Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FairGame posted:

Might get one more up before the holiday, but then we're going on hiatus for several days.

This is the first time i've been relieved to see my character sit out a mission. gently caress this mission, especially in long war, holy christ in heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Fantastic job. I don't know how you did it, but you pulled it off.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was my character wounded because of the acid or severe exhaustion? How many days do you get for taking exhausted people on missions?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

FairGame gets annoyed that a bunch of 85% shots miss, but no comment on the half-dozen sub-50% shots he took that hit, including a 35% shot that had no right connecting. :xcom:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee posted:

Was my character wounded because of the acid or severe exhaustion? How many days do you get for taking exhausted people on missions?

Exhaustion. An exhaustion injury is 2x fatigue, even if you had only like 1 hour left on your fatigue timer. So if you’re gonna fatigue someone, you might as well have it be someone who just stepped off the Skyranger from the previous mission.

Fatigue is 96-120 hours by default, and then there are things that modify it.

Officers get more fatigue after missions, with further fatigue the higher their rank.
The LT officer ability “stay frosty” reduces post mission fatigue by 24 hours. It’s great.
Units that got knocked down and had to be stabilized from bleedout get 24 hours more fatigue per mission. Pretty sure it’s just a flag, though, and that’s it can’t stack with itself.

Later on, when we get gene mods and psykers, that’ll add fatigue as well.

At the verrrrrrry end of the game you develop tech that negates fatigue. But by that point it’s largely irrelevant.

I actually haven’t used SHIVs as much as I thought I would this playthrough, but one of their advantages is that they don’t fatigue.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You are a machine, my friend. 25 episodes in what, a few weeks? I feel like I barely have time to watch one before the next one gets posted.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

kw0134 posted:

FairGame gets annoyed that a bunch of 85% shots miss, but no comment on the half-dozen sub-50% shots he took that hit, including a 35% shot that had no right connecting. :xcom:

That's just the way most people experience chance, in my experience. Just look at every fire emblem LP ever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Even their grenades have a self-destruct mechanism. I wonder if they considered having that happen to corpses to really deny you the spoils and thought that was excessive. What use could corpses possibly be for a backwards enemy?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I honestly kind of wonder if humans are the most advanced species the elders have tried to conquer?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The air game in this is just disgusting. Two UFOs took 8 planes out of action for most of the month.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Wow that's a lot of money spent on new interceptors. Air game seems harder than the actual missions

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

It didn't cancel suppression because you shoot before the action that triggers covering fire resolves.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha, I was cracking up at that suppression from five feet away.

(I doubt I'm not the first to make a comparison between the game and this scene)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

eating only apples posted:

Wow that's a lot of money spent on new interceptors. Air game seems harder than the actual missions
He will have like 24 spares by the time his old ones get fixed. All of them Frankensteins with scorch marks everywhere. The greatest used vehicle company on the planet.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Scalding Coffee posted:

He will have like 24 spares by the time his old ones get fixed. All of them Frankensteins with scorch marks everywhere. The greatest used vehicle company on the planet.

And two of them will have 500 kills between the pair of them.

Someone else might get one or two but Scooter Yang looks down his nose at them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

eating only apples posted:

From what little I know about LW, the air game has always been a pain.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

From what little I know about LW, the air game has always been a pain.

Yeah the LW airgame is trash, it's pure RNG dicerolls. I'm honestly surprised fairgame hasn't gotten the really fun event where an alien hits him with a normal shot and then immediately crits him to kill an interceptor before you can even react. It doesn't help that the alien ships literally get better over time and the foundry projects you get don't really even you up, they just make you less bad. The only real bonus is that aliens have to pay for ships, so if you blow some poo poo up it weakens them a bit the next month.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 8, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FWIW, we'll start regularly humiliating the aliens in the air in relatively short order. I'm pretty pleased with how the air game went early on in this campaign, in that we generally shot down/destroyed everything we had a chance at. Losing a UFO when you have healthy interceptors is awful.

Losing a satellite or two because your fleet is just wrecked and can't respond to a hunter is something you have to deal with early on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hahaha, I was cracking up at that suppression from five feet away.

One of my favorite things in this game is when you send a soldier right up next to an alien, and it spins around and points at him like "Aha! There he is!" Good job, buddy, you found us.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
That was nice of them, dropping a bread basket like that for you instead of messing with your stuff.

I'm guessing the Laser Cannon is a nice upgrade to the air game and you will be talking about it when you can afford it, presumably with the raider loot.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach posted:

That was nice of them, dropping a bread basket like that for you instead of messing with your stuff.

I'm guessing the Laser Cannon is a nice upgrade to the air game and you will be talking about it when you can afford it, presumably with the raider loot.

I talked a bit about alien missions earlier in the thread, but this is another opportune moment to mention alien UFOs.

Every month, there will be 3 landed UFOs. No more, no less. As you saw in my previous post talking about mission types, there are only 2 alien missions that involve landing: research missions (aliens gain research points; only launched in XCOM satellite countries) and harvest missions (aliens gain resources; launched randomly and until you start getting a bunch of satellites up, most harvests are going to occur "off-screen.") The ratio of harvest missions to research missions depends on alien resources and the level of threat the aliens perceive XCOM to be. Regardless, the sum total of research missions + harvest missions in any given month will always = 3.

