Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Random level review:

Hot Tootsies

9Y3-B0Q-QGF

I like the level's idea and design. But I am probably the worst ever at correctly throwing a pow at two munchers to kill both. This is at least the third level that has made me come to terms with this.

Didn't beat, but I think I'll come back to this one.

I liked that one up until the checkpoint, because it took forever to get there and I thought it might be done before going in the door with it, but instead the room with the checkpoint had this one tile gap to maneuver through between spikes and it was so torturous to get through I just quit out of it then and there. Having to do a pixel perfect drop in that gap while making sure you're not moving in the span of like 1 second just didn't fit like the rest of the challenges did and was only frustrating; I knew even if I passed it I would fail something farther in the level just due to not knowing about it and be returned to that spike hell to die a few more times until I forget what happened later in the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

TheAardvark posted:

Random level review:

Hot Tootsies

9Y3-B0Q-QGF

I like the level's idea and design. But I am probably the worst ever at correctly throwing a pow at two munchers to kill both. This is at least the third level that has made me come to terms with this.

Didn't beat, but I think I'll come back to this one.

Hey thanks! That's my favorite level I've made so far.

Also as a heads up for when you come back, there are 4 rooms with a checkpoint after room 2.

Edit

Phantasium posted:

I liked that one up until the checkpoint, because it took forever to get there and I thought it might be done before going in the door with it, but instead the room with the checkpoint had this one tile gap to maneuver through between spikes and it was so torturous to get through I just quit out of it then and there. Having to do a pixel perfect drop in that gap while making sure you're not moving in the span of like 1 second just didn't fit like the rest of the challenges did and was only frustrating; I knew even if I passed it I would fail something farther in the level just due to not knowing about it and be returned to that spike hell to die a few more times until I forget what happened later in the level.

Yeah I regretted that part when I was doing the clear check but I felt that first drop needed some kind of challenge. At least it was after the checkpoint for players though.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 3, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

internet celebrity posted:

Hey thanks! That's my favorite level I've made so far.

Also as a heads up for when you come back, there are 4 rooms with a checkpoint after room 2.

Oh jesus haha. Well let me just get over my massive hump of the very first obstacle and I'll let you know about the rest, I guess.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Doubleposting to say if you have any uncleared challenging levels that at most require light kaizo tech (but preferably not because kaizo tech is so much harder to me in MM2), gimme them level codes.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Alright Paizanos! Its the Super Goonio Bros. Super List! Of the First 100 Levels in the Spreadsheet These are 10 worth your time!
The criteria are as follows: Would I play it again. (sorry Auto Scrollers and Puzzle Levels)
If your course was not listed, Its probably still good, but gets lost in the morass of other good courses.
If you have more than one course listed, its probably because you have like 20 courses in the first 100. Courses are listed in the order they were on the list not in any quality order.

#19 See the Saws GVL-H6F-T8G byCheetah7071
This is one level that wont put you on tilt.

#25 Sky Stroll LG7-FQP-R1G by CheeseTriangles
The comments speak for me: Olvies: "i'm using tilt controls", KB183: "this feels like an official level!"

#50 Cruise Through The Clouds WB3-R1V-LPF by BowieFett
Unique Concept, ends before it gets on your nerves.

#53 Walking my Doggo Vo.oV ML1-KV3-XMG by BabyRyoga
Not much to say really, you do a puzzle.

#56 Abyssal Adventure 9HJ-VK3-41G by Random Stranger
Designed as a versus course, but its just well made in general.

#66 Jungle Crawl 1HS - 1K0 - T1H by ThisIsACoolGuy
Coolguy accidentally made a speedrun level, that's why the clear rate is messed up.

#68 Global Warming ~磯焼け~ P5V-CC0-J3G by Baby Ryoga
Cute little desert stage.

#70 Revenge of the Wooden Saucers WN2-2DJ-RWG by Azraelle
Play this level! Its like a cake of Mario goodness, with the second half handing you a tub of frosting and a spoon.

#73 Jungle Hijinxs 5PB-PKC-FVF by Procrastine Stop stealing my world records you dick!
Embrace the inherent farce of this level, and then realize tropical freeze is still like $60.

