Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

BrigadierSensible posted:

Someone makes a stupid comment, gets called out on it, and then doubles down, moves goalposts, claims to be the victim, makes 17 posts all the while claiming "I don't care, you are putting more effort into this than me" etc. All in an effort to avoid admitting they were wrong. It very rarely ends well for them.

:centrism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

A fun video in which a coked up Boogie begs for money and talks himself into justifying buying a $100k car. How loving dense do you have to be to think a Tesla will earn you $30k per year? Also he looks bizarre now, look at that thumbnail wtf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGadd5jxWo

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TheManWithNoName posted:

A fun video in which a coked up Boogie begs for money and talks himself into justifying buying a $100k car. How loving dense do you have to be to think a Tesla will earn you $30k per year? Also he looks bizarre now, look at that thumbnail wtf

Wow. That man is yay’d up.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/c87jia/boogie2988_on_how_a_car_salesman_talked_him_into/

This has some... choice summaries from the whole thing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

From a few pages back, but there were more of them much worse.

https://twitter.com/SloppyPSY0P/status/1145876079338557440

https://twitter.com/SloppyPSY0P/status/1146016274994073601

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You have to wonder how many people had to sign off on that promotion, and not a single one of them thought it could be exploited in the most obvious way possible. Fire them all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

So I suppose my question is, why can't people admit they were wrong anymore? Especially over small things, coz it seems to me taht the smaller the mistake, the harder the doubling down and defensiveness.

Were people ever capable of admitting they were wrong? As someone with pretty chronic foot-in-mouth disease, there's what you say and then there's all the emotions and thought process attached to it, and it's really more about defending your feelings and intent rather than the content of your post.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

So I suppose my question is, why can't people admit they were wrong anymore? Especially over small things, coz it seems to me taht the smaller the mistake, the harder the doubling down and defensiveness.
Ego is a terrible, terrible thing.

Modern rhetoric regarding the right wing involves never admitting you were wrong, ever, and constantly shifting the topology of the argument to favor you. Put the opponent on the back foot, and keep them there. Most argumentative centrist dickbags will do the same thing, but factor in the additional element of never supporting the thing they're arguing for - it's all just devil's advocate or reporting facts as they were stated.

So they might not "win" an argument, but they'll feel like they won.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Because if what I said was wrong then I wouldn’t have said it, if you idiots would just listen for one second

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I think I saw a video of two televangelists justifying buying a private jet that sounded awful similar to a lot of the rationalizations here.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheManWithNoName posted:

So that's why Boogie got those new chompers! To better suck Elon's dick!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dude's an idiot for offering $800

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I didn’t know my dad knew how to post a google review

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metrofreak posted:

So that's why Boogie got those new chompers! To better suck Elon's dick!

I hope you aren't a person that gives a lot of blowjobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So much poo poo is happening in this post.

https://twitter.com/KWholesaler/status/1146238633952841728?s=19

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Glastonbury should just be Chumbawumba playing Mouthful of poo poo, Homophobia and The Day The Nazi Died over and over. :twisted:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

You have to wonder how many people had to sign off on that promotion, and not a single one of them thought it could be exploited in the most obvious way possible. Fire them all.

"Someone's going to make a Hitler shirt and it will go viral!"

"good"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

loving Preschoolers even know to "check the oil" when they play mechanic
:vince:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Because gently caress you I can't deal with not being the most correct 100% of the time

Also you had a funny misspelling you loving moron lol

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/amconmag/status/1146257253479174146?s=19

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1146165604610498560?s=19

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle. It's not that people who have bad opinions/stupid ideas are sometimes incapable of admitting they're wrong, it's that people who are incapable of admitting they're wrong/backing down have bad opinions/stupid ideas because they never actually engage in the conversations that would allow them to be shook out of them, or willingly engage in any sort of self-critique or analysis. :v:

Ultimately it probably comes down to ego, the people with really fragile egos and self-esteem can't even handle a loss in an internet argument and will die on that loving hill, no matter what it's about, gently caress you, I'll tell you why you're wrong about this anime and furthermore- because even the slightest setback would crumple them completely. Anyone with an actual healthy self-esteem that's not just a front for fragile narcicissm would just go: "eh, whatever, not the hill I want to die on" or "huh, I learned a thing today, guess you were right." because it's not the end of the world to them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1146397716328656896

Not going to screenshot this on account of it being a gallery of screenshots.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine how America's decision have any impact on people in other countries *surrounded by a half million Iraqi ghosts*

Willing to bet this is the plot to Death Stranding.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

I just read the dude in this thread going "Hey guys maybe punching Nazis isn't that good. Oh I didn't know he was a Nazi. Well now I am just saying he was punched AND kicked. Why are you being mean to me?" etc. and so on.

To be clear, I do NOT want to respond to him or that particular derail at all. But it got me thinking about that phenomena.

But poo poo like that happens all the time on the internet. Someone makes a stupid comment, gets called out on it, and then doubles down, moves goalposts, claims to be the victim, makes 17 posts all the while claiming "I don't care, you are putting more effort into this than me" etc. All in an effort to avoid admitting they were wrong. It very rarely ends well for them. And they rarely save the face they so desperately want to.

