Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Kawabata posted:

no you're not, after all the pokemon slogan is gotta ca- :(

I've already caught them all. Catching them all again sounds like a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

and none of the Wobbuffet jokes make sense

that's not exactly something the dub can control, considering the name in this country was decided by a different group of people entirely and the comedian who inspired the bit is completely unknown here.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That being said, it's nice how the more recent generations have taken more care with the localized names in general, not going for exact but similar meanings to the Japanese ones, instead of throwing out whatever they wanted like the first two without care of how it might factor into other facets of the franchise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I seem to remember Doug Dinsdale saying that he objected over Barrierd's English name being Mr. Mime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
in an alternate universe ditto is localized as mr. mime

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I just looked up how to get a Lucky Egg in GSC. Wild Chansey have a 2% chance of holding one, and Chansey only have a 1% encounter rate. If my math is right that means you need an average of 50 Chansey to find one, and that's about 5000 total encounters to find 50 Chansey.

EDIT: To put it into perspective the shiny chance in Gen 2 was 1/8192 so slightly less than twice as rare as a lucky egg.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 2, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Star Man posted:

I seem to remember Doug Dinsdale saying that he objected over Barrierd's English name being Mr. Mime.

Some alternate options:

• Mastermime (mime + mastermind)
  • Pantomind (mind + pantomime)
  • Mimegame (mime + mindgame)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they kept farfetch'd's pun kind of though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RatHat posted:

I just looked up how to get a Lucky Egg in GSC. Wild Chansey have a 2% chance of holding one, and Chansey only have a 1% encounter rate. If my math is right that means you need an average of 50 Chansey to find one, and that's about 5000 total encounters to find 50 Chansey.

EDIT: To put it into perspective the shiny chance in Gen 2 was 1/8192 so slightly less than twice as rare as a lucky egg.

it's the lucky egg not the handout egg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

Some alternate options:

• Mastermime (mime + mastermind)
  • Pantomind (mind + pantomime)
  • Mimegame (mime + mindgame)

I would think a name focused around his ability to create invisible walls would be more in line with how they go about names now.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Isn't the JP name simply "Barrier" ?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Everyone talks about Mr.Mime's name but no one thinks its weird that Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are named after real life people. Both in English and Japanese. Although in this case they don't do that anymore because Uri Geller tried to sue over Kadabra's Japanese name. Hence why it never appears in the anime or card game anymore.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

Everyone talks about Mr.Mime's name but no one thinks its weird that Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are named after real life people.

so is Kangaskhan

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Not only is it still going, they're still making Conan movies every single year. What's even better is when Avengers Endgame dropped, it was #1 in theaters for that weekend globally, except in Japan, where the #1 slot went to the newest Detective Conan film. It's like the Dragon Quest of legacy anime.

People complain about comicbook movies, but sometimes I imagine what it's like for Japanese parents watching half a dozen annualized anime/tokusatsu movies every year.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zuzie posted:

Although in this case they don't do that anymore because Uri Geller tried to sue over Kadabra's Japanese name. Hence why it never appears in the anime or card game anymore.

Didn't they even introduce a way to skip right from Abra to Alakhazam so they didnt need to print any more Kadabra cards?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RatHat posted:

Didn't they even introduce a way to skip right from Abra to Alakhazam so they didnt need to print any more Kadabra cards?

The very first set in the TCG had a card that lets you skip middle stages for evolutions (Pokemon Breeder), and I think that was before the lawsuit? Though I could be wrong there.

From what I can tell by looking at Bulbapedia, Alakazam doesn't get many new cards and most of them are just basic Pokemon, hilariously enough. You get to skip right over the Abra stage.

(Abra doesn't get any new cards either, oops. It's last new card was printed twelve years ago.)

Motto posted:

People complain about comic book movies, but sometimes I imagine what it's like for Japanese parents watching half a dozen annualized anime/tokusatsu movies every year.

Kamen Rider is cooler than anyone in the Avengers. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alloran posted:

Isn't the JP name simply "Barrier" ?

Barrierd, which is the same kinda name as "Pawniard", just with a shorter suffix.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now reading up on what the idiots on the internet are doing today re: National Dex. loving hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

is this any different from what we were discussing earlier?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1146176457783201793

The 4channers and others have latched on to this.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

is this any different from what we were discussing earlier?

Some chucklefuck thought that the best way to get Game Freak to put in the rest of the Pokemon into Sword and Shield is to set up a fake account and accuse Masuda of rape.

Because that's what a rational human being does when told that a video game won't have all the characters in it this time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel ill

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I liked how they ended their write-up with "#BringBackNationalDex" like that's what that supposed person would be most concerned with.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
TBH I'm rather annoyed that the "reasonable complaints" crowd, who were annoyed at the dynamax gimmick and possible direction of the series, have been completely overtaken in the public eyes by the "hooting chimpanzee" crowd, who seem intent on doing nothing but fling poo poo at masuda on twitter

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
video games were a mistake

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

TBH I'm rather annoyed that the "reasonable complaints" crowd, who were annoyed at the dynamax gimmick and possible direction of the series, have been completely overtaken in the public eyes by the "hooting chimpanzee" crowd, who seem intent on doing nothing but fling poo poo at masuda on twitter

