Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Duarte honestly should be played by a relatively unknown, but excellent middle aged actor. The guy is supposed to be completely unremarkable until all of sudden he secretly upends all of human civilization. Even then, it's through proxies and you don't realize he was behind it all until he takes the fleet through the Ring.

Also, I'm 90% convinced that the authors were picturing a young Edward James Olmos every time they describe him in the novels. Obviously he is too old, which is a drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i can't help but picture Duarte as Jeff Bezos

and now, starring as Immortal Space Hitler:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Now that Expanse fan Jeff Bezos owns the show I assume he's going to be playing Beff Jezos, the new captain of the ship. And Amos gives him his gun because Beff is way better at using it than him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I actually thought there was a good chance Matthew Bennet was playing Duarte last season.

He's listed as a Lt. Durant in the credits but never named in show, and he's the good match for age and looks. He's also a bigger actor than the cameo he has.

He's the one whose hot headed about facing the UNN whilst on the Hamarabbe.

He's too low a rank I guess, unless they mix it up a bit.

I'd guess Duarte appears this season tho in a show only Bobby story.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Duarte was a commander in Nemesis Games, I could see him having been a Lt. during the events of the first three books, and having risen up the ranks fast in the depopulated officer corps of the post-war MCRN. I bet we're going to get some of the plot of the Vital Abyss sometime this season and that could also be where they introduce him.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Me too. And Michael Mando as Marco.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It would be a neat trick to pass Duerte off as a Martian extra until the reveal.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah he's, what, a lieutenant during the Io campaign?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It would be a neat trick to pass Duerte off as a Martian extra until the reveal.

I'll actually be disappointed if they haven't done this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Here's an interesting article about how the GoT series lost its touch as the show progressed, as it stopped trying to tell a sociological story about power, to a more prosaic hollywood story about personal psychology. Thinking back to The Expanse, I can't confidently say that Ty and Dan are able to transcend the ability to tell a sociological story. I mean, interesting new societies exist, particularly in the background, but they never seem to evolve naturally, but are instead completely dependent on intervention by the PoV characters. And in these last 2 books, the universe feels particularly small, even though "The Expanse" literally happened: by rights there should be far more moving parts and power players than just Sol, the Transport Union, and Laconia.

As for the quality of the writing, I agree that it is quite prosaic. There were a handful of cool scenes in the most recent book, like the account of Naomi drawing the Laconian Navy into a trap, or that character disintegrating another, but again they are workhorse and come down to 1+2=3.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That article is extremely good imo.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I enjoyed the parts when the event happens and it was written so gradually that you kind of slide into it. Naomi just talking and all the sudden she's swimming in sound was great, because you knew it was going to happen but it was less a jump scare and more an invisible build up.

LegoMan fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 3, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TBH I think it would be kind of strange if the colony worlds were major players. It took almost 200 years for the United States to emerge as a major power, and they were one step short of Laconia in terms of having everything going for them. It's only been 30 years, of course the major players will still be centered in Sol.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Part of the reason the U.S. was such an upstart world power was that the traditional world powers blew each other up and it was one of the few remaining industrial bases. Laconia had the industrial base.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
After reading Tiamat's Wrath, I plowed through the show's season 2 and 3. It's absolutely great to see how they adapted the story just so, shifting character stories around just enough and outright merging characters to stick to the original story while making better suited for a TV series. I was really worried about Drummer for a moment, it looked as though they were going to kill her off in a last stand like Bull did.

On the other hand, I thought Ashford's representation in the show was much better than in the books. Until the end, he looked like a honest dude just trying to do the right thing, much like Holden. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought in the book he read more like an insecure bumbling guy who felt his authority was being undermined by Bull.

I'm definitely curious to see how Amazon will take it from here. There's definitely been a few cases where SyFy seemed like it was cutting corners to save on VFX budget, and the next books ramp up into serious protomolecule business. How are they going to portray the lapses in consciousness? Kind of annoyed that we'll have to go through the Marco Inaros and Free Navy story to get to Laconia's. Inaros and Duarte basically have the same storyline of somehow trouncing all of humanity before getting disabled by a dumb mistake, but I much prefer the Laconia storyline to the Free Navy's.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ashford in the books was a dumb rear end in a top hat. And honestly, the extent to which he's been rehabilitated by the show actually gives me hope for the Free Navy stuff. If we have sympathetic Dawes and sympathetic Ashford supporting Inaros... I mean, maybe Inaros will be less of a frustrating idiot.

On the one hand, that was kind of the point- he did a huge terrorist attack and got people behind him, but doing a huge terrorist attack didn't make him into the legend people thought he was. He was still just a person, and absurdly out of his depth. That's kind of interesting. But on the other hand maybe it would be a more fun story to watch if he wasn't such an frustrating idiot.

