Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Farmdizzle posted:

Wait

Like, loving how hot is your grill

e: I guess we're talking cheap lovely cling wrap, so I could see that I guess, but goddamn how do you not notice that your steaks feel like saran wrap. For 30 years.

That was my thought process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Almost more horrific than eating the plastic, this means they weren't seasoning the meat.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Almost more horrific than eating the plastic, this means they weren't seasoning the meat.

They may have been seasoning the plastic, which is something

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

something awful.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

But it wouldn't stick, right? Like they'd crack salt and pepper onto plastic wrap and it'd so fall off, wouldn't it?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rydiafan posted:

But it wouldn't stick, right? Like they'd crack salt and pepper onto plastic wrap and it'd so fall off, wouldn't it?

Plastic was maybe covered in meat juices.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sticks with a light coating of olive oil.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For the good of my sanity I think I need to see a film of you cooking a steak, just normally, like you have for 30 years.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I do need some pictures at least to understand the depths of your multi-decade failure

I've gotten stackks of hamburgers with a little plastic disc between them, but it's really really obvious

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Post the steak, coward!

... no-one mention shrimp to me. :colbert:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The steaks that I've been buying from the same store for 30 years have always had a plastic wrapper inside the paper one. I guess that the plastic has always just burned away before.

rydiafan posted:

Sticks with a light coating of olive oil.

This feels like the point where you gave away the joke.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
OK, at the risk of outing myself as an anime watcher, there's something neat I did learn just the other day.

So there's this series, My Hero Academia, and it's pretty much your basic fight anime and this one's particular gimmick is that it's literally superheroes in a world where like 80% of the world has some kind of mutant superpower. And the heros have this motto that gets used every now and again, "Plus Ultra", which is invoked whenever they do the anime thing of reaching their limits and going past it. I assumed it was just that thing where an anime randomly throws in some English words to sound cool and didn't think much of it.

Except as it turns out, "plus ultra" is actually a real Latin phrase. And if you're from Spain you've probably already correctly pegged me as a huge dumbass because it's your national motto, meaning "Further beyond". From what I understand Charles V made it his personal motto as a corruption of the original phrase which translated to something like "No land further beyond".

Anyway, I just always find it interesting when something I thought was just a dumb made-up thing turns out to have an actual basis in history.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There's also the phrase ne plus ultra, meaning the epitome, the zenith, the acme, the ultimate, perfection, etc.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i knew the latin ov- means "egg", i knew -al suffixes mean "having the character of, pertaining to". but somehow, it didn't hit me until today that the word oval means "like an egg".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wait till you hear about ovaries

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Wait till you hear about ovens

sadly they aren't derived from eggs

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I guess this isn't really that blindingly obvious a thing to miss, but I never realised by just how big of a margin New York is the most populous city in the US. Like, it's over double the population of the second biggest, LA.

I guess, living in a small country, my brain just kinda lumps all cities past a certain size point into the same "really big city" category.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Wow. Im from Texas and have spent alot of time in Dallas and Houston and knew they were in the top 10 of most populous US cities so I always assumed they were slightly smaller but it would take Dallas almost 7 times the population to reach New Yorks. That blows my mind.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Wait unt you hear about the UK.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Praseodymi posted:

Paris has about half the population of LA, which is about half of NYC, which is half of Karachi or Beijing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its not only the population, but the population density and the available amount of space which dictates when the city becomes a mess without well-functioning mass transit.

The city center might be a big clusterfuck, but if it was designed when car was around, and it has space to expand to almost any direction the problem is not that big of a deal because of ring roads and highways.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wow. Im from Texas and have spent alot of time in Dallas and Houston and knew they were in the top 10 of most populous US cities so I always assumed they were slightly smaller but it would take Dallas almost 7 times the population to reach New Yorks. That blows my mind.
Dallas is also around 25% bigger in area, too.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Praseodymi posted:

Biggest cities in the UK

1 Birmingham
2 Leeds
3 Glasgow
4 Sheffield
5 Bradford
6 Manchester
7 Edinburgh
8 Liverpool
9 Cardiff
10 Belfast

London is in 66th place with a population of 7,375, sandwiched between Wells (10,536) and St Asaph (3,355). St Davids is next and is the smallest in the UK (1,841), making London the 4th smallest city. Out of 69, it's the 65th biggest.

It isn't even the biggest city in Greater London - that's Westminster (219,396), the 26th biggest city in the UK.

Greater London is made up of 2 cities (those ones) and 45 towns.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

duckmaster posted:

Biggest cities in the UK

1 Birmingham
2 Leeds
3 Glasgow
4 Sheffield
5 Bradford
6 Manchester
7 Edinburgh
8 Liverpool
9 Cardiff
10 Belfast

London is in 66th place with a population of 7,375, sandwiched between Wells (10,536) and St Asaph (3,355). St Davids is next and is the smallest in the UK (1,841), making London the 4th smallest city. Out of 69, it's the 65th biggest.

It isn't even the biggest city in Greater London - that's Westminster (219,396), the 26th biggest city in the UK.

Greater London is made up of 2 cities (those ones) and 45 towns.

Yeah but that's just statistics. Similarly as saying that "over one billion people live in a conflict zone" because technically everything in mainland China is claimed by the Republic of China and 23 million people of Taiwan are claimed by the People's Republic of China.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If that blows your mind then consider that the Greater Tokyo Area is slightly smaller than the New York metropolitan area but has nearly double the population.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

If that blows your mind then consider that the Greater Tokyo Area is slightly smaller than the New York metropolitan area but has nearly double the population.

Three to four Japanese persons can fit in the same space as one American.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

Three to four Japanese persons can fit in the same space as one American.

They really pack 'em in.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That doesn't really happen anymore. The growth of the rail lines in Tokyo has calmed the crowding a lot. I was on Yamanote line in rush hour a few times and it wasn't any more crowded than my own trains back home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

my own trains back home.

OK transport tycoon.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Just found out what mailbox flags are for.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

That doesn't really happen anymore. The growth of the rail lines in Tokyo has calmed the crowding a lot. I was on Yamanote line in rush hour a few times and it wasn't any more crowded than my own trains back home.

Nah, I experience this occasionally. Especially when the weather is bad. The lines coming in from the suburbs are prone to this during rush hour.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nu?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

At first this blew my mind that you didn't know, but then I realized it has to have been more than a decade since I've actually posted mail from my mailbox. So I can completely understand someone having zero idea what it's for.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Lion King is a wholesale plagiarisation of a Japanese IP.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah and most normal Americans don't know it because Disney has made it clear they'll sue anyone who brings an English-language translation of the original to market into oblivion.

e: Which, of course, is literally a 100% admission that they plagiarized it. If it wasn't the plagiarized, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in any court :stonklol:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jul 5, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MariusLecter posted:

Kind of.

And also Hamlet.

Kind of.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't seen either but there are parts that are obviously plagiarized, like shot-for-shot.

e: I have seen those parts, and there's absolutely no possibility they were all a coincidence.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bony tony posted:

Kind of.

And also Hamlet.

Kind of.

Pretty sure the Japanese IP came before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

iajanus posted:

Pretty sure the Japanese IP came before that

Nothing came before Hamlet. Not even Gilgamesh and his so-called “epic”.