Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

My family is a big believer in the notion of a gay cabal in charge of governments and point to "every show on TV these days has at least one gay person in it" as evidence. When I try to dispute it, it devolves into screaming matches with them claiming I am naive and don't know how the world works.
Stop talking to your family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid made me rent NickHits on Amazon Prime so she could watch Zoey 101. There’s not much that can age badly about something as timeless as that, but in the first episode her father is driving her to school in his cool-dad convertible PT Cruiser.

Literally any other convertible from the early 2000’s would have aged better than that POS.

Also Lee Iacocca just died so RIP Mr Chrysler.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Had a guy on another site who gripes on and on about "forced diversity". Expressed his hate of the Captain Marvel movie, even before it came out, cause "Captain Marvel is a guy!" (Despite the comics version being a woman or two for decades) Called it "The worst marvel movie ever!", even though most of the people on the site liked it. His second least favorite was (duh) Black Panther, because it showed white people as bad guys. He also pontificated at length about US race relations, which he, an Australian, knew all about from his newspapers and what he'd seen on TV and movies.

I blocked him and another guy who was just as bad, but sadly I still see their crap when they get quoted. And naturally, he unironically said at one point "I'm not racist, but..."

How do people so blind to themselves that they can't understand that what they're saying is bigoted?

I'm a little confused about this.

The main bad guy was black. The main bad guys motivations were "kill whitey". And the main good guy was the kind of honorable, noble, law abiding, moderate "black" that these people cream over. (i.e. "I don't hate black people, I hate N*s. If only they would act like white people. etc.") Of the two white people in the main cast, one was a good guy American, the other was a moustachio twirling bad guy foreigner.

So why does he think the movie portrays white guys as the baddies?

I realize that all of the above is a stupid, reductive, and overly simplistic way of missing the point of Black Panther. But when has that stopped right wing racists from using that as a reading of movies/media?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

The main bad guy was black. The main bad guys motivations were "kill whitey". And the main good guy was the kind of honorable, noble, law abiding, moderate "black" that these people cream over. (i.e. "I don't hate black people, I hate N*s. If only they would act like white people. etc.") Of the two white people in the main cast, one was a good guy American, the other was a moustachio twirling bad guy foreigner.

I realize that all of the above is a stupid, reductive, and overly simplistic way of missing the point of Black Panther. But when has that stopped right wing racists from using that as a reading of movies/media?

Representation matters. Having only two White characters is like pretending Caucasians don’t even exist.

<steps into time machine back to 1997>

What? Why does it matter if Seinfeld and Friends have no Black characters? Everyone’s got to whine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair on "Shoehorned" sexual orientation, Captain Kirk has tons of unnecessary sex for no reason, why is that not "shoehorning" his sexuality into the plot but when Sara Lance fucks every girl she sees it is? The reason seems pretty clear to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

William Shatner insisting on it is probably part of the reason—an actual shoehorning in of poo poo that nobody ever complained about except maybe Harlan Ellison.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pardon? nu-trek with pine kirk has definitely been criticized for not understanding the character and just throwing green aliens at him, among the other ways it hasn't translated the character well

e: in fairness i should point out that i don't doubt there's an imbalance, just the fact that homophobes will go after some characters and not others tips the scales, i just mean to say old icons like kirk and james bond do take flak in modern times when they're written so bad it feels like the writers are just going through the motions instead of doing a real arc

vvvve2: you probably should, suggesting that someone was gay was a pretty scandalous thing to accuse someone of in days gone by so there was a tendency to suppose everyone was straight by default unless you had overwhelming evidence

hard counter has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jul 3, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

Here's the problem, though, Tiggum--one, you are posting.

Hope you didn't want me to read the rest of your post.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you read even that much of my post you are a total idiot

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

hard counter posted:

pardon? nu-trek with pine kirk has definitely been criticized for not understanding the character and just throwing green aliens at him, among the other ways it hasn't translated the character well

e: in fairness i should point out that i don't doubt there's an imbalance, just the fact that homophobes will go after some characters and not others tips the scales, i just mean to say old icons like kirk and james bond do take flak in modern times when they're written so bad it feels like the writers are just going through the motions instead of doing a real arc

vvvve2: you probably should, suggesting that someone was gay was a pretty scandalous thing to accuse someone of in days gone by so there was a tendency to suppose everyone was straight by default unless you had overwhelming evidence

Yeah they try to keep the womanizer aspect in the Daniel Craig bond movies and it just comes off like this:
https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kid made me rent NickHits on Amazon Prime so she could watch Zoey 101. There’s not much that can age badly about something as timeless as that, but in the first episode her father is driving her to school in his cool-dad convertible PT Cruiser.

Literally any other convertible from the early 2000’s would have aged better than that POS.

Also Lee Iacocca just died so RIP Mr Chrysler.

