Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

squirrelzipper posted:

I mean you answered the question right here. It’s apples and oranges. Do you not recall this conversation started because someone asked “my mum says democrats can’t even solve homelessness in California, what do? Ps. She’s in North Carolina.”

And a few of us went “Uh, it’s not that simple...”

A more convincing answer would be an explanation that, while OP's mom is correct in identifying that Democrats are largely a backwards rear end waste who hate the loving poor with a passion, it doesn't excuse backing the other guy who is explicitly for doing all the things that make California suck rear end but doing it way harder. And also that better things are possible. Trying to tell people that actually it's because the weather is nice doesn't even stand up to the most surface level scrutiny and will probably just result in their mom trying to change the subject to something else before going back to facebook and posting about how everyone under the age of 70 is a "libtard"

Potentially you could even try explaining a few of the things that California actually does do correctly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Marxalot posted:

A better answer would be an explanation that while the Democrats are largely a backwards rear end waste who hate the loving poor with a passion, that doesn't excuse backing the other guy who is explicitly for doing all the things that make California suck rear end but doing it way harder. And also that better things are possible. Trying to tell people that actually it's because the weather is nice doesn't even stand up to the most surface level scrutiny.

Potentially you could even try explaining a few of the things that California actually does do correctly!

Ok but why? Like I’m not your teacher, there was question asked, I proffered my answer. If you think the Carolinas and the south and California are all equally bad good for loving you.

E; to be fair and clear, I think his dear old mam is a raging racist and doesn’t care about the homeless at all and is likely worried about the dems letting urban youth into her state. But I’ve been drinking and so I’ll concede my judgement is impaired.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 3, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1142870703777017856

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

squirrelzipper posted:

I mean you answered the question right here. It’s apples and oranges. Do you not recall this conversation started because someone asked “my mum says democrats can’t even solve homelessness in California, what do? Ps. She’s in North Carolina.”

And a few of us went “Uh, it’s not that simple...”

Well sure, it's not that simple. Dismissing the entire state of North Carolina as worthless and forgettable and thus not relevant to California's problems is also, as it turns out, an exceptionally lovely argument!

like the obvious counterargument to the original point is that Charlotte has had Democratic mayors for the past ten years and has actively worked to reduce its homeless population and improve the quality of life for all citizens while enjoying significant economic and population growth. So therefore, even if California is facing challenges, local Democrats (that this person's mother could vote for) clearly have their poo poo together in that regard and are worth supporting and voting for.

not that hard guys

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok but why? Like I’m not your teacher, there was question asked, I proffered my answer. If you think the Carolinas and the south and California are all equally bad good for loving you.

Because New York has vastly more homeless people per capita. It's also quite cold there.

e: missed the edit

squirrelzipper posted:

E; to be fair and clear, I think his dear old mam is a raging racist and doesn’t care about the homeless at all and is likely worried about the dems letting urban youth into her state. But I’ve been drinking and so I’ll concede my judgement is impaired.

You're probably right :v:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Because New York has vastly more homeless people per capita. It's also quite cold there.

I edited my post, I don’t live there so will bow out with my drinks - don’t forget to tip your waitress!

E; I don’t hate the Carolinas. I’ve never been there, they might be awesome. They also don’t have an international city on the scale of LA or SFO. Which is probably a good thing.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 3, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Marxalot posted:

A more convincing answer would be an explanation that, while OP's mom is correct in identifying that Democrats are largely a backwards rear end waste who hate the loving poor with a passion, it doesn't excuse backing the other guy who is explicitly for doing all the things that make California suck rear end but doing it way harder. And also that better things are possible. Trying to tell people that actually it's because the weather is nice doesn't even stand up to the most surface level scrutiny and will probably just result in their mom trying to change the subject to something else before going back to facebook and posting about how everyone under the age of 70 is a "libtard"

You are never going to change their(her) minds. They are looking for something to confirm their pre-existing beliefs and anything that doesn't support those will be ignored. Anything that might support them will be amplified.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

pkay posted:

You are never going to change their(her) minds. They are looking for something to confirm their pre-existing beliefs and anything that doesn't support those will be ignored. Anything that might support them will be amplified.

Dude I’m like right here and just said they were probably right and I’m drunk and angry. So. Yeah. But good with the ‘they’ thing I guess.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Imagine thinking a dog wasn't motivated by food

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
San Francisco has a not-famous municipal government dealing with significant and difficult issues which have hard and complicated solutions. They are not good at solving them, and San Francisco is hardly a progressive figurehead when it comes to social services and income equality, however they also do recognize those issues and pretend like they are trying. The President of the United loving States can barely deal with idiotic TV-ready decorum things and then actively makes everything worse constantly. He has no idea how to solve anything, has no intention of ever making anything better, and tries to destroy everything he sees regardless of what it does as long as he thinks he can scam conservatives about it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Marxalot posted:

Also your "people choose to be homeless here because the weather is nice" idea gets kind of blasted apart by NY's even worse homelessness problem.
This is not how logic works

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Let me explain prop 13 for y'all and why it's BS

Prop 13 caps the amount a property's property tax can rise by per year to a pretty low rate. This gets reassessed fully when the property changes hands. So great, grandma on a fixed income can't get pushed out of her home by big property tax increases, and when the house gets sold it returns to normal property tax for the next owner!

