Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I'm still willing to believe there's an intended way to get through there I didn't find because it's so weird.

But hey, once you get a certain shard (and farm a different passive + its upgrade ingredients a whole bunch) underwater travel will be just fine!

Considering how I haven't heard of anyone finding a different way through, I think that Aqua Stream is the only way. I had to look it up because I couldn't find a way through without it. Add a screen before needing to go underwater with a one-off of those enemies popping up on land with a 100% chance at it dropping the Aqua Stream shard. Problem mostly solved.

Even better, make the first of each type of enemy defeated drop its shard. That would cut down on the farming quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

MadDogMike posted:

I've finally gotten into Witcher 3, and while this is a VERY good game overall it does have a couple annoyances I've found thus far in the first non-prologue area:

4. My top irritation, the open world level scaling does not have any clear regional separation on what's found where or even an ability to check the level. High level crap is randomly mixed in with at-level stuff; go fight some wolves at level and a skull level leshy pops up and insta-kills with one hit at full health. You can't even check levels before fights when you do see enemies, by the time you move close enough to see the health bar with a skull on it the enemy sees you too and comes eat your face. Assuming it doesn't do anything like let you loot a container at a map point then spawn the killer skull level creature right behind you. No warning about even the spawn, much less any prayer of knowing what level comes up without the player having psychic powers. Level gating in an open world only works when it's a GATE; if you can suddenly at any moment cross into Hurtsville without warning it's not a way to keep content away until later, it's a random gently caress you mechanic.

Thankfully the game's moddable so some people have fixed some of these issues and a few others (I already took all fall damage away, correctly guessed how bad navigating in the world would be otherwise before I started), but it does have a lot of basic gameplay design issues in the vanilla setup that seemed avoidable with a little thought by the designers.

This is actually one of the things I liked about the game, felt more realistic to me that as a monster hunter you would occasionally come across some ridiculous behemoth wandering through the forest that you had to run away from, gives the game an element of danger and suspense. Didn't happen often on my playthrough, but it was a good suprise when it did, and I don't think I ever found a monster (with the exception of some level 8 bajillion rock monster chilling outside a wyvern nest that scared the crap out of me) that I wasn't able to escape. It would be nice, however, if Geralt didn't have glass ankles and a papiermache spine for those moments when you do need to run down a hillside with a hellbeast behind you.

exquisite tea posted:

The super annoying thing about this in TW3 is that even if you pull off something cool and loot a chest from an elite monster inexplicably placed in the middle of a level 7 zone, the items you get from that will have a much higher level requirement as well, so there's basically no benefit to trying. Worse still is that crafting plans for the best Witcher gear require every prior blueprint made prior to it, so you can't even go out of the intended sequence.

This is very valid, and a criticism I have of too many RPGs to be honest. For what possible reason can I, the all powerful chosen one, not wield the blade of megadicks I just found until I've spent another hour stamping on rats? How much extra training do I need to pick up a sword the exact same size as the one I'm already holding, just with better enchantments? Just about every RPG I've got on my playlist at the moment has items queued in my inventory that I can't yet use because I'm the sort of weeb that does every sidequest to get over-powered weapons and abilities, and then I'm not allowed to use them until I'm the same power as everything else. What exactly is wrong with a player making themselves overpowered via putting in a level of effort into the game that most wont bother with? Seems like a hosed up reward system.

Actually, while I'm on my soapbox, level scaling implementation in general tends to wind me up for the same reasons. I play RPGs because I like the sense of progress, the feeling of becoming more and more powerful and dangerous as the game goes on. Nothing disappoints me more than putting hours of my life into becoming Captain Bastard, genocidal murder machine and wielder of the sacred axe of bloodlust, only to come across some skeletons/zombies/spiders that take exactly as many hits to kill as the ones in the early game because they are inexplicably the same level as me. I've turned myself into a small demi-god, how about giving me a bunch of level 5 enemies that gave me trouble in the early game and letting me have at it? Would that simply be too much fun?

RGX has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jul 1, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cleretic posted:

I'm still only doing everyone's first chapters, but Octopath Traveler is a really fun and relatively light-hearted classic-style JRPG, that I could imagine being fantastic for nearly any age.

