Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Arist posted:

Ha, just had one of the pettiest moments I've ever seen in this game. I accidentally let a tank die on one of the first pulls of the 73 dungeon, and he waits until right before he steps through the exit gate at the end to type "ffs learn to heal." Come back here you coward!

That's when I add someone to my block list. I think I did that with maybe a dozen really lovely randos over the years, generally from being an asshat of some form in a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Has anyone else noticed tanks pulling like weirdos?

Most of my runs have been the tank will run up to a group, combo for 3 or 4 gcds, then abruptly run off to collect another.

WAR doesn't have an excuse since overpower is overpower, but on PLD I've found eclipse kinda awkward for grabbing packs with compared to flash so I'm usually sticking an extra gcd in to be sure.

Not sure what the heck someone would be doing with 3-4 though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Firstborn posted:

I made a Seifer outfit using best man stuff and Snow's coat so these chickenwusses know who the real breaker of guns is

I appreciate this. I think Seifer was my favorite antagonist of the Playstation 1 FFs. He wasn't an edgy anime villian in the Sephiroth or Kuja sense, he was really just a bully running rampant. His motivation throughout the story was basically "Eat poo poo, nerds". He wasn't a total lunatic, and when he's foiled at the end, he says "gently caress this sorceress bullshit", fucks off, and retires to go hang out with his homies rather than get put down like a cackling madman FF antagonist.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

Maybe a controversial opinion, but they could probably drop MP for RDM and SMN and it'd be fine. Currently, most jobs don't touch it at all, and while it's important for healers to have a finite resource, the only non-healer jobs that interact with MP in any meaningful way are PLD, DRK, and BLM. So keep MP for them and just drop it from RDM and SMN, who have their own specific resources already anyway (black/white mana and aetherflow, respectively).

I don't usually suggest making things more like WoW but that's one area where I think WoW's approach makes sense. Healers use mana, Arcane Mages use mana, and everyone else either has their own resource or just doesn't bother with a resource at all (including Fire and Frost Mages).

SMN and RDM still use MP because they can rez people. If RDM lost MP it would almost certainly lose vercure and verraise.

The MP changes look to me like a deliberate attempt to cut down on combat rezing. Making it a thing the combat jobs can only do once or twice every few minutes instead of dragging 3 other dps through Lakshmi because they die to hand of beauty every, singe, time.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Unhappy Meal posted:

WAR doesn't have an excuse since overpower is overpower, but on PLD I've found eclipse kinda awkward for grabbing packs with compared to flash so I'm usually sticking an extra gcd in to be sure.

Not sure what the heck someone would be doing with 3-4 though.

Overpower doesn't generate additional enmity anymore

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suspected this would be a plot beat in some shape or fashion, good to see my instincts for detecting Ascian plots weren't far off.

I suspected this early on too but I didn't quite guess the plot correctly. I had thought he was going along with it because he knew eating five wardens worth of light would kill you and thus rid him of his biggest threat with no risk to himself. Turns out he was actually hoping you could handle it and prove you were worthy of his respect. Failing that and having it kill you was just plan B, because all good masterminds set up their plots so even when things don't pan out they still win.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Does GNB's mitigation get any better in the end game? I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to PLD. Especially in big pulls where you give up on the little bit of self-heal/shield from the st combo.

Also, about interrupting. I love interrupting in wow, and I was really happy to see them make it more important in XIV. But some reason I seldom able to properly interrupt. I think it's a mix of how fast the casts are, me having changed my hotbar to fit the new skills, and maybe even the nature of the rotations in the game, but by the time my brain gets it all sorted, it's usually too late.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mormon Mother posted:

theres a lot of weird warrior changes that i don't like. i feel a lot weaker than i did at level 70 and it kinda blows. can't overheal myself like crazy anymore, even inner chaos doesn't hit as hard as my fell cleaves used to. (i know i know, warrior was OP before but it still stings to get nerfed)

does having more beast gauge still give extra crit chance? or is that just gone?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of tanks, I'm a bit miffed about WAR's AoE rotation.

PLD now has Total Eclipse -> Prominence. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
DRK has Unleash -> Stalwart Soul. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
GUN has Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter... Both of which a 5y radius centered on your character.

WAR has... Overpower (8y targetted cone in front of your character) -> Mythril Tempest (5y radius centered on your character).

So with PLD, DRK and GUN you can just run into/past a pack of enemies, then hit AoE (no targetting required) and grab aggro from every enemy in said pack, then adjust a bit so the enemies are all facing one direction and all that good tank best practises jazz.

With WAR you actually have to target one of the enemies, then line yourself up so your initial overpower hits the rest, then after you establish aggro you end up in a position where your overpower may be hitting enemies in the back of the pack but Mythril Tempest doesn't, so you need to reposition yourself, but now that you've moved the enemy you're targetting doesn't line your Overpower up correctly and ugh. It's particularly annoying if you need to start moving a bit to avoid enemy AoEs.

