Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

NPS has had to divert $2.5 million dollars to support Anger Mango's Masturbatory Fourth of July Campaign Stump Speech

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3d70_story.html

people are loving PISSED about this. The Parks are dying from deferred maintenance and this is not an insignificant amount of money for a lot of parks. NPS needs every loving dollar it can get and this is... I can't even describe this.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody important cares though and public anything is anathema to the base so they cheer it on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody important cares though and public anything is anathema to the base so they cheer it on.

I know :cripes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
didn't dum dum actually sign a law a few months back expanding protections or maybe turning national forests into parks. That's not totally terrible right

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought it was the other way? He undid some national park protections so loggers and miners could start working them?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

This Fourth of July thing just keeps getting more farcical:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1146279206088843265

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1146281430126907393

National Mall Superintendent Jeff Reinbold posted:

"What the (main fireworks show) lacks in speed... will be made up for in girth"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Eyes Have It posted:

You remember him creaming his pants over how when KJU talks, his people sit up and listen? Don't remember his exact words, but those really were very nearly his exact words.

That and more. When called on it, Trump said he was just joking.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/392430-trump-i-want-americans-to-listen-to-me-like-north-koreans-listen-to

Milo and POTUS posted:

didn't dum dum actually sign a law a few months back expanding protections or maybe turning national forests into parks. That's not totally terrible right

Congress gave Trump a good bill to sign, which he did.
https://www.apnews.com/8adbf18aaf2e4c8cbdfa0cbd8c378b9c

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McNally posted:

NPS has had to divert $2.5 million dollars to support Anger Mango's Masturbatory Fourth of July Campaign Stump Speech

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3d70_story.html

Thanks for tapping into the money that helps pay for the recovery work me and my coworkers are doing. You loving imbecile.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe imo more Meghan McCain on tv. Big stupid baby can't take being criticized any more.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My wife is pretty anti-military. She doesn't give a gently caress if you served, because it's just a job. She's not callous so much as just sick of the worship and stuff to the military. She knows of .mil poo poo and how the government fucks things up from dealing with the end of my retirement process and all that entails. Last night, she asked about the tank thing for the parade.
"All these gently caress ups- are they like SOP for the Army, or did somebody pull a malicious compliance?"
"Yes."

I mean, it realistically could be one, or both. Anybody know what unit/base they came from?

Kids in Concentration Camps, and he wants to play Nuremburg cosplay.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Well wasn't it only a week notice that they wanted to bring some armoured vehicles into DC? Seems like a short amount of time for something that looks like a logistical nightmare

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Weather for the 4th in DC looks like it might end in a bunch of rascal scooters parked outside an ER.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Well wasn't it only a week notice that they wanted to bring some armoured vehicles into DC? Seems like a short amount of time for something that looks like a logistical nightmare

Yes. IIRC there's absolutely zero armored/tracked vehicles in the immediate area, let alone any of them that are parade ready. I can't think of a single post within 100 miles that houses an armored combat unit, it's all headquarters and logistics.

Some poor battalion commander got told with less than a week's notice they need to miracle up a handful of parade ready vehicles and transport them, an act that usually takes months of coordination, to DC - a region that does not have any sort of dedicated logistics crew for handling tracked vehicles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Weather for the 4th in DC looks like it might end in a bunch of rascal scooters parked outside an ER.

Pretty standard for this time of year. But we do get a lot of tourists from Texas and the plains states that think it doesn't get hot here, only to get crushed under the weight of 97F and a dew point of 75.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

Yes. IIRC there's absolutely zero armored/tracked vehicles in the immediate area, let alone any of them that are parade ready. I can't think of a single post within 100 miles that houses an armored combat unit, it's all headquarters and logistics.

Some poor battalion commander got told with less than a week's notice they need to miracle up a handful of parade ready vehicles and transport them, an act that usually takes months of coordination, to DC - a region that does not have any sort of dedicated logistics crew for handling tracked vehicles.

