Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What does Framemeister offer over OSSC aside from more native output/inputs? Probably going to get an OSSC for streaming/archiving footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not super well versed in all of what the OSSC offers, but the main difference as I understand it is that the Framemeister is a). an actual upscaler rather than a line doubler/tripler, b). can do 1080p whereas the OSSC is 720p and c). has in general more options for fine tuning your output depending upon your source or situation. On the other those first two points you could argue are positives in favor of the OSSC because means zero lag and a more even resolution dividing into 4k.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
The Framemeister is a much better choice for deinterlacing 480i content. Stuff like the Retrotink and the OSSC use Bob deinterlacing which isn't as nice and can cause burn-in on some displays.

I originally planned to sell my Framemeister when I got a Retrotink, but the difference for a system like the PS2 is huge, so I'm keeping it until a comparable deinterlacing device comes out.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I sold my SD2SNES to someone here and I think I will be listing my Mega Everdrive X7 and N8 as well (I'm a sucker for the new stuff).

I'll grab some pictures and post on the for sale section, but if you want them quick, shoot me a PM.

I'll price them at the Black Friday sale price and they are both like new with SD cards, full of... uh, old work files I don't use anymore.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I'm just gonna hold onto my Framemeister until such a time comes as there's an upscaler that can handle resolution changes as instantly as CRTs can (or way, way closer to it than these modern devices get, anyway). Even if I'm not actively using it at the moment, it seems worthwhile to have around in case I need it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I don’t care about the absolute best picture quality will OSSC do the trick? It’s weird, I can justify ~150 bucks but not ~350 for good picture on a modern tv. I’ve also heard framemeister has issues with games that Change resolutions like Chrono Cross.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

al-azad posted:

If I don’t care about the absolute best picture quality will OSSC do the trick? It’s weird, I can justify ~150 bucks but not ~350 for good picture on a modern tv. I’ve also heard framemeister has issues with games that Change resolutions like Chrono Cross.

Yeah the OSSC should be fine for most use cases but I believe it also has issues with games that change resolution on the fly (Or maybe I'm misremembering).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The main drawback of the OSSC is that you need a display that will support it. The OSSC can digitize and multiply lines by 1-5X at near-realtime speeds. However, multiplying the output from old game consoles results in display modes with odd resolutions and timings that a wide variety of displays don't support. I have two televisions of differing brands that will not recognize anything but 2X resolution output. Computer monitors tend to be way more forgiving.

Framemeister, from what I understand, offers widely supported output at a extremely modest latency cost compared to the OSSC.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just preordered this. guess they're retoish by now, and despite never having played D&D proper (or these games) I love d&d stuff. This special edition (and I never buy special editions) is pretty great:

https://store.skybound.com/products...9XMbe6HpoQcqRTU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm trying to follow that image, seems like someone was having a tough time with Roman numerals there

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

al-azad posted:

What does Framemeister offer over OSSC aside from more native output/inputs? Probably going to get an OSSC for streaming/archiving footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoOKLWIMKU

There's a lot more to it than just "Line Doubler vs Scaler", and there's a full episode of MLiG about it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Just preordered this. guess they're retoish by now, and despite never having played D&D proper (or these games) I love d&d stuff. This special edition (and I never buy special editions) is pretty great:

https://store.skybound.com/products...9XMbe6HpoQcqRTU

holy poo poo. is this the skybound store only? i was pondering getting some of these for switch for shits and giggles (had them pc since all their OG releases and EE releases) and i always wanted a parchment map instead of the normal paper ones they gave you.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I got an email recently about trading in my SD2SNES for a PRO version for $99 bucks. Does the thread have any opinions on if this is worthwhile? As best I can tell it's "better/more powerful" but doesn't actually do anything different yet.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 29, 2019

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Tree Dude posted:

I got an email recently about trading in my SD2SNES for a PRO version for $99 bucks. Does the thread have any opinions on if this is worthwhile? As best I can tell it's "better/more powerful" but doesn't actually do anything different yet.

Do you think you could sell it to some rando on the internet for more the $99 because I think I can.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah I’m thinking of upgrading too, but I have yet to find a compelling reason to do so.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
If the Pro gets support for Super Gameboy and eliminates the need for an Everdrive GB that would be pretty rad.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Tree Dude posted:

Not really, you can just sell it here for $140-160 like I did.

Same as I'm doing with my X7 and N8, when I get around to taking pics...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Caitlin posted:

Honestly I haven't touched it but you're probably right, it's just that before that came out it WAS the only way to do it (and that was also true the last time I talked about it on Retronauts, I'm pretty sure). So I just forgot about it :toot:

(but also Splatterhouse 2010 is like $5-10 and comes with the other 2 Genesis games)

Yeah this is all true, and it's certainly the easiest way to get hold of 2 and especially 3 these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx8WfsrthvM

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have been given an Xbox 360. Can anyone point me towards some resources for neat things I can do with it (hacking, emulators, cord-cutting, etc)?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo. is this the skybound store only? i was pondering getting some of these for switch for shits and giggles (had them pc since all their OG releases and EE releases) and i always wanted a parchment map instead of the normal paper ones they gave you.

Just a heads up that the item description says "parchment style", so its assuredly just a paper map stained brown, not actual parchment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have been given an Xbox 360. Can anyone point me towards some resources for neat things I can do with it (hacking, emulators, cord-cutting, etc)?