#77 June Hills HG6-X4J-7RF by Drinkfist
Funny Joke!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

Got my hat for getting to 100 in Endless Normal.

Ladies...

Well I know what I’m going for next

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

For 3d world the best mine cart emulation would probably be the actual car

Thinking about it but you can control the car! I want them to be my prisoners

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

Fast Autoscroll and oppositional conveyors would make them essentially unable to turn around

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

I've seen people do something like that in MM1 by dropping a blaster on a beetle fired from a red cannon. It moves faster than Mario's max speed so you're stuck to it the whole time.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Icicles creating global ground is amazing, i can create 1 contraption that affects the entire level instead of having to copy one chunky thing and paste it in every couple of feet

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I feel like every time I have an idea for something in the 3d tileset, the block/mechanic I need isn't there. No note blocks?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Icicles creating global ground is amazing, i can create 1 contraption that affects the entire level instead of having to copy one chunky thing and paste it in every couple of feet

Yeah, it seems like it’s gonna be real good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen people do something like that in MM1 by dropping a blaster on a beetle fired from a red cannon. It moves faster than Mario's max speed so you're stuck to it the whole time.

Beetles slide out from under blasters now

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FlashFearless posted:

I feel like every time I have an idea for something in the 3d tileset, the block/mechanic I need isn't there. No note blocks?
It's ve-e-ery limited.
But I've discovered that you can send squeaks on really long trips by springing them off their start spot, forcing them to jump and then placing a glass pipe there so that they jump into it and set off on a wild pathfinding adventure. Winged ones also fly.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

TheAardvark posted:

I beat it without using either long jumps or rolls :downs:

Great level though. I really hate the two flames directly after the checkpoint. I've never felt stupider than losing a mushroom to that like.. 4 times.

Thank you!

I'm glad you were able to beat it (and maybe get all the secrets?) without using Mario's special moves! I spent a ridiculous amount of time making sure people who don't know, or don't want to accept, our favorite plumber has learned few tricks since 1985 could still 100% it.

Sorry about the flames. I did get carried away with those things.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rollersnake posted:

Good objective-based easy level, and I liked your underwater scenery. If you try to walljump up the right wall at the beginning of the stage, you hit a boss music trigger, which I assume was left there by mistake.

Good catch on the boos music! I had no idea that was there. I fixed it and reuploaded the course.

Anyone who wants a WR or First Clear can try the new code: FFJ-TS1-20H

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 3, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FlashFearless posted:

I'm not super fond of the 3D World theme due to the number of objects and their interactions being so limited. I get what they were trying for and giving those stages a unique feel when the major differences in the other four styles is slight variations in abilities. Without isolating 3D World stuff, it would just be NSMBU. But the partition feels arbitrary and unnecessary. Also, they shouldn't have kept the builder hammer 3D World only.

It feels like Odyssey would be a better choice since at least there's unique mechanics to that Mario and adding the ability to control enemies would open up some fun options.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not super fond of the 3D World theme due to the number of objects and their interactions being so limited.

It's really frustrating because it looks so good. Especially compared to the dogshit NSMB theme

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Hello all...let me know what you think of this. I called it...

Maio the Roguelite
Y90-B5S-T8G

A few things:

1) Trigger warning big bowser.
2) I wanted to see if I could create a level that the payer could take different types of power ups and beat the boss but also seem fair? I don't think its too challenging but the fun is playing with the power up combos.
3) I wanted to include a way to have players get coins to get a hidden star but couldn't make it work.

Enjoy?

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows

Doubleposting to say if you have any uncleared challenging levels that at most require light kaizo tech (but preferably not because kaizo tech is so much harder to me in MM2), gimme them level codes.

3VF-KHQ-8FG
Small training type Kaizo upside down course with like 3 or 4 tech pieces, not overly difficult since there's only a few places you can really die.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

It feels like Odyssey would be a better choice since at least there's unique mechanics to that Mario and adding the ability to control enemies would open up some fun options.

