Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It stinks that I had to buy a new set of controllers when my launch day one started to drift but it rules that I now have bright yellow joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait is that Demon Machina game just Armored Core?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, it's made by a bunch of ex-From Armored Core people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it's made by a bunch of ex-From Armored Core people.

Well hot dog

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martman posted:

If Mario doesn't reach out of the screen and slap me in the face then it's basically 2D.

You’re thinking of 3D Land

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Wayforward just announced a River City Ransom spinoff, River City Girls, where you apparently rescue Kunio and Riki from the cops (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

Out in September for Switch (and other, lesser platforms)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

Wayforward just announced a River City Ransom spinoff, River City Girls, where you apparently rescue Kunio and Riki from the cops (?)

very well might

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks cool but Wayforward games are always extremely mediocre at best.

EDIT: Contra 4 was good.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
My left joycon drifts when not docked, which kind of works to give better Mario Kart players a bit of a handicap.

I think if I get a replacement pair this might be the one time that those GameStop warranties wouldn't be pure upselling and could actually be worth it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You cant gently caress up an rcr game the mechanics are set in stone. All you need is decent jokes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Shantae and Ducktales Remastered are good. Certainly good enough to make me think they can make a RSR sequel fun

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They'll somehow give it the permadeath mechanic from Alien Infestation.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hollow Knight chat from a few pages ago: I honestly am flummoxed by all the people who thought it was bland or boring or too long. I was entranced from the moment it started through the very end and I wanted more when it was over. Also I’m not super great at games and it was quite difficult but always felt fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I honestly think it’s one of the very best games ever made. So interesting how polarizing it is!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

Hollow Knight chat from a few pages ago: I honestly am flummoxed by all the people who thought it was bland or boring or too long. I was entranced from the moment it started through the very end and I wanted more when it was over. Also I’m not super great at games and it was quite difficult but always felt fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I honestly think it’s one of the very best games ever made. So interesting how polarizing it is!

I agree with all your premises and I think that how polarizing it is proves one thing - Hollow Knight is Art

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Hollow Knight is Art

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Hollow Knight is Fart

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Bloop posted:

Hollow Knight is Bart
's Nightmare for a new generation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If only the Knight was full of fun, interesting gameplay

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

All the people talking about stick drift and getting new controllers, seriously, just listen to the people suggesting electronic contact cleaner. I finally got around to using some on all of my janky joycons like a month ago and they've been working just fine since.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Actually, Double Dragon Neon is the greatest game ever made

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1146441093581377537?s=19

God drat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EightFlyingCars posted:

Actually, Double Dragon Neon is the greatest game ever made

Wrong. It’s Broforce. Fight me

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it have a Billy Joel-esque musical number sung by Not-Skeletor? Check and mate

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

only just now noticed that there's a DQ builders 2 demo :stoked:

also, virtua racing just looks so nice with that flat polygon style and runs and plays so good :swoon:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wayforward port DD Neon to Switch, thank you

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Doesn't have Ice Cube, your opinion is incorrect.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Wayforward port DD Neon to Switch, thank you

:emptyquote:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dantheman650 posted:

I feel that way about Breath of the Wild. :shrug:

And honestly I liked Hollow Knight. I was just horrible at it and my horribleness eventually detracted from the overall experience. I've been bad at games before and just been able to push through just from sheer stubborn determination. Hollow Knight, with the losing money when you die twice thing... that was just a gut punch when I was down. :smith: If there was a setting to turn that mechanic off, I'd pick the game back up again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

The driving cabinets were always the most expensive (not counting DDR). I still remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JC-HCNcio

costing a buck a shot.

The only thing that cost more than racing games when I was a kid was the T-MEK arcade, which was fun but hard as hell. Virtual On was always 0.50-1.00 per play/continue, too.

Bigass Moth posted:

I’m going to eventually get a switch when DQXI comes out. Are they planning a revision to the console like Nintendo always does or is it too early in the lifecycle to do that (never too early for Nintendo I’m sure.)?

It's all but confirmed a Switch Mini is coming out but other than that who knows.

