Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Squalid posted:

I was trying to figure out what San Fran would look like if it had built adequate housing and if the city had seriously tried to meet housing needs since the eighties today it would be about as dense as Brooklyn. That’s about twice what it is today.

The Bay Area could not handle a population density like Brooklyn. We don't have the subway system NYC has. I love where I live, but this place can't even handle the number of commuters we have now. San Francisco is a shithole and the Bay Area is doomed. Still, I plan to stay and have my corpse sink into the ocean with my beloved Alameda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Family Values posted:

It's loving hilarious how butt hurt people get over the word 'engineer'. Bitch you don't even drive a train.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Back when I was a young lad I worked at Staples for a while. They didn't base our hours on this poo poo but it was still all you'd hear about a lot of the time. One of the mangers was known to have sold a warranty on an electric pencil sharpener and was considered a legend for it.

our hours officially werent based on upselling customers useless or predatory crap but they absolutely were in reality

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The Bay Area could not handle a population density like Brooklyn. We don't have the subway system NYC has. I love where I live, but this place can't even handle the number of commuters we have now. San Francisco is a shithole and the Bay Area is doomed. Still, I plan to stay and have my corpse sink into the ocean with my beloved Alameda.

Subway systems... Can be built!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Subway systems... Can be built!

I see that you're new to SV thinking. That's not disruptive enough.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

that's literally the setup everyone in my college dorm had.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gutter Phoenix posted:

waving a wand and quadrupling the density of anywhere would have that problem

i'd argue that the same factors that have so far prevented sf from increasing in density like it was supposed to are also responsible for the inadequate public transit that is only just now getting some money put into it since 1970

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol sick life hack, professional RA

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

Comrades, I have a proposal.

Instead of The Wall, we should make all billionaires live together in one city. That has a minimum wage of $5000 an hour and unions for workers. If they want to leave (which they obviously will) they must give up their wealth.

I like to think of myself as the reasonable centrist of rabid leftists.

lol none of them would demean themselves by cooking for someone else, they'd starve in days

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

got any sevens posted:

lol none of them would demean themselves by cooking for someone else, they'd starve in days

we must always appreciate the classics

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Unfortunately the San Francisco Bay lacks the natural tunnel formations which were discovered on the Island of Manhattan in 1754 by colonial settlers. Without these naturally occurring, perfectly consistent underground tunnels, there is no feasible way for San Francisco to acquire a similar subway system. A plan to retrain astronauts into drillers is currently being floated, but faces challenges they don't make enough money to live in the city.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, is there anything about San Fran's geography that might make a subway system difficult?

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, is there anything about San Fran's geography that might make a subway system difficult?

i thought the city was built on piles of garbage dirt slightly pounded into level above-water ground

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Come visit Seattle, we're like the Bay Area, but it rains 24/7/369 days a year and all our overpaid software engineers are gay and/or trans

plus we have a troll under a bridge

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
San Francisco, famous for its lack of gay and trans people

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

:hmbol: never thought I'd see an engineering version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGdwfykYGY&t=68s

That's really bad because "mature" software products NEED senior developers the most. They're more complex, by definition, and often make use of...shall we say...inventive solutions that junior developers wouldn't know or understand. That's not even addressing the accumulated institutional knowledge of past requirements. Ugh. Management.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

thanks, gentrification!

in seattle we're just turning everyone trans :getin:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Menacer posted:

i thought the city was built on piles of garbage dirt slightly pounded into level above-water ground

For large chunks of the city yeah:

https://frontstepsre.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ozn_sf1.pdf

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i mean, it's not 40 years ago anymore. most of them cant afford to live there either

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

TheMostFrench posted:

I work in the IT department of a food distribution company, and my manager just resigned. The company has multiple sites and warehouses, and once my manager leaves there will be me (1 or 2 days a week casual) and one other person full time and on call 24/7 for any reason. Neither of us know how to do most of the poo poo the manager does, we don't know his contacts, and he hasn't documented his work processes for various business tasks. Craziest of all is the people at the top don't intend to replace him. There will literally be no one around who understands a large portion of the company IT system and they don't seem concerned that their business is going to rapidly fail in the next few weeks. The whole reason they took me on as casual instead of full time is that they didn't think the other guys needed the help, even though I was offered a position in the first place to reduce their workload, at their request.

