Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that stupid folding thing is going to be the olds diesel engine to the entire concept, ruining it for a decade

in order for that to happen it would have to at least be somewhat popular first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I wouldn't mind a smart phone in some kind of flip-phone format if it wasn't a reliability disaster. My main aversion to the Huge Phone trend is putting the stupid thing in my pocket

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

serious question: have you actually tried putting the normal sized ones (iphone xs/pixel 3) in your pockets? (i will grant that the xs maxx and pixel 3 xl and whatever samsung makes might be too big).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My iPhone XS Max with leather case fits perfectly fine in my pockets.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Endless Mike posted:

serious question: have you actually tried putting the normal sized ones (iphone xs/pixel 3) in your pockets? (i will grant that the xs maxx and pixel 3 xl and whatever samsung makes might be too big).

Yeah, I don't like them. A bit too big to be comfortable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
have you tried wearing pants that aren’t glorified leggings?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
lol if you aren't wearing cargo pants or using a tacticool cellphone holster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGuYjbp9tg8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

have you tried wearing pants that aren’t glorified leggings?

as a goon i simply cinch canvas sailcloth around my waist with a length of twine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

as a goon i simply cinch canvas sailcloth around my waist with a length of twine

lah dee dah mister fancy sailcloth the rest of us have to do with a barrel [fortunately plenty of room for my phone in there]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm curious about the cultural history of the wearing a barrel thing. Was that ever a real phenomenon? Was there a time in history when an iron-banded oak barrel and some leather suspenders was cheaper than ragged clothes? Or was it some sort of shame-based punishment meted out to debtors? How common was it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I'm curious about the cultural history of the wearing a barrel thing. Was that ever a real phenomenon? Was there a time in history when an iron-banded oak barrel and some leather suspenders was cheaper than ragged clothes? Or was it some sort of shame-based punishment meted out to debtors? How common was it?

originated in cartoons iirc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i'll let fishmech explain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy_barrel

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/google-stadia-exec-isnt-worried-about-data-caps-but-he-probably-should-be/

quote:

The Google executive in charge of the company's new Stadia game-streaming service says he thinks data caps won't be a problem—but his prediction largely depends on the generosity of ISPs.

In an interview Friday with GameSpot, Google VP Phil Harrison said his confidence stems from US broadband providers' history of treating their customers well.

what loving bizzaro world does he live in?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

The bankruptcy barrel has been used for other meanings such as the January 1989 edition of Esquire magazine which featured Robin Givens on the cover wearing the barrel in a somewhat seductive manner, showing her cleavage partially covered by the barrel

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My phone is really big, but, you know what? It could be bigger. Let's see some real biguns itt

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/1146087796072992768?s=20

Cupertino, start your copiers

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

the one where google fiber triumphed and has made insanely high speed internet a free public good

someone better tell him how the fiber projects worked out for ol’ Goog

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

its on topic for this thread because the android ecosystem is likewise full of piss

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FMguru posted:

its on topic for this thread because the android ecosystem is likewise full of piss

Android: the barrel is full of piss

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
phil harrison also oversaw the troubled launch of the ps3 and the very troubled launch of the xbox one. if he's the talking head for a video game machine, expect Problems.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

phil harrison thinks that if you have bad internet connectivity, you should buy an xbox 360

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the video game bosses that fail into fresh new huge pay jobs one company over is an amazing racket, a good example of capital's circle of life

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bulgakov posted:

the video game bosses that fail into fresh new huge pay jobs one company over is an amazing racket, a good example of capital's circle of life

no reason video game company bosses should be any different than others officers of capitalism

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Boiled Water posted:

no reason video game company bosses should be any different than others officers of capitalism

of course. but day to day most people don't connect with folks circulating amongst finance or energy companies.

video james ~journalism~ even calls these dorks out for seemingly having a trail of failure of launches behind them as they jump between a half dozen companies, but generally never gets too hard on them because losing access journalism status is out of the question :allears:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

losing access to a video games company should be a journalism badge of honor

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
bloomberg is reporting that sarnsung has completed a version of the galaxy fold that they hope is safe for human consumption.

quote:

Samsung Electronics Co. has completed a two-month redesign of the Galaxy Fold to fix embarrassing screen failures that forced its delay, people familiar with the matter say, allowing the Korean giant to debut its marquee smartphone in time for the crucial holiday season.