The type of UFOs the aliens can bring to these missions depend on their resources at the time the mission is launched (as opposed to the "how many resources do the aliens have at the start of the month" check, which governs what mission types you get that month).

Research mission UFO size is directly proportional to alien resources. If the aliens have a lot of resources, they can bring larger ships for research (though it's still random; if there's a chance for a small/medium/large UFO, then all 3 have a 1/3 chance of happening).
Harvest mission UFO size is inversely proportional to alien resources. If the aliens have a shitload of resources, small/medium/large UFOs are in the pool. If the aliens are starving, only large UFOs are in the pool. Large UFOs are also a nightmare to take down thanks to a command pod of 6 outsiders.

But, basically, the aliens land roughly the same amount of material each month for you to capture. Larger harvests mean shittier research missions, and vice versa.

Because the aliens are doing relatively well with resources right now, we're getting landed raiders for research. Which is great, because a landed raider isn't appreciably more difficult to take down than a landed scout (typically just 1 more alien pod + 1 more outsider), but gives a LOT more resources than a scout.

It wasn't so much "nice" of the aliens to drop the raider breadbasket for us; it was guaranteed to happen.

(Now, sometimes landed UFOs are traps and suddenly your breadbasket becomes a deathtrap. But mostly landed raiders are just a joy any time they happen.)

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Is any of that mentioned in some readme or starter guide that comes with LW, or did they just go lol figure this poo poo out yourself? Not knowing you can ignore 3 ships each month would explain why my memories of LW air game was such bullshit, I just sent planes after everything and ate poo poo as a consequence. Especially if some of them are larger than you can reasonably expect to fight without ruinous losses.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure once you research either the specific ufo or some other research thing the game will just start straight up telling you what the ships are doing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hell yeah multiupdate days! Hope I don't die!!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach posted:

Is any of that mentioned in some readme or starter guide that comes with LW, or did they just go lol figure this poo poo out yourself? Not knowing you can ignore 3 ships each month would explain why my memories of LW air game was such bullshit, I just sent planes after everything and ate poo poo as a consequence. Especially if some of them are larger than you can reasonably expect to fight without ruinous losses.

You can figure it out for yourself, and the game/Bradford gives you enough info to do so.

You will ALWAYS get the UFO orbit (low, high, NOE. NOEs will always land.)
You will always know if you’re up against a hunter (high, also it blinks and Bradford says it’s searching for something)
You will always know if you shouldn’t be fighting something (it’ll say “large,” or “very large,” and Bradford will be like “uh...bad idea”)

The only surprise you’ll have is “surprise, the other medium UFO type other than a raider will absolutely ruin your poo poo.” Destroyers are not to be taken lightly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I take it those last two PFCs won't see action until the 8 man squad upgrade or next armor tier or something?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xelkelvos posted:

I take it those last two PFCs won't see action until the 8 man squad upgrade or next armor tier or something?

They'll see action before that. But I won't recruit any more PFCs after that, in all likelihood. Too dangerous to carry that much dead weight as you get into the summer months, especially once you start getting council requests that give you corporal-level soldiers. Squad Size II (8 units) is super important to get before July 1 (a ludicrously difficult mission happens on July 1), and carrying dead weight that might get killed or, worse still, get others killed puts the 7/1 rank threshold to unlock Squad Size II at risk. Taking PFCs in May and June is always a calculated risk, and generally something best left to crashed fighters and crashed fighters only.

In other news, this isn't anything we need to worry about for probably a couple months (of real time; like 6 more months of game time), but I might need a guest commentator for some videos at some point. The short version is that I have a disability that occasionally (and unpredictably) just wrecks my ability to speak for an equally unpredictable amount of time. Usually about a week, sometimes a couple days, on very special occasions a couple of months. Fortunately, it doesn't render me mute or anything, but it does mean that I need to conserve my voice for important things like "work" and "being a functional human being who lives in a society" until such time as my vocal cords recover. For those of you who stick with this thread for a while, you'll start to see that problem crop up in later videos until it eventually reaches the point that I'm not talking at all.

Now, the video capture is fine, and I can always go back and add commentary in post. And my assumption is that I'll be recovered by the time I reach the point of needing to do commentary in post-production. But if not...if any of you want to guest commentate, that might be a thing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

KNOW YOUR ENEMY: THE SEEKER

Seekers are a delightful enemy to face most of the time. They don't have the firepower of a thin man, can't play mind games like a sectoid, and can't launch and flank you like floaters.

What they can do is strangle you. And cloak. And cloak and strangle you. And that's about it, unless you do something stupid.

Seekers have 2 main abilities:
1.) They can fly, with all the attendant bonuses of flight (see our entry on the floater).
2.) They can cloak at will, and then move around while cloaked.

Panicking (meaning the player, not the XCOM soldier panic) over a cloaked seeker is the best way to get yourself killed and turn an easy engagement into a wound or a death.