Isn't that the one with Britney Spears' sister that got cancelled because she got pregnant and quite possibly by the pedophile producer at Nick?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that the one with Britney Spears' sister that got cancelled because she got pregnant and quite possibly by the pedophile producer at Nick?

She got pregnant, but I’m pretty sure the father was her boyfriend at the time. Anything’s possible though.

I read Corey Feldman’s autobiography so I know all about pedophiles in Hollywood. Feldman is a dipshit, but he knows his pedos. It was weird reading how he had to tiptoe around who Corey Haim’s rapist was because he was too powerful in the industry and then you find out its Charlie Sheen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Near the end of TNG's first season now, I liked Armus. I like his concept, a planet of Jeckylls who figured out how to extract the evil from within themselves, with it coating them like a second skin. Then they just took it off and hosed off, abandoning it to fester. In a sense, the Jeckylls shed their Hides :v:
Also the line in the time distortion episode from Troi about the cafe on the shoreleave place being across from the Men's Dance Palace. I like to think that it's a gay bar/male strip club that Troi frequents. The female equivalent of the horny sailor, finding some bit of male totty for when she's off the ship. She's the most sensitive person on the enterprise, but off duty, she don't give a gently caress.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Pretty much because "the PC brigade" made sure that Africans came out as the heroes, and the movie was a critical and popular success. "So much for diversity, why are there only two white people? Hypocrites!" That sums up his argument, so that's pretty telling about the guy right there, much less all of the other evidence from his other posts. He's also in the "global warming is a hoax by the scientists!" crowd, which made it ever so easy to block his posts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair on "Shoehorned" sexual orientation, Captain Kirk has tons of unnecessary sex for no reason, why is that not "shoehorning" his sexuality into the plot but when Sara Lance fucks every girl she sees it is? The reason seems pretty clear to me.

I don't even think Sara sleeps with all that many women in Legends, it's just that all the women she does sleep with are in some way noteworthy; there's no also-rans in that list. Which may also be true of Kirk to my knowledge (haven't seen TOS Trek), I remember Red Letter Media mentioning once that his womanizing, as well as the famous Shatner Voice everyone makes fun of were either barely there or nonexistant in TOS. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Kirk only slept with like three women, but we think of it as so much more because everyone remembers those three women.

Also, Sara sleeping with women gave me one of my favorite parts from all of Crisis on Earth-X, so screw anyone who speaks ill of that part of her. Sara is the best human Alex Danvers has ever had in her life!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If you have the time then a while ago I read this article: http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/ (which is very long) but also analyses Kirk a little more and speaks up about the pop culture version of him compared to what was in the series.

As I have barely seen any episodes I realised that my knowledge also comes from pop culture so it was a bit of an eye opener!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh my god the ending of Conspiracy, with the bug things that were supposed to be the Borg but for budget issues. His head just exploded and he chestbursts in a pile of gore.

That episode was amazing given that the concept was abandoned in favour of the borg. I laughed so hard when the guy just melted into goo and insects.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh my god the ending of Conspiracy, with the bug things that were supposed to be the Borg but for budget issues. His head just exploded and he chestbursts in a pile of gore.

That episode was amazing given that the concept was abandoned in favour of the borg. I laughed so hard when the guy just melted into goo and insects.

Never gets old.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BioEnchanted posted:

Near the end of TNG's first season now, I liked Armus. I like his concept, a planet of Jeckylls who figured out how to extract the evil from within themselves, with it coating them like a second skin. Then they just took it off and hosed off, abandoning it to fester. In a sense, the Jeckylls shed their Hides :v:
Also the line in the time distortion episode from Troi about the cafe on the shoreleave place being across from the Men's Dance Palace. I like to think that it's a gay bar/male strip club that Troi frequents. The female equivalent of the horny sailor, finding some bit of male totty for when she's off the ship. She's the most sensitive person on the enterprise, but off duty, she don't give a gently caress.

Armus was the ultimate stuff of nightmares for me as a kid. I still get a bit uncomfortable watching that goofy episode.

I think partly because it feels so jarring. TNG is usually a lukewarm bubble bath where the heroes technobabble (or Picard soliloquizes) their way out of problems and have a jolly laugh at the end.

But then bam, here's this oil monster that is totally invulnerable and can't be reasoned with, casually murdering a cast member, puppeting the crew effortlessly, and doing some seriously creepy poo poo with Riker. Even at the end the best the crew can do is retreat and leave a beacon saying 'don't ever loving come here, there's an omnipotent immortal torture god'.

I used to dream he'd seep through the crack under my bedroom door :ohdear:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Krispy Wafer posted:

She got pregnant, but I’m pretty sure the father was her boyfriend at the time. Anything’s possible though.

Not to play conspiracy devil's advocate too much, but unironically that's what they would say, particularly given she was underage at the time.