Except this also applies to commercial properties. And for residential, inheriting the house doesn't trigger the reassessment. So for commercial real estate the property is put into a holding company that gets passed around so the real estate never changes hands for tax purposes, and for residential the incentive to sell is super low because you're paying taxes barely increased from 20 years ago on the house you inherited after grandma died. Also now you're renting it out to people for loads of money, because there's shittons of demand for housing and not a lot of supply. And lots of the real estate is snapped up by investors who just sit on it while the prices rise, cuz hey they're not paying increased property taxes for the increased value, might as well hold out!

So Prop 13 inflates prices of real estate for sale while limiting property tax income from people holding onto their existing real estate assets. This fucks with lots of stuff that's funded by property taxes (like schools) because they're often way below what they should nominally be, and accelerates homelessness by pricing out renters as property values rise and rents rise correspondingly.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tarezax posted:

Prop 13 caps the amount a property's property tax can rise by per year to a pretty low rate. This gets reassessed fully when the property changes hands. So great, grandma on a fixed income can't get pushed out of her home by big property tax increases, and when the house gets sold it returns to normal property tax for the next owner!

Except this also applies to commercial properties. And for residential, inheriting the house doesn't trigger the reassessment. So for commercial real estate the property is put into a holding company that gets passed around so the real estate never changes hands for tax purposes, and for residential the incentive to sell is super low because you're paying taxes barely increased from 20 years ago on the house you inherited after grandma died. Also now you're renting it out to people for loads of money, because there's shittons of demand for housing and not a lot of supply. And lots of the real estate is snapped up by investors who just sit on it while the prices rise, cuz hey they're not paying increased property taxes for the increased value, might as well hold out!

So Prop 13 inflates prices of real estate for sale while limiting property tax income from people holding onto their existing real estate assets. This fucks with lots of stuff that's funded by property taxes (like schools) because they're often way below what they should nominally be, and accelerates homelessness by pricing out renters as property values rise and rents rise correspondingly.

wow literally feudalism how neat is that

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I already knew Kelly was poo poo, but I missed this tidbit about him being on the board of a company that runs child concentration camps.

https://twitter.com/SomeMoreNews/status/1146074864366829569

Hey John Kelly, please die. I don't mean, like, get murdered or anything but it'd sure be swell if you just stopped existing; sooner rather than later.

Tarezax posted:

Watching the growing horror on people's faces as I explain Prop 13 to them is always a treat. Even a lot of people living in Cali don't understand how horrid it is.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Ok I know I said I’d bow out, but yeah this is some loving awful bullshit and only exists pull to pull up the ladder and I wholeheartedly do not mean to support this kind of poo poo at all. I knew about the property tax scheme too, so mea culpa. Homelessness is a challenge every nation and major city faces, my knee jerk reaction was that it’s caused by ‘those progressives’, because it isn’t.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 3, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I hate prop 13 and a lot of neolib cali Democrats, but having lived/worked in Florida and Oklahoma, I really can't complain.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Btw Prop 13 was passed back in 1978 back when this was still a purple state. CA didn't vote reliably Dem until the 90s after Republican governor Pete Wilson threw his support behind this nativist ballot proposition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_California_Proposition_187

This absolutely torpedoed support for Republicans among Latinos in the state, and the state Republican party has been declining ever since.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 3, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Btw Prop 13 was passed back in 1978 back when this was still a purple state. CA didn't vote reliably Dem until the 90s after Republican governor Pete Wilson threw his support behind this nativist ballot proposition:

This absolutely torpedoed support for Republicans among Latinos in the state, and the state Republican party has been declining ever since.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a lesson in there somewhere for the GOP at large.

Now I'm remembering back in the early aughts when the neocons gently flirted with the idea of admitting Latinx folks to the party status-quo and their base loudly replied, "No. Do like all your dog whistles promised and racism harder!"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Skippy McPants posted:

Hmm. I wonder if there's a lesson in there somewhere for the GOP at large.

Now I'm remembering back in the early aughts when the neocons gently flirted with the idea of admitting Latinx folks to the party status-quo and their base loudly replied, "No. Do like all your dog whistles promised and racism harder!"

Wasn't even that long ago. It was the conclusion of the GOP autopsy in the aftermath of the 2012 bloodbath that they should look to diversify their base by moderating certain positions to appeal to a subset of black/latinx people.