I bet this is going to be DLC at some point. They left a gap in the theme selection window.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

To the spreadsheet guy, I left my corrected code for my level as a comment! Whenever you get around to doing those it would be appreciated.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
First level of Mario Maker 2 is done. Took about an hour get it cleared for submission, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Ran into issues with maxing out on enemy placements in the sub area as I was trying to have Munchers on top of Monty Moles who'd jump up under you during the jumping sections which is definitely a more fun design, but ended up just going with spike blocks to get the same effect for what the jumps would be but also a bit more boring. Freed up resources for a second area in the subsection where I was able to get Rocky Wrenches in instead.

Also learned that a way to get around enemy placement cap is to just use red or yellow warp pipes to get an area flooded if needed. And stacking moles on moles is good and I love Monty Mole, he's a good friend.

I tagged it as a standard level on the spreadsheet, because while there is precise jumping and some confined areas with enemies I don't think it bleeds over into kaizo type territory?

Mole Holes

957-V61-1WF

I'd appreciate feedback anyone has!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
I made my very first Mario Maker level. I tried doing something in the style of Mario 1, but with more verticality.
It's called Bill Town USA because I put many bills in the level

MJ6-N4J-WVF

Also, I made it before seeing all the advice, so it's probably super rough. And for some reason it didn't save the tweaks of the final version. Guess I did something wrong, so there are a few questionable things. Still, I think it's playable and not awful?
Hope you enjoy it!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

It's really frustrating because it looks so good. Especially compared to the dogshit NSMB theme

The music is so much better too :smith:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Fast Autoscroll and oppositional conveyors would make them essentially unable to turn around

Thanks for the tips! Gonna put a minecart adventure together soon. With the 3D World carnival theme I think I can get a DKC2 roller coaster vibe going.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’m not trying to spark any debate but I tried the 8bitdo adaptor and used my ds4 for a bit, but I wasn’t digging it so I purchased a returnable pro controller to try the dpad for myself. Checked for input issues etc and it didn’t present any issues to me. I think I’m gonna keep the pro controller for this game because it feels great to me, dpad and all

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Rollersnake posted:

The one spot in the level I really dislike is around the third red coin.

Thank you for the feedback! I went back through this section with this in mind, and I definitely agree with you. I'll have to work on it, keep primary focus on the coin and maybe relax the timing window a bit. As a heads up for anyone else playing, the red coins aren't necessary to complete the level, so don't stress if you miss one.

Got through a nice chunk of goon courses last night, I'll do a write up once I'm home so other folks can get some feedback.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Thank you!

I'm glad you were able to beat it (and maybe get all the secrets?) without using Mario's special moves! I spent a ridiculous amount of time making sure people who don't know, or don't want to accept, our favorite plumber has learned few tricks since 1985 could still 100% it.

Sorry about the flames. I did get carried away with those things.

Where was I intended to use the roll/long jump mechanics? I cleared to the checkpoint in one try and didn't see any obvious points after that. The bug things? (PS what are those purple things called? They have my least favorite hitboxes in the game)

I will probably take another run at it with that in mind.

Edit: I will say for future reference that I mostly didn't like that the fireballs just seemed a little mean. They are timed exactly to cause you to lose the mushroom if you go full speed. I think it's a good idea to let the checkpoint allow full speed so you get amped up for the challenge from the beginning? Not sure. I'm trying to improve my own levels and that's something I am going to try and implement for my own platformer levels. At least the ones that aren't "go step by step" like my last one.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 3, 2019

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
5W3-QGL-C2H

Here's my first go at designing a level. I tried to keep it simple and traditional but I didn't know how to end it. Anyway, if anybody likes it or has an idea to tack onto the end let me know. I'll probably come back later and change it up.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

Where was I intended to use the roll/long jump mechanics? I cleared to the checkpoint in one try and didn't see any obvious points after that. The bug things? (PS what are those purple things called? They have my least favorite hitboxes in the game)

I will probably take another run at it with that in mind.

Right before the warp pipe, Long jump from the bottom cloud. If you time it right, you should land right under the ? boxes and get some goodies that should help with the purple bugs.

In the fortress section, immediatly after the thwomp section, you can roll underneath the spikey block instead of crawling and jumping.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tried my hand at a 'modern' style Mario level with a unique mechanic that gets more complex and difficult as you get into the level. Feels like I have a lot of development space with it and I might make similar courses depending on feedback.

