Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That was the actor's name in Superbad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
and he hasn't had his "oscar winning role for playing an unlikable male prostitute" moment yet so McLovin stays

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mu Zeta posted:

That was the actor's name in Superbad

I did not in any way realise he was that guy wow I feel dumb

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Red Son is considered either a fluke or stolen. Well, the ending was flat out a recycled pitch.

Red Son was awesome, (see av) but yes Millar's other work is pretty poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was a period of about a year after Superbad came out where every goon picture on the forums was met with “Is that McLovin?!”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Voyager I posted:

Kingsman 2 was so bad in that regard that it was almost impressive - not only did they kill off every returning character, but they also brought back the characters that died in the first movie.

My IIMM with Kingsman 2 is how the cool tech guy went out.

He steps on a mine and decides to sacrifice himself to distract the 4 armed guards so the others could get in.

Or, they could have killed the guards while he was distracting them and then disactivated the mine. They're loving Kingsmen, they take down more armed guards than that before breakfast.

I was all set up like this beautiful sacrifice, right down to him singing Country Road, but it was just stupid.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Jul 3, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AFewBricksShy posted:

Red Son was awesome, (see av) but yes Millar's other work is pretty poo poo.

I really like The Ultimates and it's probably why Sam Jackson was cast as Nick Fury.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mu Zeta posted:

I really like The Ultimates and it's probably why Sam Jackson was cast as Nick Fury.

It's 100% why, and also why Robert Downey was cast as Tony Stark. Sadly the MCU started a few years too late to get Steve Buscemi as Bruce Banner.

If you want you can give Bryan Hitch the credit, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the impression that Millar can actually be pretty good when he actually has supervision and is forced not to be edgy. I think the problem is when he dials up the edgy because it gets attention.

I read The Unfunnies, mostly out of morbid curiosity and then because it became difficult to stop.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I kind of feel like people like the admittedly very cool concept of Red Son more than the actual book. Because it kind of goes off the rails eventually when it becomes “every single DC character was born in Soviet Russia” instead of just Superman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blast Fantasto posted:

I kind of feel like people like the admittedly very cool concept of Red Son more than the actual book. Because it kind of goes off the rails eventually when it becomes “every single DC character was born in Soviet Russia” instead of just Superman.

I mean kind of the core concept is swapping the USSR and USA, they even have a joke with the secession of Georgia.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Weren't most of them from the US?
Russia had Superman (who technically wasn't born there), Batman, and Lana Lang, but most of the traditional villains and other characters were US created or from the US.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

Sam Jackson Fury predates The Ultimates and was created by Bendis

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

was he called Blyatman

did he drive a ladamobile with a dashcam

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

jojoinnit posted:

Ugh. I was okay with Wanted until they tried to pull that Millar in the final scene. "What the gently caress did you do today???"

Even as a dumb teenager it was bullshit and not cool because he didn't do anything either. He was found, trained, then pointed in the right direction for the plot.

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/10/wanted_with_angelina_jolie_is.html

quote:

Nothing in a movie speaks to a viewer more than actually speaking to a viewer, and that's what this movie does. As it ends, Wesley looks up from his rifle scope, turns to the camera and asks, "This is me taking back control of my life. What the gently caress have you done lately?" Well? "Not killing people" is, of course, a loser's answer, so don't pick it. Correct answers include, "waiting for my powers to kick in" and "not learning jujitsu because I'll be handed those skills all at once when they are necessary" and "waiting for Angelina to swing buy with a pizza" and "masturbating."

Whole review is great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've posted about it before in this thread but I kind of liked the original Kick-rear end graphic novel because under the grimy layer of Millarisms the core conceit is that superhero fantasies are not only stupid but dangerously stupid. The guy doesn't get the girl that he's been stalking all year (and pretending to be gay in front of, so she'll change clothes in front of him), Hit Girl's dad has been explicitly lying to her for ages and the whole mob vigilante thing is a hosed-up coping mechanism, and there's no goddamn jetpack bazooka climax.

