Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished the first revision of my Superball Speedrun stage, Superb All
PWM-JQV-7VF

This is the kind of stage that I'm 100% sure has jank that I was blind to as the creator. I'm hoping to get some feedback, improve it, and then submit it to the spreadsheet. Please don't Like it yet even if you do like it, I don't want to inflict it on endless until it's been de-janked

The level is (intentionally) quite difficult but should still be easier than a true kaizo. If it's actually at kaizo difficulty then that's something I need to fix and is valuable feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Tried making a music level: K9C-B3N-7YG (Wind Scene/600A.D.)
Actually sounds a fair bit better than I expected. Next time I'll probably use pipes to make multiple maps.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I finished my alterations to my Ski Slope stage and re-uploaded it

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG

This was for the Try Switch contest, do I need to just re-add it to both sheets or could it be updated?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The last five levels in Endless for me have had no coins and no 1-ups. :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This thread moves so fast

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Thanks for playing it and the feedback! All power ups after the first Mushroom are just Progressive (following Nintendo’s rules) with the exception for a few secrets. I realized early on like, 90% of the baddies in it will be immune to fire but yeah I liked giving people extra hits so I just kept it.

I’m trying to think what jump you mentioned here though, is it before you go Underground?

Yep, well before. It's been a few hours but I think it was right after the first Fire Flower. You take a running jump to get to a platform with a Dry Bones on it, but if you aren't careful the arc of your jump will take you into a second Dry Bones on a slightly higher platform to the left of the target platform that has a few coins on it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Ok, made one that isn't weird. It's Just Mario, baby

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 3, 2019

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Hey goons, I uploaded a level

Will o' The Wisp
ML3-09R-VHG

I put a lava bubble on a track and had it guide Mario through a darkened mansion filled with less-than-stable platforms. It's a shortish autoscroller that shouldn't be too challenging.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 3, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

This was weird.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1146233141398405120

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

Good Sphere posted:

All of these have superb level design and fun to play. No Wizards Allowed was my favorite, and by far the most challenging.
Thanks man, glad you liked them!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

what was? you didn't bounce off the cannonball because it was one of the ones you jumped on earlier

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I finished my alterations to my Ski Slope stage and re-uploaded it

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG

This was for the Try Switch contest, do I need to just re-add it to both sheets or could it be updated?
I liked this a lot. Those flying beetles and spinies can really gently caress up a speed run.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

President Ark posted:

what was? you didn't bounce off the cannonball because it was one of the ones you jumped on earlier

No, I mean the sound effect changed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am really coming to hate Meowser. It sure is fun to only be able to sit there as he hangs out in the background and shoots at you over and over and over again. He finally came back? Oh, it was just to do a quick backflip and now he's in the background shooting again.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Salastine posted:

The people cry out for justice, shutting down an arms factory is a start.

Button Bastion
ID: FKB-YB4-DYF

(Here is my game jam for "Try Switch", which gave me more trouble than it should've and I'm pretty sure came out way too easy.)

Also, I posted a level earlier today but I think it may have been overlooked.

Coral Crawl
ID: PYD-D60-7VF

I fear my post may have been lost at the end of last page.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

absolutely anything posted:

Ok, made one that isn't weird. It's Just Mario, baby

Really good level. I was dumb and went down the path meant to be used for the buzzy beetle.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

My Jam week 1 submission, Hit the Switch, Get Rich!

7GN-2QY-CLF

Update: Deleted until further notice.

FlashFearless fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 3, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Does the night theme for the airship change the gravity but for enemies only? What's happening here

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Made my first level just to play around with a clown car. Also wanted to get a feel for the maker
M8S-TTQ-QNF

Wish I could zoom out and get a bigger grasp of the stage but I can’t so might just use pen and paper first to map out what I want and then take it to the game.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I tried making a little ghost house just for funsies. It's probably not anything too amazing, but I had fun with it and with getting a feel for the engine.

5FV-HTC-5QG

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Does the night theme for the airship change the gravity but for enemies only? What's happening here

Night airship acts like enemies are underwater.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
My first level, probably a bit much:

Follow the Leader

WVP-286-C6G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Using Random Acts Of Mario!