Instead here we are with concentration camps.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Someone help me, how do I argue against this person

https://twitter.com/BigKrogh/status/1146347965054967808

just kidding, I am totally aware that you cannot argue against big mike

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Helith posted:

I see your big boy president got his parade!
Is he going to go for the Soviet or Chinese style chic do you think? Or maybe his new bestie in NK gave him some ideas for it.
It's going to be so special :allears:

Donnie got the idea from the Bastille day parade he went to in France. I know its fun to clown on him, but the French are almost as wired as the Soviets were wrt military parades.

https://youtu.be/qG2g1BvJaWg

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone know the context behind this poo poo? I imagine she just came out of a building or something behind her out of frame?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tarezax posted:

There’s actually a Cato institute article (hah) on how badly he hosed up

https://www.cato.org/blog/proposition-187-turned-california-blue

He shifted voting trends for Hispanic voters 30 points

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nosre posted:

Anyone know the context behind this poo poo? I imagine she just came out of a building or something behind her out of frame?

Here ya go.

The short version is that it's a short road leading to a detention center and because she's not a ghoul that caused her some understandable distress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1001838561182744577
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/923662217630896130
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/6389239336
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/52594063161040898

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol Trump was going to push the big red button

Diet coke???

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Here ya go.

The short version is that it's a short road leading to a detention center and because she's not a ghoul that caused her some understandable distress.

Not even from the latest events, classic.

Thanks!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1146173592851402752

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for the supreme court to decide it's up to the states to decide on who's allowed to vote.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so like, eventually there has to be a prison break-like event at one of these concentration camps, right? there may have been already?

in any case, if it does happen, i hope that's taped and released as far and as wide as possible because that seems to be the only way the existence of these camps will fundamentally strike a chord. even that's uncertain, but it would have to be more effective than what we have now. the whole concept of a concentration camp perpetrated by us is too nebulous and foreign of a concept at the moment to resonate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's this sort of extravagant lying that really sells Marianne as a Brass Eye character

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

so like, eventually there has to be a prison break-like event at one of these concentration camps, right? there may have been already?

in any case, if it does happen, i hope that's taped and released as far and as wide as possible because that seems to be the only way the existence of these camps will fundamentally strike a chord. even that's uncertain, but it would have to be more effective than what we have now. the whole concept of a concentration camp perpetrated by us is too nebulous and foreign of a concept at the moment to resonate.

It wont though, it will be spun as "dangerous illegals break out, assault our patriotic ICE soldiers and are making their way right to YOUR TOWN!!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

cr0y posted:

It wont though, it will be spun as "dangerous illegals break out, assault our patriotic ICE soldiers and are making their way right to YOUR TOWN!!"

Yeah it'll be spun as "look at all these escaped illegal prisoners!"

haveblue posted:

No, I heard they’ll have 1001 porta potties

The Thousand-potty Reich

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/eloc8/status/1146238374203863040

edit:
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1146374296773832704?s=20

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 3, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

quote:

Like her father, a salty-tongued former Navy pilot who was shot down over Hanoi during the Vietnam War and spent five years as a prisoner under torture, McCain is unusually self-aware, knows she comes on too strong for many people and occasionally offends them (although she is quick to apologize in private for missteps).

Yet even when she knows it would help her, she seldom practices tact and diplomacy. She “has a mouth like a trucker,” said a person familiar with McCain’s M.O. She “swears a lot.” She’s “got to stop, because it keeps impacting her life.”

Her father “raised her like a guy,” this person said, adding that she “feels different in every way a person can feel different [at The View]—everything from politically to just socially to where she’s from.”

In contrast to many of her colleagues, who spend weekends in the Hamptons, McCain likes to spend her time off at home in Arizona, “hanging out in the creek and doing Jell-O shots and shooting guns,” this person said.

It is so, so, so, so telling that someone touted as being "unusually self-aware" thinks that the main source of friction in her life is down to an unvarnished affect and different social hobbies than her peers as opposed to, say, the undiluted poison that spews forth when addressing policy.

Honestly, I hope she sticks around. I don't watch The View, but I've caught enough of the furor floating about to grasp that most folks outside right-wing circles think she is a petulant, overgrown child, which is precisely the kind of representation American Conservatism deserves.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 3, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Throw her in one of the concentration camps she supports. Then she'll know what it's actually like to be caged.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's one thing to have her horrific views. It's another to have them and be the literal scion of corporate and navy royalty. She has never worked a day in her goddamn life and she's so hated on that show they stick her on the end of the table seated sideways. Even republicans hate her now. She has no audience.

If she had two brain cells to rub together she could have swung moderate and carried on her father's bullshit legacy because the press is desperate to do it. Instead she's opted for pure indulgence and bitterness towards the people that don't take her seriously, which is everyone.

Let's remember a happier time.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I have a mouth like a drunk sailor but I can still get through social situations without saying gently caress. If you swear so much it impacts your relationships you are a literal child with no self control.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

love how our war criminals pretty much never have to pay the price. very cool allowing another person to lie about murdering the detainee so gallagher could get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Someone help me, how do I argue against this person

https://twitter.com/BigKrogh/status/1146347965054967808

just kidding, I am totally aware that you cannot argue against big mike

"i googled prison toilets but all i saw was pictures of your family :confused: "