...except for one character's story. Primrose, the dancer, has a story that just feels completely out of step with the entire rest of the game in both content and tone. It's just really dark and brutal out of basically nowhere, and deals with subject matter so much more adult than the rest of the game's standard fare that I'm not surprised that in some countries it raised the game's classification rating by itself. I know it did, because it's the only part of the game doing one of the things that gets blipped on the Australian classification message on my game's box.

It's still a decent story, but the rest of the game is totally in-keeping with stuff like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon or one of the softer Final Fantasies, and then you've got this one character whose story feels more at home as a darker turn in something like Dragon Age or The Witcher. It's a crazy level of whiplash.

I'm nearing the end of Octopath Traveler now. This problem hasn't gone away--in fact it's gotten worse over time, as Primrose's final chapter especially starts pulling things that are both thematically and mechanically unlike any of the other seven stories. It's not doing anything explicitly wrong, and I would actually really like the final chapter of her story in isolation, but it clashes really hard. Octopath was apparently partly inspired by what the team liked about Final Fantasy VI, so it only makes sense that somewhere in there is a twisted, funhouse-mirror take on the opera scene. But it goes way harder on flashbacks than anything else, makes a fight into some kinda metaphorical conflict which is honestly just baffling... and then it throws a two-form boss at you, which the rest of the game has never done, and it suffers for it.

It actually gets really clear over time that each of the eight party member stories had different writers, who came up with the broad strokes of the setting before splitting up to write the chapters and did not communicate with each other when doing that second part. For the most part it's fine, but you've got Primrose's story taking really sharp tonal and structural left turns compared to the rest of them, and also two others that rip plot holes into each other. Cyrus the scholar's story is about tracking down an ancient spellbook from the fallen kingdom of Hornburg, at the end piecing together a lost Hornburgian myth related to it. Which is great... except for the existence of Olberic the knight, who's been in hiding since the fall of Hornburg only eight years before. Their stories logically can't really coexist, as one claims Hornburg's culture to be long-lost while the other requires the kingdom to have fallen recently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RGX posted:

Actually, while I'm on my soapbox, level scaling implementation in general tends to wind me up for the same reasons. I play RPGs because I like the sense of progress, the feeling of becoming more and more powerful and dangerous as the game goes on. Nothing disappoints me more than putting hours of my life into becoming Captain Bastard, genocidal murder machine and wielder of the sacred axe of bloodlust, only to come across some skeletons/zombies/spiders that take exactly as many hits to kill as the ones in the early game because they are inexplicably the same level as me. I've turned myself into a small demi-god, how about giving me a bunch of level 5 enemies that gave me trouble in the early game and letting me have at it? Would that simply be too much fun?

I'm not opposed to level scaling as a way to keep content relevant, because I like to clear out everything in a zone before I move on in RPGs and it's lame when you jump so far ahead of the leveling curve that nothing for the next 70 hours poses any threat. BUT I do think that if you come across some weapon or armor that took a bit of effort to get, it should 1) be available for immediate use, and 2) be way overbudgeted compared to anything else you could find in that level range, so that it remains powerful for a long time. I liked how in Assassin's Creed Odyssey you could just keep upgrading whatever weapon you liked all the way through max level.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Borderlands 2, finished the first playthrough, and I'm doing the DLC stuff. I like the game, like the DLC, but I thought enemies were supposed to scale to your level? Or do I have to do the True Vault Hunter playthrough just so I can do the DLC with some semblance of a challenge?

I guess I could just play enough of it to get to the first fast travel station and then do the DLC, but that seems like such a pain in the rear end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

I'm playing Borderlands 2, finished the first playthrough, and I'm doing the DLC stuff. I like the game, like the DLC, but I thought enemies were supposed to scale to your level? Or do I have to do the True Vault Hunter playthrough just so I can do the DLC with some semblance of a challenge?

I guess I could just play enough of it to get to the first fast travel station and then do the DLC, but that seems like such a pain in the rear end.

I tried that. If you jump right to the dlc in TVH it will just destroy you because of the poo poo rear end difficulty curve.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Professor Wayne posted:

At least Witcher 3 had so much content that I didn't feel like I was missing out on much by telling anyone who wanted to race or play Gwent to gently caress off.

Conversely, I was really sick of these loving monsters and bandits getting in the way of my journey to be the world's greatest Gwent player.

RGX posted:

This is actually one of the things I liked about the game, felt more realistic to me that as a monster hunter you would occasionally come across some ridiculous behemoth wandering through the forest that you had to run away from, gives the game an element of danger and suspense. Didn't happen often on my playthrough, but it was a good suprise when it did, and I don't think I ever found a monster (with the exception of some level 8 bajillion rock monster chilling outside a wyvern nest that scared the crap out of me) that I wasn't able to escape. It would be nice, however, if Geralt didn't have glass ankles and a papiermache spine for those moments when you do need to run down a hillside with a hellbeast behind you.

I felt the same way. The first time I saw a Leshen I was NOT prepared for it, was just cutting through the woods to get to a location on my map and it wandered up on me. I think it was like level 20+ and I was level 7 or so. I noped out of there real quick and went to hide in some hills but could see it stalking around below me the entire time. That design is loving amazing.

New Leaf has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jul 1, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

IIRC only TVHM scales everything to you in the DLC so I think that’s exactly what you have to do if you aren’t right at the intended level for whichever DLC you want to do

BL2 in general makes you work way too much to actually get a balanced game. There’s a very narrow range of levels and stats where it approximates a good skill-based action game except you have to proactively keep yourself there and it just turns into smashing numbers against bigger numbers the moment you fall out of that range (also the garbage nonlinear level scaling between you, weapons and enemies means there is eventually no way to get a balanced game anymore)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

hey now, i played risk on windows 98, don't you tell me we had poo poo games.

Risk '98 loving ruled with all the different maps and scenarios.

The only thing dragging it down is you can't get it to run on anything anymore.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
After 100%ing Enter the Gungeon twice, I can safely say that I hate every single boss that isn't the Old King or the Past fights. Every boss is either piss-easy (gorgun, dragun, bullet twins), literally-making GBS threads-bricks stupid (AMMOCONDA, High Priest if only because of the random bullets that come from the loving side of the screen, and the second part of the Rat fight), or just loving boring (every other boss)

Byzantine posted:

Risk '98 loving ruled with all the different maps and scenarios.

The only thing dragging it down is you can't get it to run on anything anymore.

This is why we need Risk Remastered.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not opposed to level scaling as a way to keep content relevant, because I like to clear out everything in a zone before I move on in RPGs and it's lame when you jump so far ahead of the leveling curve that nothing for the next 70 hours poses any threat. BUT I do think that if you come across some weapon or armor that took a bit of effort to get, it should 1) be available for immediate use, and 2) be way overbudgeted compared to anything else you could find in that level range, so that it remains powerful for a long time. I liked how in Assassin's Creed Odyssey you could just keep upgrading whatever weapon you liked all the way through max level.

True, I guess I meant more in the sense that its fine as a high level character to give me high level enemies, but not the same old cannon fodder I fought at the start of the game with a bigger number above their heads. I'd like to see more games where in later levels there's lots of low level cannon fodder to sweep to one side to make you feel powerful and that your playtime meant something, interspersed with occasional very high level monsters to keep things interesting/challenging. Everything being the same level as me wherever I go, from tiny spiders to huge rock golems just feels....too artificial? Totally agree on the weapon point, if I've traipsed my way all over the game map picking up pieces of lint and killing endless skippable mobs to get a weapon, it drat well better be usable and worth the effort.

While we're at it, I roll my eyes every time I wander into a cave or dungeon covered in webs with a scuttling in the background. Oh boy I wonder whats going to drop from the ceiling any minute? I'm not even an arachnophobe, I just think its pretty lazy at this point. Enemy variation is the easiest way to keep your game feeling fresh, surely you had a better idea than spiders/insect men?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games gotta get in their sexy spider ladies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When in doubt, just mix two together. Skeleton spiders, rat dragons, bearwolves, bladesnakes, etc.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Len posted:

I tried that. If you jump right to the dlc in TVH it will just destroy you because of the poo poo rear end difficulty curve.

its so horrible. im enjoying the hell out of bl2 on psvr but theres no way in hell im gonna bother with tvhm this time around

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The backstep move in Bloodstained is breaking my brain, it feels really counter-intuitive after dodging in pretty much every game ever. I keep dodging into the second boss' attacks because I'm running away then go 'poo poo' and hit it to dodge, sending Miriam flying backwards into a flaming sword.
And at the moment potions restore so little health as to be useless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah you are supposed to make lots of food I guess but ingredients are expensive or rarely drop.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I could grow real potatoes in less time than that dude in the village seems to need. Grandma wants her fries dammit! (even if she cant remember what they are called :3:)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
TW3 is probably the single most frustrating experience I've had with a game because there was so, SO much to love about it and I tried so very hard to get into it.

The monster scaling was the least of my issues and I actually kind of liked those "oh gently caress" moments.

But the constant micro managing, accessing sub menus, looking at the mini map instead of the world, along with really wonky looting controls just drove me bananas; along with everything else that was posted. I felt like it barely mattered what I hoovered up or crafted and that all the "strategy" was mostly busy work.

Great game in there somewhere but I couldn't be bothered to find it.

And I'm still not wild about HP sponges, armor class and damage dealing being the sole focus of tough vs. easy challenges in these games and still point to the Arkham series or the Zelda games as the best way to handle that issue.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I'm still willing to believe there's an intended way to get through there I didn't find because it's so weird.

But hey, once you get a certain shard (and farm a different passive + its upgrade ingredients a whole bunch) underwater travel will be just fine!

[Bloodstained]
Just want to pile on by saying that I was disappointed to find out the "certain shard" was NOT the one that makes you sink in water, it's one that you can get 95% of the way through the game (but only if you're good at fast platforming (and have a spear that lets you do the charge move))

I also got mad at the method to traversing the spikes at the top of the entrance hall having no hint, and being found in a previously revealed map square, essentially becoming a "have you tried looking literally everywhere in the castle, again??" check.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I also got mad at the method to traversing the spikes at the top of the entrance hall having no hint, and being found in a previously revealed map square, essentially becoming a "have you tried looking literally everywhere in the castle, again??" check.

I didn't find that until my pre-final boss roundup. I got through that area by jumping into the spikes and turning around mid-air so I'd fall deeper in, running with my i-frames and turning around in time to repeat the falling further act until I was through. I used the heal shard when I saw there was a second set, and just barely made it through the iron maiden part by grabbing it, pushing it as far as I could before taking damage, repeating, and eating all of my potions and food. :shepface:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
whose idea was it to have the hungriest grandmother inhabit the small town of everyoneisdeadville? Real good final reward, makes it worth trekking across the equivalent of the entire map for the ingredients for this buffet of five star meals.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

whose idea was it to have the hungriest grandmother inhabit the small town of everyoneisdeadville? Real good final reward, makes it worth trekking across the equivalent of the entire map for the ingredients for this buffet of five star meals.

My hat of infinite diamond bullets is confused, yet thankful.
Glutton grandma is still more fun to feed than just throwing random gear at the priest.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally picked up Vanquish on PC from the Steam sale for $5 after wanting to play it for about a decade. Actual gameplay is a lot more straightforward than I was expecting from the ridiculous cutscenes and is basically just Gears of War, but the main thing dragging it down for me is the weapon upgrade system. If the same type of weapon you're using drops from an enemy or chest, it can be picked up to either refill the ammo to full or to put a point towards upgrading that weapon. After a few upgrade points the weapon will get a bonus like added capacity or damage, there are also rare drops to instantly upgrade any weapon to the next level. This incentivizes you to never actually use the weapons you like, since the fastest way to upgrade them is to make sure they're always at full ammo for the upgrade point if one drops in the wild. As long as you don't die (which reverts any upgrades you have a full level), this means you mostly rely on cycling through whichever weak weapons drop while you slowly upgrade the other ones in your inventory until they're maxed out and you can finally use them without it feeling like a waste. The basic weapons are still enough to get through the game on hardest difficulty and the kb+m controls help a lot, but it seems like a bad design choice.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thing dragging Vanquish for me is that it's a really fast shooter with lots of huge robots and explosions and what it really wants me to focus on is meter management. Every fun move is constrained, you can punch robots but the move has a 5 second cooldown.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

I had 3x of every food item anyway because alchemical bounty is insane and I like having passive bonuses.

Post poste posted:

My hat of infinite diamond bullets is confused, yet thankful.
Glutton grandma is still more fun to feed than just throwing random gear at the priest.

My least favorite questline was that guy who can't use a simple inventory item, and is too useless to just walk home.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just got Return of the Obra Dinn. The central thing is you have to deduce the fate of each person on the manifest of a ghost ship by using a magic watch on the corpses you find, which transports you to a vignette of their death.

Since all the deaths happened over a long period of time, many corpses aren’t on the ship. To get around this, their corpses appear in other people’s death vignettes, and discovering them puts a ghost image of their corpse into the real world, and then you interact with that to get their death vignette.

The vignettes have the screen fade to black, then it an audio of whatever happened. Then you’re transported to a static diorama of the scene and you walk around for a while, until it fades to your journal so you can fiddle around in it. Back out of the journal and you can continue to stay in the vignette or exit to the present at your leisure. That’s if there’s no corpses in the diorama.

If there is an extra corpse, then after backing out of the journal, your watch stops shaking and everything goes dark and ominous and pulses to a slow percussive beat. There was no tutorial like for the previous mechanics to tell you what this is. The first time this happened was during the vignette that was a bit more... surprising and extreme than the previous ones Kraken attack! and I thought my character was freaking out. I figured out eventually that this wasn’t it, it was the watch telling me to find the side corpse, which was highlighted though it was hard to tell. Can’t do anything until you find it.

So you do, then you’re booted back to the present. Then you’re frozen until you push a button to release a wisp trail from your still-shaking watch that leads to the location of the shadow corpse. Of course, you probably already know where it is, but you have to wait for the wisp to take its sweet time to get there before you can interact with it. And then then there’s another corpse or two in that vignette that I have to wait to complete until I’m given full control and dammit game I have to get to bed at a decent hour.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Jul 2, 2019

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Dr Christmas posted:

Just got Return of the Obra Dinn. The central thing is you have to deduce the fate of each person on the manifest of a ghost ship by using a magic watch on the corpses you find, which transports you to a vignette of their death.

Since all the deaths happened over a long period of time, many corpses aren’t on the ship. To get around this, their corpses appear in other people’s death vignettes, and discovering them puts a ghost image of their corpse into the real world, and then you interact with that to get their death vignette.

The vignettes have the screen fade to black, then it an audio of whatever happened. Then you’re transported to a static diorama of the scene and you walk around for a while, until it fades to your journal so you can fiddle around in it. Back out of the journal and you can continue to stay in the vignette or exit to the present at your leisure. That’s if there’s no corpses in the diorama.

If there is an extra corpse, then after backing out of the journal, your watch stops shaking and everything goes dark and ominous and pulses to a slow percussive beat. There was no tutorial like for the previous mechanics to tell you what this is. The first time this happened was during the vignette that was a bit more... surprising and extreme than the previous ones Kraken attack! and I thought my character was freaking out. I figured out eventually that this wasn’t it, it was the watch telling me to find the side corpse, which was highlighted though it was hard to tell. Can’t do anything until you find it.

So you do, then you’re booted back to the present. Then you’re frozen until you push a button to release a wisp trail from your still-shaking watch that leads to the location of the shadow corpse. Of course, you probably already know where it is, but you have to wait for the wisp to take its sweet time to get there before you can interact with it. And then then there’s another corpse or two in that vignette that I have to wait to complete until I’m given full control and dammit game I have to get to bed at a decent hour.

As someone who just plowed through that entire game in one sitting tonight, I share this complaint. The floaty wisp poo poo is neat the first few times, but I super don't care to watch it go around the rigging one or two times before finally getting to the point. Also I would prefer a way to go straight from flashback to flashback other than finding corpses in the flashback. It just feels clumsy to have to traverse two decks of the ship three or four times to complete a single timeline.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I think the wisp is deliberately slow, because I don't think you can re-set it. If you lose sight of it, you have to blindly try corpses until you get the right one.