Air Attack (SM6-QTF-PFF) by PotU: Hard as hell, lots of good timing tricks in enemy and trap set up. A super expert course that doesn't rely on bad design.

Flagrant Disregard for Gravity (KYC-FYM-RJF) by CVolume: I love it! A great use of one of NSMB's hidden mechanics and the new night themes. One of the few times I've seen hall of spikes design and not groaned.

Impeccable Work Ethic (9K1-JD7-L8G) by Hyper Crab Tank: Love using the pipes to reset the rising tide. Great theming and design, razor tight timing on the overworld poison. Wish the semi-solid on the Piranha Plant boss wasn't the same color as the background! And garçon, a checkpoint, please!

Slope Slidin' Away (325-M15-C5G) by Evil Eagle: A maker of wealth and taste, recognizing the superiority of Mario 64 slide level design and SMB3 Monty Mole design.

Payload Palace (WBW-3MK-YWG) by Live Free: Tough but fair! Good use of crates and great use of bullet bill/hard block design. Nice to see a map with some room for 3D World Speedrun long jumping. Fun bonus area, had to go back and give it a try when I realized it wasn't a pure shortcut!

Freezy-Scorchy Land (W2H-14M-VCG) by Pakled: Love the theme and the mirrored worlds! I love mirror world design in general. The spikey pipe/blue lift trap is fantastic. I don't see twisties often and they're hard to use but they're well done here.

Classic Kit (T59-98K-2NF) by Random Stranger: Tough SMB1 just like Nintendo used to make! Lots of good nods to people trying to speedrun the level and pop them for it. I dig using the rails and 1-ups to simulate mini levels within a level.

7 Short Films About 1-1 (TWQ-4TF-QWF) by Big Mad Drongo: I cracked a smile at film 3, was grinned at film 4 and then died about ten times to rail goomba in film 5 because I have a small brain. Kept trying to proactively or delay jumping instead of staying still. Film 5 was as great as film 4, the others were good too. A fantastic idea and I recognized that reference.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 3, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Fawf's level Two Goombas came up in the randomizer for me and I loved it so much that I had to play all the ret of their levels as well, which are great. Drop It Like It's Hot is very clever.

Made a pirate ship level. The fiance totally didn't understand it and had a lot of trouble with it but he's also not really much of a gamer outside of Fortnite and PoGo. I was like, "You're exploring a sunken ship for treasure," and I had to walk him through my thought process which worries me. Hopefully other people get it?

Anyway, here is Pirate's Cove, my take on the pirate ship coin collecting thing someone else was mentioning the other day also wanting to do. I bet theirs comes out better!

HQ6-LGH-18G

Worth noting somebody commented a middle finger on it already. Thanks, pubbies!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kirios posted:

Alright, uploaded the level again - it's a much faster level now and removed some of the fluff. Give this weird Metroidvania another shot!

Captain Koopa Kidd's Lost Gold
MV1-CQV-QNF

Fixed it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m not sure why exactly but I’m enjoying the NSMBU theme in this game a lot more than in 1.

This time I'm having more fun with 3's theme than I did in the last Mario Maker. I think part of it for me is the lack of amiibo mushrooms.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

guppy posted:

Yep, well before. It's been a few hours but I think it was right after the first Fire Flower. You take a running jump to get to a platform with a Dry Bones on it, but if you aren't careful the arc of your jump will take you into a second Dry Bones on a slightly higher platform to the left of the target platform that has a few coins on it.

Oh I think I found it, but that's kind of a weird route to take, you can jump on the Seesaw easily from the ground and next seesaw comes into view as soon as you land on it.
I put that semisolid and Drybones up there as a way to give people a sneak peek at the hidden top route for the above ground part

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 3, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
1-1 Bolder Beginnings 4KQ-8CW-8LG
Level is fine. Would have preferred some of the coins be a placed a bit safer over the pits if you were going for easy.
1-2 Switch Ditch 768-43V-M2G
With the 2nd spiny drop, the on/off blends a bit with the colored blocks. The automatic on/off might warrant a safety ledge under the first jump, if you were going for "here's how on/off works for first timers"
Bully Bluffs P7Y-G80-XFF
Green pipe section was a little irritating, didn't see the spike was until i hit it, given that I was focused on the thwomps, and it looks like "run fast" at first glance. The first real bully could use a larger platform as well.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

EightFlyingCars posted:

Hey goons, I uploaded a level

Will o' The Wisp
ML3-09R-VHG

I put a lava bubble on a track and had it guide Mario through a darkened mansion filled with less-than-stable platforms. It's a shortish autoscroller that shouldn't be too challenging.