All of which could be avoided with either a 1)"Whoops, I was wrong/misspoke. Sorry about that." and moving on. or 2)realizing they are getting shat on, and leaving it alone and letting their minor slip up/idiocy be forgotten, (because in truth it usually is a tiny thing that nobody cares that much about).

Both of those responses would allow the person to remain cool/friends with the group, would allow them to learn about their mistake, and everybody moves on happily.

I've wondered this too. You really want to own those haters? Admit you were wrong. Best way to take the wind out of their sails. After all, there's really zero at stake for doing this. Who cares if they proved you wrong?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1146397716328656896

Not going to screenshot this on account of it being a gallery of screenshots.

Ah another entry for the Wifedex.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If any of those are true, I wonder how much is rooted in the insecurity of how you're less of a man if your wife is a bigger breadwinner than you. Because that is definitely a real thing many men are insanely neurotic about.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

If any of those are true, I wonder how much is rooted in the insecurity of how you're less of a man if your wife is a bigger breadwinner than you. Because that is definitely a real thing many men are insanely neurotic about.

I think you can guess how many.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think you can guess how many.

I can count at least four just in that linked tweet.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Picnic Princess posted:

I would argue it's less about that and more about "Women's work", (teaching, nursing, secretarial etc.), should always be paid less than manly/mens work, (computer janitoring/carpentry/lion taming etc.

This is ignoring how hard and labor intensive it is to be a teacher, or a nurse or a secretary etc. As well as the fact that these jobs require University degrees. (Fucken smartypants egghead ladies reckonin' they deserve to earn more than me!) And also ignoring how much more useful to society and noble it is to educate the youth, or help heal the sick etc. than it is to do data entry, or be a stock broker.

I mean, you are right it is fragile masculinity, but I would argue it is fragile masculinity in a different way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Picnic Princess posted:

This is so, so, dumb (the concept, to clarify). Being neurotic that your wife makes more than you is like being neurotic you're making too much money . I gotta imagine the men neurotic about it, beyond just basic toxic masculinity, use their income as leverage or control in their relationships-so of course they would freak out if the shoe were on the other foot.

The other side of it is that it makes men that were convinced they had to be the breadwinner extremely depressed if they lost their job. My brothers job is very boom and bust (construction) and for a nine month stretch between jobs he fell into a really bad funk in spite of his wife stepping up her hours to make up the difference. He just thought he was a failure for notmaking more money.

Meanwhile I'll gladly be fine with my wife working overtime instead of me because she makes so much more than me that it's just a more cost effective use of our time collectively for her to do it than me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Way back when we were first dating, I asked my husband how he would feel if I made more than him. I had read some article about how to tell if he's traditional or progressive or something. He responded with "That would be awesome!" which was exactly what I wanted to hear because I'm super non-traditionalist and didn't want to be with anyone who thought "It has to be done this way because it's supposed to be done this way".

I never managed to make more than him but he's also fine with that because ultimately it isn't a contest and it doesn't matter so long as bills are paid and you're living a life you like together.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Panfilo posted:

The other side of it is that it makes men that were convinced they had to be the breadwinner extremely depressed if they lost their job. My brothers job is very boom and bust (construction) and for a nine month stretch between jobs he fell into a really bad funk in spite of his wife stepping up her hours to make up the difference. He just thought he was a failure for notmaking more money.

I mean, unless he explicitly said it, that doesn't have to be because his wife was making more money. Being unemployed has an exceptionally great possibility of making any of us feel like poo poo for a variety of reasons that don't necessarily have to be sexism.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Someone with Boogie's diet/lifestyle getting into coke is basically suicide by heart attack. Can't wait.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Picnic Princess posted:

Way back when we were first dating, I asked my husband how he would feel if I made more than him. I had read some article about how to tell if he's traditional or progressive or something. He responded with "That would be awesome!" which was exactly what I wanted to hear because I'm super non-traditionalist and didn't want to be with anyone who thought "It has to be done this way because it's supposed to be done this way".

I never managed to make more than him but he's also fine with that because ultimately it isn't a contest and it doesn't matter so long as bills are paid and you're living a life you like together.

We had a similar discussion once and my reaction was similar: gently caress yeah you should make more money than me! Then we'd have way more disposable income for actual vacations and poo poo again! And more expensive cats! (we have a Bengal and a Sphynx, for those not in the cat threads)

Sadly that's really unlikely now that I moved out of academia to become a software engineer because we treat teachers like poo poo in this country :smith:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Someone with Boogie's diet/lifestyle getting into coke is basically suicide by heart attack. Can't wait.

Either way, dead weight will be shed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

felch me daddy jr. posted:

replace this dude with primitive technology guy, so fat nerd man can suffer in a hole in the woods and the tanned muscular australian will silently stare into his audiences unified soul

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my wife made a good chunk of money more than me, and it was never an issue beyond me feeling I needed to be more frugal than I needed to. We had 2 separate bank accounts, but we could both sign off on each others and had full access (so essentially joint, really). I found it a little hard to spend money I saw as hers, despite her saying "it's our money, idiot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Maybe you've just been doing it wrong :colbert: