Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I believe it was the clam-shell gens. GX150 up to maybe the GX600 series. This was Pentium 3-4 days, long while back.

I have a Dell C226 (Haswell) motherboard and it absolutely does not have a standard ATX connector, it’s 8 pins instead of 24.

e: I’m not bothered by this one bit, the motherboard was a replacement and normally that chipset goes for over $100. Since Dell needs to be such a special snowflake, the board’s resale value is like only $40 and I just needed a $4 adapter to make it work.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I present the Islay Canyon NUC that everybody waited for (???)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was going to say that would be a killer (if vastly overpowered) HTPC but it looks like there are some hang ups with the AMD GPU and some DRM and encoding schemes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, I think the key takeaway is the review's concluding sentence:

quote:

Considering pricing of the systems, it is not completely clear how Intel is positioning its Islay Canyon NUCs against its own Bean Canyon machines that are priced similarly, yet they feature higher CPU performance, similar GPU performance, and a better feature set when it comes to media playback.

Intel already has better NUCs for the same price, so it's kind of a bizarre addition to the stack.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 1, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If the price wasn't like $800+ on those NUC's and was instead something closer to $400-500 they'd be lots more interesting.

Especially given the very low base clocks (~1.8Ghz) of those CPU's despite initially impressive looking boost clocks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
On this note, the J5005 NUC now appears to be discontinued, B&H won't even let you backorder it anymore :rip:

Shame, it makes a cute little HTPC.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If the price wasn't like $800+ on those NUC's and was instead something closer to $400-500 they'd be lots more interesting.

Especially given the very low base clocks (~1.8Ghz) of those CPU's despite initially impressive looking boost clocks.

Intel's idea of a NUC: a premium miniaturised PC, filling all your computing needs.

Everyone else's idea of a NUC: a cheap second PC that can play movies or something

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Like a Mac Mini, but more expensive and made of plastic

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
jfc how many movies are you roustabouts laying around watching

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most technology purchased by people over about 22 is bought for aspirations of things that actually never happen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The heart of the issue is that playing a movie or something is all of most people's computing needs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

K8.0 posted:

Most technology purchased by people over about 22 is bought for aspirations of things that actually never happen.

You shut the gently caress up with your truth speaking!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

K8.0 posted:

Also my house needs a dining room in case I host Thanksgiving here

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

This applies to way too many of my purchases

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

canyoneer posted:

Also my house needs a dining room in case I host Thanksgiving here

This hit home in a way nothing should, and I dont even have a dining room.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

K8.0 posted:

Well poo poo

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

running benchmarks all day that sorta guesstimate what it might be like to ever actually play a game

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ItBreathes posted:

The heart of the issue is that playing a movie or something is all of most people's computing needs.

Yeah. But that computing need is met by whichever $249 shitbox is sold by big box stores near you.

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: Existential Meltdowns ITT

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

running benchmarks all day that sorta guesstimate what it might be like to ever actually play a game

It's not a total loss - you also use your machine to post your benchmarks so other people can make informed decisions for their own benchmark machines!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Stickman posted:

It's not a total loss - you also use your machine to post your benchmarks so other people can make informed decisions for their own benchmark machines!

just thinking out loud...but what about a benchmark posting benchmark??? :2bong:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
benchmarkmark?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sounds like it'd be easy to fall down the rabbit hole unless you could construct some kind of self-looping quine benchmark.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Stickman posted:

Sounds like it'd be easy to fall down the rabbit hole unless you could construct some kind of self-looping quine benchmark.

well, that's what the add-on nucs are for

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bulgakov posted:

owning a 9900K rig to play games from 2007 really fast

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I unironically want to build a new PC to play old, unoptimized games like Starcraft 2 at better framerate.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Otakufag posted:

I unironically want to build a new PC to play old, unoptimized games like Starcraft 2 at better framerate.

Bad news. StarCraft 2's engine is the problem here. It doesn't use multicore at all and even throwing a 9900k or some other Intel chip with a huge single core OC at it won't eliminate fps drops in large battles.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
How are Blizzard so poo poo at programming? It's not like they're a small indie studio that can't attract top talent.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Got my 4770k to 4.4GHz at 1.28V right now, input voltage of 1.9V, and it seems quite stable. Using an Asus Z87 Sabertooth board, it has been straightforward enough to overclock.

Should I be concerned at that voltage though? I read 1.25V is considered safe on air, and I guess I am a bit past it, but I haven't had bad thermals except under Prime95 which is such an outlier for heat. Under gaming conditions and general use I've not seen higher than ~60ºC.