The worst bit of the game for me was that one sequence where they're in the life-boats getting the mcguffin, and the only way to get to the corpses that died there is to chain your way through them from the first one; you can't jump in mid-sequence like the others

That said, I really enjoyed the game; I put it up with portal for 'innovative and good'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I think the wisp is deliberately slow, because I don't think you can re-set it. If you lose sight of it, you have to blindly try corpses until you get the right one.

The game is actually smarter than that, the wisp along with musical que, will just freeze in place until you get close enough.

Not that you should ever need the wisp to find anything considering how the wisp is triggered. Maybe they thought it'd be disorienting not to have a mechanic like this but for most I'd say scrap it. Really grating the further into the game you get.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MiddleOne posted:

The game is actually smarter than that, the wisp along with musical que, will just freeze in place until you get close enough.

It just has to be on-screen to move, which made all the more annoying when I stood where I knew the body was, but its circuitous bullshit took it around a staircase and it stopped because it floated out of sight. I had to move away from where it was going to make it get there.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

My least favorite questline was that guy who can't use a simple inventory item, and is too useless to just walk home.

You try walking home when you're in a castle full of deadly demons that killed all but six people in the village.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to like Dead Cells but this Hand of the King fight is just ridiculous. His forward slash can hit you from anywhere in the arena. You get close and you just get grenaded to death. Try and use ranged attacks and his projectile shield pops up. You have about a 1 second window to roll behind him and get a few strikes in, then he’ll just one or 2 shot you. You have no time to ever try and heal, even with the fast healing mutation. If you stop moving for even a second he’ll just swat you away and push you into the spikes. So far the most luck I’ve had is wolf traps but they only keep him down for a few seconds. Any build I try from Brutality to Tactics is just insanely ineffective. The only way I’ve gotten him to his third phase is just tons of dot damage and just jumping around the arena while his health slowly trickles down.

I can get to him pretty easy at this point but it’s just so frustrating to spend 35 minutes getting to him just to get rolled in 3 minutes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really want to like Dead Cells but this Hand of the King fight is just ridiculous. His forward slash can hit you from anywhere in the arena. You get close and you just get grenaded to death. Try and use ranged attacks and his projectile shield pops up. You have about a 1 second window to roll behind him and get a few strikes in, then he’ll just one or 2 shot you. You have no time to ever try and heal, even with the fast healing mutation. If you stop moving for even a second he’ll just swat you away and push you into the spikes. So far the most luck I’ve had is wolf traps but they only keep him down for a few seconds. Any build I try from Brutality to Tactics is just insanely ineffective. The only way I’ve gotten him to his third phase is just tons of dot damage and just jumping around the arena while his health slowly trickles down.

I can get to him pretty easy at this point but it’s just so frustrating to spend 35 minutes getting to him just to get rolled in 3 minutes.

Dead Cells is a fantastic idea with the execution gradually faltering the longer in you get until it finally collapses completely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MadDogMike posted:

2. The little loading movies may have seemed like a good way to remind people where they were in the story, but they repeat too much and run WAY too long. Can't even tell when you're able to skip them since they cover up the actual loading screens. At minimum a quick load that skips them when using the quick save should have been implemented.

GERALT AND YENNEFER WERE REUNITED,

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

You try walking home when you're in a castle full of deadly demons that killed all but six people in the village.

It's like two hallways of dogs and goo men. Man's a coward.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

It's like two hallways of dogs and goo men. Man's a coward.

those goo men killed some lady's husband, don't underestimate them if you're as dumb as Benny is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of the goo men, I hate how they don't drop a shard. There's like five enemies total that don't drop shards and when I scroll through the bestiary and see the little gap where they are, I think I've somehow missed a shard.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What power could you possibly gain from a goo man shard

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

What power could you possibly gain from a goo man shard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAORNCSkGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

[Bloodstained]
you can get 95% of the way through the game (but only if you're good at fast platforming (and have a spear that lets you do the charge move))

I just used the upgraded laserteleport to cheese that.