Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's one of the annoying things about comics that try to be 'plausible.' It's okay to have comics but if you want to tackle real issues then you need to be willing to change your status quo at least a little or else it looks dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Joe Quesada disagrees! :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they made tony stark totally selfish while he pretends hes doing something for the greater good and reed richards sells everything he makes for a quarter on the dollar and the buyers never produce the stuff he thought up because it would put them out of business

Seems pretty lifelike techbro to me

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

site posted:

they made tony stark totally selfish while he pretends hes doing something for the greater good and reed richards sells everything he makes for a quarter on the dollar and the buyers never produce the stuff he thought up because it would put them out of business

Seems pretty lifelike techbro to me

One of my favorite things in recent comics is the time that Tony Stark got his alignment flipped and it just made him slightly more of a dick. Like Carnage goes from -100 insane badguy to -100 insane goodguy, and Tony goes from 1 to -1.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm gonna need to give a lot of setup if you haven't been following Thor but here goes: *deep breath* The dark elf Malekith (who you may remember as the antagonist of the second Thor movie, but you probably don't because it was the second Thor movie) has captured Thor's parents Odin and Freyja behind a force field designed to only let Thor in. Malekith, in addition to being a powerful magician, has also captured and is wearing the Venom symbiote (and due to a recent retconning, symbiotes are actually weapons designed to kill gods, one of which is the Annihilblade from all the way back on page 1 of this thread) so the odds are very tipped in his favor. It's a death trap.

he also grabbed Thor's hammer a few pages earlier. Before you ask, this isn't Mjolnir, so it doesn't have that whole "worthy" problem in the way of someone else just grabbing it.

source is War of the Realms #6

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2019

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was going to go for the classic symbiote sonic weakness + God of Thunder = Reclaiming of the purposeful self.

But I guess that works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

Malekith, in addition to being a powerful magician, has also captured and is wearing the Venom symbiote (and due to a recent retconning, symbiotes are actually weapons designed to kill gods, one of which is the Annihilblade from all the way back on page 1 of this thread)

This post made me go back to page 1 to see the first Annnihiblade sequence and this replyfrom 5 years ago is fantastic:

Jiro posted:

Gods :drat: do I love the name given to the "not" symbiote weapon. The annihilblade! :black101: Metal as gently caress.

The symbiote reveal/retcon didn't take place until last year :eyepop:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

when the workers explain they need to work to live, she gives them bulging sacks of gold coins

And by that devaluing the metal so that the workers gets shafted.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lurdiak posted:

That's why Miracleman is so great.

"Yeah so we've ended all scarcity and can use teleportation to bring anything anywhere instantly, so now there's no more money. Thanks."

No moralizing or threats, just ending human hunger forever nbd.

You can't quote that and not add in the greatest one-word riposte of its era.

(Miracleman #16. poo poo Has Gone Down with an awesomely destructive superfight, and Miracleman and his fellow survivors have decided to fix Earth. All of it. Not everyone is... ready for that.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh gently caress I love any situation where Margaret Thatcher is getting kicked in the metaphysical nuts.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh gently caress I love any situation where Margaret Thatcher is getting kicked in the metaphysical nuts.

I've never read Miracleman so I don't know if there's context that would tell me that's Margaret Thatcher. I thought that was some foppish dude with idiotic hair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManiacClown posted:

I've never read Miracleman so I don't know if there's context that would tell me that's Margaret Thatcher. I thought that was some foppish dude with idiotic hair.

It was written by a British dude while Margaret Thatcher was PM.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had never seen that panel before and still thought it was obvious that was thatcher

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

a lot of comics are secretly about Margaret Thatcher

there was a whole issue of Planetary about it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

To this day they're putting off a statue for her because they cant figure out how to have it in public and prevent it from being destroyed the moment it's unveiled.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ManiacClown posted:

I've never read Miracleman so I don't know if there's context that would tell me that's Margaret Thatcher.

Goon face blindness rears it's ugly, blurry head once again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doc Hawkins posted:

there was a whole issue of Planetary about it
Secret nothing that's like the through line for most of the early Vertigo stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synthbuttrange posted:

To this day they're putting off a statue for her because they cant figure out how to have it in public and prevent it from being destroyed the moment it's unveiled.

