy cert but possibly I didn't do it correctly.

I think it's not "the certificate most recently installed", but "the certificate issued most recently". I think. This is pulling from memories on an issue I wasn't directly involved in almost two years ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

THE SECOND ISSUE:
Anyway.... To troubleshoot this, I restored a copy of the RODC from before this happened... Of course I put it off network and then turned it on. I can't sign in to it - no logon servers available.

Log on in "Directory Services Restore Mode" and use a local admin/domain restoration account.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

Log on in "Directory Services Restore Mode" and use a local admin/domain restoration account.

imagine working someplace where that account was documented

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I think it's not "the certificate most recently installed", but "the certificate issued most recently". I think. This is pulling from memories on an issue I wasn't directly involved in almost two years ago.

interesting

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's trivial to reset with any number of winpe based tools

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I do. But AD is basically my full time job.

But yes I would agree most places don’t have it documented or it’s not the right password when shtf

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

It's trivial to reset with any number of winpe based tools

ok I was going to try hiren's boot cd but didn't know if it would work on domain controller

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ok I was going to try hiren's boot cd but didn't know if it would work on domain controller

You probably already know this, but I think it's worth noting for a later reader:

PE based password tools only work on password stored in the SAM hive, which is only used for local accounts.

Which means they do not work on domain accounts, and will only work on the local admin/restore services mode account on a domain controller.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've never gotten around to testing it, but apparently you can pull cached domain passwords from Windows.

https://medium.com/@rootsecdev/abusing-windows-cached-credentials-in-metasploit-376b21e98e66

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Moey posted:

I've never gotten around to testing it, but apparently you can pull cached domain passwords from Windows.

https://medium.com/@rootsecdev/abusing-windows-cached-credentials-in-metasploit-376b21e98e66

Cached creds have been a thing for a long time. They're stored as ntlmv2 hashes with salting (thus the additional parameter for crack) but you're still brute forcing so using sufficiently strong passwords for admin credentials helps minimize the impact. The salting at least stops you from being able to pass the hash to another system and have it be valid.

The much more fun one that pen testers use to pop DA creds is by scraping hashes out of memory. You start by getting creds on a regular user account (phishing, social engineering, whatever), enumerate for a server that the account as admin rights on, log in on that with local admin privs and then look to see if another admin account (hopefully a DA) is also logged in. Windows did a good job of cleaning up the old lm hashes from 2008/Vista forward on disk/cache, but when a user is actively logged in it is still calculating and leaving a lm hash in memory that you can get to with local admin. Those are trivial to crack so long as the password is 14 characters or less and the behavior is hard-coded in to the OS, cannot be disabled. They stopped doing it with Win10/2016, but anything before that is vulnerable. Only mitigations are to enforce 15+ character passwords on anything with admin creds, or upgrade everything to Win10/2016+. Setting limits to idle/disconnected RDP sessions on servers can also help you there too, but isn't fool-proof.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
How's everyone dealing with rsat when your in a sccm environment.

GPO is pointing at sccm for WSUS. So when you powershell to install it can't install.

Is literally creating a package the solution?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

lol internet. posted:

GPO is pointing at sccm for WSUS. So when you powershell to install it can't install.

That's how I do it. Application that goes out to the folks who need it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Server 2019 hosting Active Directory Based Authentication is a walk in the park.

Took me longer to figure out that you needed a special Office executable to add the KMS keys for that than it did to get the whole thing deployed.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

You probably already know this, but I think it's worth noting for a later reader:

PE based password tools only work on password stored in the SAM hive, which is only used for local accounts.

Which means they do not work on domain accounts, and will only work on the local admin/restore services mode account on a domain controller.

yes that's why I wasn't going to use it, bc it's dc, but didn't occur to me it would work on adrs

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

lol internet. posted:

If you're ok with your clients reaching out to Microsoft Update you can set a policy that will let them do so for additional content and repair content: https://www.stephenwagner.com/2018/10/08/enable-windows-update-features-on-demand-and-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-in-wsus-environments/

(that also exists in local policy)

If you can't/don't want your clients to reach out then yeah I guess you're stuck making a package, or if it's for a few smart admin staff just dumping this on a network share and giving them instructions: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2018/12/18/rsat-on-windows-10-1809-in-disconnected-environments/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

In a Windows file server, I have a shared drive with about 1,000 root folders. Each folder ranges from "used every day" to "haven't been used since 2004."

I want to give the IT director a report of which folders have files that have been created, accessed, or modified by employees in the past X days/weeks/months.

