Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

food court bailiff posted:

I know this isn't the thread for that but gently caress it, I don't think there's a "cool scenes you loved in movies" thread here.

That thread should exist, someone go make one. I would except now I'm on the spot and can't remember any cool scenes I loved in movies :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That thread should exist, someone go make one. I would except now I'm on the spot and can't remember any cool scenes I loved in movies :(

You're clearly not a man in his early to mid 30s who instinctively start talking about the lobby scene in the Matrix. It's weird that in our old age home that will be the common denominator for my generation.

Or the skydiving and bank robbery in Point Break for our older brothers. Keanu has blessed us for 40 years now. :3:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keanu's filmic peak is kicking deaths rear end in various childrens boardgames

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

jojoinnit posted:

You're clearly not a man in his early to mid 30s who instinctively start talking about the lobby scene in the Matrix. It's weird that in our old age home that will be the common denominator for my generation.

Or the skydiving and bank robbery in Point Break for our older brothers. Keanu has blessed us for 40 years now. :3:

I will talk about Blade's opening scenes anyday, everyday.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Everything is Marvel and Marvel is forever so we must always talk about the movies. For one, the Quicksilver scenes in the XMEN movies.

As another example (give it time) Kingsman 1, the church slaughter.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RareAcumen posted:

Everything is Marvel and Marvel is forever so we must always talk about the movies. For one, the Quicksilver scenes in the XMEN movies.

That Kingsman scene has an inversion of one of my irrationally irritating movie things - Colin Firth's gun has the amount of ammo in it they say it has earlier in the film. He fires the correct number of rounds before it runs dry and he has to reload. It's very satisfying.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Rise now, ride to ruin, and the world's ending.

That scene will never, ever get old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdknqszMDY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Title suggestions anyone?

Edit: Awefully Awesome Movie Moments ?

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jul 2, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There is this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486627 It says subtle moments but I have noticed a lot of awesome things being posted in it too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader posted:

Rise now, ride to ruin, and the world's ending.

That scene will never, ever get old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdknqszMDY

I like when they joyfully touch their tips.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have never seen this many people who disliked Into the Spiderverse in one place at the same time. And I read YouTube comments. Amazing.
Seriously. I'm lukewarm on comics in General and Spiderman is on the bottom of my list, but Spiderverse was good, even though I didn't really like how they did Kingpin.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's one!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Seriously. I'm lukewarm on comics in General and Spiderman is on the bottom of my list, but Spiderverse was good, even though I didn't really like how they did Kingpin.

The Kingpin design was taken straight from Bill Sienkiewicz's rendition in Daredevil: Love & War.

I love Bill Sienkiewicz's art so it was a great callback for me. That said I understand if that design doesn't float your boat. We can like different things!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That's really neat, I liked the design too. I just kept wondering how his skeleton looked.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was very thrown by Kingpin talking like a mafioso but apparently that's taken from a real comic run as well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RareAcumen posted:

Okay yes I agree with both of these :buddy:

loving love Kingsman.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I love Bill Sienkiewicz's art so it was a great callback for me. That said I understand if that design doesn't float your boat. We can like different things!
Who told you that?!?! Sounds fishy to me op

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Okay yes I agree with both of these :buddy:

loving love Kingsman.

Since it came up, here's my irrational thing with Kingsmen. Eggsy didn't pass the trials but is given all the power in the plan to save the world while the much more competent candidate who did pass the trials spends most of the movie off-screen and in space because she's the girl. There's one other woman in the movie and she's just there for an anal sex joke.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Since it came up, here's my irrational thing with Kingsmen. Eggsy didn't pass the trials but is given all the power in the plan to save the world while the much more competent candidate who did pass the trials spends most of the movie off-screen and in space because she's the girl. There's one other woman in the movie and she's just there for an anal sex joke.

It gets worse in the sequel when the kill the girl from the first one off in such a random and unclear way that people were left wondering where she'd gone for the rest of the movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Kingsman: The Secret Service is based of a Mark Millar comic, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the story will be misogynistic & mean-spirited.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In his Kickass 2 comic the bad guy rapes high school girls

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

In his Wanted comic the main character has a big long monologue about murder raping his way through a police department

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rationally Irritating Mark Millar Moments

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mark Millar should be thrown into a volcano

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Wasn't that girl kickass hooked up with in the kickass 2 movie a high school girl? He definitely tries to rape her in the movie too even though it's played off as a joke.

The entire kickass 2 is a

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Rationally Irritating Mark Millar Moments

...like how could they suddenly forget everything about the first movie that made it good? Were there really people out there clamoring for the sequel to be more dark and ~tWiZtEd~? Could have been decent if they hadn't made mclovin a rapist, got rid of the weird semi-romantic subtext with Mindy/kickass, not introduced that giant russian lady and the rest of his gang, and made the plot entirely different. So basically throw it all in the trash, where it belongs.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Don't read Mark Millar books

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Recommending Millar should be a crime.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Mark Millar loving sucks

I guess I've made this point

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mark Millar has hit the sweet spot where everything he writes is so bad that no movie adaptation can be worse.

They're not good either, but still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Kingsman: The Secret Service is based of a Mark Millar comic, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the story will be misogynistic & mean-spirited.

It turns out Mark Millar didn't write The Secret Service.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I guess I've made this point
The truth can not be too oft repeated.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Wasn't that girl kickass hooked up with in the kickass 2 movie a high school girl? He definitely tries to rape her in the movie too even though it's played off as a joke.

quote:

it's played off as a joke

:catstare:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I guess played for laughs would be more accurate. We're clearly supposed to find it funny that mclovin cant get hard to rape the girl.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Basebf555 posted:

It gets worse in the sequel when the kill the girl from the first one off in such a random and unclear way that people were left wondering where she'd gone for the rest of the movie.

Kingsman 2 was so bad in that regard that it was almost impressive - not only did they kill off every returning character, but they also brought back the characters that died in the first movie.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

jojoinnit posted:

Amen

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Kingsman 2 was so bad in that regard that it was almost impressive - not only did they kill off every returning character, but they also brought back the characters that died in the first movie.

Not only that, they brought back Firth in the most disappointing way possible, almost as if it was a joke on the audience. They were like, ok you all said you didn't want a sequel without him, well be careful what you wish for, he's back but he's got amnesia for 3/4 of the movie!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

I watched an episode of Family Guy (I was on a flight, there wasn't much else to do) and they did a near-perfect homage to the church scene from Kingsman with Chris and Meg slaughtering about a hundred of their fellow high school students. So yeah, it's in the zeitgeist now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I guess played for laughs would be more accurate. We're clearly supposed to find it funny that mclovin cant get hard to rape the girl.

I've never seen it. That was a "they did WHAT?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuringa posted:

Mark Millar has hit the sweet spot where everything he writes is so bad that no movie adaptation can be worse.

They're not good either, but still.

Red Son is considered either a fluke or stolen. Well, the ending was flat out a recycled pitch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Schubalts posted:

I've never seen it. That was a "they did WHAT?"

the comic is worse apparently. Iirc mclovin character implies they are going to gangrape her mouth. It's implied they do

it's okay though because she's kickass' cheating ex or whatever

original Wanted comic ending (the comic also has the secret society letting them rape celebrities with impunity)

yeah uh Mark Millar is something else

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Memento posted:

I watched an episode of Family Guy (I was on a flight, there wasn't much else to do) and they did a near-perfect homage to the church scene from Kingsman with Chris and Meg slaughtering about a hundred of their fellow high school students. So yeah, it's in the zeitgeist now.

Oh I didn't even mean popular I just meant eventually Kingsman will also become a comic series that Marvel owns. Although, since it's a Disney thing I guess they kinda do in a loose 'by association' way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Voyager I posted:

Yet it is responsible for rocketman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

the comic is worse apparently. Iirc mclovin character implies they are going to gangrape her mouth. It's implied they do

it's okay though because she's kickass' cheating ex or whatever

original Wanted comic ending (the comic also has the secret society letting them rape celebrities with impunity)

yeah uh Mark Millar is something else

Ugh. I was okay with Wanted until they tried to pull that Millar in the final scene. "What the gently caress did you do today???"

Even as a dumb teenager it was bullshit and not cool because he didn't do anything either. He was found, trained, then pointed in the right direction for the plot. drat did that attempt to sound cool fail so hard to me. That movie was so forgettable but the shock of that last line means I'll remember and hate it for far longer than many good films. I should have forgotten it donkeys ears ago but it just sucked so hard that I can't. It's almost impressive.

E: Oh I meant to ask why we call his characters McLovin? Is that a thing (?) cause it works and I approve.