They did a reunion mini-episode online a few years ago and it was genuinely funny (if you grew up with the show). I'm disappointed they didn't finish it. I assume they couldn't get Spears for whatever reason.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Conspiracy and Skin of Evil both rule. I'm a huge early TNG fan because they had lots of trippy episodes with ultimate weapons, energy cloud beings, space gods, space god cities, and sentient JO crystals, all the stuff that I love about Star Trek.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

To be honest I'm the weird that's not a big fan of sex in movies and feel a lot of times they are just shoehorned in. It's the worst in books because I read horror and cheesy sci-fi and fantasy and sweet Jesus do writers loving love to just drop sex in there, and it's always written so clumsily and awkward.

I didn't need to know that of the Loser Club only the fat one came during the preteen sewer train. Thank you coked out King.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
At least in books it's really easy to skip past. Maybe it's one reason I made it through the whole 5 books but less than one season of GoT.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Len posted:

To be honest I'm the weird that's not a big fan of sex in movies and feel a lot of times they are just shoehorned in. It's the worst in books because I read horror and cheesy sci-fi and fantasy and sweet Jesus do writers loving love to just drop sex in there, and it's always written so clumsily and awkward.

I didn't need to know that of the Loser Club only the fat one came during the preteen sewer train. Thank you coked out King.

I don't know if this is that uncommon. I watch most movies at home and usually if there are sex scenes I just skip past em. They don't tend to add much and they usually go on way too long.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like the clumsy awkward sex scenes because it feels inclusive to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like the clumsy awkward sex scenes because it feels inclusive to me.

I thought any sex scene would leave you out.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

VideoGames posted:

If you have the time then a while ago I read this article: http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/ (which is very long) but also analyses Kirk a little more and speaks up about the pop culture version of him compared to what was in the series.

As I have barely seen any episodes I realised that my knowledge also comes from pop culture so it was a bit of an eye opener!

Hey, this was a really good read; thanks for sharing it!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VideoGames posted:

This is a well reasoned, thought out response to how people see Kirk. On the other hand, doing a Shatner impression is much funnier the other way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

I thought any sex scene would leave you out.

:golfclap:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I absolutely loved that show at the time and rewatched the dvds until I could recite every episode, but have a feeling it doesn’t hold up with its edgy white liberal humor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I absolutely loved that show at the time and rewatched the dvds until I could recite every episode, but have a feeling it doesn’t hold up with its edgy white liberal humor

A lot of 90s stuff is like that. The whole concept of Men in Black really hasn't aged well with a modicum of political retrospect.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Off the top of my head I'd say the trial episode probably comes off as worse than it used to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GoutPatrol posted:

This is a well reasoned, thought out response to how people see Kirk. On the other hand, doing a Shatner impression is much funnier the other way.

I mean, it is still a Shatner impression. It's just 'William Shatner doing spoken a word cover of Rocketman', not 'William Shatner as Captain Kirk'.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of 90s stuff is like that. The whole concept of Men in Black really hasn't aged well with a modicum of political retrospect.

the original comic was a lot more explicit about the Men in Black being a shady and not very heroic organization, iirc

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Same. I know the sheer abundance of gay jokes don't age well. I mean...one of the episodes (Outbreak parody) ends by Dante having to falsely admit he's gay and WHOA, so funny for a straight guy to say he's gay!

But overall, I think it's still pretty funny. It did a couple stabs at meta humor before that was overdone. The second episode was a clip show back to the first episode and things we never saw happen (which is now so overdone I think a classic style clip show would be weird to see.)

The final episode started with Dante and Randall (still the animated versions, but pretending their the actors from the movie...sort of...) at a Comic-Con-esque panel where fans of the Clerks movie were complaining to them about how the cartoon is nothing like the movie (and there were only like 6 or 8 episodes, all produced at once, so it's interesting that Keven Smith et all knew what the fans' complaints would be.) and then the episode gets crazier and crazier, while at the same time being a "bottle" episode that never leaves the Quick Stop, and it finally ends with
Jay-as-Bugs Bunny at an animators' table a-la Bugs Bunny in "Duck Amok" saying, "Ain't I a stinker?"

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
did torchwood deal with the weird 'i'm using alien pheromones to date rape people' with any gravity or was it just that character wiggling his eyebrows to the camera

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hard counter posted:

The new Star Trek was critized for supercharging an aspect of Kirks behavior but no one equates that with pandering

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stop talking to your family

Both the Bachelor and the Bachelorette have exclusively strait contestants to avoid them smooching each other instead of competing. It's possible that some of the background characters are gay, I haven't seen the whole show.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Mamkute posted:

Both the Bachelor and the Bachelorette have exclusively strait contestants to avoid them smooching each other instead of competing. It's possible that some of the background characters are gay, I haven't seen the whole show.

this seems very unlikely, those reality tv shows love drama, you really think they do some rigorous testing to make sure the girls won't make out with each other in the hot tub or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ulex minor posted:

did torchwood deal with the weird 'i'm using alien pheromones to date rape people' with any gravity or was it just that character wiggling his eyebrows to the camera

Wasn't that like the first episode or something?

I know I didn't watch it past that.