See, a seeker's first preference is to strangle you. It cloaks, goes up next to someone, uncloaks, and immediately starts just choking the poo poo out of that person. Choking does 1 damage on the first turn, then 2, then 4, then 8, and...then you're probably dead if for some reason you couldn't get out of the choke. But 1 damage? 1 damage is meaningless. It won't even go through the armor (I don't really know why armor HP is applied to choking, but it's probably just something the developers couldn't figure out a way to code around).

If a seeker can't strangle you, that's when it becomes dangerous. Because seekers have crazy high mobility and no need (or ability) to take cover. If they can't strangle you, they'll move to close range, flank you, and shoot you with their gun. Their gun doesn't do that much damage, but 2 crits from a seeker are still enough to kill most troops before the first armor upgrade, and will severely wound everyone else.

So, basically, you want to encourage seekers to try to strangle you. That way, everyone who isn't the target of strangulation will get an overwatch shot when it unloaks, and you might even kill it off before it applies the choke.

How to kill them: Are you fighting nothing but seekers? Just bunch up and go on overwatch until each seeker uncloaks and gets murdered while trying to choke you.

Are you fighting seekers plus something else? You still want endless overwatch unless the something else has squadsight. A cloaked seeker acting as a spotter for an offscreen thin man sniper (or worse) needs to be murdered immediately. Throwing a battle scanner will uncloak all seekers in the area--and also keep them from recloaking. AOE skills (grenades and rockets, mostly) that hit a seeker will also cause them to uncloak. If you have a rocket prepped on the first turn you discover seekers and they all cloak, just huck a rocket toward where they used to be. You'll likely kill all of them.

But unless you need to kill the seeker because of a pressing threat (or because you've got meld on a timer or something), don't force them to uncloak with a battle scanner. A seeker that's battle scanned won't be able to re-cloak and will start going in for flank shots, which are MUCH more dangerous. Only throw a battle scanner if you know you can kill the whole pod! There is nothing more frustrating than getting killed by seekers that just want to cloak, but you prevented them from doing so and then took incoming fire after failing to kill the pod.

Oh, and seekers also drop some incidental alien alloys and elerium when you kill them, which is nice. Especially b/c they don't drop weapon fragments.

Anyway, an incredibly easy enemy so long as you plan properly for them and follow the "is there something else I need to worry about" flowchart.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seekers' whole gimmick is crippled by the way pods work. They want to sneak up on lone snipers etc. and strangle them... but they can only cloak once you've seen them, so they're never a surprise, you always know exactly how many of them are active, and you have plenty of time to set up before they actually do anything.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I would be up to try guest-commenting. I've never been on an LP before, but I have played a full campaign of Long War, so I mostly know what's going on. Although you may have to enlighten me on some of your strategic/tactical choices before I can say much about why something is happening.

Another possibility might be to switch to post commentary and do it via subtitles. Not sure how much extra work that is compared to just overlaying an extra voice track. I feel like there must be straightforward software for adding captions, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's freely available.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Woof, so many close calls last mission! Glad everyone made it through.

Question about Gene mods for when they come up. How do you usually assign them? Do you shore up weaknesses or sharpen natural strengths?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Woof, so many close calls last mission! Glad everyone made it through.

Question about Gene mods for when they come up. How do you usually assign them? Do you shore up weaknesses or sharpen natural strengths?

There are 2 gene mods I will always do:
1.) My best sniper gets adrenal neurosympathy (+10 aim, +5 crit, +2 mobility to anyone who seems him kill something, including the sniper himself). This is unlocked by the muton autopsy.
2.) We'll have an event later this month which'll require me to set up 1 soldier to do very dangerous work. That soldier gets the jumpylegs, unlocked by the thin man autopsy.

Beyond that? Uh...turns out I was also pretty concerned as to how to handle gene mods, so despite the fact you'll see me with just an absolutely LUDICROUS amount of meld in the near future, I indulge in the thread's original request to get a bunch of killer robotmen. XCOM: XMen edition will wait until endgame.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
"The surgery was successful, but the patient was lost."

Great mission. But even with perfect knowledge, how could you have saved 10 civilians? You were in constant engagement and when you had a chance to breathe, 10 civilians were already dead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's basically how terror missions are (at least early on, it might change in late game). It's less "Save all civilians or terror will go up," and more "Terror is going up a ton, deal with it. You can maybe reduce the amount slightly by saving a civilian or two."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

megane posted:

That's basically how terror missions are (at least early on, it might change in late game). It's less "Save all civilians or terror will go up," and more "Terror is going up a ton, deal with it. You can maybe reduce the amount slightly by saving a civilian or two."

An extremely fun thing that we won't really see for a VERY long time is that when you raid an alien base, its host country rejoins the XCOM project at 80% panic. Because the aliens will run terror missions in the highest-panic country most of the time, and because it's virtually impossible to save 13+ civilians on a terror mission, it's pretty typical that the country you just took away from the aliens goes right back to the 95%+ panic danger zone.

You can get into a tug of war with the aliens over a country pretty easily, since you won't be able to shoot down the ship that launches terror missions for a really long time. And, typically by the time you're able to do it you need to conserve your capital ship-busting resources so that they can defend other more important things.