Not being able to have all the Pokemon in Pokemon is still extraordinarily stupid, no matter what kind of repulsive poo poo people do

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zuzie posted:

Everyone talks about Mr.Mime's name but no one thinks its weird that Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are named after real life people. Both in English and Japanese. Although in this case they don't do that anymore because Uri Geller tried to sue over Kadabra's Japanese name. Hence why it never appears in the anime or card game anymore.

lol:

quote:

Geller also claimed that the star on Kadabra's forehead and the lightning patterns on its abdomen are symbolisms popular with the Waffen SS of Nazi Germany.[96] The katakana for the character's name, ユンゲラー, is visually similar to the transliteration of Geller's own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

Not being able to have all the Pokemon in Pokemon is still extraordinarily stupid, no matter what kind of repulsive poo poo people do

Well Game Freak have themselves to blame of going into feature creep and building a media empire around their games. They already explained that the plan going forward is to have Pokemon Home as the base of the player's operations while each of the games (Sword and Shield plus games going forward) is an "outing" for a specific selection of that collection. It's not an ideal situation, but its an inconvenience we'll have to get used to.

It's also not really something to receive death threats and false rape accusations for though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

:hai:

Zuzie posted:

Well Game Freak have themselves to blame of going into feature creep and building a media empire around their games. They already explained that the plan going forward is to have Pokemon Home as the base of the player's operations while each of the games (Sword and Shield plus games going forward) is an "outing" for a specific selection of that collection. It's not an ideal situation, but its an inconvenience we'll have to get used to.

It's also not really something to receive death threats and false rape accusations for though.

It also feels like GameFreak would rather do anything else but Pokemon, which is understandable but in that case, better have someone else do the development of the mainline games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At this point I think the best solution would be to have Nintendo work on a 'side' game like how Let's Go was a side game which is intended to provide the new engine and tooling and scripting for future mainline Pokemon games, since reading between the lines it sounds like they're hampered by horrific legacy code and frameworks but don't have time with the endless yearly cycle to build something new and better from scratch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've apparently been working on this since the development of the original Sun and Moon. It doesn't seem like a matter of simply requiring more time, and more that it's a herculean task by any standard, and has already been an area of the project they've had to deal with for several years already.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MikeJF posted:

At this point I think the best solution would be to have Nintendo work on a 'side' game like how Let's Go was a side game which is intended to provide the new engine and tooling and scripting for future mainline Pokemon games, since reading between the lines it sounds like they're hampered by horrific legacy code and frameworks but don't have time with the endless yearly cycle to build something new and better from scratch.

Or they can just, y'know, take a couple of years off from the awful yearly cycle. That poo poo sucks for any developer.

I've posted it before, but...

Assuming that Z was meant to come out in 2015 (which is a fair assumption to make), they haven't had a break in yearly titles since 2011. At this point they desperately need some time off to refresh themselves, recharge their creative juices, and put in some extra effort on the mainline titles to fix things like the legacy code and frameworks. At least, that's my opinion on it. :shrug:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Yeah this too. Just need to take a look at the item data in USUM and notice there are past games key items like the Red Chain (which was not even used when it was introduced) or the Type Gems, still missing ever since XY.

Edit: Also remembered that Hidden Power still can't be Fairy typed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stuff like past games' key items don't really take up much data in the code at all. They're a basic event trigger and a tiny image. If there's anything making the legacy code unwieldy, it's not stuff like that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ban all men from vidyagames. Okay we can include some men I guess

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The Golden Gael posted:

lol:

"Geller also claimed that the star on Kadabra's forehead and the lightning patterns on its abdomen are symbolisms popular with the Waffen SS of Nazi Germany.[96] The katakana for the character's name, ユンゲラー, is visually similar to the transliteration of Geller's own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."

I still laugh at this, what a loving tool. Sucks we'll never see Kadabra again until Uri Geller dies though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Violet_Sky posted:

Ban all men from vidyagames. Okay we can include some men I guess

Nah, ban all men. I'll take that L if it means not harassing and accusing a game director of rape just because all the tamagochis aren't in the new one.

Urgh, I hate this age where if a crowd doesn't like something, eventually they'll try and force some mob mentality to go on until people believe the thing is morally corrupt.

Like, i dunno, I feel like hatred and poo poo flinging at Masuda is way loving out there. He's a director that began as a music man in a tiny indie pocket RPG. Like the most repugnant thing about him is that at this stage of Pokemon, he works under the logic that things must still remain small and simple to a degree, because he's deathly afraid of the IP following the same fate as shmups. And that line of logic did work back in 2011 when it lead to Gen 5.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They could could justify the limited dex in sword and shield by saying that galar's government doesn't want to risk foreign pokemon becoming an invasive species if brought in and they breed.

And so the dex is also a list of 'approved' pokemon species.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Whalley posted:

never include a national dex again and from hereon out slowly delete more and more pokemon until the series is just ash, crying alone in a desolate patch of grass, screaming that he's sorry and he just wants his poke-friends back, but it's too late, they're gone

:yokotaro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The major sticking point with sword/shield that I feel is everyone’s biggest issue is the decision to not have the national dex. And from everything that’s been said about it I don’t think that decision was made due to time constraints

While giving the team more time or polishing up some code or whatever is probably a good idea I’m not sure that would necessarily be the big fix for the main issue everyone seems to have