The movie takes the same characters and ideas and goes "well actually pretending to be a superhero is super cool and awesome and everything ended up great for that idiot kid dressed in a thirdhand wetsuit", not just missing the point but doing a full 180 and sprinting away from the point at mach 3.

e: whoops yeah total brain fart VVVVV

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jul 3, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

I've posted about it before in this thread but I kind of liked the original Wanted graphic novel because under the grimy layer of Millarisms the core conceit is that superhero fantasies are not only stupid but dangerously stupid. The guy doesn't get the girl that he's been stalking all year (and pretending to be gay in front of, so she'll change clothes in front of him), Hit Girl's dad has been explicitly lying to her for ages and the whole mob vigilante thing is a hosed-up coping mechanism, and there's no goddamn jetpack bazooka climax.

The movie takes the same characters and ideas and goes "well actually pretending to be a superhero is super cool and awesome and everything ended up great for that idiot kid dressed in a thirdhand wetsuit", not just missing the point but doing a full 180 and sprinting away from the point at mach 3.

Think you mean the original Kick-rear end graphic novel, but yeah. Everybody is hosed up at the end of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was a period of about a year after Superbad came out where every goon picture on the forums was met with “Is that McLovin?!”

After calling him that several times ITT I had the thought "you know, maybe I should check if that's really him" because I've made the mistake in the past with pictures. When you hear him though there's no way you'd mistake him for anyone else even if you're terrible at facial recognition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Posts in another thread reminded me of how much I was annoyed with the ending of Logan Lucky. For like 90% of the movie it is an entertaining heist flick where they pull it off but don't get any money but then all of a sudden at the end they reveal that the whole thing was actually a huge elaborate con for some reason. It just seemed very unnecessary.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Movies that don't let me take the premise seriously.

Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector: on paper, I can buy it. But within a few minutes it's just fart stuff. Come on Larry, you're better than this. Delta Farce was bad but at least it wasn't this cheap.

Yeah I still laughed at it, but I resent the fact that I did.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

jojoinnit posted:

Since it came up, here's my irrational thing with Kingsmen.
[...]
There's one other woman in the movie and she's just there for an anal sex joke.
I thought the movie was enjoyable until this.
Every boy's fantasy: sex as a reward!

But why do so many guys have hosed up views on sex??? :confused:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Most depictions of academia. Two specifics: Kristen Wiig in Ghostbusters was never going to get tenure without a book anyway. Everything about Dustin Hoffman's character in Stranger than Fiction. His office is insane. The line "Little did he know! Little did he know! Books have been written about little did he know!" is it's own kind of absurd. It is a movie that doesn't know what lit crit actually looks like. Even though I must admit there literally was a book written about the use of "meanwhile" in novels. But still.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

Most depictions of academia. Two specifics: Kristen Wiig in Ghostbusters was never going to get tenure without a book anyway. Everything about Dustin Hoffman's character in Stranger than Fiction. His office is insane. The line "Little did he know! Little did he know! Books have been written about little did he know!" is it's own kind of absurd. It is a movie that doesn't know what lit crit actually looks like. Even though I must admit there literally was a book written about the use of "meanwhile" in novels. But still.

They always skip so much of what it takes to get to be the respected tenured professor winning nobel prizes and stuff like russell crowe after he got his medication. I can't relate to the book thing, but on the physical sciences side there definitely isn't enough of the grad school/post doc soul crushing phase portrayed in the movies where having to comfort a officemate having an emotional meltdown is a fairly regular occurrence. I almost wish they would portray it honestly, if only because it would make getting those tenure track jobs much less competitive.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I watched The Wandering Earth the other day (with subtitles). It was surprisingly entertaining and it'd be dumb to complain about the science. But an early part has two kids and their uncle getting arrested, letting them cross paths with the actual plot. What was the kids' original plan before they got caught? They snuck outside and stole a vehicle, but the only places to live are underground cities just like the one they escaped, and they weren't under threat there.

I was also irrationally irritated by the comic relief being a half-Chinese half-Australian who resembled Tropic Thunder's Simple Jack, but frankly we had it coming.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

PancakeTransmission posted:

I did laugh when I realized her room unlock code was anal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PancakeTransmission posted:

You mean the young woman trapped underground in a cell for an unknown length of time who has been told she must either accept an explosive device in her brain and spend the rest of her life as a slave or be murdered and then "our hero" comes along and she's so desperate for her freedom she promises to do anything for him and he replies that he'll rescue her if he can gently caress her up the arse and, once he kills the bad guys, returns immediately to her prison cell and does it there and then, not even letting her out the door first?