The world’s largest smartphone maker is now in the final stages of producing a commercial version but can’t yet pin down a date to begin sales, people familiar with the matter said, asking not to be identified describing an internal effort. Samsung pulled the device after several publications including Bloomberg News reported problems with test versions, such as screen malfunctions that emerged after a film on the display was peeled off.

Korea’s biggest company is trying to move past yet another product faux pas. It has now stretched the protective film to wrap around the entire screen and flow into the outer bezels so it would be impossible to peel off by hand, said the people, who have seen the latest versions. It re-engineered the hinge, pushing it slightly upward from the screen (it’s now flush with the display) to help stretch the film further when the phone opens.

That tension makes the film feel harder and more a natural part of the device rather than a detachable accessory, they added. The consequent protrusion, almost imperceptible to the naked eye, may help reduce the chance of a crease developing in the middle of the screen over time, one of the people said.

Samsung will soon start shipping major components for the Galaxy Fold, including the display and battery, to a main plant in Vietnam for assembly while the company debates a launch date, one of the people said. But the company is unlikely to unveil its re-upholstered Galaxy Fold during an Aug. 7 “Unpack” event in New York for the new flagship Note 10 phone, one of the people said. A Samsung representative declined to comment.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jabor posted:

phil harrison thinks that if you have bad internet connectivity, you should buy an xbox 360

:bahgawd: but are troops need their vidya games

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgakov posted:

video game bosses always have a weak spot. keep shooting that when it’s exposed and avoid their fire when they shield it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

APEX is actually an acronym for "Android Pony EXpress."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Kins posted:

bloomberg is reporting that sarnsung has completed a version of the galaxy fold that they hope is safe for human consumption.
the screen protector is still load-bearing, they just made it harder to peel off

almost two thousand earth dollars for a device that will fail in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of hours

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FMguru posted:

the screen protector is still load-bearing, they just made it harder to peel off

almost two thousand earth dollars for a device that will fail in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of hours

they added a decoy screen film so you can still get your kinks off

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Kins posted:

phil harrison also oversaw the troubled launch of the ps3 and the very troubled launch of the xbox one. if he's the talking head for a video game machine, expect Problems.

Mattrick was the head at Xbox when the Xbone was developed and launched, and also the dude behind the 360 comment. Harrison was a vp and largely focused on Europe.
not like it’s that much better, Harrison still sucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

incels interlinked posted:

My iPhone XS Max with leather case fits perfectly fine in my pockets.

thanks for posting in yospos, mc hammer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Kins posted:

harrison was the white guy in charge of sony europe they paraded in front of western audiences, but the ps3 disaster was pretty much all ken kutaragi and the japanese management team building expensive, overcomplicated hardware with lovely software tools and thinking that it would succeed on brand recognition alone

the american and european arms of sony basically wound up salvaging the mess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

harrison was the white guy in charge of sony europe they paraded in front of western audiences, but the ps3 disaster was pretty much all ken kutaragi and the japanese management team building expensive, overcomplicated hardware with lovely software tools and thinking that it would succeed on brand recognition alone

the american and european arms of sony basically wound up salvaging the mess

from someone I know who worked on ps3 (my uncle at Sony), all of the decisions come from Japan and there’s no way to argue against them even if they are very dumb.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
this dude is an experienced android dev and just lmao

https://twitter.com/jcase/status/1147242930572165120

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ProjektorBoy posted:

this dude is an experienced android dev and just lmao

https://twitter.com/jcase/status/1147242930572165120

I want to make the spend less on candles joke but can't make it land. Just to back to whatever Q is and love it android dev dude

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
someone should tell him his operating system is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/jcase/status/1147270279850156032?s=19