What is the best way to do this? I normally use treesize pro, but that will give me a per-file report. I want these grouped by folder. I want something that looks like this:

pre:
Folder          Latest date of an item in the folder that was accessed
------          ------------------------------------------------------
E:\Poop         2019-07-01
E:\Piss         2019-06-15
E:\Semen        2018-01-01

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Powershell script would be my go-to (iterate through each ChildItem, storing oldest relevant date for each one), but be aware that LastAccessTime isn't enabled in newer versions of Windows unless you've explicitly enabled it. Also things like backups will mess with that date anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There's a LastWriteTime property that might work for you, and you could also filter on PSIsContainer. So something like

code:
Get-ChildItem -Path whatever | Where-Object { $_.PSIsContainer } | Select LastWriteTime
This is pseudocode and you'll need to build whatever you actually need.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^^

Unless you have some really funny (bad) backup software that touches files themselves instead of their archive bit metadata, this is the metadata property to use.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

oof o365 is having a bad fall down right now

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1146145223937892352

even the outage page is out.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

incoherent posted:

even the outage page is out.

New thread title?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

get out of my head. I was gonna propose a new title.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

incoherent posted:

get out of my head. I was gonna propose a new title.

:hfive:

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So,

1.) Why are Windows Updates so loving slow in Windows Server 2016?
2.) Why did Microsoft feel the need to strip WSEE from Windows Server 2019 and give it its own SKU/product?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

With (2), people small enough to use WSEE probably would do better with point 'n click O365 administration?

I'm guessing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Friends dont let friends use WSEE.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So,

The only explanation from MS that I ever got in my last job, where I managed 2016 in a PaaS capacity and we opened more than one support ticket on this issue, was that "well the product has been out a while so the cumulative updates are large". :downs:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So,

Are you on WSUS and doing basic maintenance to keep you database size down?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

Friends dont let friends use WSEE.

Hey! Come on, there's nothing wrong with it for home lab use. :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Fool posted:

What does this mean, specifically?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

What does this mean, specifically?

Few scenarios:
* Actively declining old, superseded update by lovingly by hand (To give your shop that air of artisanal IT)
* Running the wsus scripts from microsoft on a set schedule.
* Locate the ancient texts of adams wsus maintenance script (or, pay for it)

The Fool posted:

They may not have express updates enabled for their wsus server. I've heard this common complaint on \r\sysadmin, but i don't have 16 deployed (going to skip to '19 tbh).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So,

Wish they would fix this...

A little over a year ago we upgraded our TS farm to a bunch of shiny new hardware and virtualized everything on Hyper-V. All with 2016, our first 2016 installs anywhere..

I spent some time chasing down what I thought was a major performance issue until I learned that 2016 updates are just slow as gently caress.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Wish they would fix this...

A little over a year ago we upgraded our TS farm to a bunch of shiny new hardware and virtualized everything on Hyper-V. All with 2016, our first 2016 installs anywhere..

I spent some time chasing down what I thought was a major performance issue until I learned that 2016 updates are just slow as gently caress.

We just bunny hopped over 2016 because of this issue. We have like 3 or 4 servers in production everything else gets 2019 unless something specifically breaks.

Other Content:

Office 365 Sub-Domains... So. We have a root domain and 3 subdomains:

domain.root
students.domain.root
dev.domain.root
test.domain.root

I recently built dev and test because we are moving to a new SSO (shibboleth) and wanted to do some testing before we ripped the bandaid off and blew up the butt.

But of course, Microsoft cannot make poo poo easy, ever. Currently our root is Managed and our Students are Federated. Don't ask, I don't know and if I could talk to the person who set it up this way I would have already killed them. But, we won't be swapping the root to federated until we have dev/test of Shibboleth up and running and we migrate them at the same time with students. I add the two new MSOL-Domains and try to move one to federated and BAM! nope, because the root is managed, sub-domains that are added AFTER the root get forced into whatever the root was because reasons. . It appears that from this article that the only way around it is to contact O365 support (who will totally know what I am talking about) to have them generate the domain without the RootDomain flag.

I may also be bitching about this while I wait for my only dev account to be deleted from O365 so I can delete the domain and then generate those tickets. UGH. Still though, Sub-domains might be completely separate companies that use completely different SSO. Nice default, except when you run smack into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So,

Are you updating directly from MS, or WSUS? If I recall right, 2016 supports both the update rollup method, and individual rollups. If your wsus people don't know what they're doing, they'll end up assigning both sets of patches to the system and the OS will dutifully install the redundant patches which can take forever instead of just firing off one rollup.