Overpower being a cone rather than a radius made sense as a tradeoff when PLD had Flash and Unleash was kinda meh damage-wise, but now I'm thinking Overpower should be radius centered on you and not a cone in front.

I'm not going all "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE" btw, it's a minor annoyance at best, but I play WAR so i'm really noticing it. :kiddo:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mormon Mother posted:

Everything a warrior does generates enmity baseline so long as you turn defiance on. Say what you will about the state of tanking in Shadowbringers, holding hate, even in groups, is 100% not an issue. If you have Defiance/Royal Guard/ whatever turned on, you will not lose hate assuming you're doing anything at all. Hate management is braindead easy as a tank this expansion, especially since you don't have to worry about TP management for AoE groups. Nobody I've grouped with has even come close to stealing hate from me in any situation I've been in thus far unless I stopped fighting to go play with my cats IRL.

Edit: ^^^ Lead with a mythril tempest then, even without the bonus damage it'll get the mobs attention long enough for you to get into position and start with the regular AoE combo.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pigbottom posted:

Does GNB's mitigation get any better in the end game? I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to PLD. Especially in big pulls where you give up on the little bit of self-heal/shield from the st combo.

Also, about interrupting. I love interrupting in wow, and I was really happy to see them make it more important in XIV. But some reason I seldom able to properly interrupt. I think it's a mix of how fast the casts are, me having changed my hotbar to fit the new skills, and maybe even the nature of the rotations in the game, but by the time my brain gets it all sorted, it's usually too late.

Just by thinking about interrupting, you're already ahead of most players. There was an A rank fight I spent 5+ minutes killing last night that has a mechanic you have to interrupt, and I ended up having to do it myself every single time.

For the most part things you can interrupt with Interject or Head Graze at all have relatively long cast times (3-5 seconds) and brand new flashing cast bars. Once you train yourself to watch for them you should have plenty of room to stop it. There are some faster moves that can be interrupted with actual stuns, but those don't necessarily get the flashing cast bar.

E: speaking of which, interrupt immunity doesn't seem to be a thing like silence and stun immunity used to be. Which kind of makes Blu's Flying Sardine and Bad Breath potentially very strong in the right circumstances because they're on GCD rather than 30 second cool down.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
They should switch Tempest and Overpower's position in the combo, let it be centered around the WAR like everyone else, and then you get the cone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

PLD now has Total Eclipse -> Prominence. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
DRK has Unleash -> Stalwart Soul. Both are a 5y radius centered on your character.
GUN has Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter... Both of which a 5y radius centered on your character.

WAR has... Overpower (8y targetted cone in front of your character) -> Mythril Tempest (5y radius centered on your character).

So with PLD, DRK and GUN you can just run into/past a pack of enemies, then hit AoE (no targetting required) and grab aggro from every enemy in said pack, then adjust a bit so the enemies are all facing one direction and all that good tank best practises jazz.

With WAR you actually have to target one of the enemies, then line yourself up so your initial overpower hits the rest, then after you establish aggro you end up in a position where your overpower may be hitting enemies in the back of the pack but Mythril Tempest doesn't, so you need to reposition yourself, but now that you've moved the enemy you're targetting doesn't line your Overpower up correctly and ugh. It's particularly annoying if you need to start moving a bit to avoid enemy AoEs.

Overpower being a cone rather than a radius made sense as a tradeoff when PLD had Flash and Unleash was kinda meh damage-wise, but now I'm thinking Overpower should be radius centered on you and not a cone in front.

I'm not going all "THIS IS UNPLAYABLE" btw, it's a minor annoyance at best, but I play WAR so i'm really noticing it. :kiddo:

Finally the turn tables.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

DeathSandwich posted:

Everything a warrior does generates enmity baseline so long as you turn defiance on. Say what you will about the state of tanking in Shadowbringers, holding hate, even in groups, is 100% not an issue. If you have Defiance/Royal Guard/ whatever turned on, you will not lose hate assuming you're doing anything at all. Hate management is braindead easy as a tank this expansion, especially since you don't have to worry about TP management for AoE groups.

Edit: ^^^ Lead with a mythril tempest then, even without the bonus damage it'll get the mobs attention long enough for you to get into position and start with the regular AoE combo.

For the most part you are correct but if you have aggressive DPS or healer and try to overpower and sprint to the next pack, you can easily lose threat. Getting it back isn't a problem but it's still an annoying thing that happens now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mormon Mother posted:

For the most part you are correct but if you have aggressive DPS or healer and try to overpower and sprint to the next pack, you can easily lose threat. Getting it back isn't a problem but it's still an annoying thing that happens now.

