Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah I'm not being fair to Razer here since I haven't used their laptops, their mouse division has issues though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
What does razer do for trackpad drivers? Because if they don't use loving synaptics drivers then I might consider getting one of their laptops for that alone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Razer uses windows precision drivers.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Coming from a guy used to mac trackpads, it blows rear end, but personal reports from friends with the same say its an OK windows trackpad. YMMV extremely based upon expectations is my thought. I use a mouse with it, with its little mouse bag for throwing into my laptop backpack when i travel.

e: i'm not joking either, i got this little padded mouse bag off amazon and it's chef-kissy-face

Sniep fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 3, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DrDork posted:

That's kinda the definition of a compromise, though--accepting the things you don't want (poor battery life / MPG) in order to get what you do want (performance). Ideally you could have both, but in both cases, physics is a bitch.

Well a compromise is more like, "bigger laptop = more space for cooling" and all of the parameters that are associated with that. Having weak battery life on a gaming laptop that isn't intended to be used while not plugged in in the first place is basically superfluous. Technically it is a tradeoff and you could remedy it by making the chassis bigger and just stuffing in a huge battery, but then you get into an actual compromise with portability & price. The overall point is that most gaming laptops don't get good battery life but it isn't an issue because they don't really need it.

Sniep posted:

Coming from a guy used to mac trackpads, it blows rear end, but personal reports from friends with the same say its an OK windows trackpad. YMMV extremely based upon expectations is my thought. I use a mouse with it, with its little mouse bag for throwing into my laptop backpack when i travel.

e: i'm not joking either, i got this little padded mouse bag off amazon and it's chef-kissy-face

Do you have a link to that bag? I've only used hard-shell cases for specific mice, but that type of pouch looks nice for mice that don't have (or need) a custom hard case.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Atomizer posted:

Do you have a link to that bag?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3XTP94

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Sniep posted:

ya'll hatin' on razer but i'm not seein that in evidence on their new poo poo. seems good af so far

They look awesome but god I would much rather have 144Hz with G-Sync than 240Hz without.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

space marine todd posted:

They look awesome but god I would much rather have 144Hz with G-Sync than 240Hz without.

i have the 144hz FHD model (base) and it typically is running at about 90-110fps out of 144, and i've noticed no tearing.

I don't know why there's no claim of g-sync but the variable FR has caused me exactly zero issues so far, idk if i just am not noticing it? or maybe the razer/nvidia software is helping out? idk.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thank you! :hfive:

Agreed. G-Sync is just useful, period, whereas if you'd expect to be able to play at 240 Hz you'd need some combination of a very high-end GPU, low graphical details/resolution, and/or an old, non-demanding game. That's not to say I don't love me some high-refresh displays, but just driving it requires...compromises.

Sniep posted:

i have the 144hz FHD model (base) and it typically is running at about 90-110fps out of 144, and i've noticed no tearing.

I don't know why there's no claim of g-sync but the variable FR has caused me exactly zero issues so far, idk if i just am not noticing it? or maybe the razer/nvidia software is helping out? idk.

Do you have V-sync enabled in the game and/or in the nVidia settings? Even if not, at higher refresh rates tearing is less obvious because the partial frames exist for a shorter period of time and thus are less noticeable.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Atomizer posted:

Even if not, at higher refresh rates tearing is less obvious because the partial frames exist for a shorter period of time and thus are less noticeable.

it's probably this, since i'm already hitting about 100fps on a 144hz panel, i probably am just not noticing.

g-sync (or freesync) seems to be a solution to a generally low-FR problem.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Do you have V-sync enabled in the game and/or in the nVidia settings? Even if not, at higher refresh rates tearing is less obvious because the partial frames exist for a shorter period of time and thus are less noticeable.

That makes a lot of sense. Still, when I was testing out a Razer Blade 2080 at the same time as an Alienware Area-51M with G-Sync, I could definitely feel a difference in user experience, especially in competitive FPS games.

It's a bummer too because the Razer Blades look so good.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

That makes a lot of sense. Still, when I was testing out a Razer Blade 2080 at the same time as an Alienware Area-51M with G-Sync, I could definitely feel a difference in user experience, especially in competitive FPS games.

It's a bummer too because the Razer Blades look so good.

to be fair you can go from ultra to high and peg the 144hz and just fr cap it there and call it a day lmao

its a goddamned RTX 2060 on a 1080p display

we win.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Well a compromise is more like, "bigger laptop = more space for cooling" and all of the parameters that are associated with that. Having weak battery life on a gaming laptop that isn't intended to be used while not plugged in in the first place is basically superfluous. Technically it is a tradeoff and you could remedy it by making the chassis bigger and just stuffing in a huge battery, but then you get into an actual compromise with portability & price. The overall point is that most gaming laptops don't get good battery life but it isn't an issue because they don't really need it.

