Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any plans/announcements about Auto working wirelessly someday?

Yes, that plan was executed in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Plex or Emby?

Check out JellyFin. It's a fork of Emby that doesn't wall off transcoding and other features behind a subscription.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Annath posted:

My car dealership offers to install Android Auto (which I'd assume replaces the stock head unit UI?) for $400.

Is it worth looking into? I've never used android auto.

The car's a 2015 Mazda.

You can try and see if your car is compatible with this.

https://mazdatweaks.com/

I've got it running on my 2016 Mazda and for the most part it works great.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Annath posted:

My car dealership offers to install Android Auto (which I'd assume replaces the stock head unit UI?) for $400.

Is it worth looking into? I've never used android auto.

The car's a 2015 Mazda.

I got the parts and did this myself in about 2 hours one day after work, including the software updates. It was pretty easy, and I'm liking it better than the stock mazda stuff (which you can also still use BTW)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way, at all, of fixing slow-motion videos, taken by a Pixel 2 and backed-up to Google Photos?

I've filmed my baby sister throwing her bridal bouquet at her wedding, using the slowest slow-mo setting available in Google Camera. Photos (web) appears to have completely ignored the 'make this part slow-motion' handles I've played with on Photos (app) - before the video was backed-up to Photos - so, whatever I do, the first and the last eight-or-so seconds of footage are normal speed, and the rest is in slow motion. So the video I'm supposed to share with my family of the bouquet toss, looks mostly like a few minutes of the bride's entourage saying 'mwooorp blaaart mwooorp'. It's garbage. I'd be laughing otherwise.

Per a Reddit search result, I've tried editing the video on Photos (app) and using the 'stabilise' option; this appears to be done on the phone and not on Google's end, and simply dumps a 100% slow-mo video into my photos folder.

I'm really, really loving annoyed at this, and I'm at a loss how to fix this. Any suggestions?

[e] OK I've transferred the video file from phone to PC, and the whole thing seems to be slow motion - which on one hand is a relief, as it means the slow/regular speed isn't 'burnt into' the video and is handled by metadata? I guess? - but then I'm absolutely baffled as to why the hell the 'make this part slow-motion' metadata doesn't stick between phone and webapp.

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 2, 2019

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Might be worth trying the "save copy" option in the photos app to see if it can bake the metadata in properly if it's saving it from scratch.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

What I don't understand is why someone can't just make a USB dongle to enable wireless Android Auto with any AA head unit.

It take seems like something that should be possible pretty easily. If for some reason the USB port didn't provide enough power for that, then you could provide extra power.

There is kind of a way to do that already: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/uk.co.borconi.emil.aagateway Doesn't work on all phones though and is not 100% stable...

Basically you take a cheap androidtv stick or old phone, install the app and connect this to your car. (the Slave device) The app on your phone (the Master device) then redirects AA traffic over wifi to the slave device, which displays it on your car's HU.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I've read up on that before. It just feels like there should be an official product to retrofit.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

Might be worth trying the "save copy" option in the photos app to see if it can bake the metadata in properly if it's saving it from scratch.

There's no 'save copy' option that I can see, but on a hunch I hit 'share' -> 'Save to Drive' and it works! Good idea, thanks a million.

(It's also cut a good chunk off the filesize somehow, despite remaining at the same 1280x720 resolution as the garbage all-slow-mo vid. Weird)

I'll send in-app feedback detailing my magical journey, for whatever good that'll do (I'm betting exactly zero); as an added bonus, the 'help and feedback' thing is only available from the hamburger menu, so I'm unable to include a screenshot of the slow-motion handles that started this whole thing. Which makes that particular feature a joke, as well. :rubshands:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Huh Messages on the web prompts to install a PWA now. I guess if tab pinning is just too much.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Huh Messages on the web prompts to install a PWA now. I guess if tab pinning is just too much.

Google is about to do something new with Messages it seems. They just opened up a beta channel for the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google is about to do something new with Messages it seems. They just opened up a beta channel for the app.

If history is any indication, they're about to break it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If history is any indication, they're about to break it.

It's probably the new version with bubbles or whatever it is someone on XDA found.

So yeah, it's probably going to be broken soon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Honestly, I'm not sure there's anything Google could do in the messaging space that could be impressive at this point. They have so completely lost the plot and are so far behind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure there's anything Google could do in the messaging space that could be impressive at this point. They have so completely lost the plot and are so far behind.