Yeah, no problems there with consent.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Come on Larry, you're better than this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You mean the young woman trapped underground in a cell for an unknown length of time who has been told she must either accept an explosive device in her brain and spend the rest of her life as a slave or be murdered and then "our hero" comes along and she's so desperate for her freedom she promises to do anything for him and he replies that he'll rescue her if he can gently caress her up the arse and, once he kills the bad guys, returns immediately to her prison cell and does it there and then, not even letting her out the door first?

Yeah, no problems there with consent.

I would definitely have a problem if that was something that happened anywhere outside your imagination. Eggsy asks for a kiss if he lets the princess out. It's her who offers him buttsex if he saves the world.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah and while on the clock people are butchering each other and he's sitting there pondering the details

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does the sequel get into how the world functions now that all the world leaders and probably a huge chunk of the population is dead?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Does the sequel get into how the world functions now that all the world leaders and probably a huge chunk of the population is dead?

It's a Bond spoof. When have they ever given a poo poo about continuity?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That there isn't any Justice for Bob plotline because he was better than slut shamed Barb

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When is the cliche movie character of teenager dying of cancer (or suffering from some other debilitating disease) but has a carefree attitude and likes to do exciting spontaneous things with their friend from a support group going to die? Certainly not when they do, which is quickly. It's just such a cheap way to make a movie have an emotional impact. You don't have to even try, just have the teenager with cancer die. It even made me feel sad that maisie williams died, when for several seasons of GoT I was hoping she'd bite it.

It's the human equivalent of making a movie about a dog dying. Strive for something better, it's been done.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

also: people who are running from a thing and make it to a door and lock it behind them and then just turn around and stare at the door. Incorrect, you keep running. You're in a horror movie, it's going to make it through. Never turn around and look, run until you can't anymore and only then check to see if it's still following you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

also: people who are running from a thing and make it to a door and lock it behind them and then just turn around and stare at the door. Incorrect, you keep running. You're in a horror movie, it's going to make it through. Never turn around and look, run until you can't anymore and only then check to see if it's still following you.

You just reminded me of the great moment in the Doctor Who Episode, Heaven Sent :"Ran out of corridor... now there's a life summed up..."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Alan Smithee posted:

and he hasn't had his "oscar winning role for playing an unlikable male prostitute" moment yet so McLovin stays
btw did they ever pay for the rights to your story or did they change enough of the details to get away with it?

Come on Larry, you're better than this.
:chloe:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

btw did they ever pay for the rights to your story or did they change enough of the details to get away with it?

:chloe:

wat

Len posted:

That there isn't any Justice for Bob plotline because he was better than slut shamed Barb

:ssh: people thought Barb wasn't slutting it up enough

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When is the cliche movie character of teenager dying of cancer (or suffering from some other debilitating disease) but has a carefree attitude and likes to do exciting spontaneous things with their friend from a support group going to die? Certainly not when they do, which is quickly. It's just such a cheap way to make a movie have an emotional impact. You don't have to even try, just have the teenager with cancer die. It even made me feel sad that maisie williams died, when for several seasons of GoT I was hoping she'd bite it.

It's the human equivalent of making a movie about a dog dying. Strive for something better, it's been done.

It's cheap pathos and ends in a nice clean corpse you can bury and forget about. Misery tourism.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

uvar posted:

I watched The Wandering Earth the other day (with subtitles). It was surprisingly entertaining and it'd be dumb to complain about the science. But an early part has two kids and their uncle getting arrested, letting them cross paths with the actual plot. What was the kids' original plan before they got caught? They snuck outside and stole a vehicle, but the only places to live are underground cities just like the one they escaped, and they weren't under threat there.

I was also irrationally irritated by the comic relief being a half-Chinese half-Australian who resembled Tropic Thunder's Simple Jack, but frankly we had it coming.

The movie had a bunch of poo poo cut out, originally there was a plot line of rebels or whatever living outside of the underground cities. Cutting it out left a lot of holes like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

And it's never an "unattractive" disease. Majority of them just use an oxygen nasal cannula as a visual signifier, and not say, an open chemo port on their chest.