Speaking of assholes with theoretically interesting motivations, I'm interested to see how they handle Murtry. If they rehabilitate him half as well as they did for Ashford I'll be looking forward to the Free Navy war to see how they do it up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

On the one hand, that was kind of the point- he did a huge terrorist attack and got people behind him, but doing a huge terrorist attack didn't make him into the legend people thought he was. He was still just a person, and absurdly out of his depth. That's kind of interesting. But on the other hand maybe it would be a more fun story to watch if he wasn't such an frustrating idiot.

The problem I always had with Marco was that it didn't seem believable people would keep following him once he reveals what a moron he really is. I can buy that people would follow a crazy dude with a crazy plan against people they've been carrying a grudge for all their lives. People following that guy who can't let go of his ex, not so much.

It's a safe bet the show will make him a more interesting character and it'll be interesting to see how they do it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

bloom posted:

The problem I always had with Marco was that it didn't seem believable people would keep following him once he reveals what a moron he really is.

We have an unfortunately vivid case study in place right now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
See, that could be read as an extremist sociological force within Belter society, with an interest in seeking military power, hence they would side with whomever has executive control over warships. Until someone just up and takes those warships for their own. In the same way current real life people have a vested interest in low non-progressive taxation, no economic regulation, and brutal racist hierarchies, causing them to side with a real life moron.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I never understood why Dawes goes to jail but Pa did not. Without Dawes flexing his political muscles the civil war would have never happened and Duarte/Free Navy probably would have won.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It would be sweet if they got Jared Harris back and had Dawes be the force driving the Belter side of the Free Navy gambit. Marco and Naomi's kid could still be there as part of the organization. I could buy Marco as a high ranking Mook better than space Hitler 3020.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It would be sweet if they got Jared Harris back and had Dawes be the force driving the Belter side of the Free Navy gambit. Marco and Naomi's kid could still be there as part of the organization. I could buy Marco as a high ranking Mook better than space Hitler 3020.

Well Dawes has Cortizar to trade, so I can only guess that they are going to include him more in the Free Navy etc.

I think Marco could work on screen.

It's interesting that the books haven't done anything with Naomi's kid being alive out there yet. I kind of hope they never do.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

It's interesting that the books haven't done anything with Naomi's kid being alive out there yet. I kind of hope they never do.

It felt like such an odd character to introduce and disillusion for little to no payoff. Seems like we spent a lot of time with him and his contribution was... bait?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

It gave a POV in the crew and affected Naomi's actions.

If anything, my criticism of the series is how main characters have too much of a point, to where sometimes it feels like an episode of the A-Team.

That said, I can't see with one book left how her son reappears. Other than maybe a novella about his Space Nuremberg Trial, because there's no sensible situation in which he breaks anonymity and isn't tried and executed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

drewhead posted:

It felt like such an odd character to introduce and disillusion for little to no payoff. Seems like we spent a lot of time with him and his contribution was... bait?

Yeah. I'm wondering if at one point the plan was to feature a new generation in the last three books with him as the main character or something.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I wonder if putting Avesarala's corpse in close proximity to Lazerus Pups means we're going to get a very foul-mouthed spokesgoth. They managed to put Amos back together and his brain was bulletmush.

Oh God, Miller and Aversarala hashing it out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 12, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

She'll be back but not as a zombie. She'll be a robot crab.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

She'll be back but not as a zombie. She'll be a robot crab.

a very foul mouthed robot crab.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

She'll still complain about what low-g does to her joints despite not having any sensation in them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I wonder if putting Avesarala's corpse in close proximity to Lazerus Pups means we're going to get a very foul-mouthed spokesgoth. They managed to put Amos back together and his brain was bulletmush.

Oh God, Miller and Aversarala hashing it out.

I hope not. She shouldn't of been alive for Persepolis Rising either. It was kind of unbelievable and a little sad to have her wheeling around dropping pearls of wisdom to a character she's not previously interacted with.

I hope the series writes her out between the time jump.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Average life expectancy on Earth is like 120, if we are to believe the coroner on Ceres. I know she's old but probably not that old.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Does anyone have any theories on the goths?

My personal theory is that it/they are actually the collected consciousness of the Protomolecule.

We've already seen that it can be intelligent and inquisitive and has the ability to problem solve.

What if over the original thousands of years when the protomolecule was being used for everything it was also absorbing rudimentary intelligence and instincts and evolving some form of sentience unbeknownst to the Roman's?