Yeah, it's been surprising to me. I'm possibly in the market for a laptop myself after helping a friend pick up a Helios 300 and it sure seems like, so long as you don't care about battery life, gaming laptops beat the poo poo out of business laptops, at least in specs.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Remember that you’re not going to be running any sort of DGPU off of the battery in the first place, if you want to game on your gaming laptop, it is going to be plugged in

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sniep posted:

I do still agree that trying to cram in a 2080 into a laptop tho is kind of insane for most all use cases, but you can get a normalish laptop for normalish prices (for the build quality/aesthetic) and have it play games OK finally - which is sort of a new thing imho

With the RTX 2080 in my MSI Raider, I'm happier than a pig in poo poo. I have the GE63 model rather than the thinner, and a whole lot more expensive, GS63 slim model. I'm glad I went this route because I don't have faith in the thinner model being able to cool the components well enough. I've had several thin gaming notebooks and it just wasn't worth it in my experiences, the Blade, Zephyrus and Aero 15 would all start cooking after 10-20 minutes of gaming and thermal throttling was a given.

The Raider's been good to me though, so far the GPU's stayed relatively cool but the 8750 is still getting into the higher 80s which I'm not a fan of but I haven't noticed much, if any, throttling. I'm happy just gaming in 1080p (I've never experienced 4K gaming) and the 2080's just been eating everything I've thrown at it. I just finished up Metro Exodus with most setting maxed out with 60fps~ average at all times. I'm really pleased with the performance I'm getting.

My battery life is complete dick though, and while I'm always plugged in for the most part, it'd be nice if I could go to the office at my part-time job and not have to worry about having to plug it in during my 4 hour shift.

Sniep posted:

ya'll hatin' on razer but i'm not seein that in evidence on their new poo poo. seems good af so far

I've only had piss-poor experiences with Razer, my Blade's motherboard died within months (this was when they first rolled out the 1060 models) and had to get RMA'd, then right out of warranty the battery exploded and they wanted $500 to fix it. Also, when they first started rolling out my model of the Blade Razer hosed up the BIOS and the performance was neutered out of the box until some weeks later when they released a new BIOS to flash that fixed it... after the community ran a bunch of tests to figure it out and beg Razer for it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sharing from one of the IT Work threads:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Good morning all. I have had my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen for some time now and was looking at some TB3 docks that would do some basic KVM stuff while charging over one cable. I found the one below as seemingly the best solution for my laptop:

Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 135W (40AN0135US) Dual UHD 4K Display Capability, 2 HDMI, 2 DP, USB-C, USB 3.1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6S81CM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BAmhDbYKWZMTT

Then I stumbled across what looks like a damned near similar solution (albeit fewer ports, but nothing I need) for only $60 more and includes an eGPU.

Lenovo G0A10170UL Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JFW3YT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QBmhDbVCDQW1A

I don’t game much, but occasionally like to so it seems like this graphics dock would at least get me modest performance. I also like to use Rocksmith and don’t think I can run it on the stock Yoga. Am I overlooking a compelling reason to stick with the basic dock or is the graphics dock just that good of value. I don’t know my graphics cards well but the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

For other alternatives, I know an eGPU enclosure is often recommended and then a BYO video card is bought. I have a feeling that’d end up costing double than just the graphics dock and since I am not a big gamer may not be worth it. Also not sure if the dock and the eGPU are mutually exclusive decisions. If I bought the simple dock and down the road wanted an eGPU would I then have a useless dock (as it has USB, audio, KVM, etc also)?

Looking for a gut check here as I’m pretty new to all the TB and eGPU stuff. I have a decent gaming PC that would love to use as a Steam server if I can get it to work reliably. So that’s always another option.

Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TraderStav posted:

Then I stumbled across what looks like a damned near similar solution (albeit fewer ports, but nothing I need) for only $60 more and includes an eGPU.

That's actually not overpriced for what it is. The obvious downside is that you can't replace the 1050 and once it's obsolete (which is probably not too far off) you just have a really large and power hungry KVM switch, but to solve that problem you'd need to spend twice as much on an enclosure and card. So, you can spend more now and futureproof a bit, or you can accept that this thing is gonna last 3 years or so and who knows, USB 4 is right around the corner anyway.

I'd go for it. Just don't expect to game with it past low settings at 1080 or 720.

edit: and no, your dock wouldn't be useless if you decide to add a GPU later.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sniep posted:

You can't do Optimus and G-sync at the same time, so you can either have VFR or more than a minute of battery life, not both. Razer picked Optimus. You're unlikely to see tearing past 90hz or so anyway, so it won't be a problem for a year or two.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

roomforthetuna posted:

What does razer do for trackpad drivers? Because if they don't use loving synaptics drivers then I might consider getting one of their laptops for that alone.