This is an interesting idea and I downloaded it to try again later. I keep dying at the first jump and I can't tell if it's just because I'm exhausted or because it's too difficult for my Mario skills. Do keep in mind that in dark levels the player is at a disadvantage to the maker. But it's a really cute idea!

Edit:

Got directed to Big Mad Drongo's 7 Short Films About 1-1 and sir/madam goon, I wish I had a thousandth of the creativity that courses through the beard upon your neck. Absolutely brilliant level.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mario Maker 2 is making me want to play Mario Galaxy again...

Okay, after dredging through the poo poo that is in endless mode, I want some more goon levels but this time I'm doing ones people have posted to the thread for the jam rather than random ones. All levels will be graded on how they fit the theme "Try Switch" and if they don't use five brick long snakes. They will receive letter grades but I will not tell you what those letters are.

Button Bastion
FKB-YB4-DYF

We're going to get a lot of factory themed stages, aren't we. Oh well, I guess switches and machinery lend themselves to that concept.

Anyway, good claw machine, liked the mole tank. Being able to squish boom boom at the end was fun. Short and nice.

Menacing Magikoopas from Mars
9TW-RGF-JWG

Intense level with nice theming. I got the key on my first attempt and then got sniped by something over and over again for a while. However, trapping players inside switch blocks to get through areas is really annoying and has some weird interactions with Mario so you lose a few points on the "Try switch" criterion.

OrbHurler
C4X-R78-YQF

So a lot of your challenges are effectively random. But you've got so many of them with so many excess coins who cares? I only did two of them to clear the stage and I wouldn't mind going back to play through some of the others except there's a lot of goon stages to play. Not hard to play, but fun to try to manipulate the ball. Excellent work.

Switching it Up, Mario Style
TYW-G34-WVF

This one is a decent standard level, but not really outstanding. The biggest problem is that the switching at the center of the level isn't really used in any novel way.

Always hit the switch
5RT-JH9-Q4G

My stomach fell when I saw the "kaizo inspired" in your description. Fortunately it's not as bad as that phrase implies, but the challenges weren't much here, just changing tracks. I even broke the last two segments and completed them anyway. The second by jumping on the platforms in the wrong order leading to the middle platform going to the bottom and the third by not having the second switch on screen. I abused Yoshi to finish those. There's some real problems with block placement here where switches are awkwardly placed and not in a challenging way, just too low for a platform moving downward.

Mildstar
RBX-WTN-V3G

Five block snake. Auto-fail.

In addition, the timing on a lot of things could be random and affect the player poorly. I had a time where the sawblades aligned so it was impossible to jump through. And in the day section you have a point where there's an on/off switch with the effect not visible and it kills the player if the state is wrong. These are not good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My contest entry is finally ready:

Specter Switch Soiree
9PW-212-1JF

I have a thumbnail but for some reason imgur is being fucky in the awful app. Here's my tweet with the thumbnail

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1146255075842482177?s=19

I submitted this on the contest page, does that also add it to the spreadsheet?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This one isn't for the contest but I just finished up so here it is all the same.

Don't look down!
5R9-0HC-QDG

Dr. Fetus posted a level earlier that took inspiration from Tropical Freeze's Bopopolis and I guess we're kind of on the same page because I went for a similar vibe. Lots of bouncing on enemies over bottomless pits, a few saws and blue platforms thrown in for good measure. There's a bonus area at the very end for a 30 coin and 1-up if you're so inclined.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Mario Maker 2 is making me want to play Mario Galaxy again...

Okay, after dredging through the poo poo that is in endless mode, I want some more goon levels but this time I'm doing ones people have posted to the thread for the jam rather than random ones. All levels will be graded on how they fit the theme "Try Switch" and if they don't use five brick long snakes. They will receive letter grades but I will not tell you what those letters are.

Button Bastion
FKB-YB4-DYF

We're going to get a lot of factory themed stages, aren't we. Oh well, I guess switches and machinery lend themselves to that concept.