Eventually it was almost an old testament God, with all the abilities we've seen the PM exhibit and none of the emotive grounded that consuming sentient life gave our PM node.

The Roman's realised they had unwittingly created a super intelligent and dangerous consciousness and decided to cut out the infection by destroying their empire and closing off the gate network, terrified of the very technology it was made of uprising.

Millions of years later our PM node undergoes a rapid equivalent of the same thing because it absorbs living sentient creatures, but is also grounded in the emotional and moral realities of Julie Mao and Miller.

Now the Goths exist in the spaces where the PM used to, where it evolved, and all of a sudden a new race is starting to use it and experiment with it and piss it off.

So you've got two distinct but linked conscious versions of the PM. A Roman made one that is unemotive and Old Testament and a human made one that is moral and New Testament.

And in the end this human made PM, fused from a million different voices and colours and creeds, and with an Earther and a Belter at the heart of it will be the solution to the war with the Goths.

And humanity will learn a lesson about living together, and about workers rights, and about the tech we create not being a solution to our problems. Etc.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I dunno, I feel like the Goths were always there, they're the locals from the adjacent brane/upper dimension/whatever other technbabble they come up with to call the space the gates shortcut around normal 3D space through. The Builders started poking holes in reality to build their hyperspace bypasses but that annoys/hurts the thing(s) that live in hyperspace so the Goths started fighting back and when the Builders just wouldn't stop the Goths ended up having to genocide them all by turning off the hive mind. And now humanity's gone and pissed them off, too.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

PriorMarcus posted:

And humanity will learn a lesson

I think your idea is a neat idea but based on the part I quoted I would be surprised if the story goes that direction.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
goths

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
Just finished TM, for battles was it a show-only thing that the Roci would drain the air and fight in a vacuum in case they got holed? In TM when they take the hit to the outer hull, they’re worried about losing atmosphere.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I juts finished the book tonight and really liked it. I can't wait for the final book and hopefully the return of Miller

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/weschatham/status/1162711613230764033

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*Just walking away...*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I just finished Tiamat’s Wrath after burning through the series in the last month or so.

Absolutely enjoyed the series on a whole, Leviathan Wakes and Calibans War were solid right through.

I think Cibola Burn was probably the weakest but the final quarter or so of the book really helped keep my opinion positive. I liked the ramifications of giving a corporation a government charter and seeing it play out in a way reminiscent of the colonisation of America - I do wish this was explored more if I’m being honest but that’s mostly because I find the concept in history fascinating. The last chunk of the book was excellent though and had the right pacing I’ve come to enjoy throughout the series.

Nemesis Games was excellent but suffered somewhat because of Naomi’s chapters being pretty mediocre compared to fun mysteries with Holden and Alex and Amos being Amos.

Babylon’s Ashes was a wild ride and there was a lot going on, I appreciated it a lot more within the context of Persepolis Rising and, though whilst reading I felt as though Marco’s defeat was far too convenient I feel like the Free Navy overall was a necessary plot to get the story where it needed to be, without existing solely to get the story to that point.

I can take or leave the thirty year skip - I didn’t really feel any “whiplash” as such, but a bit more regarding what the Rocinante was up to during that time could probably make for some good side stories.

Persepolis Rising I thought was pretty great insofar as a set up for the Laconian empire. The thing I missed the most was the Sol system. I think the politics of the Sol system have been the worst casualty of the story going in this direction.

Tiamat’s Wrath has been the best of the bunch though, it hit all the right notes and built upon everything up to this point really well. It’s funny how this series has managed to make the story arcs that felt out of place all connect or be relevant much further down the line. This isn’t something exclusive to Tiamat’s Wrath as all the books past Leviathan Wakes do this, but I am impressed that it manages to maintain cohesion given the scale of it all.

I think my biggest eye roll is that they kinda suck at foreshadowing by beating the reader over the head with it instead of just bread crumbing. The first example that comes to mind because of how recent it is is that I felt like Amos’ death was just drowned out by the fact the repair creatures were just constantly referred to and made out as if a huge neon sign was above them saying “these guys can fix anything!!” It was just a given that whatever happened wasn’t really permanent and there’s a few times the series has done this and made what’s supposed to have been a hectic moment lose a lot of its tempo.

Overall I’m glad I read these books and am looking forward to the conclusion and rereading them early next year or whenever it’s due to come out. They’re fun and have some genuinely thought provoking stuff in them - honestly I think about that charter thing a hell of a lot - and I like the use of history as a storytelling device in general. I particularly like the instances of characters refering to history incorrectly or as their own reading of it, it can be construed as a cheap character building trick I guess, but it works well when it’s employed.

I just hope they can land this properly.