Almost everyone uses Windows Precision at this point. Synaptics / eLan drivers are thankfully now the domain of poo poo-tier grandma laptops.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You can't do Optimus and G-sync at the same time, so you can either have VFR or more than a minute of battery life, not both. Razer picked Optimus. You're unlikely to see tearing past 90hz or so anyway, so it won't be a problem for a year or two.

A lot of the newer gaming notebooks allow switching between gsync and Optimus, so it's a bit disappointing they don't have it as an option. That way you can use gsync when connected to power which is really only when you would game anyways and have a normal notebook otherwise.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Almost everyone uses Windows Precision at this point. Synaptics / eLan drivers are thankfully now the domain of poo poo-tier grandma laptops.
My MSI gaming laptop from only about a year ago is pretty badly hosed by terrible synaptics drivers. (You can just barely force it to replace them with precision drivers but then the configuration stuff all just doesn't work, and windows update will at some point appears to make it have both drivers at the same time and it starts doing insane poo poo like you do the scroll-wheel two-finger swipe and it starts out scrolling down but then the other driver says no swiping that way means scroll up so it starts doing that instead during the same swipe.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's actually not overpriced for what it is. The obvious downside is that you can't replace the 1050 and once it's obsolete (which is probably not too far off) you just have a really large and power hungry KVM switch, but to solve that problem you'd need to spend twice as much on an enclosure and card. So, you can spend more now and futureproof a bit, or you can accept that this thing is gonna last 3 years or so and who knows, USB 4 is right around the corner anyway.

I'd go for it. Just don't expect to game with it past low settings at 1080 or 720.

edit: and no, your dock wouldn't be useless if you decide to add a GPU later.

Thanks for the info, that really helps. For context, the card on my 'gaming PC' (which goes underutilized as a plex/sab machine) is a GTX 760 so I think that's quite an old card as well.

Found this for $30 cheaper on Newegg even, so even more of a nobrainer!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm considering picking up my first personal laptop sometime this month and was wondering if the new 1650ti models mean we could expect to see prices on models like the Helios 300 fall off a cliff in the immediate future.

Trying to decide whether to try waiting for prices on those older "about $1000" models to come down or just buy the on-sale 1650ti that was linked a page or two ago. The latter would mean some pretty serious belt-tightening for this month, but I leave for an extended work assignment at the start of August and would prefer not to lug my desktop with me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm considering picking up my first personal laptop sometime this month and was wondering if the new 1650ti models mean we could expect to see prices on models like the Helios 300 fall off a cliff in the immediate future.

Trying to decide whether to try waiting for prices on those older "about $1000" models to come down or just buy the on-sale 1650ti that was linked a page or two ago. The latter would mean some pretty serious belt-tightening for this month, but I leave for an extended work assignment at the start of August and would prefer not to lug my desktop with me.

Yes/no. The now-previous generation (anything with a 1060) will likely see some clear-out discounts over the next month or two, particularly over this weekend and around Amazon Prime Day (July 15th and 16th). Most models will then replace them with updated 1650/1660ti models at roughly the same price as current offerings, and in a lot of cases this has already happened.

In that there's already a new 1660Ti Helios for ~$1200, I'd expect that the 1060 Helios at ~$1000 might only get another $100 or so knocked off it at sale, so not exactly "fall off a cliff". You can also keep an eye out on Acer's outlet site, and honestly getting used/refurbs from somewhere with liberal return policies (Amazon) isn't a bad deal, since you can send it on back if it's beat up or dysfunctional. You might be able to get better deals off eBay, but that's always a bit of a risk.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate how volume and brightness control software becomes outdated on older laptops and doesn't get updated for new versions of windows, I finally got my Asus buttons working again by installing a legacy version of the software, but I can't get the ones on my Lenovo G580 to work again. Is there some way to fix this that I'm not aware of?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Heres my situation:

I have a work station im trying to set up for myself that has a desktop computer hooked up to a single monitor. Also hooked into that monitor is that lenovo tb3 gen 2 dock i mentioned earlier for a laptop

I want to share some peripherals between the two, whats the smartest way to do that that involves pushing a button and not unplugging stuff?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Assuming I'm reading this right, synergy should do what you want.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there any standard recommendations for a particular laptop cooling pad? the gaming rig I got runs a little hot, around like 70 to 79C max for some things so I figured maybe it could use one of those fan pads to help it out.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

To be honest maxing out at 79c on a modern gaming laptop CPU is pretty surprisingly good if you're full turbo-ing. Most modern gaming laptops are getting mid-80s to early-90s on 6c/12t i7 parts. I might even say that if you're hitting full turbo clocks and maxing out at 79c, not to bother with a cooling pad. Just put a couple of coke bottle caps at the back corners of your laptop to raise it up if you want a lower number.