Get the hell out of there now. Something similar happened to my husband last year and it was abject hell. His company shut down their snowplow store which employed several people, and dumped the entire thing on him and him alone. Everything they had been doing was a complete loving disaster. Nothing was documented. No parts numbers would cross reference. Stock didn't have parts numbers. Their sales program broke constantly and denied him access every day. Costs weren't documented and customers had been given random quotes off the top of the old guy's heads, often below cost. He took a massive stack of orders on half way through the process and had to deal with dozens of irate customers each day trying to get everything in order while still fulfilling orders. His phone was ringing off the hook all day every day. He was working 12+ hours a day just getting everything figured out. This happened at the beginning of October when snow was starting to fall and it was the busiest time of the year. Order requests were piling up faster than he could fulfill them because he had zero way of ordering anything or figuring out price quotes. They were THE snowplow company in a city of over 1 million. It took him over a month to catch up. The only reason he powered through it was because he got commission and that meant he was the ONLY person selling plows through their company and his company pretty much has a monopoly on the market. You can call him Mr. Plow because chances are if you see a plow on our streets, it was sold through his company.

The same poo poo will happen to you. Escape while you can.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Darth Walrus posted:

no and in fact part of BART is already underground, and the transbay tube runs straight through that old garbage they used as infill

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

TheMostFrench posted:

I work in the IT department of a food distribution company, and my manager just resigned. The company has multiple sites and warehouses, and once my manager leaves there will be me (1 or 2 days a week casual) and one other person full time and on call 24/7 for any reason. Neither of us know how to do most of the poo poo the manager does, we don't know his contacts, and he hasn't documented his work processes for various business tasks. Craziest of all is the people at the top don't intend to replace him. There will literally be no one around who understands a large portion of the company IT system and they don't seem concerned that their business is going to rapidly fail in the next few weeks. The whole reason they took me on as casual instead of full time is that they didn't think the other guys needed the help, even though I was offered a position in the first place to reduce their workload, at their request.

Had a similar experience. They fired a department head (not my department but I’m IT so I support them) right at the start of the busy season and when I asked the 2nd in command there what the plan to replace him was she just shrugged and said “I dunno, they don’t tell me anything”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

“I dunno, they don’t tell me anything”

I feel like this should be our corporate motto.

That, or "vision without execution."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like this should be our corporate motto.

That, or "vision without execution."

There was definitely an execution. Whether it was a poor sod's job or the company's bottom line is left as an exercise to the reader.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Even if there was they can just build an El.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol the Bay Area is already hitting geological limits in the sense that it turns out just trying to shove everyone into the Central Valley and other places instead of creating local housing is not going to work

the place is surrounded by bottlenecks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lancemantis posted:

lol the Bay Area is already hitting geological limits in the sense that it turns out just trying to shove everyone into the Central Valley and other places instead of creating local housing is not going to work

the place is surrounded by bottlenecks

i post about it constantly but the fact a tide of billionaires buying all the twee housing and building offices and almost zero apartment towers causes a tide of 1-3% incomers to price everyone else out of even the lovely parts of this state really, really sucks. like for real I'm already in one of the tiniest and poorest parts of the state where the gently caress am I supposed to move, assuming I could even afford to do that?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Streetcars/Light rail in every street. Subways are some 60s "we need to make space for cars!" transportation planning. It's even a great way to connect surrounding areas!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Modest Mao posted:

The more people pay the less work they expect from you.

It was an eye-opening experience to work at an IT firm where they constantly hounded us near-minimum wage, temp contract call center people to do more work—at one point our workload permanently increased 50% from one day to the other, without compensation—while at the same time failing to notice a 2nd line employee, who made at least twice what we did on top of benefits, literally doing nothing but show up for 9 months.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how's BART doing these days let's take a look

oh.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah there were some complaints about them things hurting people in wheelchairs and a great pic hang on

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peanut President posted:

It's really funny because when I visited SF in May loving nobody pays fares on the buses or trams. Allegedly there's an undercover transit cop who might nail you for not paying but no one seems to give a poo poo.

also this lady should be the mascot for cspam

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
boy that’s not a blatant disaster hazard right there

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1146397716328656896

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i hate the "travel cures prejudice" meme because its just classism and generally wrong, but if there were a way to have every american in an urban area spend a week riding a real transit system itd change the country overnight

like random ticket checks instead of gates would break peoples brains and trigger the down punching "WHAT IF I PAY AND SOMEONE ELSE CHEATS" reflex (currently flailing about loan jubilee), but after a few days theyd learn to not give a poo poo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

mr bernie please dont pay my life a living wage so she can remain dependent on me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

charitable to assume those guys are married lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why not pay $80k or $100k to the people who have to put up with little shits with rear end in a top hat parents all day and who our future as a species in no small way directly depends on huh? What a crazy world that would be!!!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

charitable to assume those guys are married lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

how's BART doing these days let's take a look

oh.

Our fare evasion deterrent primarily targets the segment of petty criminals who are too dignified to crouch