'Happens now'? That has literally always been a thing that happens, even back in my ARR/HW hellpulling hayday. If your DPS is going full bore 3 seconds into the fight before you get the mobs where you want them, they kind of deserve to take a couple of karate chops to the chin. Let them eat poo poo once or twice, they'll learn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Out of curiosity if you're just doing damage to grab, why not use Mythril Tempest instead?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just got out of an expert roulette and the tank didn't have his AF set. He was in mostly 412/418 poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe the Crystal Exarch was actually literally the only person it could've been since the only other people who used it were evil. I'm honestly surprised they held off on the twist this long, especially since you can ask about G'raha Tia near the start of the MSQ!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ImpAtom posted:

Out of curiosity if you're just doing damage to grab, why not use Mythril Tempest instead?

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, I've started doing it after a few times where I'd miss an enemy with the initial overpower only for the DNC to pick up aggro from said enemy because DNC AoE is 15y so I had to double back or tomahawk said straggler back in line :v:

Again, it's not an insurmountable issue, just a minor nitpick I noticed after faffing about with the other tanks and noting WAR was the odd one out now with regards to their AoE "rotation".

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
What's the highest APM Tank class now? GNB or DRK?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

SMN and RDM still use MP because they can rez people. If RDM lost MP it would almost certainly lose vercure and verraise.

The MP changes look to me like a deliberate attempt to cut down on combat rezing. Making it a thing the combat jobs can only do once or twice every few minutes instead of dragging 3 other dps through Lakshmi because they die to hand of beauty every, singe, time.

I forgot about that. You could just slap a cooldown on Vercure, Verraise, and SMN Resurrection, though admittedly that'd cute down on flexibility and wouldn't be all that interesting a solution. So maybe keeping MP is for the best.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

DeathSandwich posted:

'Happens now'? That has literally always been a thing that happens, even back in my ARR/HW hellpulling hayday. If your DPS is going full bore 3 seconds into the fight before you get the mobs where you want them, they kind of deserve to take a couple of karate chops to the chin. Let them eat poo poo once or twice, they'll learn.

In my experience, one defiance overpower was enough to hold aggro during a wall pull all through stormblood (I didn't play warrior in ARR or HW so I can't speak for that), barring the very rare few times. It seems like it happens at least once per dungeon now. Even when running with pubs or the group of friends that I play with. Like I said, it's not a big deal or anything, just an observation.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's even funnier running past with bots. Unless you do 2-3 attacks before you double pull Alisaie in particular will just rip hate off of you and once that happens they just stand there and die because they don't know what to do.

It's okay though because you die immediately afterwards since you have no team which just resets everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mormon Mother posted:

In my experience, one defiance overpower was enough to hold aggro during a wall pull all through stormblood (I didn't play warrior in ARR or HW so I can't speak for that), barring the very rare few times. It seems like it happens at least once per dungeon now. Even when running with pubs or the group of friends that I play with. Like I said, it's not a big deal or anything, just an observation.

I can say at least in SB when I went Full Black Mage at the start of a pull it would be hard for a lot of tanks to keep off me unless I used diversion

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Edmond Dantes posted:

-snip-

A couple of things I'd comment on here, speaking as an 80 war. First, Overpower is an extremely wide cone and so far I haven't had any problems hitting everything by momentarily moving to the "outside" of a swirling pack of mobs and hitting the button. Usually you have to do that anyway in a big enough pull as there's constant AoEs on the ground, and in AoE situations it's not like mob position and facing matters as long as they're in any given DoT puddle on the ground.

You are correct in that there's a small amount of extra busywork on initial pulls - I have to overpower, pause, and then hit mythril tempest to make sure I've gotten everything. But that's only a delay of a second or two which is pretty negligible in practice, and I do that even when overpower grabbed everything anyway, as I want the extension to storm's eye when running to the next pack.

Second and far more important, those are not your only tools in your AoE arsenal and a lot more of your AoE damage should be coming from Chaotic Cyclone, Decimate, and IR spam. Presumably all the tank classes have a basic AoE rotation that builds resource which you spend on a better AoE option, but Warrior gets a lot of extra buttons to just jump to the better stuff immediately, and prudent use of those can really speed up larger packs. If you look at the potency numbers in comparison to other tank AoEs you see what they're going for - your AoE damage is more favoured towards gauge spenders, and Overpower/Tempest are there just to bridge the gap between them and keep your damage buff up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't believe the Crystal Exarch was actually literally the only person it could've been since the only other people who used it were evil. I'm honestly surprised they held off on the twist this long, especially since you can ask about G'raha Tia near the start of the MSQ!