There's a company from a marine armored reconnaissance battalion in Frederick but they only have lavs. But they aren't tracked so :qq: president probably whined enough that they sent some from gently caress, idk, Knox?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Current event: Arctic Fox walks 2700 miles from Norway to Canada in just a few months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/07/02/an-arctic-fox-walked-miles-norway-canada-yes-thats-possible/?utm_term=.da179f7d453f

quote:

At first, the scientists wondered whether it was a mistake.

Just 21 days after leaving the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, an arctic fox had arrived in Greenland. And in less than three months, it made it to Canada. The fox averaged nearly 30 miles a day — some days, though, it walked almost 100.

“When it started happening, we thought ‘is this really true?’ ” said Arnaud Tarroux, one of the researchers who tracked the female fox. Was there “an error in the data?”

The data was real, the scientists decided as the fox kept going. The creature’s travels last year, documented in a recent paper, wowed Tarroux and his fellow Norwegian researcher Eva Fuglei, even though the animal is known for its endurance and ability to survive in harsh polar areas.

Scientists already knew that some of the foxes, native to Arctic areas all around the Northern Hemisphere, made long journeys: DNA exchange links far-flung fox populations in areas connected only by sea ice. But the fox these researchers followed stood out for just how fast it covered more than 2,700 miles — and shed light on far-north fox sightings that explorers wondered about as far back as the 1800s.

“We didn’t really know how they would do that and how long it would take for an individual to do this kind of trip,” Tarroux said.

The coastal fox the researchers tracked, also known as a blue fox, landed in Ellesmere Island in Canada on July 1, 2018. Of the 50 or 60 animals the scientists put trackers on for a study, it was the only one that ventured outside of Norway.

The researchers think the fox may have taken off because of a food shortage, but they’re not sure. The tracker stopped working in February, so researchers no longer know the fox’s whereabouts, but it was last detected on the same Canadian island in the Nunavut territory.

Another arctic fox has been documented traveling a similar distance, but it made the journey over a longer time period of about half a year. And long treks are said to be more common among another type of the arctic fox, the scientists say. The lemming fox may be more likely to travel amid fluctuations in the lemming populations it depends on for sustenance.

People have been puzzling over arctic foxes’ travels for a long time. In 1885, Norwegian explorer and Nobel laureate Fridtjof Nansen marveled at the fresh fox tracks he spied in the snow during his North Pole expedition.

“What in the world was that fox doing up here out on the wild sea?” Nansen wrote, guessing at one point, “Can they have gone astray?”

The modern-day furry wanderer helps answer Nansen’s question, Tarroux and Fuglei wrote. The creatures that appear far north are part of a broader pattern of DNA being traded among distant groups, sometimes across continents.

Watching their fox’s tracker send back data each day, the Norwegian researchers considered alternative explanations. Could someone else have picked up the tracker? Could it be on board a boat? They were skeptical. But comparing the fox’s movements with data on sea ice, they concluded their data was indeed coming from a walking fox.

While not unprecedented, long-distance travel is rare among arctic foxes, according to the scientists. But over many years and among many animals, Tarroux said, those occasional long paths can add up to the sort of genetic exchange that means arctic foxes all around the far north are strikingly similar.

Sea ice is crucial to the journeys — and it’s receding in the long term because of climate change, he added, noting that melting ice has left an arctic fox population in Iceland isolated.

“This kind of movement will not be possible in the future if the sea ice disappears,” he said.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Vasudus posted:

The coordination for rail transportation would be the biggest pain in the rear end. Transporting a relatively small amount of vehicles by line haul on short notice on the other hand isn't that difficult when the mission requires it.

I'd imagine the bigger concern for the unit tasked to provide these vehicles is the effect on their readiness if the vehicles/crews miss gunnery/live fire, STX or some other qualification event. I'm also sure someone with some rank went with them since the place will be crawling with VIPs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TLDR: This type of movement won't be possible in the future.

Impressive as hell though

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Welcome to the east coast, have some humidity

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's loving 30 already in the soo FFS. At least I have a climate controlled cabin on my machine :smug:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Let President Deals pardon the dude that stole the APC from Fort Pickett last year and let him figure it out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

psydude posted:

Pretty standard for this time of year. But we do get a lot of tourists from Texas and the plains states that think it doesn't get hot here, only to get crushed under the weight of 97F and a dew point of 75.