Eh what do you mean by cord-cutting?

As far as hacking it goes though, be aware that the multiplayer and all is still going to be kept up and running for a very long time, and hacking it will cut you out of that access at some point. There are alternative methods to play some of the titles online once your console's been banned from Live but it's often a worse time, or you end up on strictly limited servers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

fishmech posted:

Eh what do you mean by cord-cutting?

As far as hacking it goes though, be aware that the multiplayer and all is still going to be kept up and running for a very long time, and hacking it will cut you out of that access at some point. There are alternative methods to play some of the titles online once your console's been banned from Live but it's often a worse time, or you end up on strictly limited servers.

Streaming TV and such. w/r/t multiplayer, I have zero interest in it, so that's perfectly okay with me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Streaming TV and such. w/r/t multiplayer, I have zero interest in it, so that's perfectly okay with me.

You can already stream stuff off Plex or a local server a number of other services with built-in media player to the system, or use the still active applications for streaming services in the console's app store. It's expected that those will still be supported for a long while to come.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

al-azad posted:

OSSC can also have issues with changing resolution because of doubling the lines, which means the changed resolution could be unsupported by your display. My TCL TV didn't like anything but 3x for SNES, but my LG OLED works great with anything on all the consoles I tried at any doubling option. I don't actually use my OSSC with that display because I'm worried about burn in, but my Dell monitor I use also works well with anything I've tried on it, but not always up to 5x. SNES seems to have the most problems with the OSSC because of timing. I think the most likely monitors/TVs to work with an OSSC would be ones with 1:1 scaling options, and if you google your display + OSSC you can get a decent idea if it'll work. I don't feel like I lost anything really by getting an OSSC instead of framemeister.

The only issue I have is my PS2 with 480i content like was said above, but using the passthrough option works fine on my monitor. I'm planning on getting a new 27" monitor soonish that has better scaling options than the Dell one that still zooms a bit with 4:3 stuff.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 1, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hacking the 360 is fun if you’re at all skilled with a soldering iron but it involves having special tools that are kind of expensive that you’ll only ever use once. (The thing you use to dump your system’s flash memory)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I finished the MintyPi v3 build!

https://imgur.com/gallery/TXBfsEP

Because why not put a pi0 in an altoids tin for portable retro gaming lol

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

mattfl posted:

I finished the MintyPi v3 build!

https://imgur.com/gallery/TXBfsEP

Because why not put a pi0 in an altoids tin for portable retro gaming lol

Does it have shoulder buttons?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

A couple of EverDrives as I save up for that sweet SegaCD cart!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893128

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Null of Undefined posted:

Does it have shoulder buttons?

It has 2 of them in fact!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just got an email about this. Retro Fighters is doing a buy one get one 50% off on Brawler64s, if the second is red or blue. Starts tomorrow, ends Sunday, looks like.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Does this thread entertain "Games you've forgotten the name of" type requests, or is there a new thread? The one I posted in last year was archived.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DasNeonLicht posted:

Does this thread entertain "Games you've forgotten the name of" type requests, or is there a new thread? The one I posted in last year was archived.

:justpost: I don't think people will throw fits about a question.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DasNeonLicht posted:

There is a thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708&pagenumber=1

but...

Random Stranger posted:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, then! Help me remember the name of this game.
  • Point-and-click shooter, with a static field of play, and baddies emerging from cover — very Lethal Enforcers in that way, down to photo-realistic animations of the bad guys
  • It opened with an cinematic intro (video, not CGI) about how this bus full of bloodthirsty convicts (like, these guys seemed really mean) had overpowered their guards and somehow gotten ahold of a lot of guns, and it was now your job to gun down every last one of them like dogs
  • I think it had a rural or small-town setting
  • This would have been late 1996 or 1997. I'm pretty sure it was a PC application run through Windows, not DOS

Thank you! I'll try there too.

Edit: Looks like it was Bloodbath at Red Falls. Thanks, all!

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 3, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

Okay, then! Help me remember the name of this game.
  • Point-and-click shooter, with a static field of play, and baddies emerging from cover — very Lethal Enforcers in that way, down to photo-realistic animations of the bad guys
  • It opened with an cinematic intro (video, not CGI) about how this bus full of bloodthirsty convicts (like, these guys seemed really mean) had overpowered their guards and somehow gotten ahold of a lot of guns, and it was now your job to gun down every last one of them like dogs
  • I think it had a rural or small-town setting
  • This would have been late 1996 or 1997. I'm pretty sure it was a PC application run through Windows, not DOS

Thank you! I'll try there too.

Maybe Crime Patrol or its sequel? They were FMV light gun games and they got PC ports

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just played Sega Rally Championship on the Saturn for the first time, such a fun game! My favorite part? "Game over yeeaahhh!" Was not expecting that haha.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BisterdDave posted:

Just played Sega Rally Championship on the Saturn for the first time, such a fun game! My favorite part? "Game over yeeaahhh!" Was not expecting that haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7d4JVB2Uc

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
https://twitter.com/hairofthewolf/status/1138275279909076992

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

:perfect:

This is the gif that made me pull the trigger on buying a copy. Makes me wish it was on the Switch after getting it confused with Virtua Racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/HawtKoffee/status/1145542447558213632