With that said, a common recommendation I read about on laptop sites is the Cooler Master Notepal U3 Plus. It's got 3 fans you can position yourself, so you can aim them right at your laptop's intakes.

It's also not an RGB beast with MLG420xXx aesthetics which a lot of them seem to be.

roomforthetuna posted:

My MSI gaming laptop from only about a year ago is pretty badly hosed by terrible synaptics drivers. (You can just barely force it to replace them with precision drivers but then the configuration stuff all just doesn't work, and windows update will at some point appears to make it have both drivers at the same time and it starts doing insane poo poo like you do the scroll-wheel two-finger swipe and it starts out scrolling down but then the other driver says no swiping that way means scroll up so it starts doing that instead during the same swipe.)

My OG Aero 15 uses elan I believe and god it is a horrible trackpad. Luckily I never have to use it in my day to day as I just transport it from desk to desk and that desk always has a mouse.

Windows Update always overrides my Windows Precision hack, and with the standard elan drivers, two-finger scrolling always ends up zooming in/out on the page even if I consciously keep my fingers together, lol.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 4, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just making sure I got this right, to install my new ssd, I just have to make a bootable usb drive using windows install media tool, which will also copy over the authorization key. Then I put in the ssd and reinstall windows from the usb drive? This will make it so i don't have to worry about losing the boot sector of my original hdd right, since it just copies all of that over to the new drive?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Just making sure I got this right, to install my new ssd, I just have to make a bootable usb drive using windows install media tool, which will also copy over the authorization key. Then I put in the ssd and reinstall windows from the usb drive? This will make it so i don't have to worry about losing the boot sector of my original hdd right, since it just copies all of that over to the new drive?

The Windows license is linked to the mobo. If it's an OEM license (i.e. it came with a prebuilt system) then don't worry about it, just install Windows on the new SSD; if you have a retail Windows license then reinstall the OS the same way, but in the future you can deactivate the license on that system to port it to a new one.

Otherwise, yes, create the Windows installation drive and use it to install the OS on the new SSD. That last sentence, though.... :stare:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Atomizer posted:

That last sentence, though.... :stare:

I mean, I don't know how to phrase this but my laptop originally came with a hidden partition with the windows install on it, when I make the installation USB it will simply copy over the license from that partition, or at least the verification code?

Sorry, I've never done this before on a laptop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Windows 10 registers a hash of your computer hardware on their activation server. When you reinstall, hit skip when it asks for a key and it should activate once you get on the internet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Windows 10 registers a hash of your computer hardware on their activation server. When you reinstall, hit skip when it asks for a key and it should activate once you get on the internet.

Oh I see, I didn't think of that somehow, thanks!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
On a modern laptop the Windows key is almost certainly stored on the motherboard itself and the installer will automatically pull it without any intervention on your part.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ItBreathes posted:

Assuming I'm reading this right, synergy should do what you want.

Sorry, I was thinking hardware solution. One of the laptops docking is enterprise issue

E: although I will be taking note of that elsewise, ty

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 4, 2019

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Son is heading off to college in the fall and as a graduation gift I wanted to get him a decent laptop for school. How's https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437195-REG/asus_ux550ge_bh73_i7_8750h_2_2_ghz.html for 1100? He has a desktop for games, but the 1050ti is a nice plus for medium/low games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

isndl posted:

On a modern laptop the Windows key is almost certainly stored on the motherboard itself and the installer will automatically pull it without any intervention on your part.

I see, I have one final question: I'm doing this on two different laptops at the same time, since I bought SSD's for both of them. Right now the installation is running on my older laptop, and I also made the bootable USB on that laptop. Can I just reuse the bootable USB for installing windows on the other laptop's SSD, or should I run the windows media installation program on the other laptop first and start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Frankenfinger posted:

Son is heading off to college in the fall and as a graduation gift I wanted to get him a decent laptop for school. How's https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437195-REG/asus_ux550ge_bh73_i7_8750h_2_2_ghz.html for 1100? He has a desktop for games, but the 1050ti is a nice plus for medium/low games.

A laptop with a discrete GPU is going to be around twice the weight, half the battery life at best, and typically includes all kinds of heating issues... so it's not so much a "nice extra" as it is something to weigh heavily. If he has a gaming desktop already, consider an ultrabook like the XPS 13 or a Thinkpad Carbon. They are great for hauling around all day and deploying on weird small desks or wherever you end up studying.

Shibawanko posted:

Can I just reuse the bootable USB for installing windows on the other laptop's SSD?

Yes

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 4, 2019