Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well it went up against Threshold and lost at the Emmy's

What the gently caress??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well it went up against Threshold and lost at the Emmy's

Bullshit, prove it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I... I broke my nose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They were both nominated for best makeup.

The Visitor should have won, in some scenes he didn't even look like Cirroc Lofton

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress??

It was for make-up work. The one thing Threshold is unambiguously good at.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

It was for make-up work. The one thing Threshold is unambiguously good at.

Fair.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I had Equinox Pt. I on last night in the background and when it gets to the part where the Equinox captain is introducing some of his crew members, one of them is named Edward Gregious, E. Gregious, and I was furious

If I ever write one I'm having a chief engineer named Manuél O. Verride.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Iron Crowned posted:

Devil in the Dark is a really good episode. I kinda wish Star Trek as a whole had leaned more into alien biology being actually alien like they did with that episode.

They tried when they could, and early TNG was really good about giving you different aliens with implied bizarre biology like the Farpoint aliens (large enough that there are corridors you can walk through), Bynars (aliens that pair up and turned themselves into cyborgs), the Crystalline Entity (large crystal that devours living things to survive), Energy Cloud entity (energy that can get sucked into a person), the Homesoil Silicon crystal entities ("microbrain" creature that can interface with the computer), Conspiracy's parasites (aliens that latch onto the host). That was before the TOS writers were driven off by Gene's self-destruction, his lovely lawyer, and Rick Berman.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Season 3: Sarek

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zLqJZ_zwQ

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

I have deliberately not sought out and watched all of these because every time one of you links a relevant one that I have not seen (happens pretty often) it is such a delight.

E: Hearing o'brien say gently caress you genuinely caught me off guard and yet it was not out of place at all. Amazing.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 3, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Back onto BSG and Scar is still one of my favourite episodes.

EDIT: Lol and I forgot they immediately followed it up with the "Billy's actor wanted off the show so they just loving murdered him" episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 3, 2019

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So uhh.. i just realized Khan is a boomer. In hindsight, this should have been more obvious to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC someone floated the idea that the Augments banded together and brutally conquered the world because they spent their lives being told they were perfect supermen and having the traits to back it up, and it gave them all hella complexes as a result.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

im pretty sure it explicitly says that during the enterprise arc

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

im pretty sure it explicitly says that during the enterprise arc

It explicitly says it in the TOS episode too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Figures, I need to actually watch more of that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I remember when Tom Paris... uh...

I remember when Tom Paris built a spaceship and then wanted to gently caress the spaceship.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Captain, I'm trying to sneak through the Delta Quadrant, but my nacelles are dummy thicc, and the clap of my warp signature keeps alerting the Borg

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lamebot posted:

So uhh.. i just realized Khan is a boomer. In hindsight, this should have been more obvious to me.

That can't be, he was in cryosleep long before the events of Bubblegum Crisis.

:v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It explicitly says it in the TOS episode too.

Pretty sure Space Seed just says "superior abilities breeds superior ambition" or something like that, not "they were told they were going to conquer the world, who'da thunk they'd actually try it?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ensign Expendable posted:

I remember when Tom Paris built a spaceship and then wanted to gently caress the spaceship.
Those are separate episodes at least

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Remember when Tom Paris became a salamander that occupied all Janeway space simultaneously?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Remember when Tom Paris became a salamander that occupied all Janeway space simultaneously?

This is the real reason Tom got promoted back to Lieutenant

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

Salamander Tom hit the back walls of that cloaca.

naem
May 29, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I wonder how you handle an HR complaint when you’re 70 years from home

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in the star trek future humanity has evolved beyond human resources departments

naem
May 29, 2011

HUU MON REEE SORS

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

human resources is a racist concept in starfleet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
star trek really, really likes using the term humanity to mean "good sentient life" at every opportunity.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

star trek really, really likes using the term humanity to mean "good sentient life" at every opportunity.

Kirk said it best when he told Spock that everybody's human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOOfwNA0es

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I finished The Captain's Hand and then went right into BSG: Razor. This is only the second time I've actually watched the film, and really the only time I've watched the film. The first time I sought it out because I was still hesitant on the rebooted series and I wanted to see the oldschool cylons, and as a result I had no idea what the gently caress was going on for the entirety of the runtime.