Literally ripping SMS away from the carriers is actually fairly impressive, it's just the fact that we know they can't commit to anything that leaves us cynical.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Keep Gchat alive. That's all I hope for at this point.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Copy imessage, tie it to your Gmail email account. Make it an API and force your OEMs to integrate that API into their lovely stock messaging apps. Done. I have solved the great google messaging problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Copy imessage, tie it to your Gmail email account. Make it an API and force your OEMs to integrate that API into their lovely stock messaging apps. Done. I have solved the great google messaging problem.

You left out the step where they pay the EU a trillion dollars in the antitrust settlement.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Heads up: The first Google Messages beta (v4.7) instantly crashes on start
Oh Google. :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspect Your Gadgets › Android Apps: Never use Google

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 12, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I lied. That's pretty impressive.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Androidpolice posted:

Our resident app teardown master, Cody, believes that this may be due to Messages v4.7 expecting a new version of Google Play services that hasn't rolled out to the public yet. It's happened in the past, and it probably wasn't caught in testing because the engineers didn't account for differences in release schedules.

lmao

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone know why I can't see posts in the awful app? Threads and sub forums show up fine but there's no actual posts! (Of course what this means is I can post any old poo poo I like and never actually hear about it)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone know why I can't see posts in the awful app? Threads and sub forums show up fine but there's no actual posts! (Of course what this means is I can post any old poo poo I like and never actually hear about it)

Try asking in the Awful thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

You can do this:

But the first thing you're going to told is to make sure that Webview and Chrome are up to date.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
That really needs to be the thread's title, but the current one is so good.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a modern replacement for Skymap? I know someone is still maintaining the app, but it doesn't seem to like the GPS in my Pixel 2.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Surprise Giraffe posted:

This:

But also, if this is only a recent thing, it might be you're actually logged out. Try to log out and back in.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hello new friends, recent convert from iOS here.

I've got a dual sim phone figuring it'd nice to finally merge my personal and work phone. It'd be nice to be able to run 2 whatsapps, but there are a lot of apps on the store that claim to do this - any goon preferences?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Cross posting from the Android thread:

Annath posted:

So, I'm experiencing a weird issue.

I put a bunch of audio files (old Art Bell era Coast to Coast AM recordings lol) in a folder on the SD Card (not the inbuilt storage) figuring I could install some audio player and only have those files in the library to browse and play.

But no matter what media player I use, none of them can see the SD Card. They don't see the folder or the files.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make this work?

Also looking for suggestions for an app for that use case: playing long audio files, preferably with the ability to resume playback. I use spotify for music, so it'd basically only be for old radio programs or whatever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Annath posted:

Also looking for suggestions for an app for that use case: playing long audio files, preferably with the ability to resume playback. I use spotify for music, so it'd basically only be for old radio programs or whatever.

I have all of my music on my SD Card, and I use PowerAmp. You can select what folders you want it to scan for music. And I can stop a song at any point, close the app, and when I next open it, it will resume the song where I stopped.

If you've tried PowerAmp, and it can't see your SD card, my first thought would be the version of Android you're using. I've used it just fine on Android 4.4.4 (my old phone), Android 6.0.1 (my current phone), and Android 8.0 (my tablet).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Annath posted:

You're going to want an app designed for playing longform audio that will save your place in multiple files. You could use an app designed for audiobooks, but I think an app designed for Podcasts with the ability to add a local folder as a podcast (or "virtual podcast") will work better. It looks like Podcast addict has this? It's free with ads, so worth trying. Someone in here may have a better suggestion.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For long form audio, I'd say Voice (audiobook player) is a good choice.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a way to pay for Pocketcasts' web player with my Google money?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a Twitter app that actually works? Fenix doesn't have it's timeline chronologically and everything else does not show all of the replies on posts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a way to pay for Pocketcasts' web player with my Google money?

Not that I'm aware.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

We Know Catheters posted:

Is there a Twitter app that actually works? Fenix doesn't have it's timeline chronologically and everything else does not show all of the replies on posts.

Flamingo suits my Twitter needs, not a power user tho so ymmv.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Flamingo suits my Twitter needs, not a power user tho so ymmv.

That's been pulled from the store with no new tokens available.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Sorry, wasn't aware of this. I suppose I was still able to install it recently because I have purchased it in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Sorry, wasn't aware of this. I suppose I was still able to install it recently because I have purchased it in the past?

Yes and it's good that it let you log in. Sucks because I agree, it's the best client.