Anyway, good claw machine, liked the mole tank. Being able to squish boom boom at the end was fun. Short and nice.

Thanks for the review. I actually wanted to do a ground level themed around a bridge with the puzzles being "toll booths" but I just didn't like the look of the buttons on the ground-style background.

Edit: I'm still playing levels page by page, so if you like coins, falling, and see-saws, then play this level by Dbhjed that went unnoticed on page 34:
Coin Catch by Dbhjed
ID: 3LT-HST-0VG

Salastine fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My contest entry is finally ready:

Specter Switch Soiree
9PW-212-1JF

I have a thumbnail but for some reason imgur is being fucky in the awful app. Here's my tweet with the thumbnail

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1146255075842482177?s=19

I submitted this on the contest page, does that also add it to the spreadsheet?

It doesn't, please enter it in both forms.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Made a level featuring a boss fight and finishing with a musical flourish.

Trent's Reznor
5YG-WSC-40G

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok have done.

I hope people like it and it isn't too hard. There is one particular portion I think people may die on a lot but it has a checkpoint immediately before and after and it spells out what you need to do.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

acems posted:

So here's Cannonball Hops 2.0: PF0-DFW-YYG

Good, fun, quick level. Gave me a good idea of having a large stack of Cannons you need to manage to get to the end of a level.

TurtleRock posted:

Thwomp Pyramid ID: PK0-RYX-58G

Enjoyable. I would have liked having coins be an indicator of Thwomp I can see somewhere a bit earlier. The ones that fall between the hooks the 1st time are a bit of a GOTCHA...but also it's Thwomp level, I should have seen it coming

Control Volume posted:

Flagrant Disregard for Gravity KYC-FYM-RJF

Great Level for learning that skill. Get lots of practice using it, and learn how to use it to get places.

Fortis posted:

b]Tricky Tiered Tower[/b] YRW-Q2X-RLG

Feels like a regular SMB3 level, and that aint a bad thing. I spent a lot of time at the checkpoint with the Hidden Bomb Block seeing if I could throw a turtle into the hole it made to try and bust all those blocks looking for a secret :v:

Junpei Hyde posted:

3S2-D5H-GSG

Quick, hoppy, classic.

I feel like I missed so much cool stuff and level design by just flying passed everything super quick. Inside the castle was good.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Castle Smashers YHH-G80-PWG

Good feeling classic SMB3 level. Enough cool spots to check out

Phantasium posted:

Ski Lift Shutdown 535-CFS-QDG

This is great fun and clever.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tried to make an underwater level that is fun but not super easy. (medium difficulty) It has one neat hidden area.

SMB3 late game under sea fun
5H9-619-3RF

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Artix posted:

This one isn't for the contest but I just finished up so here it is all the same.

Don't look down!
5R9-0HC-QDG

Dr. Fetus posted a level earlier that took inspiration from Tropical Freeze's Bopopolis and I guess we're kind of on the same page because I went for a similar vibe. Lots of bouncing on enemies over bottomless pits, a few saws and blue platforms thrown in for good measure. There's a bonus area at the very end for a 30 coin and 1-up if you're so inclined.

Well I just couldn't say no to trying out a level like this. I did like it overall, and even made it through the bonus section, but it felt like it had quite a few rough spots.

One of the big problems I noticed was that the level appeared to have quite a few problems with desyncing obstacles. If the player takes things slightly slower than intended, the way the moving sawblades line up on some of the platforming challenges can cause a jump to either get significantly harder or straight up impossible because the rest of the sawblades spawned in while the ones that were still loaded happened to go on top of the safe spots for the unloaded sawblades.

The spacing of the Paratroopas at the very start also felt very weird, especially compared to the rest of the level where the jumps weren't quite as wide from the 1st to the 2nd. The 2nd one isn't even visible if the player decides to go all the way to the right of the ledge to scout things out. And that can also cause a desyncing issue where it's not possible for the player to make the jump from the first Paratroopa to the 2nd one since that one hasn't loaded in properly. And because of that desyncing issue, also I found that getting the power up made the first room significantly harder than just immediately going for the speedrun route you put in there because of that 2nd jump.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 3, 2019