To be fair he had been “The Crystal Exarch” for a lifetime. He even comments at one point he had nearly disassociated himself from who he had once been. He has lived a LONG time. At least a century helping the Ironworks with the crazy scheme and then almost another century in The First.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

in regards to another class i was thinking of leveling: machinist feels a lot less cohesive to me now. the basic 1-2-3 combo and cooldowns like drill are easy to figure out but im not sure when i should be using wildfire or hypercharge now. is it really best to just spam heat blast during overheat/wildfire? it feels very clunky to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A question about SMN, when exactly am I supposed to be clicking my egi-assaults? Inbetween hard casts? or should I be weaving ruin 2's in so I can use them during the GCD?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kerrzhe posted:

im not sure when i should be using wildfire or hypercharge now. is it really best to just spam heat blast during overheat/wildfire? it feels very clunky to me.

Whenever you have 50 heat and drill/air anchor won't come off cooldown during the duration, and yes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kurieg posted:

A question about SMN, when exactly am I supposed to be clicking my egi-assaults? Inbetween hard casts? or should I be weaving ruin 2's in so I can use them during the GCD?

Use them during DWT when you have instant cast Ruin 3, then use the stocked up Ruin 4s during Bahamut phase for more casts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fister Roboto posted:

Use them during DWT when you have instant cast Ruin 3, then use the stocked up Ruin 4s during Bahamut phase for more casts.

But doesn't bahamut no longer wyrmwave off of instant cast spells?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Correct, but enkindle bahamut/phoenix is itself an ogcd.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean, it's really strong but it also costs a lot of GCDs.

The steps do not take a full GCD, so it's pretty fast. You should use standard and technical on cooldown in nearly all cases.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kurieg posted:

The tooltip says he uses WW when you cast a spell. I'm assuming that means all spells work whether instant or not, but abilities (TriD, Fester, Virus, etc) do not.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Kerrzhe posted:

in regards to another class i was thinking of leveling: machinist feels a lot less cohesive to me now. the basic 1-2-3 combo and cooldowns like drill are easy to figure out but im not sure when i should be using wildfire or hypercharge now. is it really best to just spam heat blast during overheat/wildfire? it feels very clunky to me.

Hypercharge on CD unless Wildfire is coming off CD soon. Spam Heat Blast while weaving alternating Gauss and Richochets in during overheat. Until you get some haste, you'll need to fit a normal attack in at the end of Overcharge to fully utilize Wildfire. MCH starts off feeling clunky, but eventually as you get used to it, the job has a really nice rhythm to it.

My biggest advice for new MCHs is to make sure to keep Drill and Air Anchor (when you get it) on CD and line it up with Reassemble whenever it comes off CD. Do not wait on Reassemble to use Drill. This leads into my only real gripe about the class: Drill consistently does the most damage out of all of your abilities while more mechanics intensive abilities like Wildfire and Queen Automaton are small portions of your DPS.

Then again, it's hard to complain about having a 700 potency attack on a 20s CD that you can force crits on. :v:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Kerrzhe posted:

theres a lot of weird warrior changes that i don't like. i feel a lot weaker than i did at level 70 and it kinda blows. can't overheal myself like crazy anymore, even inner chaos doesn't hit as hard as my fell cleaves used to. (i know i know, warrior was OP before but it still stings to get nerfed)

does having more beast gauge still give extra crit chance? or is that just gone?

None of the abilities generate additional enmity anymore (except Tomahawk?). You just put Defiance up and you're set.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Riftling posted:

Hypercharge on CD unless Wildfire is coming off CD soon. Spam Heat Blast while weaving alternating Gauss and Richochets in during overheat. Until you get some haste, you'll need to fit a normal attack in at the end of Overcharge to fully utilize Wildfire. MCH starts off feeling clunky, but eventually as you get used to it, the job has a really nice rhythm to it.

My biggest advice for new MCHs is to make sure to keep Drill and Air Anchor (when you get it) on CD and line it up with Reassemble whenever it comes off CD. Do not wait on Reassemble to use Drill. This leads into my only real gripe about the class: Drill consistently does the most damage out of all of your abilities while more mechanics intensive abilities like Wildfire and Queen Automaton are small portions of your DPS.

Then again, it's hard to complain about having a 700 potency attack on a 20s CD that you can force crits on. :v:

Not just critical hits, but critical direct hits.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Live Free posted:

What's the highest APM Tank class now? GNB or DRK?

definitely GNB, drk has a lot too but is gated by mana and wants to hold 3000 if they'll need TBN

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I just reached the north part of the Eulmore region map and reached 78, just doing random quests at the moment.

The story has been pretty strong and solid so far, but without spoilers, when can I expect things to really start getting crazy here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaX posted:

So I just reached the north part of the Eulmore region map and reached 78, just doing random quests at the moment.

The story has been pretty strong and solid so far, but without spoilers, when can I expect things to really start getting crazy here?

The next dungeon. You're close.