Cojawfee posted:

Well it didn't really even survive that. The electronics did, but they had to install a new screen.

It only needed a new screen so you could see what was going on. It worked fully other than that.

My gameboy had a battle explode (or pop and burst open to be more accurate) when fighting Magnate in FFL2 and not only did my Gameboy still work it didn't stop working when the battery burst. Though it did make a ripple on the screen and I had to clean battery residue and some powered out of the case afterwards.

In terms of durability, OG Gameboys are right up there with the spoons that Wendy's used to have. A different time. A durable time. :corsair:

Real hurthling! posted:

You cant gently caress up an rcr game the mechanics are set in stone. All you need is decent jokes.

RCR Underground seems kinda hosed up, balance wise anyways. You have one character start with a multi-hit spin kick that's pretty spammable and murders everything, while Alex gets the super knee from Double Dragon 2 but it hits once for mediocre damage when it should do a fuckload of damage to the person it hits as well as anyone hit by the enemy it just launched at warp speed. :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only thing that cost more than racing games when I was a kid was the T-MEK arcade, which was fun but hard as hell. Virtual On was always 0.50-1.00 per play/continue, too.

It's all but confirmed a Switch Mini is coming out but other than that who knows.

It only needed a new screen so you could see what was going on. It worked fully other than that.

My gameboy had a battle explode (or pop and burst open to be more accurate) when fighting Magnate in FFL2 and not only did my Gameboy still work it didn't stop working when the battery burst. Though it did make a ripple on the screen and I had to clean battery residue and some powered out of the case afterwards.

In terms of durability, OG Gameboys are right up there with the spoons that Wendy's used to have. A different time. A durable time. :corsair:

RCR Underground seems kinda hosed up, balance wise anyways. You have one character start with a multi-hit spin kick that's pretty spammable and murders everything, while Alex gets the super knee from Double Dragon 2 but it hits once for mediocre damage when it should do a fuckload of damage to the person it hits as well as anyone hit by the enemy it just launched at warp speed. :argh:

Ok aside from underground (which i skipped and played the excellent 3ds game instead)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Are you aware of how many crappy Kunio-kun games exist? In the US we basically got all of the good ones with a couple of exceptions while there's about two dozen more bad ones that were released in Japan.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Holy poo poo pisssss

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MZ posted:

Wait really? That's a bold claim, I've read other comments that have said almost the opposite, i.e. "don't go into this expecting a proper single player mario game".....

Yes, I even liked the NSMB games more than most people in this forum seemed to.

PantsBandit posted:

It's total BS. The levels are fine. But they're mostly designed to demonstrate individual design functionality piecemeal, so there's no consistent world-theming or build-up like you'd see in a standard Mario campaign.

Different people have different opinions but let's not pretend 2d Marios post SMW are all untouchable classics. I love the levels in this game because they try new things, are well done, and are fair. There isn't world theming but I don't need 8 levels set on dinosaur island then 8 levels on donut plains. I enjoy how much experimentation is in this game. I am shocked how much more I like the single player than expected and do see it as a selling point for this game.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I ...did not know that.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Super Mario Maker 2 is like a really awesome Super Mario Bros. level pack that happens to come with the tools to make your own levels and play other people's levels. It's really the best of both worlds, for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

Rumors are plentiful about an updated Switch model (maybe 2!) coming out, but no actual confirmations as of yet.

My personal bet is still that there is no updated Switch model and all rumors are wrong. Hilariously, completely :wrong:

parasyte posted:

Holy poo poo I need this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Libluini posted:

My personal bet is still that there is no updated Switch model and all rumors are wrong. Hilariously, completely :wrong:

Holy poo poo I need this

Takahashi Moizuchi isn't some rumor monger posting on reddit, he's a real, credible reporter for the WSJ with connections to the Japanese game industry and sources in the manufacturing industries in China.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I guess if I squint I can sorta see it?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Len posted:

I guess if I squint I can sorta see it?

It looks just like it lmao

Where is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fun Times! posted:

It looks just like it lmao

Where is that?

I mean if you raise the water level, lower the cliff that house is on, and remove the mountain that's right there sure