And they're gonna spend all day in the sun because they got in early to camp out in the "good spots."

Dark Sky says they expect a bit of rain around 8PM too - with a 90F temp feeling like 96F and a stale breath of a breeze under 10mph even on gusts. That's their forecast though, not sure how it compares to the :nws: but 24 hours out it's probably close.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coasterphreak posted:

Welcome to the east coast, have some humidity

o da yumiddity

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

FAUXTON posted:

o da yumiddity

here i saved some for you, please buy stuff while you're around

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

:thunk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Two of the greats? Wtf?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Isn't every single firework that's worth throwing up made in China?

Also, fuel costs a loving lot, dingbat.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

A Bad Poster posted:

Isn't every single firework that's worth owing up made in China?

Grucci Fireworks are made in Long Island. Professional displays are a tad more complicated than backyard fun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks_by_Grucci

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Isn't every single firework that's worth owing up made in China?

Nah just toss some e85 in em and they are good to go....what you mean avgas?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BUG JUG posted:

Nah just toss some e85 in em and they are good to go....what you mean avgas?

Just line up a bunch of people qualifying with M16s/M4s to shoot tannerite soaked in diesel fuel. That'll get ya a boom.

We have fireworks factories here because it's not complicated, just hilariously hazardous. There was a fireworks factory explosion a few, maybe 5 years ago in west TN. They made large shells for programmed shows. Basically, if you're in a big enough city to put on a real show, you hire a pyrotechnician and they source everything, so it's on them as to where they buy from. I wonder what the tariff is on chinese fireworks right now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146435093491277824?s=19

Note: The Fake News Reports came from the DOJ's lawyers and Commerce Secretary Ross, so

https://twitter.com/hansilowang/status/1146470351012073474?s=19

The judge in the Census case has scheduled an emergency WHAT THE loving gently caress meeting. Fuckin laffo if the DOJ lawyers lied to the judge :laugh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coasterphreak posted:

here i saved some for you, please buy stuff while you're around

I lived in FL until the age of 23 and don't mind a little humidity. Now that I live in the upper plains I have learned the full-body discomfort caused by a dry 100F and hate that poo poo more than a humid heat.

Dry heat makes me miserable, I feel it baking my dang eyebrows and just drawing moisture right out of every pore. More than makes up for the fact that you can actually feel the breeze.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, my wife realized that she didn't mind heat that much as long as there is some humidity in the air to stop from drying you to a crisp.

I grew up near rainforest and work/lived quite a few years in the desert so there's not a lot of places I find uncomfortable, although I do like being cool when I sleep.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I worked in high humidity, 40+ every day for a summer and gently caress humidity. I couldn't even take my shirt off after work I was so loving wet

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I do not handle high humidity well at all. I would much rather be in the desert than the swamp.

The AC in my apartment is currently set to 62.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Midway Museum is awesome and I might be the only goon who's even been in an aircraft carrier's nuclear weapon magazine (it's really boring but I'll post pics on request).

I mean by process of elimination i've been in Enterprise's nuclear weapon magazine, but she didn't have nukes by the time I did that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I don't think I am genetically allowed to survive anywhere warmer than a subarctic climate.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Is Midway the one in SF? I took the tour when I was there, was really cool

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

I do not handle high humidity well at all. I would much rather be in the desert than the swamp.

The AC in my apartment is currently set to 62.

Dude, Colorado.

It's like 10-30% humidity, our nightly lows are in the 50s or lower, the heat is on from 8am to about 7pm right now, with afternoon thunderstorms intermittently. The winters are not terrible either.

I mean, should you ever leave the DC area, the weather here is pretty great, occasionally weird, and I'm sure there's work to be had out this way, albeit probably not competitive to your pay now.

My AC is on like from 4-8pm. I still use my heat late at night, currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is Midway the one in SF? I took the tour when I was there, was really cool

San Diego.

SF currently has a very nice submarine and a cargo victory ship.