Kinda weird waiting to overclock until 4 years after I put together the comp (with then-2 year old parts) I know but it just kept being enough until suddenly it wasn't, you know? I still don't run into many day to day computing scenarios that kill it, but with a RTX 2070 from EVGA's 700/900 step-up promotion on the way, I bet I will be seeing its limits in some modern games. Should at least be a bit better at 4400ghz versus the 3500ghz stock, I guess.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lDDQD posted:

How are Blizzard so poo poo at programming? It's not like they're a small indie studio that can't attract top talent.
That's the problem. Throwing more people at things creates new problems and decreases quality in spots that require savant-like insight into the final product.

SC2 fps doesn't dip much. I play(ed) it on a 3770k and never had fps dips that impacted playability even in team games. Admittedly, I haven't played since the first expansion so I don't know if they did anything dumb since then.

Parallelizing something like the SC2 engine requires designing it as parallel from the ground up. It's likely SC2 started development in the pentium4 era, aka no multicore. It wasn't on their radar, and it's not really something you can go back and add in later to a complex lockstep simulation.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 3, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sandy bridge was just coming out when SC2 released. Most people's processors were older dual-core systems at best. It made zero sense for blizzard to code their engine to take advantage of systems with 4 or 8 cores when that hardware barely existed in the consumer space.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Agreed posted:

Got my 4770k to 4.4GHz at 1.28V right now, input voltage of 1.9V, and it seems quite stable. Using an Asus Z87 Sabertooth board, it has been straightforward enough to overclock.

Should I be concerned at that voltage though? I read 1.25V is considered safe on air, and I guess I am a bit past it, but I haven't had bad thermals except under Prime95 which is such an outlier for heat. Under gaming conditions and general use I've not seen higher than ~60ºC.

Kinda weird waiting to overclock until 4 years after I put together the comp (with then-2 year old parts) I know but it just kept being enough until suddenly it wasn't, you know? I still don't run into many day to day computing scenarios that kill it, but with a RTX 2070 from EVGA's 700/900 step-up promotion on the way, I bet I will be seeing its limits in some modern games. Should at least be a bit better at 4400ghz versus the 3500ghz stock, I guess.

Factory sticker says 1.4vcore is safe and plenty of people are driving theirs upwards of 1.5v for years without ill effect. You should be well within tolerance.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

If you set the voltage to 1.9 and are only seeing 1.28 I would be worried that the reading isn’t accurate. Do you know about LLC and how it works?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haswell has a onboard voltage regulator. The input voltage is the voltage it's getting fed to power the whole chip 1.9 V is very reasonable. I think mine is set to 1.88

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Input voltage is different from vcore. 1.9V is only a bit higher than stock input voltage. My vcore is set to 1.28V, and vid reads appropriately for that in monitoring software.

I do know about LLC and how it works, I used offset voltage with Sandy Bridge and got pretty familiar as it was a big help to my OC stability. I haven't messed with it for this overclock though, trusting my mobo to handle that for now. Still making sure my clocks and voltage are stable at a manually set value before trying to get it working with offset.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 3, 2019

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

suck my woke dick posted:

Intel's idea of a NUC: a premium miniaturised PC, filling all your computing needs.

Everyone else's idea of a NUC: a cheap second PC that can play movies or something

I use one as a remote work desktop, since with the VESA mount it takes no desk space and even the i3-5010U in mine is more than capable of keeping up with MS Office and terminal windows. Helped that I wasn't the one paying for it so I got to throw in 16GB of RAM "just in case".

No idea what the point of this model is though. Like the article said, it made a bit of sense when they were sticking iGPU-less Cannon Lake with RX540s because that allowed them to say "hey, 10nm is shipping in retail products!" The 8250U is a 14nm chip with an iGPU though, and it's not much worse than an RX540 so why bother?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

suck my woke dick posted:

So I apologize in advance if my sarcasm detector is just broken cuz' with specs like that there is no way those NUC's are a premium PC. Nor is the build quality all that impressive.

They are very compact which is kinda slick but compact isn't the same as premium or impressive or "offers reasonable value for price".

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So I apologize in advance if my sarcasm detector is just broken cuz' with specs like that there is no way those NUC's are a premium PC. Nor is the build quality all that impressive.

They are very compact which is kinda slick but compact isn't the same as premium or impressive or "offers reasonable value for price".

They use entire intel stack, thunderbolt+phy+wifi. Whether they are premium parts or not is debatable, but similar sff usually get the cheapest i/o parts they can get and basic USB-C.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Paul MaudDib posted:

games I've played since building the 9700K PC:
X3 Terran Conflict
Crusader Kings 2
Morrowind
3DMark (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The newest game I own is Portal 2 and that's the newest game I'm likely to play for the foreseeable future. My Haswell Pentium HTPC is plenty sufficient for my needs, gaming and otherwise, but I still really want to upgrade just to get a much smaller case. I could just get a new case and mini ITX mobo for it... or live with what I have... but I don't wanna.