On my second watch, it's not that great. It is pretty much an extended two part episode but it is so bogged down in references, fan service and interludes that go nowhere that it is pretty much impenetrable to someone who hasn't already watched the series all the way through. Also way too many goddamn flashbacks, to the point where Cain got her own flashback in the middle of Shaw's flashback(ception). Razor simultaneously wants to be a late season 2 two-parter, a prequel and an origin story for a Very Special Character who isn't all that interesting. I don't much care for Shaw as a character, nor do I think the movie does a good job of trying to make Cain sympathetic. If they had kept with Cain's descent into darkness the flashbacks could have been condensed into one episode's runtime and made a dark parallel to Galactica's journey, with Pegasus showing how much worse things could have gone if Adama wasn't the man he was and who he had counseling him.

It was also really bad at setting up action or tension, something the main TV show does exceptionally well, even in bad episodes. I attribute this to all the jumping around with flashbacks, because there is no buildup to any action scene, just "boop", now things are exploding. Shaw reports aboard Pegasus and now it's exploding. Adama has a flashback to when he first learned to smash toaster heads with appliances, explosions, whoops now we're attacking the Bentusi Harbour ship to stop Campbell Lane from skinning people like a Viidian and selling ion weaponry to the Kushan and Higaarans, better throw in some more cylons and have them beep out by your command because I know what that is.

On their own, each of these plot threads could form a decent enough story, but when they're mashed together with wonky transitions, too many flashbacks and CGI that is not being done any favours by HD screens, the whole package comes across as a mess. I don't care about Shaw, but I do care about Adama, Lee and Starbuck, and they're playing supporting roles in a movie with a bland lead and no major B plot to latch onto. Baltar's whole scene was a waste of time so that they could throw more Head Six in there to offset the horror of post-rape Gina Six and it is so blatantly forced fan service I just groaned. Just make a prequel episode set in the First Cylon War for your spinoff. Make a flashback episode about Cain. Make a Star Trek 50th Anniversary special like Trials and Tribble-ations where the Galactica battles classic Raiders and Baseships. Just don't mangle them all together like Razor did and end up with each plot fighting for runtime.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SavageGentleman posted:

I really wish for a remake of Enterprise that focuses on Humans being extremely hosed-up newbies in space.

Earlier launch of an Enterprise that
- is mostly rigged-together from other stuff (maybe even some old missiles) and a few Vulcan gifts after the cooler looking sister ships were lost in space
-packs literally old nukes and has no shields whatsoever
- is crewed by people who still experienced WW3 and have a lot of experience in improvising - while still wnating to make the world a better place
-isn't always monitored by rear end in a top hat Vulcans. In fact the Vulcans could be more friendly, but also way too busy to hold our hands with their own crazy space poo poo exploding in their faces all the time.
- is in fact pretty lovely, but improves in performance as the crew literally bolts on better stuff they bought / scavenged / bartered with weird ETs.

They can still have a dog onboard for all I care.

So basically I want Star trek: Bebop?

edit: The ship could even have a Saucer section - from a crashed UFO. Tape it to the remains of a spce frighter and voila!

You might enjoy Star Control 2, large parts of Humanity's backstory are basically this

The main ship is a gigantic easily moddable hyperdrive scaffold, and you can have human ships in your fleet that are saucers bolted to tubes that fire nuclear missiles mothballed after WWIII was narrowly averted

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Phy posted:

You might enjoy Star Control 2, large parts of Humanity's backstory are basically this

The main ship is a gigantic easily moddable hyperdrive scaffold, and you can have human ships in your fleet that are saucers bolted to tubes that fire nuclear missiles mothballed after WWIII was narrowly averted

I believe it's also still available as an open source game called Ur-Quan Masters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think you're conflating two Tom Paris ship plots. He built the delta flyer but didn't want to gently caress it. He wanted to gently caress Alice, but he didn't build it he just bought it from a junk dealer and fixed it up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That can't be, he was in cryosleep long before the events of Bubblegum Crisis.

:v:

Dammit, I laughed and got this reference :allears:.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty sure Space Seed just says "superior abilities breeds superior ambition" or something like that, not "they were told they were going to conquer the world, who'da thunk they'd actually try it?"

Eh. Same difference.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think you're conflating two Tom Paris ship plots. He built the delta flyer but didn't want to gently caress it. He wanted to gently caress Alice, but he didn't build it he just bought it from a junk dealer and fixed it up.

he hosed the delta flyer off-screen, is all. paris was only conflicted about the ai because he isn't used to loving self-aware shuttles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kirk would have hosed the Enterprise if he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

well she wouldn't permit him to have his own life.