The Irish will be lucky once

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sounds to me like just not putting up a statue anywhere ever is the easiest solution. But what do I know, I'm American

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sounds to me like just not putting up a statue anywhere ever is the easiest solution. But what do I know, I'm American

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I also fully support tearing up the Confederate consolation prizes, but this isn't the thread for that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think it's pretty cool that there's enough hooligan power in the UK to keep a statue away. If shitheads here wanted to put up a Reagan statue, I have no doubt they'd do it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nessus posted:

Secret nothing that's like the through line for most of the early Vertigo stuff.

see, you forgot 2000AD, there's secrets everywhere

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

I think it's pretty cool that there's enough hooligan power in the UK to keep a statue away. If shitheads here wanted to put up a Reagan statue, I have no doubt they'd do it.

Reagan sucked major rear end but there's not nearly as much hatred for the guy as for Thatcher. She was terrible at hiding how contemptuous she was of the people who's lives she was ruining.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah it's probably hard to explain to someone outside of the UK how much people hate Thatcher. It's not even on the level of someone like Trump, or Bush, who at least had that clown/celebrity buffer which almost makes them fun to hate and makes you forget how loving dangerous they are. People HATE Thatcher. I'm trying to think of a comparison in the US for that level of public hate, and I can only come up with murderers and child molesters. It's nuts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah it's probably hard to explain to someone outside of the UK how much people hate Thatcher. It's not even on the level of someone like Trump, or Bush, who at least had that clown/celebrity buffer which almost makes them fun to hate and makes you forget how loving dangerous they are. People HATE Thatcher. I'm trying to think of a comparison in the US for that level of public hate, and I can only come up with murderers and child molesters. It's nuts.

It helps tremendously if you watch a recording of her speaking.

delfin posted:

You can't quote that and not add in the greatest one-word riposte of its era.

(Miracleman #16. poo poo Has Gone Down with an awesomely destructive superfight, and Miracleman and his fellow survivors have decided to fix Earth. All of it. Not everyone is... ready for that.)

That shading is glorious. Who worked on this?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

They weren't really that secretive about it. Alan Moore wrote in the foreword to V for Vendetta that his hatred for Thatcher was a huge reason for why he wrote the comic for example.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Dan Didio posted:

Hey, in my defense, I had a thought that it might be Thatcher, but it seriously looked like a dude. Then again, in retrospect… Thatcher.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I could see a point that if you told me that was Sebastian Shaw or something, I could see it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I think we are getting to the point where younger goons may legitimately not know who Thatcher was and why she was so terrible. Like her death may have been the first they had heard of her.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MH Knights posted:

I think we are getting to the point where younger goons may legitimately not know who Thatcher was and why she was so terrible. Like her death may have been the first they had heard of her.

I’ve got Thatcher hosed the Kids by Frank Turner on the playlist I have on when I’m driving my 7 year old around. She’ll learn, by god.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’ve got Thatcher hosed the Kids by Frank Turner on the playlist I have on when I’m driving my 7 year old around. She’ll learn, by god.

Don't forget Tamp the dirt down.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thaddius the Large posted:

If you're looking for some Thatcher-themed music to sing along with your kid, remember that "Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead" reached #2 in the UK the week Thatcher died (#1 in Scotland).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, in my defense, I had a thought that it might be Thatcher, but it seriously looked like a dude. Then again, in retrospect… Thatcher.

I hate Thatcher too, but come on, this isn't great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Doesn't help that she actually colluded with the latter to keep her government in power.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Don't forget Tamp the dirt down.

And merry Christmas Maggie thatcher

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lois Lane #1 (edit: the end of the issue, so careful about expanding the images if you plan on reading the comic.)

Badass.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 4, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lois Lane #1 (edit: the end of the issue, so careful about expanding the images if you plan on reading the comic.)

Badass.

The concept of someone in the White House press corps confronting corruption instead of just letting a non-response pass is less realistic than the flying guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not to get all 'The Authority' but if your boyfriend is Superman and you know about there's a massive camp full of children seperated from their parents you'd think big blue would do something about it

Cool set of panels though