Misfire Marsh 1 - XSQ 951 5MG

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Right before the warp pipe, Long jump from the bottom cloud. If you time it right, you should land right under the ? boxes and get some goodies that should help with the purple bugs.

In the fortress section, immediatly after the thwomp section, you can roll underneath the spikey block instead of crawling and jumping.

Ahh. Gotcha. I'll take another run at it. It's going to take a while for me to internalize the new mechanics and use them in situations other than "this is the only way through". I even saw the description first and never once used them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have suggestions for how to signal that a block is required? (Key or a specific powerup that is needed). I used a lot of arrows in my last level. Maybe throw it in an unattainable block above? I haven't seen that often.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

Anyone have suggestions for how to signal that a block is required? (Key or a specific powerup that is needed). I used a lot of arrows in my last level. Maybe throw it in an unattainable block above? I haven't seen that often.

Put a burner, firework, or dotted line block around it? Or use coins as arrow.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Circle Nine posted:

First level of Mario Maker 2 is done. Took about an hour get it cleared for submission, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Ran into issues with maxing out on enemy placements in the sub area as I was trying to have Munchers on top of Monty Moles who'd jump up under you during the jumping sections which is definitely a more fun design, but ended up just going with spike blocks to get the same effect for what the jumps would be but also a bit more boring. Freed up resources for a second area in the subsection where I was able to get Rocky Wrenches in instead.

Also learned that a way to get around enemy placement cap is to just use red or yellow warp pipes to get an area flooded if needed. And stacking moles on moles is good and I love Monty Mole, he's a good friend.

I tagged it as a standard level on the spreadsheet, because while there is precise jumping and some confined areas with enemies I don't think it bleeds over into kaizo type territory?

Mole Holes

957-V61-1WF

I'd appreciate feedback anyone has!

The enemy spam is real! I get the impression that you may have suffered from the classic problem of overtuning the difficulty simply because you know your own level. Try to think about how a new player would approach the level not knowing that anything is coming. Go very slow and see how that feels to play. I got as far as the part where you had to blind dash over the spikes and land on the pipes with the rocky wrenches, bu the first part is too unpleasant for me to continue banging my head against it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Communication in Mario Maker is hard. In the case where you just want a signal, then putting the requirement locked up above the entrance to the area and allow players to double back is generally good. A better solution is to let the players see right from the start that they need whatever and then have them go off to find it, but you have to build your level around that idea.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

Tried my hand at a 'modern' style Mario level with a unique mechanic that gets more complex and difficult as you get into the level. Feels like I have a lot of development space with it and I might make similar courses depending on feedback.

Misfire Marsh 1 - XSQ 951 5MG

This is my favorite goon level so far. Absolutely loved it. It looks great, cool gimmick, perfect difficulty level, it was hard as balls (to me at least) but never frustrating. I can't imagine how long it took you get the timing right!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheAardvark posted:

I think probably the best way to go about it is to introduce the concept in an extremely obvious form at the beginning of the level. If you're making a level where you need to grab a kuribo's shoe, for instance, make the first room of the level a straight path with one shoe goomba and a line of munchers you can't jump over leading to a pipe or door that leads to the "real level." A single obstacle and then a screen transition really puts it into focus, it signals to the player that this is going to be the main gimmick of the level and they'll be on the lookout for more of it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Random Stranger posted:

Communication in Mario Maker is hard. In the case where you just want a signal, then putting the requirement locked up above the entrance to the area and allow players to double back is generally good. A better solution is to let the players see right from the start that they need whatever and then have them go off to find it, but you have to build your level around that idea.

Hmm. That might be tough, I've been using them as a way to force a certain path through a difficult area. It feels like I can build a challenge that puts you in a sketchy situation better that way than any other way.

Edit: I should mention, I'm mostly building levels for a group of friends who are all challenging eachother. I think we're to the point where all of our levels are in Super Expert, so not building normal levels. My goal is to make extremely challenging levels without resorting to bullshit, hence why I'm trying to signal everything important.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Thwomp and Chomp's Big Day Out
S43-D7J-HYF

A gimmick I used briefly in a level I made in Mario Maker 1 but I made it into it's own level. Mostly made it to get a handle of the new interface, but I think it's okay.